AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

View Poll Results: Rate the series (final rating)
Perfect 10 54 17.14%
9 out of 10 64 20.32%
8 out of 10 101 32.06%
7 out of 10 54 17.14%
6 out of 10 17 5.40%
5 out of 10 11 3.49%
4 out of 10 8 2.54%
3 out of 10 3 0.95%
2 out of 10 1 0.32%
1 out of 10 2 0.63%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-11-18, 08:10   Link #201
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlv View Post
And when he talk about reason Kaede's mother die, if she need a reason to live why he can't say something other.
don't you have a unrealistic view of what a 6 (maybe 8) year old child is able to figure out ... he was hard pressed from several sides, wanting to save one of his dear friends ...
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 12:07   Link #202
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
could we somehow take this to Kaede thread or at least in the proper one? b'coz i honestly think you guys are in the wrong thread to be talking about such.

regarding tlv's hatred.. don't worry dude i feel your pain, it's just.. the way it is.

ahh-- this takes me back to the old days when the clubs are still alive and active
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 14:58   Link #203
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

nah ... i'm quite happy that the highly militant and vocal KKK have died (you actually got a notice for being just that on Tvtropes .. think its under ship to ship combat)
Old 2008-11-18, 23:12   Link #204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just to be straight - several of the 'shipping groups were "highly militant and vocal" about 'their girl'. No reason to single one out.

Most members of the various groups seem to have gone on to better more productive posts after rehabilitation from that incident.
Old 2008-11-19, 00:38   Link #205
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
yeah, there is no need to single one out. Every group had their share of issues before not only one.
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 03:47   Link #206
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

every group had issues to some degree yeah ... but KKK was the most militant nonetheless
Old 2008-11-20, 01:48   Link #207
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sian View Post
every group had issues to some degree yeah ... but KKK was the most militant nonetheless
I agree. That was what put me off registering until now. Really horrifying.

The KKK were REALLY like the KKK (the white-supremacist Ku Klux Klan) of the USA. Really! Horrid, they way they treated Asa's fans. People who jumped ship from KAede to Asa, I hear, were hounded via PM everyday. Or at least my cousin tells me.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 20:13   Link #208
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's a reason 'shipping threads/clubs were banned. Not really relevant to this thread, eh? This will end up being a flame war trading stories about how specific individuals from each club were rude and abusive. Hint....

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-20 at 20:36.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 20:47   Link #209
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Ok, read this sign.

Change topic: Do you prefer season 1 or the remake? I thought the first was still better than the second.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 01:59   Link #210
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The rehash .... doesn't even count as a series in my eyes - it was a terrible attempt to cash in a few more dollars on the series.

From what I recall, the original series was broadcast on a pay-tv-cable. The rehash was shown on "free" tv to try and create some buzz to bolster DVD sales. Other than some interesting eye-catch stills and that painfully animated last omake episode it had nothing for veterans of the first season. In fact, the rehash created new pain in that the wild variation in art and animation from episode to episode was glaringly obvious as they cut from scene to scene (this was much easier to miss in the first season without careful comparison).

At least there's the manga, collected manga shorts by other authors, and the doujinshi -- as well as the game itself.

For my part, I enjoy large segments of the first season with the caveat that the arcs were poorly integrated and ended, the transition between the Kaede arc and the Asa arc was a writing disaster in terms of the character behavior (which generated a lot of the fan angst). The scuttlebutt is that there was poor communication between the supervisors for those arcs. It also didn't help that the source material for Asa is pretty weak in the logic department. The pseudo-reset at the end was seriously annoying though there was a moment of brilliance between the two kings and Asa's mother. I was fine with the "choice" (I'd have been fine with any choice) but I thought it was odd for them to spend so much energy on a possible polygamous ending without doing it.

It wasn't *terrible* -- obviously I cared enough for it to still take the time to write about it. But I found their execution disappointing given the premise and the interesting worlds they had created. Integrating the story arcs of an eroge is always tough and trying something innovative is a great idea but you have to have the skills to execute.

Note: I should state I was a bit of a Nerine fan but quickly realized that Primula's story was edging her to the sidelines. At that point, I figured it would either go Asa (based on early episode events and Nerine's sharp eyes) or go polygamy (Sia/Nerine/Kaede). Not too much later it became clear it was Asa for the home run as Kaede got trampled by events as she thrashed around in her mental despair. After all that angst and drama, it just made that last episode very hollow and insincere feeling.

Needless to say, the game and the manga are quite different.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-04-28 at 23:44.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 12:29   Link #211
Tabris

At the time, I'd have given it at 9, because I well and truly enjoyed it, as well as all the banter between each fangroup. Despite the plotholes and such, as well as Asa's silly behaviour (but that goes for the game too), I still liked parts of the story, even if it didn't gel together all that well.

Now, I'd probably give it like a 6 or 7, but whatever, I voted it an 8.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 13:40   Link #212
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Needless to say, the game and the manga are quite different.
And are both quite superior to the anime, with the manga being better in my opinion.

Spoiler for Manga:
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 08:56   Link #213
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Animation 7: Slightly odd feel, and unbalanced. Rather dark, but that's the mood, right? Still, compared to some chaepskate ones like Gainax, it fares relatively well.

Sound 7: BGMs leave no major impression, but were great for the story itself. More than passable, but not an A.

Characters/Voice 8: Great voicing. Recognize some voices from Haruhi (Watching both simultaneously) Sia = Kyon's sis, Kaede = Mikuru.

Story 8: Great start, rushed ending. On the other hand, Kanon 2006 had a rushed start to middle, and slow end. Odd, huh?

Enjoyment 8: For some reason, the ending dropped this sector to 7.

Total: 7 x 2 + 8 x 3 = 14 + 24 = 38
Average: 7.6
Rounded up to 8.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 00:36   Link #214
kaizer63

Send a message via AIM to kaizer63
So I just finished watching Shuffle! a few days ago and I've got mixed feelings about it. As far as just having something mildly entertaining to watch it was great and I finally got to know the feeling of having 'my girl' win.

On the other hand, that was one of the worst endings to a series I've seen in a while, topped only by Myself; Yourself. I don't really have any (real) complaints about the series until the Asa arc either. The Kaede arc really felt out of place to me, but it was a good out of place and I enjoyed the sudden change in atmosphere and the distinct lack of Nerine never bothered me. But, Asa was bad and so was her conclusion. I think "because it'll make mom sad" is possibly the most contrived reason anyone could come up with to NOT save their lives, especially given that it's made clear that her mom loves her more than anything and the last thing she wants to see is her dead. I saw Asa as one of the most level-headed characters throughout the whole thing and then they just dump this on you? If I wasn't so close to the end I might've dropped the series right there.

I also might be the only person who wasn't satisfied with how Rin got Asa to use her magic. I saw it coming from the moment he picked up the knife and never used it leaving me with no sense of suspense. It might be ingenious, but it was just a little to predictable. The whole scene also made Asa's decision to die make a lot less sense given the reason she saved him was by using the same logic she was denying in saving herself. (That is, if he, someone I care about, dies I'll be alone and cry. Wasn't her mother supposed to feel the same way about her...)

Besides the trainwreck ending, the series was about average. The animation fluctuated between "good-enough for me" and "bad" but it wasn't consistently bad enough for me to care.

Characterizations, until the end, were actually quite good and I enjoyed the more gradual growth of Primula and how Kaede slowly slipped into psycho mode starting with the first episode. Since I never really saw Nerine as "in the game" I really enjoyed watching her slowly opening up to her non-Rin related peers. Sia was interesting, but I never really saw her go anywhere. In fact, she actually regressed a bit in my eyes after she had to write herself out (the first time) for plot reasons. At least she didn't have a complete turn-around though. Also, loved the two Kings and Mayumi was one of the most entertaining side-characters ever.

I can't really comment much on the voice acting, but it was again, good. I actually watched half of the series in dub on hulu before I decided to get subs. Amazingly, I think the dub did a better job for Sia, spot-on for Asa, Mayumi, Kareha, the Kings, and Ama, and Primula would've been perfect had she ever spoken above 2 decibels so that you could actually hear her (that's the reason why I switched to subs actually).

So, despite using no numbers whatsoever before now, I'd have to rate the series at about 6.4. I've seen much larger train wrecks than this and it gave me enough enjoyment that I can ignore the what happened in the end and will probably watch it again some day.

EDIT:
And while this is waaay late to the party, I do have an answer for what Vexx called a plothole--why Rin and Kaede didn't know about Asa's sickness: The simple answer is because they didn't know her then. The long way is that Asa mention she got sick when she was little, and while I don't think she specifically said she got better as she got older, saying she was sick when she was little does imply she got better. That, and she's obviously not sick before the plot says so. After she was older and better, she never actually met the two until her third year of junior high. I don't remember the exact episode for this, but I'm fairly certain it's around when they start dating. Since Asa's a year older than the them and was a second year student, third year by the end of the series that means (assuming they met at the beginning of her third year of junior high) they've at best known each other for 4 years by the time they start dating. She's long since been "grown" out of her childhood sicknesses and the other two are none the wiser. Of course, why she suddenly got sick again... that is the plothole.

Last edited by kaizer63; 2008-12-03 at 01:20.
kaizer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 01:15   Link #215
Nalio

Send a message via AIM to Nalio
Spoiler for quote length:

You said it all. I even agree with a worse ending anime being Myself; Yourself. Seriously, good call.

The series had me hooked until I realized Rin is not my style for a lead <_< Much too indecisive, too whiny. If they would have stuck Tomoya from Clannad in there instead of Rin the series would have been much better in my opinion.

Overall though I gave it a 7, mainly because all of the girls, especially Nerine and Primula really kept my interest. (Except Kaede, man, what a psycho.)
Nalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 11:10   Link #216
KimmyChan

I'd give it a perfect rating of 10 as it's a very enjoyable series & so very me
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 19:54   Link #217
Seitsuki
Onee!

8/10 for the Asa path and scaaary Kaede xD
Old 2009-05-11, 17:16   Link #218
Adryanmh

I liked it too and i rated it 10 because it's one of my favs series .
Adryanmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 03:46   Link #219
animeffs13240
V for Victory

just finished watching it... first few episode i liked but when things started to become serious i almost dropped it. i felt that it was just a bunch of animes thrown into one (had flashbacks of elfien lied in the kaede arc) not too mention some parts were very predicatible but the last episode saved the series in my opinion but overall not that bad of a series ill probably watch it again (but only the funny episodes)
Old 2009-07-07, 21:02   Link #220
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

I'm gonna have to give it an 8 out of 10.

While the was series enjoyable, I thought that the last bit of it could have been a lot better.

And, While Kaede is probably one of my favorite characters, I didn't like the flashbacks with her attempting to hurt Rin.

I also found Asa to be VERY annoying in the beginning half of the series, her (most of the time) endles amount of energy was very annoying to me.
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote