1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-18, 16:47   Link #41
Dreamtale
Recursion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Modern men at least tend to behave logically.
For many people nowadays logic is an atavism

subj: only i thought that this moon-haunting (or something like this) bear who destroyed Horo's hometown is actually Amati?
Old 2009-07-18, 17:01   Link #42
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazthemax View Post
I liked this episode a lot, especially the legend that fit Horo so well.

Spoiler for I've read the novel:
That's what it did to me too while reading, and I hope the anime will be able to live up to that.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-07-18, 17:29   Link #43
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
I wonder why they thought that women didn't have souls. Did they have some evidence to go on or did someone claim it arbitrarily? Modern men at least tend to behave logically. We need evidence before we make outrageous claims (i know im overgeneralizing and there are many many exceptions).

Its funny that they though of them as dogs or chickens and we still do today. People call women bitches, chicks etc.
It's not really all that surprising when you consider that, according to the Bible, Eve was created from a rib taken out of Adam, and God had originally created her to serve as a helper to Adam. I am a Christian myself, but what nemo mentioned is a perfect instance of how a distorted interpretation of religion could be used to fuel male chauvinism.
Old 2009-07-18, 17:36   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I wonder why they thought that women didn't have souls. Did they have some evidence to go on or did someone claim it arbitrarily? Modern men at least tend to behave logically. We need evidence before we make outrageous claims (i know im overgeneralizing and there are many many exceptions).
Modern men, like medieval men, don't actually think much, "logically" or otherwise. And a claim isn't "outrageous" if it's common sense (common as in "everyone thinks the same").

It wouldn't surprise me if, 500 years down the line, some of our most common assumptions are judged "stupid" or "outrageous" by some guy on some future equivalent of the internet.
Old 2009-07-18, 17:42   Link #45
Dreamtale
Recursion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Modern men, like medieval men, don't actually think
It wouldn't surprise me if, 500 years down the line, some of our most common assumptions are judged "stupid" or "outrageous" by some guy on some future equivalent of the internet.
With inquisitors as moderators
Old 2009-07-18, 18:04   Link #46
Journeyman
That boring guy

Gave it a rating of 9.

Points worth mentioning:

1) Horo actually snores
2) There are quite a few birds in the alchemists' ghetto, not a single one outside of it. Probably fed and used as a food or poisonous gas detector?
3) Well done on introducing and developing Bartose in such a short timeframe. A minor, but rather interesting character...
3)
Spoiler for Horo's behavior:

Quote:
subj: only i thought that this moon-haunting (or something like this) bear who destroyed Horo's hometown is actually Amati?
Shall we light the bonfires then? Nay, he is just a ungrateful manipulative swine...
Old 2009-07-18, 18:14   Link #47
Dreamtale
Recursion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
Shall we light the bonfires then?
Blow out a cigarette will be enough
Quote:
Nay, he is just a ungrateful manipulative swine...
why i guessed at once...
Old 2009-07-18, 18:17   Link #48
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
Gave it a rating of 9.
Spoiler for Horo's behavior:
Spoiler for what?:
Old 2009-07-18, 22:06   Link #49
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:

Its funny that they though of them as dogs or chickens and we still do today. People call women bitches, chicks etc.
Thats because Adam and Eve. Eve came from Adam's part of the body, but did not share his soul (as it was just an organ, rib if to be exact). This was long discussed though, but not on behalf of all women but more because of virgin Mary status - she was a soulless being - a woman - after all. Then they went it as an explanation of the miracle - just like she was pregnant as a virgin, they decided upon the heavily bless from abpve to give her a soul as well.

But again she was special while all other women were not and teaching them something as sacred as writting or reading was caunted to be blasphemy. It's like trying to teach a dog to read a bibble.

'Woman should not be writing/reading' - rule was lasting pretty long actually, even way after they decided that they do have souls after all.
Old 2009-07-18, 23:32   Link #50
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamtale View Post
With inquisitors as moderators
Off with your head...Cthulu demands it!!!
Old 2009-07-19, 00:47   Link #51
Darknemo2000

It should be noted that despite women were counted as lower beings, it still was ok to have sex with them.

Heck, even pope Alexander even had 9 concubines, one of whom were only 11 years old.

But at the same time officially thats why they were a sinful creatures too, since the lust that men felt for women was considered to be an sin coming from women rather than from men themselves.

So yeah, tough times for women, and even at the present of Horo and Lawrence women do not have it that much easier, even though they are at least counted as beings with souls.
Old 2009-07-19, 02:30   Link #52
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Overall a pretty good episode. Things were looking alright with Lawrence having a better idea where to look for Yoitsu. But when the lead just runs out of the building right after hearing a message you know trouble is coming. Oh well these things always happen to Lawrence so might as well get used to it .

But besides that do think Lawrence is setting himself up for trouble. Can understand he doesn't want to upset Horo by talking about the destruction of her hometown, but it's not something he can hide forever. Plus just hiding it when she can usually tell will only hurt their relationship.

Agree that the reading thing wasn't much of a surprise when the context was considered. These things do remind me how tough all those years must have been on Horo since interacting with the villagers was a tough thing.

Anyways did blog out by thoughts on the episode.
Old 2009-07-19, 03:57   Link #53
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Shall we light the bonfires then? Nay, he is just a ungrateful manipulative swine...
What's he done to be called that? For that matter, what's Lawrence done that Amati should be feeling grateful about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Overall a pretty good episode. Things were looking alright with Lawrence having a better idea where to look for Yoitsu. But when the lead just runs out of the building right after hearing a message you know trouble is coming. Oh well these things always happen to Lawrence so might as well get used to it .

But besides that do think Lawrence is setting himself up for trouble. Can understand he doesn't want to upset Horo by talking about the destruction of her hometown, but it's not something he can hide forever. Plus just hiding it when she can usually tell will only hurt their relationship.
It's been destroyed long ago. For all he knows, it's been destroyed and rebuilt thrice since Horo's departure. He wants to learn more before dropping the news.
Old 2009-07-19, 04:15   Link #54
Darknemo2000

Quote:
What's he done to be called that? For that matter, what's Lawrence done that Amati should be feeling grateful about?
Umm brought this beauty here? Without him Horo would not have been able to get out after all.
Old 2009-07-19, 17:11   Link #55
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

Quote:
you'l find out like..next ep, (or just read the novel lol.)

edit: ok deleted the whole thing, sorry. I guess the amount of spoil(huge/little) is all opinion though.

Last edited by SwiftStrike; 2009-07-19 at 19:04.
Old 2009-07-19, 17:16   Link #56
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Mind deleting your post SwiftStrike? That's a huge spoil, and it's not even in spoiler tags. I've been spoiled, though i'd like to save other people from it.
Old 2009-07-19, 17:33   Link #57
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I've read the novel. I disagree with that interpretation.
Old 2009-07-19, 17:36   Link #58
LKK

Guys, I'd like to remind everyone that spoilers are FORBIDDEN in these episode discussions even if they're under spoiler boxes. Please read this quote from the first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairin View Post
Welcome to the discussion thread for Spice and Wolf II, Episode 2.

Thread Guidelines
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
This no spoilers policy applies to every episode-specific thread. Please honor the policy, okay? Thanks.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-07-19, 18:41   Link #59
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

This episode lived up to expectations, Deanna was as interesting and mysterious as in the novel - which I hope they keep up. Guy was pretty cool as well.

The history story was great, it fit Horo to a T.
Old 2009-07-20, 01:29   Link #60
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
That's what it did to me too while reading, and I hope the anime will be able to live up to that.
You all are cruel! I haven't read it and you know what? Just even thinking about it drives me crazy and fills my thoughts with thousands of things and I find my mouth wanting to shout out a thousand of things. It needs to hurry and come, I can't take this anymore!
Closed Thread