Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-11-02, 23:30   Link #41
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Haruhi 2009 says hi.
Tell her that I said hello as well . Anyhow I remember all the Haruhi fans raving about Haruhi 2009 saying things like "it made understand how Nagato feels" or "it was meant to be boring". I suppose you weren't one of those fans , though I thought you were one of the fans that enjoyed Haruhi 2009 (then again can't say anything else after as I dropped the show right after Endless Eight ended quite ironically ).

Anyway yes that is one example but I think Durarara!! is bit different from lets say Geass R2 or Haruhi. Those shows had quite large expectation but I remember quite few were disappointed with those two. I think the reason was those were a sequel hence people had expectation of what they wanted to be and how they wanted to be like. Durarara!! is bit different as it is not a sequel, our expectation is base solely on the ability of Brains Base and the author of Baccano! that we have seen.
Old 2009-11-02, 23:32   Link #42
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
You see... this is where I disagree with you. An animation studio needs to do more than one great anime to be considered a great animation studio, imo.
They have but that's not the point here, we are comparing Durarara to Baccano because it's written and animated by the same people and the stories share a lot of similarities. This is a ground they are familiar with.

Quote:
No, quality is not completely subjective. There are some objective elements that you can judge an animation adaption by, as well as a narrative by.
A story being good or bad is just a matter of opinion, same with the music, pace and characters. This is why one person might think certain show is a masterpiece and another person might think it's crap.

Some technical aspects of animation might be objective, but I don't know too many people that count the number of frames of an anime.

Quote:
Honestly... it seems like every season you have folks here criticizing other folks for not being more pumped over the coming season, as if we as anime fans have some innate responsibility to be pumped over every anime season, no matter what.
I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just a little surprised that people aren't more excited about certain anime given the people involved in them.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 23:45   Link #43
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Tell her that I said hello as well . Anyhow I remember all the Haruhi fans raving about Haruhi 2009 saying things like "it made understand how Nagato feels" or "it was meant to be boring". I suppose you weren't one of those fans , though I thought you were one of the fans that enjoyed Haruhi 2009 (then again can't say anything else after as I dropped the show right after Endless Eight ended quite ironically ).
I rated it 7/10 in the end. It wasn't terrible, but it was nowhere near Haruhi 2006, imo.

Along with Code Geass R2's second half, it's made me more skeptical of the anime hype machine, and of the value of past performance (even between particular writer/animation studio teams) in general.

Honestly, if Vampire Bund didn't have that excellent piece of promotional artwork, I'd be a bit more skeptical of it as well.

Quote:

Anyway yes that is one example but I think Durarara!! is bit different from lets say Geass R2 or Haruhi. Those shows had quite large expectation but I remember quite few were disappointed with those two. I think the reason was those were a sequel hence people had expectation of what they wanted to be and how they wanted to be like. Durarara!! is bit different as it is not a sequel, our expectation is base solely on the ability of Brains Base and the author of Baccano! that we have seen.
Well, I see your point anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post

A story being good or bad is just a matter of opinion, same with the music, pace and characters.
I strongly disagree. There is a clear, objective distinction that can be made between good, consistent character development and uneven and inconsistent character development, for example.

The pacing of the Destruction of Planet Namek was bad, period. Even most hardcore DBZ fans that I've met will admit that.

With music... there's a reason why there's so many YouTube videos of "Watch me do Scene XYZ to unfitting music". Pretty much everybody has a good idea of what's fitting and unfitting music for certain scenes.

Quote:

Some technical aspects of animation might be objective, but I don't know too many people that count the number of frames of an anime.
You don't need to count the number of frames to tell good animation from bad animation. A certain degree of choppiness (or, conversely, fluidity) can come through visually.

Quote:
I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just a little surprised that people aren't more excited about certain anime given the people involved in them.
Blame Haruhi 2009 and Code Geass R2's second half. Seriously. People have recently been burned by overly high expectations based on past performances.
Old 2009-11-03, 00:01   Link #44
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
For one thing... I didn't like Umineko. I felt that the anime had significant failings. I dropped it after the first arc.

I've also heard from many fans of the source material that it wasn't adapted as well as it could have been.
I tend to think of Umineko's first arc as a warm up.

Quote:
Haruhi 2009 says hi.
Haruhi 2009 was not from a studio with only one hit under its belt. Plus, I tend to consider it screwed by executive meddling (AKA Kadokawa trolling the audience) more than anything else.

Quote:
Honestly... it seems like every season you have folks here criticizing other folks for not being more pumped over the coming season, as if we as anime fans have some innate responsibility to be pumped over every anime season, no matter what.

No, we don't.
I don't expect people to be pumped up, but when I read comments about how this season looks disappointing or that there's nothing interesting coming up, I just don't see it.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 00:01   Link #45
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
I strongly disagree. There is a clear, objective distinction that can be made between good, consistent character development and uneven and inconsistent character development, for example.

The pacing of the Destruction of Planet Namek was bad, period. Even most hardcore DBZ fans that I've met will admit that.

With music... there's a reason why there's so many YouTube videos of "Watch me do Scene XYZ to unfitting music". Pretty much everybody has a good idea of what's fitting and unfitting music for certain scenes.

You don't need to count the number of frames to tell good animation from bad animation. A certain degree of choppiness (or, conversely, fluidity) can make that clear to you.
Entertainment isn't an exact science, you might think that certain character development is good but if some one comes and says that it's bad, there's no way to prove they are factually wrong. Same with music and pacing.

You mention the Namek arc having bad pacing, that's definitely the opinion of most people but it isn't a fact. There is the possibility of someone liking it which means it isn't objective.

Even for animation it's the same, some people might like more fluidity while other might prefer to maintain the artwork more consistent by sacrificing some frames. Of course, animating in ones is better than in twos or threes.

Edit- This thread has gone completely off topic so I better stop here.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 01:45   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
You see... this is where I strongly disagree with you. An animation studio needs to do more than one great anime to be considered a great animation studio, imo.
One? Baccano, Kurenai, Natsume Yuujinchou, Kamichu... That's a pretty good list. Great is a big word, but I will say they have a terrific batting average in a relatively small number of at-bats.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 01:55   Link #47
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
Entertainment isn't an exact science, you might think that certain character development is good but if some one comes and says that it's bad, there's no way to prove they are factually wrong. Same with music and pacing.

You mention the Namek arc having bad pacing, that's definitely the opinion of most people but it isn't a fact. There is the possibility of someone liking it which means it isn't objective.

Even for animation it's the same, some people might like more fluidity while other might prefer to maintain the artwork more consistent by sacrificing some frames. Of course, animating in ones is better than in twos or threes.
We have a major philosophical difference of opinion.

You seem to believe that for something to be factual it needs to be universally agreed upon.

I do not believe that to be the case... many facts are not universally agreed upon (due to misinformation, or mistakes).

If a majority of people believe that character A was poorly developed, and if that majority can point to good clear reasons for their stand, then I'm prepared to consider it a fact that Character A was poorly developed.

Just like saying 2 + 2 = 5 is wrong, saying that uneven and very spotty character development is actually good is also wrong.

I'll leave it here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
One? Baccano, Kurenai, Natsume Yuujinchou, Kamichu... That's a pretty good list. Great is a big word, but I will say they have a terrific batting average in a relatively small number of at-bats.
Dude... you're missing the context of my debate with Revenger. Revenger was arguing that Baccano alone would be enough for hopeful expectations. I disagreed with that.

Edit - This is my last post on these topics on this thread.
Old 2009-11-03, 01:59   Link #48
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Nodame Cantabile Final
So-Ra-No-Wo-To
Cat Shit One

Seriously, why isn't Cat Shit One on that list? It's already been given an automatic spot at the start of 2010 in the local anime club in my area.
Old 2009-11-03, 02:20   Link #49
klare

will try:
- Dance in the Vampire Bund
- Qwaser of Stigmata
- Sora no woto (look like K-ON chars)

i believe more titles will be announced, as usual 1 or 2 may be a surprise hit
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 09:29   Link #50
gaguri

Without any research on my part and judging purely based on pictures and infos presented in that preview chart,

- Duradura!! should be interesting, as it comes from our favourite Brains Base. I already like the character designs.

- If that Vampire anime by Shaft is by Shinbo, then I'm interested.

- That Kanagatari looks visually unique, hopefully it looks just as intriguing when animated?
Old 2009-11-03, 09:57   Link #51
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Dance In Vampire Bund : Vampires coupled with really interesting setting / story .

Durarara : Baccano Baccano Baccaano Baccano need I say more

Katanagatari : Art style is quite unique so I will give this a try .

Qwaser of Stigmata : Interesting concept ... though skeptical about breast milk thing ... weird
Old 2009-11-03, 15:05   Link #52
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Haruhi 2009 says hi.
Yes listing Haruhi 2009 is a brilliant example because obviously these series are going to ignore the source material and rerun the same episode 8 times in a row, obviously!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 15:47   Link #53
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Having big expectations for an anime based purely on one previous significant success strikes me as, well, a bit presumptuous, and precisely the sort of heavily hyped approach to modern day anime that I think sometimes causes fans to go too easy on series and/or overhype them. If Haruhi 2009 has taught us anything...
I think that's only really bad for screwing with other people's expectations on a group level by generating hype into something they may not enjoy as opposed to the individual level which warrants people to go as easier or hard on or set their expectations as high or low for any given anime. Personally I can't count the number of times that has happened to me in the past based off of a recommendation that I was sure to enjoy something only to find that it was all hype and little consideration of other factors. You've just gotta have a thick skin and know how to sniff out pure hype.

Hmmmmm..... Haruhi 2009 has taught me that a show can have a lot of arguments for or against it, but not necessarily based off of anything tangible or objective. Oh that and it's really easy to flip flop opinion to opposite extremes.

Anyway I think it's fine to have expectations based off of a studios past work within reason, which basically means saying, "I might like this" or "I don't think this will be good", when going into it but also not being totally prejudiced towards it at the same time. In other words the presumption of a masterpiece or failure and everything inbetween should remain just that as opposed to a goal and always be subject to revision based on the actual experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestial Dream
This is what I might call an example of false hype or information and where it's again up to the individual to remain skeptical because Haruhi is a fanbase that I think it's hard to deny has quite a few extreme diehards who will come up with any reason to defend it as a pure faultless masterpiece. Those two quotations should be treated as subjective ideas (I'd even go so far as to call them excuses as they are literally based on nothing that can be found in the shows actual framework, but merely ideas that were conjured up to defend it) and not taken as any actual given goals that the Endless Eight arc might have had in mind.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-11-03 at 16:03.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 01:52   Link #54
animeboy12

bah don't worry too much about it Revenger1589, at the very least put my in that small list of people who are optimistic about this season, heck I'm usually optimistic about every season to the point where I envy the people that can look at every new season of anime with cynicism because that would imply that they actually have the time to watch most of this stuff. I, on the other the hand, am happy if I can at the most 4 series

and my 4 are

Durarara- I really don't see why I need any other reason to justify my hopes for an anime series that's come from the studio that did Baccano and Kunrei

Dance In Vampire Bund - I'll come out straight, I HATE shaft style, but this one catches my interest, I've heard it's a little bit more serious than what Shaft usually so hopefully they'll tone down they crap on the scene

Katanagatari- Interesting art style and the animation looks great as well

Seikon no Qwaser- I pretty much don't have a choice whether are not I'll watch this series, two of my favorite character designers are on the team so it's must watch for me. Quick warning-If you have an aversion to breasts, breasts milk, over the top violence and fanservice STAY AWAY, and that includes the "as long as it's not too much" crowd too (because it is).

Anyway other than that I will check out
So-Ra-No-Wo-To
ladies vs butler
chu-bra
Ōkami Kakushi

either way this new season looks pretty good to me

Last edited by animeboy12; 2009-11-04 at 04:11.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 02:16   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Surprised not to see much love for Baka-Test. To me it looks hilarious, and I love the art style and character design.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 02:30   Link #56
gonzo562

nothing really stands out except for nodame

the winter season not looking good but i hope a couple of series surprise me and turn out to be good
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 02:41   Link #57
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Seriously, why isn't Cat Shit One on that list? It's already been given an automatic spot at the start of 2010 in the local anime club in my area.
Saw the trailer for it. Looks awesome! Also don't know why it's not on the list. Immediately on my plan to watch list.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4QBZfjtqs

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2009-11-04 at 03:08.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 02:45   Link #58
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Surprised not to see much love for Baka-Test. To me it looks hilarious, and I love the art style and character design.
The combination of Zero no Tsukaima vibes and production by Silver Link turned me off. I actually really liked Tayutama, but I definitely got the impression it could have been adapted a lot better.

But then I looked up the series and found out Shin Oonuma is directing, and I'm kind of curious as to whether he can work the magic he pulled in EF on a series in a totally different genre. So I'm going to call wildcard.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 03:01   Link #59
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Everything looks disappointing except:

Dance in the Vampire Bund, Katanagatari and Omamori Himari. These three I will definitely watch as I'v been anticipating the first and last one since forever.
Old 2009-11-04, 04:23   Link #60
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
The irc channel I frequently visit is all over Bakatest Its one of the most promising shows on the list for me.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote