AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-25, 01:52   Link #1
shylune

Haven't watched much, liked ghost in the shell and macross: suggestions?

So I only got into anime recently (mostly because I never had friends who liked it so I had to do all the work myself XD). Of the few I've seen so far, I liked Ghost In the Shell (really thought provoking; almost felt like reading a novel), and the first two macross movies. I know these are kind of old--are there some new ones in that vein? Futurey, but very clean, maybe some nice relationshipy stuff but that shouldn't be the main focus...not too violent (GITS was definitely pushing it), Akira freaked me out a bit not gonna lie, maybe when I get more into it...

Any suggestions?
Old 2011-10-25, 02:08   Link #2
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Here's a couple suggestions based on your love for Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (one of the best anime ever ) and Macross:

Kurau Phantom Memory. It is the year 2100, and on the colonized Moon, a project is under way to explore new aspects of energy. Amami Kurau is the daughter of the chief scientist on the project, and on her 12th birthday, she accompanies her father to the lab to observe the experiments. Then something goes awry, and Kurau is struck by twin bolts of light. In the aftermath, her father is dismayed to find that his daughter is no longer his daughter. Rather, her body is now home to two energy entities with fantastic powers.

It's a futuristic, slightly cyberpunk show without being testosterone filled (if anything, there's more estrogen than testosterone here, which is fairly uncommon for this genre).

Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime & Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa. These are the latest Macross movies, and the superior version in my eyes of the Frontier tale (not that the TV series isn't good also). I didn't think Macross would ever get better than Do you Remember Love, but damn me if these two Frontier movies didn't give it a run for its money. In fact, I'm going to have to say they're the best Macross movies. Period.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-25, 03:23   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Creb's recommendations are good, although I have mixed feelings for Kurau.

Also. if you like GITS, you may want to check out Appleseed. There are two Appleseed movies and then a TV series that's still airing now. Oh yeah, both GITS & Appleseed is from the same author/mangaka, Masamune Shirou.

PS: Don't forget to watch the other Macross series like Macros II, Macross Plus, Macross Zero, etc
Old 2011-10-25, 08:53   Link #4
kitten320

I never watched those so it would really help if you could name at least several genres of stuff you like. Something like action or comedy and etc.
Old 2011-10-25, 09:08   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

@kitten

From her post, I think he/she wanted futuristic anime but not apocalyptic, some action but not too brutal or bloody, also with a good plot (thought provoking), a little romance but not focusing on it, just like earlier Macross.

In short, some futuristic anime with good story and action ^_^.

@shylune
You probably want to start watching Gundam 00 and then Gundam AGE (still airing) too.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-10-25 at 09:20.
Old 2011-10-25, 09:27   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars is a good clean Sci-Fi show, with just a bit of subtle romance. I think you'd like it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood would be another good show to check out.

If you'd like to try something different, I'd like to suggest Cross Game.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-10-25, 22:10   Link #7
Undertaker

Just Macross Along could keep you occupied for a while:

Other than mentioned Macros II, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero mentioned by Obelisk, there are also Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.

Code Geass also would seem to be in you alley as well along some Gundam series.
Old 2011-11-03, 03:16   Link #8
shylune

wow, sorry it took so long to respond. i will give these a look, thank you all!!
Old 2011-11-03, 03:22   Link #9
Croix

Here are a few more list that are similar to Macross and Ghost in the shell.

-Heroic Age
-Halock Saga
-Galaxy Express 999 (movie)

If you take any interests in those, I can recommend more similar.
Closed Thread