AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-12, 03:03   Link #21
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Makes one wonder what they can do with this story after almost 40 years. A TV movie/pilot + how many episodes? 13? 26? The original was a 26 episode season telling the tale of one year in space to save Earth. Though I seem to recall that it was suppose to be longer (39 episodes) and thus a few plot lines got cut (Captain Harlock being one of those plot lines) and pretty much the entire return trip being one episode only. The core stories will remain...it is the other plots that they could tweak as needed. The single episode plots that were either to build characters personalities, or fill time between major events.

There is also the hope they would redo the second and third seasons eventually. The two Dark Nebula Empire based movies don't actually need a revamp, but I suppose they could make a season out of them if they wanted. The second season just because I'd really like to see the fuctional EDF with Battleship Andromeda in action using modern art and animation. The third season because it really, really needs to be reworked. It was suppose to be twice the length (52 episode season) and got cut down during production (to 25 episodes), so the ending is really rushed and haphazard. The start looked good and the middle is excellent...the ending (plot wise) looks really rushed and weird. Also I really wanted to see the plot with the Space Battleship Arizona that we only got to see the ending of (we and the launching of). The ship design looked good, like it was suppose to be a hero ship of sorts (like Andromeda), but it got cut due to ratings. The last 1980s film, Final Yamato, does not actually need a remake, as it still holds up.

Also voices. A lot has changed in those almost 40 years. Some people are quite dead. However there is one voice that should remain as an anchor....Desler's voice (Masatō Ibu), who is only in his 60s, his role in Yamato being pretty much his first TV voice acting roll. A roll he's done many times, even in the 2010 live action film.

One other thing to wonder about...will it be imported and dubbed into English at some point? I can't say if that would be good or bad...but several of the old Star Blazers actors are still around.
Old 2011-11-12, 04:07   Link #22
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm certainly hyped after seeing that trailer. Plus, it's nice to say that i have faith in the staff that duckroll posted.

So the movie will be the first two episodes? That's pretty interesting. I'm guessing in that regards, that we'll be getting the TV series after that. Could be quite a wait if the film is out in April. Hoping it'll still be sometime in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Hmm... may be a chance for me to finally update my avatar. ^^;

Heh.
That should never happen.
Old 2011-11-12, 05:40   Link #23
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in Xebec and AIC. Lol. Well, hearing that the "movie" is the first two episodes of the TV series makes me feel better. At least that explains to questionable production values.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 12:58   Link #24
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if there would be a better choice for such things (art and animation wise). What little we saw did look like the art and animation used in the 2009 Yamato movie.
Old 2011-11-13, 22:48   Link #25
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It was pointed out to me that the release date for this project is April 7, 2012. The 67th anniversery of the sinking of the battleship Yamato (which sank on April 7, 1945).
Old 2011-11-13, 23:09   Link #26
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Makes one wonder what they can do with this story after almost 40 years. A TV movie/pilot + how many episodes? 13? 26? The original was a 26 episode season telling the tale of one year in space to save Earth. Though I seem to recall that it was suppose to be longer (39 episodes) and thus a few plot lines got cut (Captain Harlock being one of those plot lines) and pretty much the entire return trip being one episode only. The core stories will remain...it is the other plots that they could tweak as needed. The single episode plots that were either to build characters personalities, or fill time between major events.

<snipped for length>

Also voices. A lot has changed in those almost 40 years. Some people are quite dead. However there is one voice that should remain as an anchor....Desler's voice (Masatō Ibu), who is only in his 60s, his role in Yamato being pretty much his first TV voice acting roll. A roll he's done many times, even in the 2010 live action film.

One other thing to wonder about...will it be imported and dubbed into English at some point? I can't say if that would be good or bad...but several of the old Star Blazers actors are still around.
It would certainly be interesting if they do manage to have Captain Harlock in this version of Yamato. When I bought the season one box to Star Blazers, the booklet that came with it talks about plot points that could have been. And of course Captain Avatar(I forget what the Japanese version of him was called) and Captain Harlock together would be an epic duo.

It would be interesting to a faithful version of Yamato in English. It would be more interesting if they did keep the name Susumu Kodai instead of "Derek Wildstar" for instance and the new version did things differently than the original. Especially if this reboot manages to get Harlock in there.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 23:13   Link #27
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Unless they have Matsumoto onboard, I doubt Harlock will make an appearance. But you never know for sure.
Old 2011-11-16, 01:07   Link #28
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if they will characterize anything differently now. It has been nearly 40 years since this plot was written. Some things have changed. Though I imagine the Gamilons as a mix between the United States and Imperial Germany (one Reich or another) will probably remain. At least the Gamilons had a reason to attack Earth. Most other parties didn't outside of conquest or revenge. For Gamilon it was survival. Survival taken to an extreme when the Humans didn't just role over and surrender. Defying the Gamilons made it worse, leading to the planet bombing. Yamato herself was the final straw that drove them mad. The single defiant ship that would not die under the entire strength of the Empire.

It is fortunate I suppose that they might someday provide Desler's redemption arc. Cause of all the villians in Yamato, Desler is the one people remember most...and the only survivor of Yamato's enemies. The only one remembered as much as Desler is Zordar...who was the over the top villian by the end. They soemtimes combine the two in parody since Desler is more well known, yet the Comet Empire arc was very popular (on par or even better received than Star Wars at the time in Japan).
Old 2011-11-16, 02:32   Link #29
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The staff assigned to this version look fairly competent. I just hope they don't adhere TOO much to modern character styles. Okita, Kodai and Yuki Mori were very epic characters.

I'd like to think this modern version can work. Although I've been disappointed by Gegege No Kitaro, Cyborg 009 and Dororon Enma-kun remakes in recent times. Messing up Yamato would be criminal.

They'd better keep the original OP theme or slightly alter it at the max. That theme is integral to the whole Yamato experience.
Old 2011-11-16, 03:28   Link #30
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well so far, each Yamato film and project of the last few years has use the original OP. The 2009 movie's change was that is was sung by the ALFEE. The 2010 change was mostly orchestration, and the theme was never sung, just played. I liked the 2009 movie more than the live action 2010 movie, but the 2010 movie had better music (aside from the Steve Taylor ED which I usually ignore). I believe the some of the people in charge of the music died during production of the 2009 movie as the music stops fitting the scenes after about the halfway point. I think I even found the exact version of the last major scene's music froman orchestra preformance in the late 1990s, just slipped in near the end. The music fit the scene though. There were scenes using old classical music that fit half a scene, but then the scene changed tone...and the music did not. It didn't even keep up during the later battles which would normally have theme music playing as some point if Yamato was about to pull something off.

The 2010 film managed to throw in the proper themes at the proper times. When Yamato pulls something off, it has the right music behind it. When the scene changes mood the music changes moods to fit.

So if they don't have people die on them I image they can pull of the right music at the right time.
Old 2011-11-16, 03:52   Link #31
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Going to be intrigued as to what the character designs will look like now since I doubt Matsumoto's will be re-used.
Old 2011-11-16, 04:23   Link #32
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I imagine they will be styled more like the 2009 movie. The character art was similar to the short lived Yamato 2520 series, but more advanced. What little the preview showed reminded me of that. I wonder about some other detail things that were very Matsumoto. The uniforms for one. The trend for round cog like dials is another. The whole ship actually, but that's one thing they know they can't change. The doctor and his cat, but they will likely stay.

From what I recall in the 2009 film, they still had some people with the old arrow uniforms (basically just a few of the Black Tiger squadron members and Captain Kodai) and the females had a white version of Yuki's yellow uniform still. The controls were all different (more modern) and the cat, doctor, and Analyser (IQ9) were still present (they are about the only ones to still have a Matsumoto design in the film outside the Final Yamato flashback). So if the want to make it so the new series could be linked to the 2009 movie, they would keep what they need to and ditch the rest.

The preview we see Kodai in a space suit. Shima in some sort of uniform. Yuki's head shot. The Captain (the only one voiced). Sasha's body (behind the red capsule), the much more detailed Cosmo Zero (possibly over Mars, though it could easily be Earth), The higher detail pre-Yamato Earth Fleet and the three kinds of Gamilon light warship...and of course Yamato herself.
Old 2011-12-13, 02:42   Link #33
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

NEW trailer looking awesome...life long Yamato fan here...FO LIFE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihXcQmrQQ-s
Old 2011-12-17, 22:34   Link #34
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looks like they have updated their website: They have a counter by days (presently there are only 112 days left)

http://yamato2199.net/index.html

They has some news that I don't know what it says.

They also have added a gallery that has a new ship for the old UN space fleet at Pluto. This gives them three types of ships now (the old "flagship", the torpedo destroyers, and the new ship) Might be a new laser ship or maybe it was the flagship (of an Admiral rather our beloved Captain his ship, which you can see in the background)
http://yamato2199.net/gallery/index.html

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-12-17 at 23:36.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 14:50   Link #35
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The official website has updated with some character models for the main cast as well as voice actors listed:
http://yamato2199.net/character.html

The uniforms seem like a mix of older series style and the newer live action movie...with slightly more traditional naval uniform lines rather than the race car driver lines of that film. They also seem to be actual rank shoulder bars. Also a unit patch

Yuki's uniform seems slightly more fanservice-y than the original, but only because of the extra detail lines added to it. Otherwise it is the same form fitting yellow unifom with black stripes. Just with the added patch and shoulder bars. (Her's is the only one to have her name over the unit patch as "Y. Mori", but that is only seen in one frame, so it is possible the other have it as well.)

The Captain's uniform is almost the same as always, save for some redesign of the anchor insignia and the addition of what looks like a unit patch on the upper arm. He also looks kind of old for 57 with the white hair and beard.

EDIT-

http://yamato2199.net/mecha/index.html

Mechanical updated as well. Showing off Yamato herself, the Cosmo Zero, Cosmo Tiger, one of the auxileries, amd the older recon fighter with skids for landing on Mars.

Yamato is Yamato, the differences are minor and in details only.

The Cosmo Zero (Type 52) looks basically the same as it did the last time we saw it in Final Yamato. Her makings and paint have been detailed out a bit.

The Cosmo (Black) Tiger has the same shape as before, but has been updated a lot. She's got shealth (F-22) like engine outlets (two indead of waht looked like a single ramjet exhaust in 1974). This is the fighter they only used in the first series and was replaced for all the othe productions by the Cosmo Tiger II. It is also different than the ones from th Live Action movie. A note that they also changed the paint job. It is no longer sporting the traditional black and yellow paint but more closely matches the later Cosmo Tiger II's greys.

The Auxilery looks like a new craft. Actually it looks like they mixed and matched some of the wide selection of craft Yamato carried and made something to fit all their roles instead of having six different craft...most that they used only once or twice. It looks more like the Medical shuttle.

The recon fighter (some called the Cosmo Falcon) looked about the same at it did in the first episode...skids included. It is just more detailed.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-01-30 at 07:10. Reason: Mechanics update.
Old 2012-02-13, 03:01   Link #36
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Character update: http://yamato2199.net/character.html

Looks like there are adding five other people to the main cast list...including four more women (pretty ones too). Yuki will not be the only one anymore.

It is unfortunate that I can't read this all that well, so I don't know who they people are...not who voices them (though that I could figure out given a lot of time).

The nurse has fetish fuel written all over her. Very high Thigh high boots....clumbsy...mini-skirt as oppose to all the other women's skin tight suits. Probably a host of other things as well.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-13 at 03:39.
Old 2012-02-13, 14:04   Link #37
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The character updates were also posted on ANN:

Rie Tanaka, Aya Hisakawa, Shigeru Chiba Join Yamato 2199 Crew

And a manga adaptation is in the works:

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Gets Manga in Newtype Ace
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 14:40   Link #38
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So basically the old man with a bottle is Doctor McCoy, the middle aged guy in the jumpsuit is Worf, the one with the blue suit and glasses is Mr. Spock, the girl in the orange suit is ????, the girl in the pink suit is Kes and the really young looking girl in the orange suit is.....what...Barclary?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 14:43   Link #39
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, now Ensign Akira Yamamoto has my interest...voice interest (mmmmm Rie Tanaka). I was going to write her off at first as the "cool girl type" and focus instead on Lieutenant Kaoru Niimi...because glasses and short hair. I still might seeing who she's voiced by.
(Arcadia City? On Mars? Still makes me wonder if they are going to try to pull off that old Harlock storyline they wanted to do in the original run but couldn't due to budget and episode number cuts.)
I wonder why they would need a purser though. Maybe because they are carrying unlicensed deck crew under their added Boatswain.

Shigeru Chiba is sort of a returnee, he did have a few minor roles in the later two season of Space Battleship Yamato some 30 years ago.

I am still hoping for Masatô Ibu to come back as Dessler.

Having Rina Satou as the nurse seems interesting.

And Aya Hisakawa had an intelligent blue haired character again.

I'm still wondering about Ono Daisuke as Kodai. I'm trying to picture that without him going fabulous...or with extra ham.
Old 2012-02-13, 14:46   Link #40
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well, now Ensign Akira Yamamoto has my interest...voice interest (mmmmm Rie Tanaka). I was going to write her off at first as the "cool girl type" and focus instead on Lieutenant Kaoru Niimi...because glasses and short hair. I sill might seeing who she's voiced by.
(Arcadia City? On Mars? Still makes me wonder if they are going to try to pull off that old Harlock storyline they wanted to do in the original run but couldn't due to budget and episode number cuts.)
I wonder why they would need a purser though. Maybe because they are carrying unlicensed deck crew under their added Boatswain.

Shigeru Chiba is sort of a returnee, he did have a few minor roles in the later two season of Space Battleship Yamato some 30 years ago.

I am still hoping for Masatô Ibu to come back as Dessler.

Having Rina Satou as the nurse seems interesting.

And Aya Hisakawa had an intelligent blue haired character again.
My hope would be that given the pedigree of Yamato that it isn't going to be quite as easy to pigeonhole these characters into archetypes, fetishes and Star Trek comparisons like we just tried to do once the show has been on the air for a couple months.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato