AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-02, 21:00   Link #241
scr
my sides are in orbit

Hm, now that that Naoto Naoi guy(?) is loose without anyone to stop him, the afterlife is going to be one hell of a war-torn place. Neither SSS nor Naoi will stop before the other is dead. Since they are already dead, the best bet will be putting them in an And I Must Scream situation, i.e. trapping them inside miles upon miles of concrete. And even then, it's not a permanent solution.

If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
Old 2010-05-02, 21:37   Link #242
OkamiNoKaze

This was pretty good episode, while I did laugh while they were playing their pranks on Kanade, it made me a bit sad for her also. Not to spark of the comparison thing again, but even had to laugh about the invading alien thing. glasses guy, (sorry blanking on his name) was quite buff, then again that seems to be the way with Key shows, I've noticed. This week's song by Girls Dead Monster was great, Yui did a good job singing. The change in the ending image was hilarious again. I hope the opening and endings keep reflecting the things that keep happening in the episodes.
Old 2010-05-02, 21:38   Link #243
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
They did. Yurippe simply forgot. She saids it during the anime.
Which is pretty amazing in of itself. I can understand using Tenshi as a mocking sort of name for her but to actually forget your enemy's name is pretty bad. Heck she could just have it written down somewhere. Either that or she's lying which is bad in a different sort of way.
Old 2010-05-02, 21:46   Link #244
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yep, according to Myanimelist, she seems to be primarily a H-anime VA. Not that I care...
Primarily a H-game VA. Most of H-anime comes from adaptations from H-games anyways. And Kazane has racked up a total of over 300 eroge roles, that's got to count for something for fame and yes, Kazane's screams are very good.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-05-02, 21:57   Link #245
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Primarily a H-game VA. Most of H-anime comes from adaptations from H-games anyways. And Kazane has racked up a total of over 300 eroge roles, that's got to count for something for fame and yes, Kazane's screams are very good.
and She is cute too.
Old 2010-05-02, 22:06   Link #246
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Great, great, great episode. I laughed so hard. Is this supposed to be a comedy or a drama? Hilarious, simply hilarious.

Good revelation with Tenshi, rather Tachibana. I think she is doing the same thing our heroes are - trying not to disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxel View Post
LOL i love how in the second half its all like
TACHIBANA SAN I WANT TO GO OUT WITH YOU!

hinata is sent flying
i was on the floor crying lol
10 : 10 epic episode!

I had to pause it at that point. It was so funny.
Old 2010-05-02, 23:42   Link #247
mpt37

Has it been mentioned why Tenshi ignores the SSS unless they are going through with one of their operations? It drove me crazy this episode that Tenshi was face to face with Otonashi yet she acts she's never seen him before even though she's killed him once!
Old 2010-05-03, 00:33   Link #248
aixaum

Is the part where Yui sings, sung by Yui's seiyuu?
Old 2010-05-03, 00:41   Link #249
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Just read it and further proves Yurippe is an idiot. She automatically assumes that God exists because this is the afterlife without any such evidence. She then assumes that Tenshi is the closest to God even though missing the point that the Teachers are the ones who give out roll call and have to deal with attendance thus they must have some good idea about what's going on unless they're NPCs but the show seems to contradict that.

The questioning is idiotic because he asks the obvious questions of "Does God exist" instead of say where they are or how is this possible. Hell they still need sleep, are hungry, and feel pain which suggests not a normal afterlife. After the initial questioning is over, he doesn't go back and try again or ask any different questions to different people instead he just moves on.

The prequel also further emphasizes how ridiculous this setting is. Why would you go to school at all after you're dead? I've seen no restrictions that would force a person to continually go to school especially if you're planning on rebelling.
Why not? And, have you suddenly become an expert on the fictional world of the dead? Please do tell what this "normal afterlife" looks like.

The teachers are NPCs, there are no contradictions here. Point them out and I will straighten them out for you. And, I guess you stopped reading at chapter 1? Continue. There are 7 chapters total, out of the 4 that are currently translated.
Spoiler for prequel novel:

Evidence? Let's try covering this from a theist's point of view:
  • believes in God/gods/deities.
  • some groups believe in reincarnation.
  • some groups believe in an afterlife of salvation or damnation.
  • some believe in a combination of the above.
conclusion: most likely, since I died, and I am still myself, I am in the afterlife, or in heaven/hell. This is definitely God's doing, so I would like to at least see him and complain about his unfairness before going to hell or reincarnating. Similarly, if this was heaven, I would like to talk to God and ask him many many things. Now, if this is hell...
How would atheists react? No idea. If you don't believe in the afterlife, then get thrown into an afterlife-like situation after directly experiencing your own death, how would you explain this situation [pseudo]scientifically? A few examples:
  • I didn't really die, and am in a coma experiencing a dream.
  • I am experiencing a prolonged "life flashes before my eyes" vision.
  • My neurons are misfiring, my sense of time has slowed down to almost a halt, and am now experiencing a dreamlike sequence that will last for an eternity.

Remember, there is no guarantee that the NPCs will tell you that this is the afterlife or whatnot. Most likely, they won't have any idea of what you are talking about, and will shrug it off and run one of their random idle sequences. Remember, they act as if you were always there even if you'd only just materialized out of thin air five minutes ago. They are probably hardwired to preserve the peaceful school atmosphere, and that includes the teachers too.
Old 2010-05-03, 00:53   Link #250
KanadeYuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
Has it been mentioned why Tenshi ignores the SSS unless they are going through with one of their operations? It drove me crazy this episode that Tenshi was face to face with Otonashi yet she acts she's never seen him before even though she's killed him once!
On the other hand, he asked her to prove he can't die. Yuri said that on ep 1.
Old 2010-05-03, 00:59   Link #251
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Remember, there is no guarantee that the NPCs will tell you that this is the afterlife or whatnot. Most likely, they won't have any idea of what you are talking about, and will shrug it off and run one of their random idle sequences. Remember, they act as if you were always there even if you'd only just materialized out of thin air five minutes ago. They are probably hardwired to preserve the peaceful school atmosphere, and that includes the teachers too.
Since you mentioned, i think everyone can guess the NPC will just tell them that what they are saying is nonsense, and would simply ignore it (like that event in chapter 2 novel).

Kanade is the only weak link that they can exploit on to gain information really. She is different from the NPCs because she is either Angel or human
Old 2010-05-03, 00:59   Link #252
KanadeYuri

Ad another thing I've noticed... Where is the real principal? They're living in his room and he never shows up... Maybe he's god and he chooses who will stay more?
Old 2010-05-03, 01:00   Link #253
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanadeYuri View Post
Ad another thing I've noticed... Where is the real principal? They're living in his room and he never shows up... Maybe he's god and he chooses who will stay more?
I'm not sure where is the principal, but he is not God with a confirmation (can't say more than that, but you can easily find out by chapter 2 of novel )
Actually the anime presented it pretty well as well. Yuri haven't met God and have met the principal (at least when she take over the room). She have to realise something special about him since she's quite sharp at those stuffs

I like your name btw...
Old 2010-05-03, 01:18   Link #254
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Then it's pointless. Anyone could have done anything but we as the audience don't know. Establishing communications would be a priority for anyone like seeing if the internet exists or if the telephone lines work. We, and from what we know the characters as well, have no clue about how this world is set up or even basic limitations. We have seen very little of the outside world other than the school and it's amazing that nobody has checked up on this.
Simple psychology. Nobody does it, so apparently there's nothing beyond the school. Such thoughts are easy when you're in a new place, unless you isolate yourself. You trust the group around you.

You can argue it's stupid, but that would be saying that we are stupid as well. Most of us believed Kanade really was an angel because Yuri said so. Why? Because she was the one who seemed like she knew what was going on in this new world. Our confusion lead us to believing the first source of information that started making sense of things. If we, as outside observers, can get confused about things like this, imagine how confused the people who are actually experiencing this are. They don't have the additional internal monologues and points of view to help make sense of this world.

Quote:
Which is pretty amazing in of itself. I can understand using Tenshi as a mocking sort of name for her but to actually forget your enemy's name is pretty bad. Heck she could just have it written down somewhere. Either that or she's lying which is bad in a different sort of way.
A huge red 'plotpoint' arrow if I ever saw one.

Last edited by Keroko; 2010-05-03 at 02:38.
Old 2010-05-03, 01:29   Link #255
KanadeYuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I'm not sure where is the principal, but he is not God with a confirmation (can't say more than that, but you can easily find out by chapter 2 of novel )
Actually the anime presented it pretty well as well. Yuri haven't met God and have met the principal (at least when she take over the room). She have to realise something special about him since she's quite sharp at those stuffs

I like your name btw...
thanks

and I guess I should read the noval XD
Old 2010-05-03, 02:34   Link #256
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
We all believed Kanade really was an angel because Yuri said so. Why? Because she was the one who seemed like she knew what was going on in this new world.
I wouldn't say we "all" believed that just because Yuri said so. I personally questioned Yuri's credibility ever since episode 1, given the apparent holes in her information and that everything she work of was little besides a self-serving assumption. I never got the impression she knew what was going on, merely that she was assuming she does. And while it isn't too hard to see why she came to the conclusions she did, especially given her preemptive desire to throw a monkey wrench in the god's works, she has still been acting rashly, processing whatever information she had in a way that fit her motives. That is what i personally got from Yuri ever since the series started, and said opinion hasn't really changed during the course of the show, the opposite, if anything.
Old 2010-05-03, 02:38   Link #257
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Granted, rephrasing it to 'most of us' then. That does not, however, change the point of my post: If the majority of us can be mistaken despite having more information then the characters, how can we expect the characters themselves not to be mistaken?
Old 2010-05-03, 02:53   Link #258
therationalpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I personally questioned Yuri's credibility ever since episode 1, given the apparent holes in her information and that everything she work of was little besides a self-serving assumption.
I wonder if it's herself that she's serving. I think Yuri takes her responsibility as a leader very seriously, and is trying to show herself as in control for the SSS. You could see it when Kanade was getting the Mapo Tofu ticket, Yuri was conflicted on starting the fans, but chose to do it to keep the air of order about her.
Old 2010-05-03, 03:09   Link #259
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Why not? And, have you suddenly become an expert on the fictional world of the dead? Please do tell what this "normal afterlife" looks like.

The teachers are NPCs, there are no contradictions here. Point them out and I will straighten them out for you. And, I guess you stopped reading at chapter 1? Continue. There are 7 chapters total, out of the 4 that are currently translated.
Spoiler for prequel novel:

Evidence? Let's try covering this from a theist's point of view:
  • believes in God/gods/deities.
  • some groups believe in reincarnation.
  • some groups believe in an afterlife of salvation or damnation.
  • some believe in a combination of the above.
conclusion: most likely, since I died, and I am still myself, I am in the afterlife, or in heaven/hell. This is definitely God's doing, so I would like to at least see him and complain about his unfairness before going to hell or reincarnating. Similarly, if this was heaven, I would like to talk to God and ask him many many things. Now, if this is hell...
How would atheists react? No idea. If you don't believe in the afterlife, then get thrown into an afterlife-like situation after directly experiencing your own death, how would you explain this situation [pseudo]scientifically? A few examples:
  • I didn't really die, and am in a coma experiencing a dream.
  • I am experiencing a prolonged "life flashes before my eyes" vision.
  • My neurons are misfiring, my sense of time has slowed down to almost a halt, and am now experiencing a dreamlike sequence that will last for an eternity.

Nothing I saw in the four chapters have changed my initial opinion that Yurippe is an idiot. In fact her behavior is somewhat childish in that she wants to throw a monkey wrench into a system she doesn't understand. Yurippe is assuming that Tenshi is an angel based on supernatural powers in a supernatural place. We know that this afterlife is somewhat abnormal as they are using Christian mythology and in the afterlife there should be no pain(Christian basis).

Yes chances are God or some superhuman being is doing it but she's assuming that Tenshi has a direct relation or even association with God when Tenshi has not proven any sort of relation and seems surprised even by the allegations. Yurippe was just looking for some enemy to fight and found the perfect person in Tenshi.

Also atleast in the first four chapters, we haven't seen any evidence that the teachers are NPCs. In fact based on one of the rules you stated earlier(that the NPCs can't enter the principals office) it would seem the teachers are something different as they rush in after the incident with the gun.

@Keroko
Actually we were given a huge red herring in the OP when it shows her with wings. Also the characters interact with her on a semi daily basis so they would be more familiar with her behavior than we would. How many angels need food or sleep?
Old 2010-05-03, 03:21   Link #260
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
I wonder if it's herself that she's serving. I think Yuri takes her responsibility as a leader very seriously, and is trying to show herself as in control for the SSS. You could see it when Kanade was getting the Mapo Tofu ticket, Yuri was conflicted on starting the fans, but chose to do it to keep the air of order about her.
What i meant by self-serving is that the way she interpreted everything was done in a manner to provide her with an environment she could antagonize, because that is what she ultimately wanted to do - lash out at something for the pain she believes she unjustifiably suffered. As such she has labeled this "world" as her enemy, the people there who don't agree with her position got the derogatory term NPC (They might, or they might not be - for all we know they, at least partially, might be normal people who decided to go with the flow instead of against it, and thus got labeled as non-essential by Yuri ... another assumption on her part, which haven't really proven themselves to be very accurate), and what she perceived as the highest local authority got labeled as her no1 enemy. All of this combined, true or not, gave her the one thing she wanted - something to lash out at.

Her leadership abilities aren't in question really, they must be rather decent to be able to run this bunch for as long as she had (though to be fair, from the looks of it, Tenshi never really challenged them either with her passive reactions towards the SSS activities), and one must not forget that she is the one who established SSS in the first place - that is, she rallied people to fight for her cause. Her authority over SSS has never been in question really, the opposite if anything - the members are glad to have her there. So yes - it is herself she is serving here, and the SSS, and her interpretation of the information she had has been directed towards one goal: "If a god exists, i want to fight him".

Therefore this domain 'must' be a creation of God she could mess with; therefore Tenshi 'must' be the God's avatar, attacking whom would transmit her frustration. Because if they weren't, she wouldn't have anything to direct her anger at, which is something she is not ready to accept. Though from how the events are shaping up, it will likely come to a point where she won't be able to look away from that possibility any more, and will have to face the conclusion that she has been crusading for naught. Where she goes from there ... we shall see i suppose.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2010-05-03 at 04:09.
Closed Thread