Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-13, 14:01   Link #1
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Looking for anime about assassins

Hi there! I've been watching animes like these lately and I love it. The crazy gunfights, people dodging bullets, the thrill of looking through a sniper rifle, you know, those kinda things!

I've watched "Golgo 13", "Noir", and I'm currently watching "Phantom the Animation" (also played the game) and "Madlax"

Can you recomend me any new or old anime that fall under that genre?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: almost forgot, I also watched Gunslinger Girl, so leave that one out too!

Last edited by MartAnimE; 2004-09-13 at 14:24.
Old 2004-09-13, 14:07   Link #2
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

From what you've written, I think you'll enjoy GunGrave. It's a 26 episode mafia series. There are lots of assassinations and great gun fights. It also has a really good plot and characters. It's licensed, and I think the first two DVDs have been released so far.

You might also enjoy Gantz, although I recommend the manga over the anime. The anime is licensed, but the manga is not. The basic premise is: dead people are summoned by the black ball Gantz to kill aliens. Really amazing, despite the odd premise. You should love it.
Old 2004-09-13, 14:27   Link #3
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
From what you've written, I think you'll enjoy GunGrave. It's a 26 episode mafia series. There are lots of assassinations and great gun fights. It also has a really good plot and characters. It's licensed, and I think the first two DVDs have been released so far.

You might also enjoy Gantz, although I recommend the manga over the anime. The anime is licensed, but the manga is not. The basic premise is: dead people are summoned by the black ball Gantz to kill aliens. Really amazing, despite the odd premise. You should love it.
All right, GunGrave sounds good, I'll check it, Gantz sounds... weird I shall give it a try anyway, both the anime and the manga! Thanks a lot
Old 2004-09-13, 15:42   Link #4
MartAnimE
willingness to die

no more suggestions, anyone?
Old 2004-09-13, 16:01   Link #5
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
hmm wasn't Noir about two assassins?
Old 2004-09-13, 16:07   Link #6
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oujirou
hmm wasn't Noir about two assassins?
yes, it was. I've watched that already and I loved it! I reccomend it!

EDIT: lol you should be recomending, not me
Old 2004-09-13, 16:37   Link #7
Oujirou
イルージョン

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartAnimE
yes, it was. I've watched that already and I loved it! I reccomend it!

EDIT: lol you should be recomending, not me
Haha yeah, I know, but I saw Noir, it's been awhile since I've seen it. Oh well, I'll try to think of some more.
Old 2004-09-13, 17:13   Link #8
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

By the way: for all of your Gantz manga needs, the place is http://manga.crystalnova.net/?series=GANTZ. I can't tell you where to get the anime because it's licensed. I strongly encourage you to read the manga, though, and don't give up if you don't like the first few volumes!
Old 2004-09-13, 17:17   Link #9
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
By the way: for all of your Gantz manga needs, the place is http://manga.crystalnova.net/?series=GANTZ. I can't tell you where to get the anime because it's licensed. I strongly encourage you to read the manga, though, and don't give up if you don't like the first few volumes!
Thanks a lot! How nice of you, providing me the source! It saves me some work!

EDIT: I've started reading it and it's quite disturbing, it has a "Battle Royale" fell to it doesn't it? I'm definetly picking this! Thanks!

Last edited by MartAnimE; 2004-09-14 at 07:00.
Old 2004-09-14, 18:23   Link #10
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
I suggest Peace Maker Kurogane series , Ghost in the Shell (movie), Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (series), Hellsing (series), and can't go wrong with Gungrave (series) like mentioned earlier.
Old 2004-09-14, 20:50   Link #11
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
I suggest Peace Maker Kurogane series
What is this about?
Old 2004-09-14, 21:04   Link #12
ramune

Quote:
What is this about?
It's an anime about Shinsengumi. You need some Japanese history knowledge to fully understand it.

I wonder how come no one suggested Gunslinger Girl?

Edit: Oops. Didn't see the edit in thread starter's post.

Last edited by ramune; 2004-09-14 at 21:33.
Old 2004-09-14, 21:14   Link #13
Oujirou
イルージョン

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
It's an anime about Shinsengumi. You need some Japanese history knowledge to fully understand it.

I wonder how come no one suggested Gunslinger Girl?
She said she saw Gunslinger Girl already...hmm there arent many assassin animes...would make it easier if there was a category for it (like action or adventure)

Wasn't there an assassin in Outlaw Star? I wonder if that counts...

Last edited by Oujirou; 2004-09-14 at 21:26.
Old 2004-09-14, 21:30   Link #14
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Well, I guess I don't have enough Japanese history knowledge to fully understand it, but I might as well give it a try, if you think it's worth it!

Also, it doesn't have to be exclusively about assassination, it could also be something similar to Cowboy Bebop, for example!
Old 2004-09-14, 21:34   Link #15
Oujirou
イルージョン

here's one I don't think was mentioned, Rurouni Kenshin, the OVA prequel, the OVA sequel and the movie. I've only seen some of it.

(Taken from ANN) Himura Kenshin is a vagabond with a dark past and sunny disposition. Not a ronin but a rurouni, he was never a samurai, but an assassin of utmost skill in the Meiji restoration, who in the turning point of the war simply walked away. His travels lead him to Tokyo in the 11th year of the Meiji era, where he befriends a female Kendo master, a former thief, a brawler and a doctor all with their own secrets. Together they fight off the enemies surfacing from the dark past that Kenshin cannot escape.
Old 2004-09-14, 21:38   Link #16
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
here's one I don't think was mentioned, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Samurai X OVA)
Right, I should have tought of that, I've seen the tv series but I never came to watch the OVA! This OVA portraits the years early to the tv series, when Kenshin was still a merciless killer, right? It should be good!
Old 2004-09-14, 21:38   Link #17
ramune

Hmm...how about Trigun? There's a lot of gunfights in it.

And yes Kenshin is a good one.
Old 2004-09-14, 21:40   Link #18
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
here's one I don't think was mentioned, Rurouni Kenshin, the OVA prequel, the OVA sequel and the movie. I've only seen some of it.

(Taken from ANN) Himura Kenshin is a vagabond with a dark past and sunny disposition. Not a ronin but a rurouni, he was never a samurai, but an assassin of utmost skill in the Meiji restoration, who in the turning point of the war simply walked away. His travels lead him to Tokyo in the 11th year of the Meiji era, where he befriends a female Kendo master, a former thief, a brawler and a doctor all with their own secrets. Together they fight off the enemies surfacing from the dark past that Kenshin cannot escape.
Yes, that should do it! Thanks a bunch!
Old 2004-09-14, 21:43   Link #19
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Hmm...how about Trigun? There's a lot of gunfights in it.
I've watched Trigun! It was good, but sometimes it became rather comical and cartoonish! I better go for something more realistic and dramatic!
Old 2004-09-14, 21:51   Link #20
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
Quote:
Right, I should have tought of that, I've seen the tv series but I never came to watch the OVA! This OVA portraits the years early to the tv series, when Kenshin was still a merciless killer, right? It should be good!
You're right about that, its excellent, lots of action, plot twists, and explains a lot to the series. Peace Maker Kurogane is around the same timeline as Kenshin, although it is historically accurate. It has action, comedy, drama, mixed in very well.

Ghost in the Shell (movie+series) takes place in the 21st Century in Tokyo, the main characters are from Section 9, most of them having cybernetic implants or cybernetic bodies. Its a very cool action pack, detective, mystery type anime.

Hellsing is an organization in current time England that hunts vampires and demons, twist is the star of the show is a demon vampire himself. Mainly gun fighting, but extremely cool.
Closed Thread