AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-29, 18:04   Link #1241
Nixl

Hey all, what is Skyrim's re-playability compared to Morrowind? Morrowind has a lot of hidden loot, shrines, quests, books, etc and I am worried that Skyrim may not have that same exploration and variation. That is not to say it would be bad, but I may wait for it to drop in price before dropping $60.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 18:06   Link #1242
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Played this on Expert (difficulty) at first, then turned it on Master recently. And it got quite harder now. Mobs have tons more hp, and especially as i'm a thief, now they can spot your sneak much easier, and easier to detect you even when they turned your back (even when it's already at 100, and even with invisible on). Don't want to put on the broken alchemy<>smithing enchants, so it's pretty challenge playing with glass dagger. Have to set up a smithing set through, as even x15 backstab could not kill some mobs

@Nixl: i still think Morrowind is more unique in term of quests, explorations. As in here most quests can be done at specific sites, and you rarely counter a quest giving by NPCs on the way to some locations (onyl found 1 so far, the guy that gives you Ebony gloves +30% 2 hand, then some other guy supported to get it back, but he was smashed by giants before i can finish the dialogues). They have quite some puzzles in ruins to solve through, quite easy most of the case. And the journal book with quest marking helps a lot ( i think the journal was not this good in Morrowind)

Btw, the one-hand enchantment does not provide extra damage to daggers. May have to use duel sword as thief at this rate D:

Edit1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
How do you use this? D:
It said copy into the file folder, but then i don't understand the "press F1" to activate part. What exactly should i do?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-11-29 at 18:25.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 18:22   Link #1243
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Hey all, what is Skyrim's re-playability compared to Morrowind? Morrowind has a lot of hidden loot, shrines, quests, books, etc and I am worried that Skyrim may not have that same exploration and variation. That is not to say it would be bad, but I may wait for it to drop in price before dropping $60.
You can get it for $45 though if you buy it online. Can't say much about Morrowind since I haven't played but hmm.. Hidden loot? Not really in Skyrim, everything is in obvious places and there's a grand chest in end of each dungeon that contains junk. When I say junk, I mean it because you can make better stuff yourself and also because money is almost useless in this game par buying a house and buying skill levels around lvl50 or higher.

There are tons of books but most are just some random stories, not even lore. There isnt many books about the lore itself which is kinda sad. Theres also a lot of books that increase your skill, and some give random quests (Though I've found only one quest book in 88 hours of gameplay).

Quests are pretty basic, but there's some really interesting ones. The most interesting ones for me have been the quests where you acquire Daedric Artifact, as well as the Winterhold College questline (Mage college).

Some people have claimed Skyrim dungeons to be repetitive but honestly I don't see it. They have some variation, and are much more interesting than the dungeons in Oblivion.

The puzzles in Skyrim are lame. There's literally only two kind of puzzles. A puzzle where you must turn stones into correct position, and you can find the position from the walls of the dungeon, usually nearby. The second puzzle is one where you open a sealed door into the Dragon Shrine, and it's even easier as soon as you figure out how to solve it because all of those sealed doors are opened the same way. (I won't spoil).
Old 2011-11-29, 18:35   Link #1244
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
You can play the same character on Skyrim forever. Skyrim has a procedural quest generation system. The various guilds and merchants and I think even random people in town will keep giving you quests (the quests are all simple, ala "steal item x" or "modify ledger at shop/inn y"). Most if not all dungeons also repopulate with monsters and loot, and the dungeons all look unique and beautiful unlike Oblivion/Morrowind which recycled the interiors much more. There are still some recycled interiors here and there but it's not as apparent. All the Daedric shrine quests are there as you'd expect, and all the books (including a ton of new books, too). Even if you discount the procedural quests, there are many quests to do, ranging from "deliver this letter for me" to "take part in this civil war". There are many shouts to unlock, and each shout has three words that you need to track down. Dragons keep spawning forever, too, even after you finish the main quest. So there really is a lot to do; I don't think you'll have problems with replayability.

Also, Skyrim is, to my best knowledge, the first Elder Scrolls title that adds usable mannequins, display cases, wall mounts, weapon racks, and bookshelves into the core game. You'll find these in your houses and won't have to download any mod for it. So if you're into home decoration, this is your game.

@Dist about half the books I found were lore, stuff like the Wolf Queen or Barenziah or History of the Empire or Dwemer stuff or books about Daedra or religious topics.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 18:45   Link #1245
Nixl

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the replies. Secondly, how are the mods coming to anyone's knowledge? I know Morrowind had an avid Mod following, which added some neat features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
You can get it for $45 though if you buy it online. Can't say much about Morrowind since I haven't played but hmm.. Hidden loot? Not really in Skyrim, everything is in obvious places and there's a grand chest in end of each dungeon that contains junk. When I say junk, I mean it because you can make better stuff yourself and also because money is almost useless in this game par buying a house and buying skill levels around lvl50 or higher.
Never played Morrowind!?!

I joke of course, but it is indeed an amazing game and its take on metaphysics and the politics of a savior are quite intriguing. That and, the map is gigantic and riddled with secrets and treasure to plunder. Furthermore, I would say that compared to other fantasy RPGs that typically put you in Medieval Europe, Morrowind brings the atmosphere of an almost alien landscape. Definitely a classic I would suggest alongside Planescape Torment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

@Nixl: i still think Morrowind is more unique in term of quests, explorations. As in here most quests can be done at specific sites, and you rarely counter a quest giving by NPCs on the way to some locations (onyl found 1 so far, the guy that gives you Ebony gloves +30% 2 hand, then some other guy supported to get it back, but he was smashed by giants before i can finish the dialogues). They have quite some puzzles in ruins to solve through, quite easy most of the case. And the journal book with quest marking helps a lot ( i think the journal was not this good in Morrowind)
I did not now about the puzzles, but from what you say it a bit more directed and focused compared to Morrowind in terms of quests. Not a bad thing, but a small difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
You can play the same character on Skyrim forever. Skyrim has a procedural quest generation system. The various guilds and merchants and I think even random people in town will keep giving you quests (the quests are all simple, ala "steal item x" or "modify ledger at shop/inn y"). Most if not all dungeons also repopulate with monsters and loot, and the dungeons all look unique and beautiful unlike Oblivion/Morrowind which recycled the interiors much more. There are still some recycled interiors here and there but it's not as apparent. All the Daedric shrine quests are there as you'd expect, and all the books (including a ton of new books, too). Even if you discount the procedural quests, there are many quests to do, ranging from "deliver this letter for me" to "take part in this civil war". There are many shouts to unlock, and each shout has three words that you need to track down. Dragons keep spawning forever, too, even after you finish the main quest. So there really is a lot to do; I don't think you'll have problems with replayability.

@Dist about half the books I found were lore, stuff like the Wolf Queen or Barenziah or History of the Empire or Dwemer stuff or books about Daedra or religious topics.
Does it have any great house type factions like Morrowind? I know there are civil war factions and guilds, but aside from that any others?

I almost want to boot up my Telvanni sorcerer up right now.
Old 2011-11-29, 18:47   Link #1246
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
How do you use this? D:
It said copy into the file folder, but then i don't understand the "press F1" to activate part. What exactly should i do?
Extract it into your Skyrim folder (your C drive; not the one in My Documents/My Games).

Next step is to go in-game and press F1 to enable it. Then F2. And you should see the text on the upper-left hand side where your notifications are shown to know that it works.

It might also be that the author removed some parts of his file, as he borrowed data from another person. Check to see if you have the asiloader and the ScriptDragon DLL. If not, search for those on Nexus and put them into your Skyrim folder.

Hope that helped.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 18:52   Link #1247
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Dist: I found the story/lore books in-game as big a time-sink as the game itself. So much to read about the stuff in Tamriel, in-story fiction or otherwise. For example, if you hadn't read some of these books, you wouldn't know that the Thalmor pretty much retconned all of the Grand Champion of Cyrodiil's accomplishments, and made it that THEY stopped the Oblivion Crisis. The bastards.
Old 2011-11-29, 18:53   Link #1248
lightbringer
M9000

There are unfortunately no joinable factions like the great houses. You can work your way up to become Thane of every Jarl (which rewards you with a bodyguard in every hold, a "housecarl" who is a companion you can order to follow you around, make him wear some items and armor you want, and carry stuff for you). This usually requires you to buy a house first and complete a number of quests helping people in that hold. In terms of factions you can actually join and progress with there's the Companions (kind of like the Warrior Guild), the Thieves Guild, Winterhold College (kind of like the Mages Guild), the Bards College (I think that's what it's called, haven't done their quests yet so not sure what they're really about), and the Dark Brotherhood. And of course you can join either the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Legion and help one of them win the civil war.

Morrowind was great in this regard but Skyrim is a more mainstream and accessible game. I'd even settle simply for a screen that shows me the current rank with the guilds and what holds I am Thane of, but alas we don't even get that much here. I am Arch-Mage and Prelate and Thane of at least three holds but you'd hardly know it looking at my character, only from some NPC interactions.

Also, the interface is a clunky console port. It's usable but wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 2011-11-29, 19:25   Link #1249
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Extract it into your Skyrim folder (your C drive; not the one in My Documents/My Games).

Next step is to go in-game and press F1 to enable it. Then F2. And you should see the text on the upper-left hand side where your notifications are shown to know that it works.

It might also be that the author removed some parts of his file, as he borrowed data from another person. Check to see if you have the asiloader and the ScriptDragon DLL. If not, search for those on Nexus and put them into your Skyrim folder.

Hope that helped.
Have to download the other file as well, i see

Great thank there
Old 2011-11-29, 19:49   Link #1250
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Dist: I found the story/lore books in-game as big a time-sink as the game itself. So much to read about the stuff in Tamriel, in-story fiction or otherwise. For example, if you hadn't read some of these books, you wouldn't know that the Thalmor pretty much retconned all of the Grand Champion of Cyrodiil's accomplishments, and made it that THEY stopped the Oblivion Crisis. The bastards.
I read that, and instantly went on a thalmor killing spree. I hope they do a game where we MURDER THEIR ENTIRE KINGDOM! Morrowind, oblivion and skyrim's MC's banding together to destroy them!
Old 2011-11-29, 20:29   Link #1251
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Guys, you probably all know this by now, but Skyrim turns out to be the first ever western game to get a 40/40 from Famitsu. Source.
That perfect score is well deserved. I have played the game well over a hundred hours by now and am still not tired of it. Wow.
Old 2011-11-29, 20:34   Link #1252
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
ZGoten: To be fair, all Elder Scroll games are massive timesinks, and Skyrim is continuing the grand tradition. And it doesn't hurt that, unlike Oblivion, the AI isn't stupid (much) and the level scaling isn't horrifically unbalanced, and unlike Morrowind, Skyrim is VERY pretty.

Heck, I don't think I've scratched even half of the major quests, nevermind the main questline.
Old 2011-11-29, 20:48   Link #1253
Nixl

I thought Morrowind was pretty stunning for its day. Also considering how many games are making much smaller and more linear worlds today I still think Morrowind is a great feat for its openness and size.
Old 2011-11-29, 21:34   Link #1254
lightbringer
M9000

When I first played it around seven or eight years ago, it knocked my socks off. I loaded it up recently and sad to say it hasn't aged that well. Even Oblivion does not look as good as it used to "back in the day". Skyrim is not the most visually stunning game but it's miles above Oblivion and of course Morrowind can't even compete there. But what I missed the most in Morrowind this time was voiceovers. Maybe I am spoiled by voiceovers in pretty much every game these days

I'll just remember Morrowind fondly for what it was, a kind of milestone in niche open-word RPGs.
Old 2011-11-29, 23:15   Link #1255
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... there's nothing wrong with a great game quietly becoming obsolete - it was still a milestone.
Old 2011-11-30, 00:20   Link #1256
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
The puzzles in Skyrim are lame. There's literally only two kind of puzzles. A puzzle where you must turn stones into correct position, and you can find the position from the walls of the dungeon, usually nearby. The second puzzle is one where you open a sealed door into the Dragon Shrine, and it's even easier as soon as you figure out how to solve it because all of those sealed doors are opened the same way. (I won't spoil).
You forget the puzzles where you need to pull levers and/or switches in the correct sequence in order to open the right door. Sometimes, opening one door with the same switch will cause another to close, so you need to figure out which door to open first.

And while the ancient Nord stone puzzles do seem repetitive at times, there are variations to them that prevent them from becoming monotone. There's a variation where spinning one stone will spin another, so you not only need to spin them to the correct icon, but spin them in the proper order.

While many of the dungeons do have a certain basic structure to them (the end treasure room most often has a path that leads back near the dungeon entrance) and many use the same object assets, for the most part the larger dungeons have a good number of variety to their design (letting loose some caged vampires to wreck havoc on Fellglow Keep's occupants never gets old ).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 04:03   Link #1257
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Skyrim Japanese Trailer

Old 2011-11-30, 04:32   Link #1258
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Lightbringer actually jogged my memory. Is the bard college a joinable college a la thieves guild?
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 04:37   Link #1259
lightbringer
M9000

Can't have been cheap to localize it, considering the staggering amount of voice overs... of course, they do it for other countries in Europe, too. Anyway, it doesn't sound half-bad in Japanese and I hope it becomes a big hit over there, too (but the English voice acting in Skyrim is amazing, something we can't say about most anime dubs for instance).

@Stiletto yes, you can join the bard college in Solitude. I haven't actually played through their missions but they send you on a quest to retrieve some item as a prerequisite to joining.
Old 2011-11-30, 04:49   Link #1260
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Ok, now I got the bug where I am unable to become the Thane of Riften. I have found a console fix for this but said fix comes with a warning saying that this may or may not have side effects later on.

Anybody else got this problem (PC) and used the console fix?

Seems like I am a magnet for this things.....

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim