AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-06-26, 01:47   Link #1
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
what makes your downloads(internet in general not just BT) faster?

so far the list i complied was....

1. modem

2. ethernet card vs usb port.

3. service

4. cable line which i think means the speed your area is by the phone lines n stuff.

5. your computers ram and the ammount of lagg that slows down the dl??

man i dunno what the hell im doin i'd like some education on this and what i should go buy.

in the end i just wanna dl crap faster on azureus which now wont even work after downloading another java program which some guy ssaid was faster.

i even tried deleting the old one. and i tried deleting azu and getting it again.
NarutoHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 04:01   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Geesh. You have a complicated question.

Modem brand? Well, I'm going to consider it as broadband only. Dial-up, well you have other issues. You speed is capped.

On broadband, Your biggest bottleneck will be your Internet connection.
Cable is fast 1-3Mbps in the US. (when none of your neighbors are downloading a lot of crap. the more people, the slower it will be. (think of it as taking a shower and someone in the house flushing the toilet. the amount of cold water decreases and you get burned.)

DSL is slower (256-1.5Mbps) but your neighbors will not affect your speed. It will be affected when your provider POP/POT is congested. (think of it as rush hour traffic on the freeways). The main pipe is busy but you may/maynot be affected.

The second will be the router/firewall. routers/firewalls route at the packet level. It can cause a bottleneck when there are a lot of packets (data) being downloaded. If you have a filter there (e.g. Anti-virus/firewall) it will slow down since the router will need to scan each and every packet that needs to be handed off to your computer. There are many types of routers. I personally use Linksys (Cisco-home brand) since it's reliable but it is not the fastest router. Belkin is much slower and so is D-Link. I also use Cisco (very fast but also expensive).

This comes to the ethernet/usb issue. Ethernet is faster than USB. It's also more reliable (IMO) than USB. The difference is not noticable since the cable/dsl connection is still much slower. Ethernet also allows you to share connections while USB is tied to one system.

computer ram/processing power. This does not play a major role - if you have a decent system. I would say a P3-500 or better. Anti-virus and software firewall will decrease the download speed if you are doing anything else. My old P3-550 bogged down BT to 43Kbps when I'm watching anime or playing Halo. RAM should be about 20MB per torrent to be on the safe side. I would recommend you have at least 128MB RAM but to be on the safe side, 256MB.

As to Azureus, see _Sin_'s guide. If you need to, uninstall the JRE from your system. (also manually delete the directories), Reboot (to remove all the Sun JAVA junk in the memory) and reinstall Java. Install the Latest Azureus.

What type of router do you have? If you have a Linksys, enable uPnP in the router. Azureus will do the rest.

I hope this helps.
________
KAROSSERIE BAUR

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:24.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:30   Link #3
Doppelganger
Lazy Undergraduate

Send a message via ICQ to Doppelganger Send a message via AIM to Doppelganger
a minor thing

Something you can do if you are jacked directly into the internet (NOT through a router) is play with your TCP/IP settings to send out bigger packets (and thus use less overhead per payload.)

The TCP Optimizer at http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php is not bad at this.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:34   Link #4
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Some routers actually allow you to change the MTU size.

the recommended is
576 - Dial-up Connections
1492 - PPPoE Broadband Connections
1500 - Ethernet, DSL and Cable Broadband Connections

the other place you have to change this is (for windows) in the registry.

2000/XP only:

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\
Interfaces\[Adapter ID]]
Value Name: MTU
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: Default = 0xffffffff

I cannot remember 95/98 settings.

Linux users will have to edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (assuming that eth0 is your NIC).
________
Water Bong

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:24.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote