AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-10-11, 18:31   Link #61
sonikku10
ĝrz_Phtgrphy

I'm having trouble playing the older .ogm files on MPlayer OSX Extended. Well, actual playback isn't a problem, but I can't change audio tracks on dual-audio .ogm files. MPlayer only finds one audio track. Kinda like that second track isn't even there.
Old 2008-10-11, 19:53   Link #62
sk3

I always had that problem even with the older builds of Mplayer OS X i just use VLC for it (it's the only thing i use for anyway...)
Old 2008-10-12, 15:51   Link #63
eyesonlyfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikku10 View Post
I'm having trouble playing the older .ogm files on MPlayer OSX Extended. Well, actual playback isn't a problem, but I can't change audio tracks on dual-audio .ogm files. MPlayer only finds one audio track. Kinda like that second track isn't even there.
Mplayer can't change the audio track during playback, at least for ogm files. Start mplayer with "-aid 1" or put this in your config file:
aid=1
Old 2008-10-13, 08:51   Link #64
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Mplayer can change the audio with mkv, I don't have any dual-audio ogm file at hand to test it. If you can point me to one I can look into it.
Old 2008-10-16, 15:54   Link #65
Kaonashi

Send a message via MSN to Kaonashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer View Post
Mplayer can change the audio with mkv, I don't have any dual-audio ogm file at hand to test it. If you can point me to one I can look into it.
I don't think you should bother with it, since this is a long-standing problem with MPlayer. The devs have said that unless someone codes a new module for OGM the problem will continue.

Last edited by Kaonashi; 2008-10-17 at 16:40.
Old 2008-10-20, 11:21   Link #66
voxxchubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer View Post
@LordMelkor
Oh, sorry, it's a ZIP and not a DMG file. Didn't bother to put it into a proper DMG but then forgot... ^^'
http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/downloads/...rev6-test1.zip

To test it, I used VMWare and I can't go into fullscreen there. So I would appreciate if you could confirm if it's still an issue with this version.

I'll look into it if the menubar still doesn't go away.
I decided to test this too. Same problem, works fine going into Fullscreen, menubars disappear. But if you try to leave fullscreen and then go back, it either crashes, or simply doesn't. Doubling the size, however, works fine.

Great work btw, I look forward to seeing the revisions getting better and better!
Old 2008-10-20, 11:30   Link #67
sk3

I recently formatted by MBP and the problem i talked about is still happening. After watching many files when i quit mplayer os x, it takes a while until it closes. sometimes even the animations from the system are "disabled" and it looks like the finder and dock just crashed. Sometimes it takes about a minute, others 2, and other times it's like 30 seconds.

I would post something from the console but there isn't anything that i could say that's causing the problem. the only thing that appears is the close file timestamp and exit timestamp, no errors, warning, nothing!

And i'm curious about one thing...

The "older" version of the mplayer os x, mantained by andiyar and Nonezumi, Mplayer would extract the font's from MKV's to a folder under ~/.mplayer/fonts.

I would clean that folder from time to time to fix a problem with some fonts that would appear vertically instead of horizontally. I've noticed that this folder doesn't exist on my system. I'm having some problems with the first episode of kamen no maid guy from TK-Y.

What's strange is, that it's only the first episode that has this problem. i had this problem with Itazura na kiss from m33w but did the steps above and fixed my problem.

Does any one have an idea about this ?

PS: i'll post screenshots ASAP

As you can see, the subtitles are displayed wrong, but i haven't found another file that is doing this. Works fine on windows, but i've just checked before posting the update, that VLC does the same as mplayer os x.

I'm going to cleanup my font cache with Onyx and i'll update this post soon

Last edited by sk3; 2008-10-20 at 11:47. Reason: posted screenshot
Old 2008-10-20, 11:45   Link #68
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
I just released revision 7:
  • Fixed internal video output on tiger
    This release has all the fixes for the internal video output on Tiger. If anyone encounters other problems, please open a ticket in the trac. I can't test very well on Tiger so there might always be problems that I'm not aware of.
  • Fixed internal video output with too little shared memory
    If other applications used up all shared memory on your system, then MPlayerOSX would fail to open the internal video output (the shared memory is globally limited on OSX). Switched to a different way of doing shared memory that doesn't have this limit.
  • Improved fullscreen transition
    I tried to get the annoying flicker away, that showed up when going into fullscreen with the internal video output. Reworked the whole transition in the process and quite like it.
  • Various other fixes
    Like the aspect ratio preferences or support for the Apple Remote.

@sk3
Looking at the timestamps, is mplayer terminated before the long wait or after?

The fonts directory is no longer needed with recent builds of mplayer and fontconfig, where the fonts are loaded directly into memory. There is probably an incompatibility between libass and the file you've got. Try the new version that contains a current build of mplayer to see if it has been fixed.
Old 2008-10-20, 11:49   Link #69
sk3

haha i should have refreshed this windows 2 minutes before i posted my update i'll try it right now

Would you like to see the console logs anyway, anime_layer ?

UPDATE: problem remains. i also cleaned font cache and restarted my system, and let mplayer re-cache again.
UPDATE2:

@anime_layer

from what i can see, mplayer exit's before mplayer os x.

Code:
Mon Oct 20 06:10:26 sk3-mac-ethernet MPlayer OSX Extended[439] <Info>: Exiting... (Quit)
Mon Oct 20 06:10:40 sk3-mac-ethernet MPlayer OSX Extended[439] <Info>: ===================== MPlayer OSX Terminated =====================
This is from today. it took about 15 seconds to mplayer os x close.

I don't have many logs right now because i formated my laptop recently, so it might have been some kind of problem with my last installation. but still, i remember the other release of mplayer os x closing immediately (or 3 or 4 seconds until close).

Last edited by sk3; 2008-10-20 at 12:09.
Old 2008-10-23, 01:24   Link #70
LordMelkor

Hey anime_layer, the full screen issue for tiger still hasn't been resolved (The one where it can go into fullscreen only once before having to quit).

EDIT: There seems to already be a ticket for it.

EDIT2: Lol... I just found a much more serious error... for some reason MPlayer on Tiger can no longer open avi files....

Last edited by LordMelkor; 2008-10-23 at 01:46.
Old 2008-10-23, 09:35   Link #71
sk3

I've been trying to track the problem i have and i think i've came across "some" logic.

I've been monitoring my "anime sessions" where i watch many files continuously (from the same series or various different series). I MAINLY watch MKV's h264 so it's my "standard" format to watch. I've came across some interesting things.

After these "sessions" when i close mplayer os x, my laptop slows down so much that i cannot even use finder or the Dock. the animations are frozen and the system won't do anything until mplayer os x fully closes. now the best part is, i've noticed and tracked the behavior. When i tell mplayer os x to quit while having a file opened, mplayer stops almost immediately (1-2 seconds not much more) and the mplayer os x closes IN THE CONSOLE after 10 seconds or maybe less/more depending on the usage. Now the best part is that even after mplayer os x is closed and logged on the console, the process STILL EXISTS and is in the dock like it's opened. This is a strange behavior because, since it's logged that mplayer os x was closed, why is it on the Dock after it's closed ?

my "idea" about this is, like you, anime_layer said, mplayer now loads fonts and stuff directly to the memory. Is it possible that when mplayer os x is closed that it's doing something like a safe clean of the memory it used?

This behavior has been detect about 3 times after i've been watching files for some hours, i also noticed that sometimes (really rare times) my while i have a opened file, my Dock will look so bad that the effects lag sometimes (like it has low FPS to process the effect). this is another behavior i've noticed using this build of mplayer os x. I didn't have any of this problems using the other builds so i could say that it might be some problem with mplayer itself and not mplayer os x.

Other than that my files open flawlessly (i've only came across 1 or 2 files that would crash mplayer os x, but would opened right after).

oh and this was done on a fully formatted macbook pro. i've formatted it like 1 week and half and only installed the important applications.
Old 2008-10-23, 21:19   Link #72
LordMelkor

My ticket for the latest MPlayer being unable to play AVIs in Tiger was removed... Is mplayer not supposed to play avis?
Old 2008-11-02, 12:51   Link #73
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMelkor View Post
My ticket for the latest MPlayer being unable to play AVIs in Tiger was removed... Is mplayer not supposed to play avis?
Your problem cannot be duplicated. Everyone else that has used MPlayer finds that it plays AVIs just fine. If there's a specific AVI file that's giving you trouble, you should provide it so that it can be checked out.
Old 2008-11-10, 13:54   Link #74
LordMelkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Your problem cannot be duplicated. Everyone else that has used MPlayer finds that it plays AVIs just fine. If there's a specific AVI file that's giving you trouble, you should provide it so that it can be checked out.
I've tried it with numerous different avi files on my computer, none of which work. I am certain this pertains to all avi files. But if you want to do a direct comparison you can try:

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

(that page has 2 small avi files, neither of which of course work on mplayer).

mplayerissue.zip - 0.96MB

that has a console log and a screenshot.
Old 2008-11-10, 14:05   Link #75
sk3

did you tried trashing preferences file? i checked the log but, as i'm not an expert on mplayer, it seams it's something about the output that makes it crash. maybe you changed something you shouldn't?

try it and see if it works

ps: i've seen many apps on mac os x working right after deleting the preferences file.
Old 2008-11-11, 22:41   Link #76
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

I can both play those avi files, though it might be more useful for sk3 to give them a try since he's running Tiger. I'd go with sk3's suggestion for the time being, as well as deleting the preference file for the regular MPlayer OSX if you've ever installed that program. Unfortunately, your log file doesn't really say anything very useful at first glance; it doesn't seem like your MPlayer even gets as far as actually playing the video (or rather, it dies just as it's starting to try to play it).
Old 2008-11-12, 10:53   Link #77
sk3

Actually i'm running Leopard but i don't think the problem about AVI's should be about the OS. it's very strange indeed.

You can also try running the older mplayer os x that's hosted on mplayer's site to see at least if you can watch xvid's. maybe that would help trying to find what's the reason behind that problem
Old 2008-11-13, 01:21   Link #78
LordMelkor

Um... the problem is actually almost certainly an OS issue... Tiger was having some issues before, and anime_layer made some fixes which then broke avis... Comon people, dont go saying things like:

"Your problem cannot be duplicated. Everyone else that has used MPlayer finds that it plays AVIs just fine. If there's a specific AVI file that's giving you trouble, you should provide it so that it can be checked out."

When you aren't even testing it on the same platform, it just makes you look bad.

As for actually playing avi's quicktime+perian and VLC treat me just fine, I dont even use mplayer for anything, I just thought I could use my computer to help anime_layer out by testing it on my system. Looks like the guy doesn't really give a damn (deleting tickets... lol).

Last edited by LordMelkor; 2008-11-15 at 04:04.
Old 2008-11-13, 01:57   Link #79
sk3

Hold on LordMelkor, something might have been misunderstood

I know that the problem you're having is really strange but it shouldn't be OS related. as far as i know, both OS's use corevideo for displaying the video. An older release used "Mplayer OS X". So as far as i know, mplayer does have a render, and that option might be hidden from the newest release, and since anime_layer updated mplayer os x interface and people were reporting problems with the render itself, it must have been some reason to "delete" the option.

Well, i don't know much about mplayer compilation (i've tried so many times, and always failed) but i know there are command line options the you can put to use something.

I can give a test tomorrow and check some commands to see if something happens or better, if the problem is fixed. You could also use quartz or quicktime as the render of mplayer os x (i guess that's the option, not in my mbp at the moment) to see if it works, since you can view AVI's with quicktime.

In any case, don't think that someone doesn't give a damn. the problem could be mplayer itself too (that's usually the problem of using SVN versions of software).

I'll check tomorrow if i can, for a few commands to see if we can get more information about this, i too have a problem with mplayer os x and seems nobody has the same
Old 2008-11-13, 06:52   Link #80
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ LordMelkor

I would suggest downloading the 'official' build of MPlayer from the actual official site and see if that also shares the problem that MPlayer OSX Extended is having with .avi files. If it doesn't, I'd be willing to bet it's a problem with the specific binary of mplayer existing within Extended - in which case, you may be better off compiling the binary yourself and dropping it into the Extended .app bundle, so that you get the best of both worlds. If, however, the .avi problem *does* exist with the official build, you might have something of a deeper problem with mplayer. And if that happens, we can hunt for other solutions

-Andiyar

Tags
wiki candidate