AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-01-13, 07:14   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1001 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Boy, it's been a pretty crazy start so far, but Happy New Year, nonetheless! Currently we've got a brief spoiler summary, courtesy of AP's Redon:

-Chapter title is "Onigashima's decisive monster battle". Splash features Jinbei.

-Kaidou is shocked that Luffy was able to damage him, as very few people in the world can go toe to toe with him. In fact, as he looks at the rubber man, he sees the shadows of Roger, Whitebeard, Oden, and Rocks! The emperor then uses his Raimei Hakke/Thunder Bagua technique, but Luffy, using observation haki, is able to DODGE it this time!

-....At least, partially, anyway. Kaidou was still a bit too fast for him to dodge completely. Big Mom follows up with a fire attack, but Zoro steps in, slicing Prometheus in half using Kinemon's fox fire technique (which he admits he stole)! As the battle continues, the three supernova captains begin squabbling again, before BM attacks them with fireballs! Luffy bets them that the first one to get hit is a scrub, but it looks like all three of them get hit at the same time, heh.

-Zoro (who puts on the bandanna,) squabbles with Killer, whom he recognizes as "Kamazou" due to his laugh. Nonetheless, they team up against Kaidou, though it seems their attacks do negligible damage. The captains follow up with their own team attacks, as well! It's at this point that the two emperors get serious: Big Mom envelops her sword Napoleon in flames, while Kaidou transforms into dragon form! The king of beasts considers it a waste to kill the supernovas, but it can't be helped.... and after he finishes them off, he'll take their crews, treasures, AND Poneglyphs! Ultimately, the winner of this battle will be one step closer to becoming Pirate King....!!!!!

-BTW, for those unaware.... the latest OP popularity poll is underway! But seeing as this is part of the celebration for 1000+ chapters, there's a special twist: THE ENTIRE WORLD CAN PARTICIPATE THIS TIME!!!!! As the page states, fans can vote their favorite character once a day until the polls close (which is on Feb. 28th), so make as many votes as you can over the next month and a half.... you may see your character make the top spot!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-01-14 at 09:43.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-13, 17:42   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Facing two Yonkou and still competing with each definitely fits Luffy and Kid, Law a bit less. I figured he'd be more of the voice of reason/tsukkomi.
Old 2021-01-13, 22:43   Link #3
P_Dezz

yeah Law is weak compared to the others, but i'd like to see Kidd go all out, wonder what other forms does he have. Zoro, Kidd, Law, Killer together could probably take out Big Mom, but I don't know about Kaido. I was hoping to see Zoro and King but maybe that could still happen.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-14, 07:38   Link #4
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
yeah Law is weak compared to the others, but i'd like to see Kidd go all out, wonder what other forms does he have. Zoro, Kidd, Law, Killer together could probably take out Big Mom, but I don't know about Kaido. I was hoping to see Zoro and King but maybe that could still happen.
Law's primary role was a Support one. Considering his abilities as a doctor and he's eating Ope Ope Fruit, he's already having a good feat for having bounty of 500 million. I prefer Kidd and Luffy tag team to strike down Kaido since Kidd has a score to settle while Luffy wants to defeat him.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-14, 09:50   Link #5
marvelB

Okay, summary updated! It's a supernova vs. emperor free-for-all! Also, it's not quite Zoro vs. Sanji, but Ramero will probably appreciate all the supernova squabbling, nonetheless! Amusingly, Killer even claims that he would have slain Zoro in their earlier fight if he had his original weapons. Anyway, I'm still wondering when we'll finally see Kaidou in his hybrid form.....
Old 2021-01-14, 17:17   Link #6
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Okay, summary updated! It's a supernova vs. emperor free-for-all! Also, it's not quite Zoro vs. Sanji, but Ramero will probably appreciate all the supernova squabbling, nonetheless! Amusingly, Killer even claims that he would have slain Zoro in their earlier fight if he had his original weapons. Anyway, I'm still wondering when we'll finally see Kaidou in his hybrid form.....
LMAO~~ I was looking forward to what the squabble looks like anyway. But, looking for that pic about Luffy, Kid, and Law reacts to the fireball already makes me feels that this chapter is going to be interesting.

If only Sanji take Killer's position...

Update:
Oh wow... It's like Sabaody Arc all over again where the Captains at the auction challenge each other.

Last edited by Ramero; 2021-01-15 at 05:46.
Old 2021-01-15, 04:35   Link #7
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Oh God, that panel of Luffy, Kid and Law "dodging" the fireballs has to be one of the most hilarious things Oda has ever put to page. I had to take a moment to compose myself from laughing and crying so hard.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 07:55   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The battle is off to a really great start!
Old 2021-01-15, 08:31   Link #9
Homura7

Two of the most powerful pirates in a battle to death that might be their last.

Let's play chicken, whoever moves first is a scrub!

Glad to see they have got their priorities straight
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 11:22   Link #10
itachi-san314

The artwork is amazing this chapter. Felt like reading Berserk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Oh God, that panel of Luffy, Kid and Law "dodging" the fireballs has to be one of the most hilarious things Oda has ever put to page. I had to take a moment to compose myself from laughing and crying so hard.
yea that was hilarious. Reminded me of Robin and the others' faces when she read how Luffy was captured.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 12:29   Link #11
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Facing two Yonkou and still competing with each definitely fits Luffy and Kid, Law a bit less. I figured he'd be more of the voice of reason/tsukkomi.
That’s what makes it so great, they brought him down to their level

Also I forgot, why doesn’t Law’s hax power work on the stronger characters? Do they have a Resting Haki state?

Last edited by Tommy; 2021-01-15 at 15:12.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 12:34   Link #12
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
The artwork is amazing this chapter. Felt like reading Berserk
yea that was hilarious. Reminded me of Robin and the others' faces when she read how Luffy was captured.
Speaking of Berserk, there is a possible collaboration between Dr. Stone and One Piece. I saw Ace and Luffy at Dr. Stone version and it's cool.

Hopefully the next one will cover how are chopper and the gang are doing.
Old 2021-01-15, 16:30   Link #13
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Also I forgot, why doesn’t Law’s hax power work on the stronger characters? Do they have a Resting Haki state?
Good Armament Haki does resist DF powers.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 17:17   Link #14
marvelB

Yep, this battle is indeed kicking off to a great start! Though personally I'd say that Luffy getting grazed by Kaidou's attack despite foreseeing it with his haki (and getting shambled by Law for the following strike) further supports my argument that it's still a bit soon for him to take on the emperor solo. Not that he currently doesn't make for a formidable opponent, of course.... otherwise, Kaidou wouldn't begin to group him with those other legends like Roger, WB, and Rocks. But it's still going to boil down to a collaborative effort between the Worst Generation pirates if they're going to topple these two emperors....

Oh, and I gotta say, I'm loving that robot/armor Kid created for himself! And speaking of robots, I'm actually kinda hoping the next chapter returns focus on Franky vs. Sasaki. Been a good while since the cyborg had a good solo fight! Sure, him running over Big Mom was cool and all, but I crave something more, y'know?
Old 2021-01-15, 18:23   Link #15
grecefar

the battle is on with everything, but even I doubt they can win with only them, I believe drake and hawkins will join in soon too.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 19:22   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

It was actually weird that Law stated he would mess Kaidou up from the inside only to drop some rocks on him.
Old 2021-01-15, 20:39   Link #17
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It was actually weird that Law stated he would mess Kaidou up from the inside only to drop some rocks on him.
kind of going against the theory that law was working for Kaido, it really wasn't explained why Law was in Punk Hazard in the first place, I thought he was working for Kaido to view if Doffy would screw up.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 01:38   Link #18
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Makes me wonder if Luffy’s crew would make such a face when dodging fireballs.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 13:29   Link #19
Zolton

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
kind of going against the theory that law was working for Kaido, it really wasn't explained why Law was in Punk Hazard in the first place, I thought he was working for Kaido to view if Doffy would screw up.
Wasn't Law there to destroy SAD so Doffy couldn't grow any more SMILEs?
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 11:14   Link #20
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolton View Post
Wasn't Law there to destroy SAD so Doffy couldn't grow any more SMILEs?
Yea, since Law was a Warlord at the time, I don't think he had to state his intentions to anyone. That arc, he asked Luffy to help him take down Kaidou.

Thinking about Punk Hazard, it's crazy how OP Law was in that arc. I assume it is some kind of resting Haki with powerful people, because Law could just switch Kaidou and Big Mom's personalities (although it would be wiser to switch them into kids or old people if possible since they're basically the same level of monster lol). But he obviously can't do stuff like that to this level of an opponent.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote