AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-06, 21:21   Link #1
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Interesting article on Anime

An interesting article on anime from the Japan Times.

Kind of ties in with the "Sad State of Anime" thread.

"Exporting animation a huge Japanese success story"

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20040707f1.htm

Quote:
The U.S. market for made-in-Japan animation was estimated at $4.36 billion in 2002, 3.2 times the value of Japanese exports of steel products to the U.S., JETRO said
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 22:06   Link #2

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
An interesting article on anime from the Japan Times.

Kind of ties in with the "Sad State of Anime" thread.

"Exporting animation a huge Japanese success story"

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20040707f1.htm
Cool article. I think it's good that the government is kinda supporting this stuff. Well, if they gain money they'll support ANYTHING. That's about it, but weird!! our ages are backwards!! How cool.....my birthday is in a couple weeks though, so then it'll change.
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 01:21   Link #3
kamij0

This could mean that in near future, most animes are gonna be licensed before they are subbed due to the recognition of anime in the states
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 08:51   Link #4
Aquatic Fox
Anime Addict

Send a message via MSN to Aquatic Fox
Programs like that will mean more anime , but fansubbing will take a hit with the assumed quicker and quicker licensing.
Aquatic Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 09:24   Link #5
Shadowlord
~DESU

2 trillian yen = $1,843,487,840.000000 U.S. thats quite a bit of money made from 1 series, even if it was immensly popular.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 09:55   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Fox
Programs like that will mean more anime , but fansubbing will take a hit with the assumed quicker and quicker licensing.
No it won't. The focus of fansubbing will simply change. You'll end up getting less and less honest "sub only until licenced then buy the DVD's" honest fansub groups in favor of leach groups who will fansub everything regardless if it's licenced or not. Places like AnimeSuki will evolve from an unlicenced anime distribution and community site to purely an anime community site with no downloads for the fans. Fans will then be reliant on places like kazaa, eDonkey, boxtorrents, suprnova, or whatever sites happen to be out there at the time if they wish to continue their "try before you buy" downloading of new anime series. Also, most major Anime sites won't go away either. The only thing that will change in the online anime world is the community dynamic. Socially, fansubs will be reduced to the same level of social taboo as bootlegging and not the wonderful "try before you buy - support the studios" community it is now. Sure, there's fansub leach groups and sites out there now, but that's to be expected. The positive side of this is that honest fansub groups outweigh the leach groups by a factor of 9 to 1 last I checked.

Fansubbing will never go extinct. It will simply change and adapt.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 10:13   Link #7
Aquatic Fox
Anime Addict

Send a message via MSN to Aquatic Fox
What I meant when I said "Take a hit" that places that distribute unlicenced anime will no longer provide downloads, regardless of its adaptation it would still be going more underground and less credible than AS. Since I as a rule refrain from DLing series that are licenced, as some other anime fans do, it would be a "hit" to both the subbers that want to contiune subbing unlicenced series and the fans that would have more trouble getting it. Especially as companies are beginning to sue everything in view.
Aquatic Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 11:02   Link #8
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
Well, i think this is extremly bad for foreigners like myself.

If the series is licensed it will be harder to get, and it takes ages until someone releases it over here in germany. So i would have either get it of the unhonest subbing groups ( but it would be still legal for me i guess, because they are not licensed in germany )... or import the DVD's at a immensly high cost that i most likly couldn't carry... *sigh*

And it will probably sky-high the amount of bootlegged dvds sold over eBay etc.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 11:17   Link #9
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard
Well, i think this is extremly bad for foreigners like myself.

If the series is licensed it will be harder to get, and it takes ages until someone releases it over here in germany. So i would have either get it of the unhonest subbing groups ( but it would be still legal for me i guess, because they are not licensed in germany )... or import the DVD's at a immensly high cost that i most likly couldn't carry... *sigh*

And it will probably sky-high the amount of bootlegged dvds sold over eBay etc.
Das haste halt davon, wenn Du in Deutschland lebst.

We seem to neglect one important fact though: There are positive consequences that come with the rising popularity of animes:
+ more anime will be sold --> anime can be offered cheaper
+ competition between studios--> better VA's and subbers
+ since the USA "dictates" nearly every new trend, other Western countries will follow suit and license animes themselves; I mean it works with music, fashion and movies, why not with anime?

And so on and so on ^_^
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 18:30   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Nein! Es gibt zu viel gutes Bier dort!

Actually, I think that since the biggest source of english subbed anime is america, then like anything that's been banned here, it will simply find a new home in another country and continue perty much unchanged.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 20:22   Link #11
SPINAL-BRAIN
May be a Senior Member

They could have maid more if they were to rectify against the issue of censoring gentiles...God how horrible these models look without their lower body parts in the Sexy Beach 2, wouldn't you agree???
SPINAL-BRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 00:42   Link #12
Phantom Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Nein! Es gibt zu viel gutes Bier dort!

Actually, I think that since the biggest source of english subbed anime is america, then like anything that's been banned here, it will simply find a new home in another country and continue perty much unchanged.
Im thinking maybe if too much anime is liscenced in America the fansubs will change from English subs to maybe German, Dutch, French, or Korean. Since Korea and France does plenty of liscencing themselves it would evolve to German or Dutch. So ppl like me would have to either buy American DVDS (at least i live here) order Krn ones or learn German or Dutch. I dont think German subs would be illegal when only America liscences it.
or u can just learn Japanese.
Phantom Blade is offline   Reply With Quote