AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-29, 12:29   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Suisei no Gargantia - Character Discussion - Bevel

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Bevel related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suisei no Gargantia fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-04-29, 15:18   Link #2
Dark Wing

I don't know why but I have a feeling this poor kid will end up dieing before the show is over...
Old 2013-04-29, 18:40   Link #3
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I really do like this kid. Even though he is sick, has a mature outlook on his situation. Think regardless of how things look out, he will play an important part of Ledo's own character development.
Old 2013-04-29, 19:05   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Bevel's two conversations with Ledo were the highlight of the series so far. He represents a threat to everything Ledo has always assumed to be true, the embodiment of the lack of discipline and resolve in Gargantia that bothers him so much.

In watching the two of them speak, it's interesting to note that though Bevel is a child and Ledo isn't (barely) it's Bevel who seems self-aware and reflective, and Ledo who seems awkward and hesitant (partly because of his halting Japanese, but not exclusively).

It will indeed be interesting to see how Bevel's character evolves - he clearly has a sense that his own life is going to be a short one and has reached some kind of peace with it, though he badly wants to live on. If Ledo's society weren't so focused on war with the Hideauze I might have considered the possibility of an ending where he returns home and takes Bevel with him to be cured, though that's obviously impossible - and given that 100% of the tech in the Galactic Alliance seems to be geared towards military use, it's unlikely Chamber will possess any knowledge or medicine that can help Bevel.
Old 2013-04-30, 09:31   Link #5
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I wonder how much drama they will get out of him before he dies.
Old 2013-05-26, 21:22   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

While Amy has been a fairly superficial construction so far - perfectly pleasant and likeable, but mostly a plot driver - it's in Ledo's interactions with Bevel that Gargantia has achieved its greatest emotional depth. For Ledo Bevel is a reminder of his old world in the most painful way, and also the reason he wants to exterminate the squid now - so that Amy will never have to experience the sacrifices he had to experience as a result of being a species under perpetual threat of extinction. It was quite powerful seeing Bevel not just lift himself from his bed, but to actually run to Ledo's side after he sees what the older boy's planned departure is doing to Amy - while Ledo struggles with being an alien on his own world, Bevel must deal with his inability to be a fully functioning member of society. Both of them, in their own way, feel useless - and because of that I think they understand each other in a way no one else understands either of them.
Old 2013-05-26, 21:31   Link #7
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

It struck me as a big deal how much he disregarded his own health to rush to Ledo when he saw how much his departure was hurting Amy. And I agree that Bevel and Ledo's interactions are just about the strongest aspect of the show. With Chamber providing the GA perspective to Ledo, and Bevel being the Earthling voice, it helps free up Ledo and Amy's interactions to focus on building a more personal relationship.
Old 2013-05-28, 08:40   Link #8
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I agree with all the other posts. Ledo's moments with Bevel and Amy have been the best moments in this series.

Now for all the talk about all his death flags, remember Ozma Lee in Macross Frontier?
Spoiler for macross frontier spoiler:
If Gen really wants to defy our expectations of him with this show, Bevel might survive too.
Old 2013-05-28, 09:39   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Initially I was hopeful that Chamber might have been programmed with some knowledge on how to cure Bevel, but of course curing disease doesn't seem to be a big priority for GA technology. They have their own "cure" for the sick, and it works every time.
Old 2013-05-28, 09:43   Link #10
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Gen really wants to defy our expectations of him with this show, Bevel might survive too.
It would be nice. It may also serve to prove to Ledo that physically unhealthy people are not any less significant; that they can survive and serve their own contributions.
Old 2013-05-28, 10:00   Link #11
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Ledo isn't good at expressing his feelings but I think he respects Bevel, and not just a "human being" or as Amy's brother, he was the only person that he thought that could tell him more about the whalesquids.

Unfortunately Bevel didn'tt know much about that particular subject, but it's interesting the fact that Ledo thinks of him as a useful person when it comes to knowledge.

Old 2013-05-28, 13:36   Link #12
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Ledo isn't good at expressing his feelings but I think he respects Bevel, and not just a "human being" or as Amy's brother, he was the only person that he thought that could tell him more about the whalesquids.
I think I may have said it before on this forum, but I actually loved that little detail, because it stood in such sharp contrast to how Ledo went about his information-gathering early on, and how dismissive he was of the value of meeting Bevel at first. Ledo's questioning was downright brutish, but the fact that he needed answers, and immediately -- and probably without thinking about it -- turned to Bevel suggests that their little heart-to-heart left him with a certain amount of reverence for the boy.
Old 2013-05-28, 23:27   Link #13
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It would be nice. It may also serve to prove to Ledo that physically unhealthy people are not any less significant; that they can survive and serve their own contributions.
I actually, I'm pretty sure he already believes this as of ep 8.
Old 2013-06-30, 21:41   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It seems based on the epilogue that Dr. Ordum may be grooming Bevel to be the next Sage (if he lives long enough).
Old 2013-07-02, 14:00   Link #15
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Spoiler for last episode and macross f:
Closed Thread

Tags
characters