AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-10-26, 13:00   Link #1541
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Can someone explain to me what exactly Levi's appeal is? I get that he's a total badass...which he is....but everytime I see him, all I keep thinking is that he's tiny...and he's kind of a dick
Old 2013-10-26, 13:42   Link #1542
chi4ko
Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Can someone explain to me what exactly Levi's appeal is? I get that he's a total badass...which he is....but everytime I see him, all I keep thinking is that he's tiny...and he's kind of a dick
No other character is shown to have it as bad as Levi. It sucks to be him all the way and the reason why he's my favourite character is that I feel for him the most. His deeply tormented soul, the distraught look on his face when
Spoiler for worse things happen at sea, you know?:
and his twisted sense of elation when he's about to torture the female titan are the most exquisite dishes on my menu. Here, that was a shameless part of my story.
*Coming from a person whose fav in Fate/Zero is Kariya Matou*

Plus he's voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya.

Last edited by chi4ko; 2013-10-26 at 13:51. Reason: kamiyan is god
chi4ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 19:04   Link #1543
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi4ko View Post
No other character is shown to have it as bad as Levi. It sucks to be him all the way and the reason why he's my favourite character is that I feel for him the most. His deeply tormented soul, the distraught look on his face when
Spoiler for worse things happen at sea, you know?:
and his twisted sense of elation when he's about to torture the female titan are the most exquisite dishes on my menu. Here, that was a shameless part of my story.
*Coming from a person whose fav in Fate/Zero is Kariya Matou*

Plus he's voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya.
I didn't get that far with Petra's father yet. Though, even though I know what happens to his squad, I didn't get that far.(A friend accidentally spoiled me)
Old 2013-10-29, 02:43   Link #1544
Friday
Im shy too...

just started to read the Manga version from 34 onwards, just read a few chapters and looking forward to the 2nd season when ever that is.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 00:21   Link #1545
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
My post still stands for Mikasa's character!

He does make solid arguments like the overall pacing and each of the main trio's character development.
Old 2013-10-31, 00:48   Link #1546
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

He does make solid arguments like the overall pacing and each of the main trio's character development.
The one counterpoint on his opinion about pacing would be that any viewer who is just about to watch this show probably won't notice as much pacing issues considering he/she will have all episodes available. Weekly viewing may amplify the pacing issue, but not so much when one has all the episodes at hand. The argument about the character development seems to be subjective as well though the reviewer acknowledges such by mentioning the scope of such development is typical of any shounen series. Out of all the characters, I think Annie, and to an extent Mikasa, have seen the most development. Eren.... not so much since he could hardly come out of the shadows of powerful characters to really establish himself. His personality, demeanor, outlook and etc. pretty much remained the same from episode 1. I won't even acknowledge Armin a main character. Annie had a whole lot more impact as a character in the span of a mere 4-5 episodes than Armin had through out the series.

Anyway, that review was still a good read.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 07:02   Link #1547
s07195
However,

Um, whatever happened to the thread of Episode 24? I can't seem to find it. 0_0

EDIT: Nvm, found it.
Old 2013-12-26, 01:51   Link #1548
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I don't think he's badass. Personally I think he's likable because he's much more mature than some characters in the show, but he does not bother to do the pointless preaching to the less mature but go for the most direct(and seemingly dick-ish) approach instead. Most of the characters who think that they know better than the rest will never pass an opportunity to make a point about that by endlessly talking and lecturing. Levi doesn't strike me as one of those people.

Though this character type is by no means original, but it's still not commonplace and I'd value one when I see it.

And yes as someone mentioned before, the seiyuu.
Achiuakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 08:48   Link #1549
normp571

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The one counterpoint on his opinion about pacing would be that any viewer who is just about to watch this show probably won't notice as much pacing issues considering he/she will have all episodes available. Weekly viewing may amplify the pacing issue, but not so much when one has all the episodes at hand. The argument about the character development seems to be subjective as well though the reviewer acknowledges such by mentioning the scope of such development is typical of any shounen series. Out of all the characters, I think Annie, and to an extent Mikasa, have seen the most development. Eren.... not so much since he could hardly come out of the shadows of powerful characters to really establish himself. His personality, demeanor, outlook and etc. pretty much remained the same from episode 1. I won't even acknowledge Armin a main character. Annie had a whole lot more impact as a character in the span of a mere 4-5 episodes than Armin had through out the series.

Anyway, that review was still a good read.
He was able to deduce the identity of the female titan, and save the life of Jean and many others.
normp571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 06:27   Link #1550
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

KOHAKU UTA GASSEN NOW.

Linked Horizon with the Titan OP!!!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 12:49   Link #1551
LeoXiao
思想工作

This show isn't dark enough. Eren may have lost his mom and home, and the situation may be desperate for mankind, but after awhile the story develops into a somewhat generic "team of nakama goes out to fight monsters". Not that that sort of story is bad, but it undermines the dark atmosphere that the first few episodes of SnK set up.

Mikasa and Armin, as supporting characters to Eren, are IMO the center of this problem. They are actually quite flat. Mikasa's entire person seems to revolve around protecting Eren and kicking Titan ass, but there isn't much more to her that we are shown. Armin is just your run-of-the-mill loyal friend who provides some reason and stabilizing influence in Eren's life. And Eren himself is never truly forced to change because of this stability afforded to him even as the world supposedly goes to hell. The three protagonists being like this really limit the greatness of the show.

Sure, Annie turned out to be hostile, but it's okay — Eren and his nakama will stand strong against her. A potentially debilitating (and thus interesting) psychological conflict for Eren upon knowing that Annie is who she is is rendered stillborn by Mikasa's "don't worry I'm still ur waifu" speech.

Imagine if Annie was just a secondary character and it was Mikasa who turned out to be a hostile shifter for whatever reason (we don't know why Annie does what she does either, will have to wait for S2). Or if Armin decided that venturing outside the walls was a bad idea after all and the best way was simply to "maintain stability" by joining the Military Police, leaving Eren to do his quest alone. That would certainly force Eren to reexamine his situation and himself (probably with no small amount of rage), instead of just get carried along by the power of camaraderie.

What the author did with Levi, Jean, and perhaps Erwin ironically makes them more dynamic as hypothetical main characters — Levi had to sacrifice his underlings, who he presumably cared about, for a plan that didn't even work, and deal with it. Erwin had to go up against the corruption of the government and enigma of the Wallists. No one to help him there. Jean had to rethink his aims and priorities in life, and IIRC didn't get any direct help for it.

It's not that I don't like SnK or think that the three MCs are stupid or bad, it's just that the way the creator has chosen to structure their relationship and character development has resulted in a different story than what the otherwise apprehensive and highly uncertain tone of the series would suggest.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 00:01   Link #1552
LeoXiao
思想工作

To condense the above: Eren's fanatical "I'm gonna become the Final Solution to the Titan Question" attitude would be a lot more interesting (and convincing) if he didn't have the the cozy support of his waifu and genius friend. The show should be trying to make this into a bildungsroman of sorts for Eren, but the "bildungs" part of it doesn't quite match up to what is being advertised.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 23:01   Link #1553
solomon

Just picked up the show, blasted through 10 eps in 2 days.

Man am I sad I didn't get on the bandwagon with everyone else sooner, now I'm all late.

Gotta say though, a TAD surprised just how popular this thing is. Not that it has a fanbase so much, more so that it's a bonafide HIT in Japan where such intense stuff doesn't seem to normally top the charts.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 10:14   Link #1554
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Attack on Titan Subaru ad.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Man was that creepy and awesome.
Old 2014-01-24, 16:01   Link #1555
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Attack on Titan Subaru ad.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Man was that creepy and awesome.
I'm sorry, I can't ear you over the sound of how insanely AWESOME that commercial is.
Old 2014-01-26, 17:18   Link #1556
chi4ko
Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
This show isn't dark enough. Eren may have lost his mom and home, and the situation may be desperate for mankind, but after awhile the story develops into a somewhat generic "team of nakama goes out to fight monsters". Not that that sort of story is bad, but it undermines the dark atmosphere that the first few episodes of SnK set up.
Mikasa and Armin, as supporting characters to Eren, are IMO the center of this problem. They are actually quite flat. Mikasa's entire person seems to revolve around protecting Eren and kicking Titan ass, but there isn't much more to her that we are shown. Armin is just your run-of-the-mill loyal friend who provides some reason and stabilizing influence in Eren's life. And Eren himself is never truly forced to change because of this stability afforded to him even as the world supposedly goes to hell. The three protagonists being like this really limit the greatness of the show.
Sure, Annie turned out to be hostile, but it's okay — Eren and his nakama will stand strong against her. A potentially debilitating (and thus interesting) psychological conflict for Eren upon knowing that Annie is who she is is rendered stillborn by Mikasa's "don't worry I'm still ur waifu" speech.
Imagine if Annie was just a secondary character and it was Mikasa who turned out to be a hostile shifter for whatever reason (we don't know why Annie does what she does either, will have to wait for S2). Or if Armin decided that venturing outside the walls was a bad idea after all and the best way was simply to "maintain stability" by joining the Military Police, leaving Eren to do his quest alone. That would certainly force Eren to reexamine his situation and himself (probably with no small amount of rage), instead of just get carried along by the power of camaraderie.
What the author did with Levi, Jean, and perhaps Erwin ironically makes them more dynamic as hypothetical main characters — Levi had to sacrifice his underlings, who he presumably cared about, for a plan that didn't even work, and deal with it. Erwin had to go up against the corruption of the government and enigma of the Wallists. No one to help him there. Jean had to rethink his aims and priorities in life, and IIRC didn't get any direct help for it.
It's not that I don't like SnK or think that the three MCs are stupid or bad, it's just that the way the creator has chosen to structure their relationship and character development has resulted in a different story than what the otherwise apprehensive and highly uncertain tone of the series would suggest.
I don't really think SnK stops being dark at any point, and especially not after the failed attempt to capture the Female Titan.

Yeah, I guess the characters of Armin and Mikasa got the shounen-ish treatment of the secondary mains which made them kind of...not dynamic. You know the stuff, always stand by the MC and support him, little personality development etc. I really hope Isayama will make them evolve over the course of the manga. Don't forget SnK runs in a shounen magazine, MC's 2 faithful friends can never betray him, this (sadly) would be a big no-no.

I wouldn't say that Eren is in a position too comfy to undergo change.
Spoiler for spoiler:
surely had an impact on Eren and his way of thinking.
Old 2014-01-26, 23:54   Link #1557
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

After seeing that Subaru commercial I now really really! wish they'd make AoT into a live-action movie. Hollywood would probably have the finances to really pull off the special effects.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 12:55   Link #1558
chi4ko
Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
After seeing that Subaru commercial I now really really! wish they'd make AoT into a live-action movie. Hollywood would probably have the finances to really pull off the special effects.
Wishful thinking! Was there even a single case when Hollywood did not mess up a manga adaptation?
Old 2014-02-02, 00:27   Link #1559
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi4ko View Post
Wishful thinking! Was there even a single case when Hollywood did not mess up a manga adaptation?
I think it's because they don't take it seriously enough. Give it to a good director and I'm sure it can work. Sadly though Hollywood will probably end up destroying the plot by going the wrong route. Nevertheless, they're still probably the only ones with enough money to pull off a good CGI.

But it'll be hard to put all of AoT series into a meaningful 2.5 hours movie anyway.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 22:53   Link #1560
Fako Milif

Something that bugs me about the first Opening...

is how they portray the soldiers during the last segment of the opening, there we see hundreds of soldiers with straight faces appearing out of nowhere and throwing themselves at the titans, while in the series, everyone except for the main and secondary characters, shits their pants if they even see a titan

Fako Milif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence