AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-03-10, 14:55   Link #21
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
A case can probably be made that the original Evangelion series, along with the cyberpunk anime of the 1990s, could be postmodern, in that they reflected one form of "dissonance" with modern society that contemporary audiences felt.

But I think it'll be as much a stretch to consider Metal Gear Solid 2 postmodern as was my attempt with The Rolling Girls. Postmodern features — or "tropes", if you prefer — can be found, if you want to find it. But I think both titles were created with the main objective of entertaining people, rather than making a big statement, unlike say, Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

Anyway, here's the relevant quote from the article you originally linked:

In other words, with regard to Japanese pop culture, it has become difficult to differentiate the fad from the theory.

If you're really interested in the artistic movement known as postmodernism, you'd probably be better served looking elsewhere rather than otaku culture.
You are have a point about that as I am beginning that there is more (or little) to postmodernism than simply subverting a few tropes and just plain being pretentious with dialogue. I am not sure Metal Gear Solid 2 but while Evangelion may not have a real message, its message of 'take care of yourself' and about 'how relationships are hard but we all have to deal with it' is real too me. Akira and Ghost in the Shell are postmodern however the references to political and sociological phenomenon got lost until later in life. That is what I get for watching those shows in Encore and Adult Swim respectively. Still, I am gonna study more on this topic.