Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2016-01-03, 14:14   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Forum-wide announcement for community activity

I proposed that admin should make forum wide announcement every time we make activity that should involved with whole forum member.

For example Animesuki Anime of The year and Banner contest.

This way we can promote the activity at same time we can make member feel that they are part of larger community.

At same time I proposed that we should have more activity in the forum. Something like scavenge hunt or best signature competition. Just something to lively the forum up

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-03, 19:03   Link #2
relentlessflame

*Administrator

So far we have only promoted activities run directly by (or in conjunction with) the staff. The reason is because, otherwise, there's no easy way to choose which activities get promoted and which ones don't without being perceived as playing favorites. I'm not saying there's no way we'd ever do it, but we'd need to come up with a way of doing it that was fair to everyone.

When we do Banner Contests, we do announce them, but we haven't had one for a little while. (I hope we will have one this year...)

I don't really have any comments about a Scavenger Hunt (I was never personally involved in it in the past), but I can't help but imagine all the "drama" a Best Signature competition could cause. I realize these are only suggested ideas, though, and I do take the point about wanting to have more community-wide activities. I personally may not be the best person to do it, but hopefully the other staff can also review and think about it.
Old 2016-01-03, 20:46   Link #3
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I dont see there is a problem for moderator to help the activity provided

1) The give the staff a proposal that include committee member, activity description, duration, etc.
2) everyone in the forum can join.

I let staff to decide the inner detail of which activity that they will support. I dont think someone will make fuss about "Why you support xxx idea but not me!" provided staff have solid reason.

the Keypoint is that staff should involved more to forum activities and try to promote it to everyone in the forum. Just like what Nightwish do with scavenge hunt. Staff feel to busy to deal with it. I guess time to hire more staff

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-04, 01:46   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So far we have only promoted activities run directly by (or in conjunction with) the staff. The reason is because, otherwise, there's no easy way to choose which activities get promoted and which ones don't without being perceived as playing favorites. I'm not saying there's no way we'd ever do it, but we'd need to come up with a way of doing it that was fair to everyone.
Are we finally going to see the long-promised announcement in support of the Choice Awards this year, relentless? I actually expected that's what RRW's post was asking for when I saw the title pop up in my CP. Every year we have this discussion. The Awards have been running for nearly as long as I have been here. Participation has fallen in recent years because of the lack of publicity. I don't think anyone would regard running an announcement for something that has by now become an institution "playing favorites."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-04, 03:17   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are we finally going to see the long-promised announcement in support of the Choice Awards this year, relentless? I actually expected that's what RRW's post was asking for when I saw the title pop up in my CP. Every year we have this discussion. The Awards have been running for nearly as long as I have been here. Participation has fallen in recent years because of the lack of publicity. I don't think anyone would regard running an announcement for something that has by now become an institution "playing favorites."
Sorry. If I ever gave the impression that support was "promised", it wasn't what I intended. Ideas were considered of how things might be integrated and thus not require the system it used, but it didn't happen.

We will discuss this among the staff, but the stated policy is what we have at this time.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-04, 15:09   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think you should be happy with all the effort invested by Haak, Felix and the rest of the Choice Awards staff and worry less about "how things might be integrated." The system now works well. Just endorse it already.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-04, 16:49   Link #7
Dextro
He Without a Title

If you don't mind I'll just drop by to support SeijiSensei in asking for a bit of promotion of the Choice Awards. Discoverability has really been a issue with them so lost in the General Anime Forum which seems to be a place where apparently less and less people are going nowadays.
Old 2016-01-04, 21:33   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think you should be happy with all the effort invested by Haak, Felix and the rest of the Choice Awards staff and worry less about "how things might be integrated." The system now works well. Just endorse it already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
If you don't mind I'll just drop by to support SeijiSensei in asking for a bit of promotion of the Choice Awards. Discoverability has really been a issue with them so lost in the General Anime Forum which seems to be a place where apparently less and less people are going nowadays.
Why aren't you guys and all the organizers promoting the contest in your own signatures at least? I looked in the nomination thread, and not a single person in the whole thread even mentions it. If everyone who believes in the event would do a concerted effort to promote it in their signatures and continue to post around the forum as normal, that would probably do a lot more to raise visibility than a system announcement would. Could even do an signature image of the show you voted for and be like "I nominated <x> in the AnimeSuki Choice Awards. What's your vote?" (or similar copy) and link to it. Or maybe someone could come up with a common banner image that everyone shares.

I realize you're saying you want the staff to promote it, but like I said, that's not going to happen unless/until there's a change in policy, and so it isn't going to happen right now. So there's at least something everyone can easily do right now to raise the profile of this (and any other) event.

For now I updated my own signature to help a little bit, and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Old 2016-01-07, 05:00   Link #9
EroKing

Anyone wanting to use my current sig to promote the thread can do so.

And don't forget to vote for Illya for best female lead!

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-26 at 11:38.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 09:46   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So far we have only promoted activities run directly by (or in conjunction with) the staff.
Well, AS Moderator Konakaga is one of the people also helping to run the AS Choice Awards.

It's admittedly slim, but maybe that alone is enough to say that this activity is being "run in conjunction with the staff"?

Also, I doubt Haak would object to having more AS Moderators join the AS Choice Awards social group/team, particularly if that would help the AS Choice Awards get promoted more.

You make a good point on sigs, in any event. I'll probably try to get my own changed soon to support the AS Choice Awards.
Old 2016-01-07, 12:10   Link #11
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, AS Moderator Konakaga is one of the people also helping to run the AS Choice Awards.

It's admittedly slim, but maybe that alone is enough to say that this activity is being "run in conjunction with the staff"?
That's like saying the SOTM was official because I became a mod while it was running.
Old 2016-01-07, 13:47   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
That's like saying the SOTM was official because I became a mod while it was running.
Well, Konakaga joined the AS Choice Awards team after becoming a moderator.

What's the SOTM, by the way?
Old 2016-01-07, 13:58   Link #13
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I wasn't aware AS is a democracy. Who cares if mods are perceived as playing favoritism, you guys are running the site , not us. Endorse what you damn please lol.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote