AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-07, 05:39   Link #1
Shinigami00

Help finding right anime

Hi everyone! I need help finding a good anime series worth watching. My type of anime would preferably be based on a visual novel, and be aimed at adult audiences. I like fantasy like stories, like Utawarerumono. I enjoy drama, romance, historic novels, alternate universe stories, post apocalyptic worlds, cyberpunk, comedy, fighting, inspirational themes, good dialogues, complex character work, and solid plots.

My top anime list would be:
  1. Rurouni Kenshin
  2. Dragon ball Z
  3. Hajime no Ippo
  4. Full Metal Alchmist (1at series)
  5. Death Note
  6. Utawarerumono
  7. School Rumble

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Completed series are preferable, although I'm opened to ongoing series too.

Thanks.
Old 2010-07-07, 06:28   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If you like Utawarerumono, then you should check out Tears to Tiara. It's by the same team as Uta. Both source materials are also games by Leaf.

As for Fullmetal Alchemist, how about checking out Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? It's a full on adaptation of the manga, where the first series was just about 30% of the manga material.
Old 2010-07-07, 06:44   Link #3
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Take a look at Code Geass or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Code Geass is Death Note mixed with Mecha, if you will, in an alternate universe of this world.
Ghost in the Shell is one of the best cyberpunk stories that I have ever seen.
Old 2010-07-07, 07:03   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I like fantasy like stories, like Utawarerumono. I enjoy drama, romance, historic novels, alternate universe stories, post apocalyptic worlds, cyberpunk, comedy, fighting, inspirational themes, good dialogues, complex character work, and solid plots.
Based on these preferences, I'm going to suggest giving Oh! Edo Rocket a try. It's an "alternate history" satire set in Edo in 1843-44 that's based on stage play by Nakashima Kazuki, the author of Gurren Lagaan.

Two other series to consider are Ergo Proxy, a post-apocalyptic thriller, and Noein, a story about multiple universes based very loosely on some well-known anomalies in quantum theory.
Old 2010-07-07, 16:12   Link #5
Divini
Senpai!

Try:
Higurashi no Naku no Koro ni
Clannad
Fate/Stay Night

Based on visual novels, very solid plot and characters, great anime adaptation
Old 2010-07-07, 18:18   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Definitely Seirei no Moribito. It's got fantasy, alternate universe, fighting, inspiration, fantastic dialogue, unbelievably complex character work and a great plot.

As you liked School Rumble, I would also try Natsu no Arashi, by the same author. It has some history, good dialogue and characters, and a even a little romance. It's fantastical elements are really more sci-fi than fantasy, but if you don't mind that I'd give it a watch.
Old 2010-07-07, 19:38   Link #7
Mafuyu
Disabled By Request

Darker than Black First Season for solid plot and good fights. There is so much going on and various factions vying for control that I often need a little note card to remind me of who is in what group.

My second suggestion would be Kara No Kyoukai, the mystery elements and concepts that show up in these movies can be rather complex and I found it rather enjoyable to watch.
Old 2010-07-07, 21:21   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If you like Moribito, I suggest you try Erin (same author) or Twelve Kingdoms (patience will be rewarded). Enzo would probably agree you might like Ghost Hound.
Old 2010-07-07, 23:23   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If you like Moribito, I suggest you try Erin (same author) or Twelve Kingdoms (patience will be rewarded). Enzo would probably agree you might like Ghost Hound.
Indeed he would. And your suggestion of Noein is an excellent fit as well.
Old 2010-07-07, 23:51   Link #10
Shinigami00

Hi guys! I'm so grateful for all of your suggestions, which I have carefully examined. I think I'll go for Seirei no Moribito, although Twelve Kingdoms seems tempting too! Thanks again!

Ergo Proxi seems like another one I would most likely watch later on.
Old 2010-07-08, 17:13   Link #11
Animelover#1
Kouta...

Then I reccomend Bleach
Zero No Tsukaima
and Shakugan No Shana
Old 2010-07-08, 20:38   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami00 View Post
Hi everyone! I need help finding a good anime series worth watching. My type of anime would preferably be based on a visual novel, and be aimed at adult audiences. I like fantasy like stories, like Utawarerumono. I enjoy drama, romance, historic novels, alternate universe stories, post apocalyptic worlds, cyberpunk, comedy, fighting, inspirational themes, good dialogues, complex character work, and solid plots.

My top anime list would be:
  1. Rurouni Kenshin
  2. Dragon ball Z
  3. Hajime no Ippo
  4. Full Metal Alchmist (1at series)
  5. Death Note
  6. Utawarerumono
  7. School Rumble

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Completed series are preferable, although I'm opened to ongoing series too.

Thanks.
I would suggest:

Katanagatari - semi-historical martial arts drama with romance
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Watch up to the Lust vs Mustang fight before deciding if you should continue watching. (First 16 episodes or so follow the first series with small differences- after that it gets even better).
Crest of the Stars
Full Metal Panic
Neon Genesis Evangelion

If you want visual novel, then CLANNAD is the only one I can think of.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-09, 01:28   Link #13
Shinigami00

By the way, I watched FMA Brotherhood already! Didnt like it! 1st series was more enjoyable!
Closed Thread