AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-01-27, 04:17   Link #41
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Depends who you ask. Some say 70s, some say 80s. I personally think anyone who thought there ever was a golden age is looking at the past with rose tinted glasses. All periods have gold and crap, and the ratio generally fluctuates around an approximate constant.
Okay, didn't know that. Ah well it seems my comment spawned an off topic discussion, sorry about that.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 04:55   Link #42
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Big eyes. Don't know why, but it gives a character a much more tangible personality IMO.
I guess KyoAni is more into this lately...
Old 2008-01-27, 10:10   Link #43
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I tend to favor more angular eyes than just big round ones.

Just to name a few:

Gin sama(RM), Shinra(Kimiaru), kyou(Clannad), kagami(LS).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 15:59   Link #44
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Big eyes. Don't know why, but it gives a character a much more tangible personality IMO.
I guess KyoAni is more into this lately...
I could swear eyes were biggest in the 90's. That's were anime became known in the west more as "That artstyle with girls that have saucer like eyes". There was even a tabletop anime themed RPG called Big Eyes Small Mouth.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 03:30   Link #45
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon
Some one had said that Noitamina has prompted the creation of shows somewhat outside the normal otaku realm of consumption. It's not impossible but I doubt theres any real correlation. After all, I think the big rise in shows made primarily for an otaku audience started in the 80s (particularly with niche OVAs) and really hit paydirt in the mid 90s on (OVA production went down, late night tv became otaku time).
Noitamina is new enough that I don't think that there's any direct correlation between the two. However, what it does is prove that there's a commercially-viable alternate audience out there. Where this'll make a difference is whether an offbeat show will get a green light for production or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon
I also agree that based off what i've seen and read in the history books, that the golden age of anime is probably NOW as opposed to the 80s. There just so much more inventiveness and diverse genres in both general and otaku anime circles. That's one thing that Japan has over us, even though it's really due to their manga culture.
That's pretty much it. While there are quite a few good titles in the late-70's and 80's, these works are outnumbered, both in terms of number and of diversity, by the current crop. The overall percentage of quality works to mediocre ones may have arguably fallen between then and now, but there's so much more out there that it shouldn't matter a whole lot. The only exception would be OVA works, but I don't think that that's a great loss.
Old 2008-01-28, 06:12   Link #46
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I could swear eyes were biggest in the 90's. That's were anime became known in the west more as "That artstyle with girls that have saucer like eyes". There was even a tabletop anime themed RPG called Big Eyes Small Mouth.
Now if I'm not mistaken back then they were more wide then big. Meaning the eye was large but the pupil was pretty small. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@Dethie: My favorite as well. I don't watch a lot of shows where round dominates so basically the angled version is what I was thinking of when I posted.
Old 2008-01-28, 06:15   Link #47
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Now if I'm not mistaken back then they were more wide then big. Meaning the eye was large but the pupil was pretty small. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@Dethie: My favorite as well. I don't watch a lot of shows where round dominates so basically the angled version is what I was thinking of when I posted.
Ranma 1/2 characters has big saucer eyes.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 08:52   Link #48
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Noitamina is new enough that I don't think that there's any direct correlation between the two. However, what it does is prove that there's a commercially-viable alternate audience out there. Where this'll make a difference is whether an offbeat show will get a green light for production or not.
4Tran's observation is really what motivated me to ask the question about Noitamina's influence in the first place. It's not that I think producers are trying to duplicate Noitamina, but that the financial success of Noitamina shows may give someone trying to sell a non-mainstream idea more leverage in negotiations with the studios and production companies.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 01:11   Link #49
StriderZ

Hmm.. The best trend now might be that the antagonist is extremely powerful. Unlike in the past where antagonists get defeated easily. Now the antagonist pwns the main characters. lol
StriderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 16:07   Link #50
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Best trend in my (quite heavily biased) opinion?

Childhood friends archetype is still going quite strong in anime. Last year alone they appeared in 20 some odd shows, and so far their win:loss ratio is around 60:40 so far last year (I'm waiting on 2 more shows). While yes, it's down from the 70:30 average from 2000-2006, at least 2006 was spectacular now that it 's basically 75:25. As it is, 2000-2007 is 68/97 'wins/loss' record for the childhood friend archetype, with 2 more shows pending.

For the record (changes/additions/corrections are welcome as always):
Spoiler for Childhood friends in anime 2000-2006, with X marks as a loss, considered yourself warned as most of them are considered spoilers:
Spoiler for 2007 additions, 14/23 with 2 shows pending:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by DragoonKain3; 2008-02-01 at 02:27. Reason: forgot to add happiness
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 16:46   Link #51
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Best trend in my (quite heavily biased) opinion?

Childhood friends archetype is still going quite strong in anime. Last year alone they appeared in 20 some odd shows, and so far their win:loss ratio is around 60:40 so far last year (I'm waiting on 2 more shows). While yes, it's down from the 70:30 average from 2000-2006, at least 2006 was spectacular now that it 's basically 75:25. As it is, 2000-2007 is 67/97 'wins/loss' record for the childhood friend archetype, with 2 more shows pending.[/spoiler]
While I don't know the reason behind it, your osananajimi fixation never fails to make me laugh .

I sympathize about half the time though, so keep it up .
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 01:11   Link #52
Autumn Demon
~

haven't thought about the best, but the funniest trend in anime i've seen is characters trying to speak English. i in no way think it's bad when people misspeak English (i'm learning Japanese and can't speak it well at all yet), but i can't help but uncontrollably crack up in laughter when i hear English in anime. often in school-life anime when i hear characters reading English aloud for class i can't even tell that it's English. it's even hilarious when they have native English speakers in anime but who completely speak English in an over-exaggerated, comical way, like in kasimasi ep1.
(btw i'm only talking about original Japanese audio, not dubs)

ichigo mashimaro inspired me to post about this. i almost fell off my chair from laughter from hearing the characters trying to speak english.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 03:49   Link #53
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I like the big eyes too.

Over the years, eyes have been getting bigger and bigger and bodies have been getting smaller and smaller. Consider, for example, Manabi Straight, with perhaps 5-pound eyes on 50-pound "high-school student" bodies, or the various Key characters - which when I first saw them in maybe 2001, seemed to have humongous eyes, but they now seem mainstream! And Digi Charat, a noble pioneer of the trend - not only did they have eye lasers, but Puchiko's body could fit inside either of her eyes! Now compare them to the contorted characters of the 70s, that practically looked... human. Anime head technology - how much brain they can cram in the base of the skull, leaving the rest of the space for immense, beautiful eyes - is improving even faster than computer ships are shrinking. A modern anime character with one eye closed can still have more eye surface area than than Pai from 3x3 eyes, with all eyes open.

I am both scared and excited by the ultimate destination of this trend. How much of an anime character, by mass, can be eyeball before they start looking *worse*, not *better*? I look forward to the day when some mad genius of an artist produces an anime character with an eye bigger than the entire character itself!
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 13:42   Link #54
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry
I look forward to the day when some mad genius of an artist produces an anime character with an eye bigger than the entire character itself!
Hakaba Kitaro comes close to granting your wish; take a look at Kitaro's father
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 14:39   Link #55
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
From what I've personally seen, and watched, come down the anime pipe in recent years, anime seems to be trending towards serious, complex, heartfelt, and somewhat realistic romances, and away from shallow, slapstick comedy-esque, "romances".

Bleach, the Nanoha series', Shakugan no Shana, Busou Renkin, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and a few other recent anime titles have very few, if any, of the "guy accidentally stumbles upon actual/desired girlfriend in a compromising situation, and gets pummeled for it" physical comedy that was simply done to death in harem anime in general, and in Love Hina! in particular. Honestly, Love Hina! has probably ruined the humour in that sort of scene forever for me - it was just painfully overused.

It's a relief to see more realistic, serious, and heartfelt romance in pairings like Shana/Yuji, Yoshida/Yuji, Haruhi/Kyon, Kazuki/Tokiko, Ichigo/Rukia, Ichigo/Orohime, Erio/Caro, arguably Nanoha/Fate, and several others.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 15:53   Link #56
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I am both scared and excited by the ultimate destination of this trend. How much of an anime character, by mass, can be eyeball before they start looking *worse*, not *better*? I look forward to the day when some mad genius of an artist produces an anime character with an eye bigger than the entire character itself!
Chibies come pretty damn close these days!?
Old 2008-02-02, 18:10   Link #57
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hakaba Kitaro comes close to granting your wish; take a look at Kitaro's father

I guess anime characters really need the anime hair to be truly cute Even if it's just an eyelash comb-over!
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote