4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-31, 20:54   Link #141
Zetsubo
著述遮断

I like that.... Superman and Batgirl ... makes PERFECT sense.

That means Hanekawa would be ??
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 20:56   Link #142
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Alfred, clearly.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 21:00   Link #143
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Do anyone notice that Araragi is calling Kanbaru "Kanbaru~san" at the end of episode 8?
Why??
To avoid the wrath of Senjougahara??
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 21:09   Link #144
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Do anyone notice that Araragi is calling Kanbaru "Kanbaru~san" at the end of episode 8?
Why??
obviously.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 21:09   Link #145
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Why??
I think he was just confused and dumbfounded to find her outside his house.

Oh, and his sisters are hilarious as ever, not to mention cute.
Old 2009-08-31, 21:20   Link #146
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Why??
He does it when he is sarcastic or mock-serious. He did the same when he asked if she really wasn't wearing underwear under her tights.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 21:36   Link #147
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
I like that.... Superman and Batgirl ... makes PERFECT sense.
Yep, that's definitely how I see them too, personality-wise.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Alfred, clearly.
Bingo!
Old 2009-09-01, 00:07   Link #148
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
She's pissed.

And, frankly, she has every right to be.

Araragi didn't trust her; he lied to her, and he willingly put himself into a vicious potentially lethal meat-grinder with out even notifying her first.
I'd say Araragi trusted Senjougahara. Okay, maybe it's more accurate to say that he trusted she'd kill painfully anyone who would dare to attack her boyfriend like that.

You're right though, Hitagi's rightfully pissed.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 00:24   Link #149
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
When you factor both of these together, Hitagi's actions make sense and are in-character.
Ice Queen, methinks fits better

Quote:
Perhaps it's fitting then that Hitagi has Batman-esque unshakable calm and cleverness.
Since we are at Batman ... does Tsubasa fit Robin's role.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 01:34   Link #150
zato_1one

Quote:
I don't like Bleach-level insane damage soak (as Araragi displayed here).
Bleach is nowhere near this level of insanity. AFAIK, no intestine is shown in Bleach.
Old 2009-09-01, 05:05   Link #151
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Damn this was a pretty messy episode. Araragi powers up a little and ends up being swung by his intestines....Not sure if it snapping was a good thing or a bad thing. At least he stopped flying around by his internal organs. Still impressed that he managed to survive and be alright the next day. At the same time it must be a nightmare to clean his clothes with all the blood that was covering them.

I thought Senjougahara would be upset about Araragi not telling her what was going on and breaking their promise. Good thing Oshino made the call and got Senjougahara there. The timing was perfect.

In the end the situation was resolved. Of course Kanbaru picks up a side effect of the whole thing. Like Araragi having his super healing, Kanbaru will have some great arm power. Wonder if Senjougahara plans on using Kanbaru like a bodyguard for Araragi? He may have the ability to survive just about anything, but he does willingly walk into dangerous situations.

Even after things were cleared up couldn't bring myself to really dislike Kanbaru. It's true that many get those dark desires now and then. Can remember a few times I'd have loved something bad to happen to classmates I really hated. Glad there wasn't a rainy devil in the picture . It's fine now anyways. Araragi is still kicking and Kanbaru's soul is still hers.
Old 2009-09-01, 08:40   Link #152
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
When you factor both of these together, Hitagi's actions make sense and are in-character.
I actually found Senjougahara's actions and tirade at the end to be almost sweet and romantic. She berated him for always taking the path where he suffers, and recognizes that he'd do it even without his vampyric powers, yet she immediately turns around and recognizes that as one of the reasons she admires him.

Her actions show concern for him, and a very practical focus on saving his life be stopping the devil. What she doesn't show is horror at the gore or deformity of the monkey arm.

Quote:
Araragi is incredibly self-sacrificing/idealistic in his desire to help others. He takes it to an extreme that I don't know if I've ever seen in anime/manga before. The closest analogy in all of fiction that I can think of, honestly, is Superman...
Yet there's something that does seem damaged about him. I hope the series takes the time to develop him out of a purely sacrifical lamb phase and into something more active. Oddly he's now reminding me of a well done version of OZ in Pandora Hearts, a character who is accused of having the same character flaws, but is really not developed with the same nuance.
Old 2009-09-01, 10:01   Link #153
Woland
Latin Rascal

Sorry to lower the level of the discussion but even if stupid there's a question that is bothering me... Does Tsukihi cut her hair? (seem a lot shorter to me, and indeed cuter) I'm seeing all sort of hidden meaning in this

Last edited by Woland; 2009-09-01 at 10:18.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 11:40   Link #154
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
I actually found Senjougahara's actions and tirade at the end to be almost sweet and romantic. She berated him for always taking the path where he suffers, and recognizes that he'd do it even without his vampyric powers, yet she immediately turns around and recognizes that as one of the reasons she admires him.

Her actions show concern for him, and a very practical focus on saving his life be stopping the devil. What she doesn't show is horror at the gore or deformity of the monkey arm.
Yes, I see what you're saying here. I also felt that she softened on Araragi pretty fast, and quickly became fairly sweet to him.

She's not truly cold to Araragi at all; it's just that she's unflappable. It's not quite the same thing.

Quote:
Yet there's something that does seem damaged about him. I hope the series takes the time to develop him out of a purely sacrifical lamb phase and into something more active. Oddly he's now reminding me of a well done version of OZ in Pandora Hearts, a character who is accused of having the same character flaws, but is really not developed with the same nuance.
I agree that there's something a bit... off about Araragi. It's difficult to put into words, but it's probably somehow related to his sacrificial lamb phase. But then, that's a lot of what makes him interesting, so I'm fine with it, at least for now.
Old 2009-09-01, 11:48   Link #155
zato_1one

Quote:
I agree that there's something a bit... off about Araragi. It's difficult to put into words, but it's probably somehow related to his sacrificial lamb phase. But then, that's a lot of what makes him interesting, so I'm fine with it, at least for now.
It would be pretty interesting to see more of his background. I hope that it will be more revealed in upcoming episode. Or else we can only hope that Shaft will do Koyomi Vamp after this series.
Old 2009-09-01, 12:05   Link #156
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Alfred, clearly.

I loved the episode, 10 Senjougahara saved the day

I also loved what Koyomi said about Oshino:

"You... Even compared to the devil, you're such a magnificent bastard."

I like Oshino's character a lot too. At first if I didn't know he's fighting in the good side, I would think he has the look of a bad guy. But he is stronger than the devil Sakurai does a great work in Voice Acting him

Loved this episode.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 12:24   Link #157
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
I also loved what Koyomi said about Oshino:

"You... Even compared to the devil, you're such a magnificent bastard."
Ah yes, Oshino Meme, the man who interprets oddities and gives them meaning that eludes all others. He's definitely an enigma of his own, and a potentially dangerous one too. His theme music describes his personality very well, I feel.

Personally, I'm curious who he fought with in the fast-forward flashback shown in Ep1. He was depicted carrying a huge upside-down crucifix (suggesting what, I wonder? That he's the anti-Christ? More accurately, though, that's the Cross of St Peter he wears as earrings), facing down a sinister, cloaked figure, with poor Araragi caught in the middle.

Novel readers may know, but I don't need to get the answer right now. Maybe after the anime is over, I'll try to find out more.

More importantly, I'm still clueless as to the significance of the "rainy devil". I'm not particularly sure how it is related to Kanbaru's monkey paw, or to her situation. There is supposedly something about Kanbaru's personality or household that is associated with water, or Senjougahara wouldn't have alluded to it in Ep6 ("water above, fire below"). Or perhaps she's suggesting that Kanbaru is hiding a burning hatred under her surface calm?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:02   Link #158
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ah yes, Oshino Meme, the man who interprets oddities and gives them meaning that eludes all others. He's definitely an enigma of his own, and a potentially dangerous one too. His theme music describes his personality very well, I feel.

Personally, I'm curious who he fought with in the fast-forward flashback shown in Ep1. He was depicted carrying a huge upside-down crucifix (suggesting what, I wonder? That he's the anti-Christ? More accurately, though, that's the Cross of St Peter he wears as earrings), facing down a sinister, cloaked figure, with poor Araragi caught in the middle.

Novel readers may know, but I don't need to get the answer right now. Maybe after the anime is over, I'll try to find out more.

More importantly, I'm still clueless as to the significance of the "rainy devil". I'm not particularly sure how it is related to Kanbaru's monkey paw, or to her situation. There is supposedly something about Kanbaru's personality or household that is associated with water, or Senjougahara wouldn't have alluded to it in Ep6 ("water above, fire below"). Or perhaps she's suggesting that Kanbaru is hiding a burning hatred under her surface calm?
The clip shown in the beginning ep is from Kizumonogatari so you won't find the answer in this season.

The monkey's paw was just Kanbaru's mistaken interpretation of her Kaii. She found it when she was in grade school if I remember right. The anime left out the comprehensive explanation.
Spoiler for explaination of rainy devil:

Hitagi's joke about the flood and fire just meant that she was planning to set fire to Kanbaru's house and I guess the flood is from the firefighters raining water onto it.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 13:07   Link #159
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
The monkey's paw was just Kanbaru's mistaken interpretation of her Kaii. She found it when she was in grade school if I remember right. The anime left out the comprehensive explanation.
Spoiler for explaination of rainy devil:
That was also explained in anime but through those Japanese texts.
Old 2009-09-01, 13:10   Link #160
Xacual

Nah I think you are mixed up. A monkey paw would try to grant the wishes in an evil way. The Rainy devil which she had is a contract where it grants your 3 wishes and then it gets your soul. Despite what she said she wished for, she was covering up the truth that she really wished for Koyomi to die so her and Hitagi could be together instead. Same with the scene in the past.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote