AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-17, 08:04   Link #581
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
If there's no record of it, how come the narrator remembers?
Space Dandy's narrator has always been a third person omniscient narrator. Knowing everything is the very definition of omniscient. Whether there's a record of the event doesn't matter. The narrator knows because he has a god-tier level of knowledge.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-17, 09:25   Link #582
ReddyRedWolf

I can see why the little book used Dr. Gel to think.

QT has data of other universes but lacks the necessary processing power.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

All this temporal and inter-dimensional hijinks around Dandy may not be coincidence.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-17, 16:03   Link #583
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I assume it's the control of the book.
Personally, I felt it was supposed to symbolize the erasure of memories that most of the cast had of the events pertaining to Dandy and his crew getting their hands on the book (from the initial planning of the heist to steal it to Scarlett opening the box), with the color returning to Dandy and his crew once they learned the cause of their memory loss (and the details of the situation that they have memory of).
Old 2014-03-17, 20:06   Link #584
solomon

And what did we learn this week kiddies?

That the all encompassing truth and secret of the universe is.....................

BOOBS.

(obviously)

solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 01:10   Link #585
MCAL

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-july-in-japan Space Dandy's second cour will be airing in July. So we'll be having two Watanabe anime at the same time. Banzai!
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 09:06   Link #586
ellifeedn
Thinker

Wait, July of this year?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 09:47   Link #587
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Wait, July of this year?
That would be the case.
Old 2014-03-22, 10:57   Link #588
bastek66

I'm confused. It's gonna be 2 more episodes and season pause till July or 26 till end of June and then another season?
Old 2014-03-22, 11:07   Link #589
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
I'm confused. It's gonna be 2 more episodes and season pause till July or 26 till end of June and then another season?
The former.
Old 2014-03-22, 11:11   Link #590
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
My understanding is that it was planned to be split cour - 13 episodes now, 13 in July. I doubt they'd give a series like Space Dandy more than 26 episodes even if it's apparently popular in the West.
Old 2014-03-22, 11:17   Link #591
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
My understanding is that it was planned to be split cour - 13 episodes now, 13 in July. I doubt they'd give a series like Space Dandy more than 26 episodes even if it's apparently popular in the West.
Why? If the production committee wants more, they'll make more.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 11:27   Link #592
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Space Dandy doesn't strike me as a series that could run for that long. It could get another season at a later time, sure, but running uninterrupted for a year? I'm not sure it's possible to do that while maintaining that kind of animation quality.
Old 2014-03-22, 11:57   Link #593
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Considering how much funding came from the West for this show, as far I have understood, I would think that if the West wants it, it's going to happen. CN ratings have been quite good as far as I have seen.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 22:58   Link #594
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Episode 12 takes place on "A Planet that Looks Like It Has Chameleons" where Dandy hopes to catch a shapeshifting alien worth 100 million.

In the meantime, QT begins to get obsessed with fishing which ended up becoming kinda surreal.
As a result, QT unintentionally catches their target, the chameleonian(?) disguised as a black tsuchinoko and transforms into an old man over night. As a result, a hilarious chase ensues combined with the alien disguising itself as each member of the crew. This results in a hilarious "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" Style Quiz to determine who the real Dandy is resulting in an even crazier identity crisis that ends in a simple Dandy-like method.

Dr. Gel falling into the an even worse identity crisis as a result of capturing the chameleon instead of Dandy and leading to a pseudo-philosophical monologue by the narrator was even more hilarious.

Overall, this episode was dry in the first half but really picked up in the second half when they realized their little target was on the Aloha Oe.

Next episode seems like it will be a nice melancholic episode for QT.
It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
Old 2014-03-23, 09:43   Link #595
Aggelos
The one whom passes by

Didn't anyone else thing there was a Dr.Who reference when Dr.Gel went bonkers with
"Who is the Doctor?" lol I kept on thinking "Dr.Who?"
Aggelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 09:49   Link #596
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggelos View Post
Didn't anyone else thing there was a Dr.Who reference when Dr.Gel went bonkers with
"Who is the Doctor?" lol I kept on thinking "Dr.Who?"
The entire episode felt very tied to Dr. Who to me. There's the Library planet (Silence of the Library, Season 4, Episode 8) and then there's the alien that gets forgotten when people see it (The Silence, Season 5). Very Doctor Who'ish episode imho.
Old 2014-03-23, 10:40   Link #597
MCAL

"Yes! Black Tsuchinoko! Yes!" I think QT is my favorite. Such a hilarious little Robot.

Also... "Is that your Final Dandy?"
Old 2014-03-23, 11:03   Link #598
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

I always thought QT was a girl. Next episode she falls in love with a robot girl. Twist: QT is gay
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 16:39   Link #599
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The entire episode felt very tied to Dr. Who to me. There's the Library planet (Silence of the Library, Season 4, Episode 8) and then there's the alien that gets forgotten when people see it (The Silence, Season 5). Very Doctor Who'ish episode imho.
That was last week's episode. The episode that Aggelos is referring to is this week's episode (i.e. the one with the shapeshifter).
Old 2014-03-23, 19:36   Link #600
sikvod00

Legendary anime screenwriter Dai Sato shares his inspiration at Anime Boston:
http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/dai-s...p-space-dandy/

Quote:
Sato told the eager audience at Anime Boston that Space Dandy, the much-touted reunion production of the creative team behind Bebop and Champloo, began as just that: a wish to get the gang back together. Watanabe told Sato he wanted to make a comedy, as part of a desire to break away from his association with drama. The project was planned with a simultaneous worldwide release in mind: This was done not only as a way to ward off fansubbing and piracy, but more importantly because it would also give more fans an opportunity to connect and enjoy the show across international lines through the medium of social media.

Sato talked extensively about the influence of the moe movement on recent anime series. Moe, or "cute" culture, examines ideas about art, feminity, and thematic complexity vs aesthetic and design. Space Dandy draws influence from the energy and debate around moe culture, and the idea that "maybe you don't even need a story" to have a story.

"We thought of Space Dandy as a kind of counter-approach to this overall trend," Sato said, citing the popular Puella Madoka Magica as an example of a moe-inspired anime that went deeper but was "kinda heavy."
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, retro sci-fi