AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-12-17, 19:39   Link #141
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Don't know why your arguing over top games when both systems are hackable.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 19:55   Link #142
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag
Saying "lol no" doesn't count as fact.
True, so let's look at the DS games that have sold at least a million (either in one region or worldwide), shall we?

Spoiler for Length:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker
Don't know why your arguing over top games when both systems are hackable.
Tripfag claimed the majority of the popular games on the DS were either ports of remakes. I laughed at his claim. He tried to back his claims up by saying there were only 2 original IPs in the Metacritic's DS top 10. I also helpfully pointed out that there was one enhanced port and that the rest were sequels, disproving his point that, if one were to go by Metacritic as an indicator of popularity, the majority of popular DS games were either ports or sequels. I then suggested that if one were to go by sales, Tripfag's claim would still be proven false. He didn't seem to believe me, so I threw the wall of text above at him.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 09:38   Link #143
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
Tripfag claimed the majority of the popular games on the DS were either ports of remakes. I laughed at his claim. He tried to back his claims up by saying there were only 2 original IPs in the Metacritic's DS top 10. I also helpfully pointed out that there was one enhanced port and that the rest were sequels, disproving his point that, if one were to go by Metacritic as an indicator of popularity, the majority of popular DS games were either ports or sequels. I then suggested that if one were to go by sales, Tripfag's claim would still be proven false. He didn't seem to believe me, so I threw the wall of text above at him.
I was asking for original games. You counted games like Tetris DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World as "sequels", despite the fact that most of those games play exactly like their predecessors. and if you want to looks at original IPs:

Quote:
* Nintendogs - New IP
* Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! - New IP
* Big Brain Academy - New IP
* English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills! - New IP
* Cooking Mama - New IP
* Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day - New IP
* Common Sense Training - New IP
* Professor Layton and the Curious Village - New IP
* Mario Hoops 3-on-3 - New Mario IP
* Super Princess Peach - New Mario IP
* Love and Berry DS Collection - New IP
* Spectrobes - New IP
Hardly system sellers. Most wouldn't even count as games.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 09:51   Link #144
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Brain Age is a system seller, especially in Japan, whether you like it or not.
Old 2008-12-19, 10:16   Link #145
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
So what you're saying is, Brain Age is the reason one system is better than the other, and the sum of my entire argument is a denial of that fact.

Hm.

Also, I love my DS. I just hate when fanboys make up some ridiculous excuse that isn't "I like the games" to say that one system was better than the other.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 01:49   Link #146
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
I was asking for original games. and if you want to looks at original IPs:
So, point out to me again where in your statement of:

Quote:
The majority of popular DS games are ports and remakes
you asked for original IPs. Personally, I don't care if you think the DS is the greatest thing since sliced bread or if it's the spawn of the devil and there's nothing original about its games, but saying the majority of its popular games are all ports and remakes is a false statement.

And please, do also point out where in my replies to you I said that the DS is a better system choice.

Quote:
You counted games like Tetris DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World as "sequels", despite the fact that most of those games play exactly like their predecessors.
OK, if you want to count those, 8 ports and remakes out of 41 games. Whoopdeefreakindoo, that's still not a majority. Like I said before, even if you use sales to measure popularity, there are more original IPs and sequels than there are ports and remakes.

Quote:
Hardly system sellers.
. . .

Yeeeeeeeah, you keep thinking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
I would say about the only major market where Brain Age didn't sell in the millions was in the US (and even then it did well; as in "second only to Pokemon" well). Nintendogs was also a system seller, as its release was pretty much the point where the DS started selling like crazy. Cooking Mama also raised American DS sales during its release, I believe (meh, I really don't want to look it up). I think besides Brain Age, the other Training games tended to sell DS's in the UK (I only remember this because of some posters in another board asking what the heck was wrong with the Brits when they saw the UK sales charts). Love and Berry DS. . .ugh, considering how many of those damn Love and Berry machines I saw in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if this moved systems.

Quote:
So what you're saying is, Brain Age is the reason one system is better than the other, and the sum of my entire argument is a denial of that fact.
Noooooo, he's saying it sells systems in Japan. Whether or not that makes it better than the PSP is a subjective, separate, and totally different matter.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote