AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 488 56.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 237 27.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 6.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 44 5.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 0.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 0.81%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-01, 19:50   Link #101
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan
...As for technology and science... well, they call Yuki a magic-user for a reason- while her manipulations may be rooted in physical law, her methods are incomprehensible (aren't even observable, really) to Kyon and the viewer.
Well, isn't the old saying "Any technology sufficiently advanced can be called magic" apply here?

Quote:
Mikuru gives us something you can at least spin your wheels on with the time travel, but I only ever get a headache, and since we only ever see one timeline figuring this out isn't necessary.
How do we know that we've only seen one timeline?

------------

I'd like to add this from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: (paraphrasing)
Quote:
There is a theory that states that if we ever found out how the universe actually works and what it's here for, it will immediately disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory that states that this has already happened.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2006-08-01 at 21:50.
Old 2006-08-01, 23:54   Link #102
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
The references give it a nice intellectual atmosphere, but like I said, it only gives opportunities to think, it doesn't require you to.
While I agree with your analysis, I see this in the opposite way. That's exactly what I like about the way the deeper elements are presented. Sure, you don't have to think, but doing so may give a new insight. Other series considered deep, if you dont' get it, you lose most, if not all, of the enjoyment from watching. With Suzumiya Haruhi, you can still enjoy the series if you can't, or chose not to grasp the deeper concepts.

Also, about your previous post, when you said the series wasn't deep, I can't help but think you're setting the bar a little high.
Old 2006-08-02, 00:54   Link #103
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
I just wanna add that I didn't expect an anime series like this to be so popular, til I watched it myself. I was practically enthralled by it. And It's kinda rare to have a comedy-like like anime without the chibi-ness and slap-stick, which is risky sorta, since most popular anime use it. But with Suzumiya's spark, you don't really need it ^^. Wish school was like that look me!
Old 2006-08-02, 08:16   Link #104
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
who wouldn't wish for a MOE-ish elder female student in school with a quiet silent beauty with a nasty bam-stick using Haruhi?
Old 2006-08-03, 01:58   Link #105
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
Someone who has that "happiness" already...or Kyon XD
Old 2006-08-04, 02:07   Link #106
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
Well, isn't the old saying "Any technology sufficiently advanced can be called magic" apply here?
If anything I'd state it the other way around. It seems that the terminals manipulate the underlying informational qualities of matter and energy directly, so even if they talk about the effects they achieve with the terminology of our terrestrial physics, the manipulation itself is pretty magic-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Also, about your previous post, when you said the series wasn't deep, I can't help but think you're setting the bar a little high.
Yeah, I was basically asking to be confused. But I stick by the first line on the subject in the second post, that MoSH is defined by a sense of adventure. The mysterious aspects aren't meant to be figured out, they're just there to lend an air of mystery. All the science, philosophy, and references seem to be aimed at creating atmosphere, not a puzzle or thinking points.
Old 2006-08-11, 21:22   Link #107
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I'd probably rate this series 8/10, but I'd like to keep my final judgement on hold until I've rewatched it. Although I'm not inclined to do so in the near future, I was wondering ... If I do rewatch it, what would it be like to watch it in chronological order this time around? I assume some have already tried watching it like that, I'm curious what people thought of that way of watching the show. I never did see the point of most of the shuffling to be honest (even splitting up arcs for no apparent reason), I wouldn't be surprised if I prefer the chronological order.
Old 2006-08-11, 21:35   Link #108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The main difference is that chronologically:
1) its more "slice of life" and doesn't depend on a Big Finish -- the last episode is just a nice little "day in the life of" and you see that the gang is getting pretty comfortable with each other. From a series "dramatic finish" viewpoint that could be a problem for some.
2) chronological order is interesting because if you missed some dot connecting the first way because of disorientation .... you *see* how the relationships evolve, you understand why some of the subtle details (ponytail thread, for example) connect the way they do. meh, you catch more of the subtle bits.

I thought it was pretty interesting chronologically ... but I'm glad I saw it in Twilight Zone order first for the artistic effect.
Old 2006-08-12, 02:12   Link #109
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The main difference is that chronologically:
1) its more "slice of life" and doesn't depend on a Big Finish -- the last episode is just a nice little "day in the life of" and you see that the gang is getting pretty comfortable with each other. From a series "dramatic finish" viewpoint that could be a problem for some.
2) chronological order is interesting because if you missed some dot connecting the first way because of disorientation .... you *see* how the relationships evolve, you understand why some of the subtle details (ponytail thread, for example) connect the way they do. meh, you catch more of the subtle bits.

I thought it was pretty interesting chronologically ... but I'm glad I saw it in Twilight Zone order first for the artistic effect.
Best ending ever, Space Runaway Ideon, thats a Big Finish. You could say it goes out with a bang of sorts.
Old 2006-08-12, 04:11   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Best ending ever, Space Runaway Ideon, thats a Big Finish. You could say it goes out with a bang of sorts.
<heads off to the Restaurant at the End of The Universe for dinner>
Old 2006-08-12, 05:14   Link #111
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I see the relationship of magic to technology in the converse...
any magic that is sufficiently understood is science
actually, I now think of science more as a form of philosophy than ever.

This is how I feel after having been through this series and read the novels, and taking a hiatus for while. (luckily I managed to get ahold of a friend who knows undergrad Quantum mechanics to explain decoherence and Hilbert Space in going at the physics of Haruhi Universe).

(reserve a seat for me too Vexx.)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-08-12, 21:50   Link #112
Yuki-san
Yuki Nagato Addiction!

It's clearly a 10
It was the best anime I've ever seen
it has a great story nice animation and nice voice
it has a nice theme and moral
it has nice behaviors ahahaha so to speak
Old 2006-08-12, 23:01   Link #113
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki-san
It's clearly a 10
It was the best anime I've ever seen
it has a great story nice animation and nice voice
it has a nice theme and moral
it has nice behaviors ahahaha so to speak
run on sentence, comma, cooooooma? coma? (me right now). It, it, it, it, It Came From Beneath The Sea. (falls down convulsing).
Old 2006-08-12, 23:33   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
run on sentence, comma, cooooooma? coma? (me right now). It, it, it, it, It Came From Beneath The Sea. (falls down convulsing).
Not all input devices are cellphones. Readers do appreciate some care in composing posts.

Also, it never fails to liven up a conversation if you can correctly use the words "decoherence" or "hilbert space" .... "quantum entanglement" works better in darts or bocce
Old 2006-08-12, 23:50   Link #115
Yuki-san
Yuki Nagato Addiction!

Quote:
are you my english teacher??????

o well I'm not writing a composition, paragraph or whatever so what you have said is just pointless spam!

I just want to say my thoughts on this anime don't correct the mechanics/grammar of what I'm writing....

I really like this anime!!!!
Old 2006-08-13, 00:12   Link #116
arias

Quote:

o well I'm not writing a composition, paragraph or whatever so what you have said is just pointless spam!

I just want to say my thoughts on this anime don't correct the mechanics/grammar of what I'm writing....

Relax.. Don't get wound up

As a side note, it just came to my attention that words and paragraphs are printed the way they are now with run-on sentences because paper was at a premium in the time long before : o Originally, what seemed was to be in plans was for sentences to have lines of their own. It's sort of funny that this economically propelled decision -- which is really arbitrary, fuelled the development of literature as we know it..
Old 2006-08-13, 00:28   Link #117
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well English of the old (really old days) knew not of comma, period or even established spelling of words.

leaving that aside... Kaoshin might be reeling from the passing of Bright Noa's VA. Who knows...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-08-13, 01:28   Link #118
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

I really like this anime!!!!
Yes SIR! Very Sorry SIR. Will Not Correct Your Grammar Again..... SIR!!!!!!!
Old 2006-08-13, 01:29   Link #119
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Also, it never fails to liven up a conversation if you can correctly use the words "decoherence" or "hilbert space" .... "quantum entanglement" works better in darts or bocce
"The wavefunctions of my darts always seem to decohere into their shared hilbert space so as to be entangled with parts of the wall other than the dartboard."

Eh, I'm not fooling anyone, I flunked quantum mech...
Old 2006-08-14, 16:51   Link #120
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
lol. bad English. Let me say for the record, that none of you have the right to post bad english unless your from England. Afterall its our native language and we can mangle it however we like!

To Suzumiya Haruhi things....

arrggh! Depromoted to old series. sad. O(;_; )o

Haruhi is dead....LONG LIVE HARUHI II!