AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 94 58.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 25.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.73%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-09, 18:51   Link #701
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
So what exactly do they hope to achieve then by running away? Frontier is on its last legs and will inevitably fall to a Vajra attack so fighting against Frontier will deplete it of even more resources and make it vulnerable to attack unless they are waiting for Leon to make a mistake.
There is certainly that aspect, waiting for Leon to be stupid. But at the same time, staying is pretty much equal to a purge for the SMS crew. In fact, Leon hoped that they leave, so he can solidify his power without further interruptions. So if I were one of them, I would see no other choice than to leave temporarily.

Yes, further Vajra incursions may be a problem, but what good are you if... you are dead?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-09, 18:53   Link #702
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yes, SMS fought against their former allies, but if you notice, there were no casualties during their brief engagement.
And we are sure of this because...? All we know is that Alto and Luca weren't killed. Were they the only pilots in the engagement? I don't think so (and distinctly remember lots of fighters returning to the Quarter afterwards). How are we sure no one else died?

Quote:
There is certainly that aspect, waiting for Leon to be stupid. But at the same time, staying is pretty much equal to a purge for the SMS crew. In fact, Leon hoped that they leave, so he can solidify his power without further interruptions. So if I were one of them, I would see no other choice than to leave temporarily.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, then and see how the series develops this.

Quote:
Yes, further Vajra incursions may be a problem, but what good are you if... you are dead?
The same could be said about their loved ones - I mean, anyone but Canaria even has a family, tho?

Old 2008-09-09, 18:55   Link #703
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:

- Tak
Was it his intentions to purge the SMS crew? I was under the impression he was bringing them into the military much like what Luca, Alto, and Klan (who also stayed behind) have done.

The only people he has a beef with is Cathy and Ozuma though I question how Leon was able to convince Bliler to disband his military group.
Old 2008-09-09, 18:57   Link #704
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I don't. First of all, what kind of evidence was that, which could be destroyed and they didn't have a single backup? Second of all, how can they just swoop in, when Leon makes a mistake? Third of all, they fought their old allies for real, no theatrics, there.

So, no, I'm not digging SMS part in this, after the last episode...
My biggest problem is how hundreds of people are all on board with this. Even if they don't like the idea of working directly for the government, they're essentionally committing treason, more than a few are probably abandoning their families, and they're probably not even getting paid to do what they're doing.

Even if they were all told that Leon killed the previous President, they have no reason to believe it beyond presumably Ozma's word, and even if they do believe it, they're apparently not in a position to really do anything about it. They have everything to lose by doing what they're doing, and at this point they only seem to be acting out of spite with no direction.

7/10ths is simply too many people to be considered realistic.
Old 2008-09-09, 18:57   Link #705
golthin

Quote:
And we are sure of this because...? All we know is that Alto and Luca weren't killed. Were they the only pilots in the engagement? I don't think so (and distinctly remember lots of fighters returning to the Quarter afterwards). How are we sure no one else died?
The other pilots in the squadron most likely died or had to eject! they are the same as the red uniform crew member on the landing party from star trek!
Old 2008-09-09, 19:02   Link #706
Tak

Quote:
Aside from the fact that we were not shown any deaths during that brief engagement, it was unnecessary to kill. Ozma even went as far as to avoid killing Leon's guards. At best, the SMS probably just disabled pursuing fighters. Besides, Leon was being cheap, sending less than half-dozen fighters to pursuit the Quarter.

Then again, remember, this was part of Leon's plan, and he just wanted them to get the hell out of his way. Taking the SMS down would be a terrible political price to pay. Thus why the lukewarm pursuit.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-09, 19:05   Link #707
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
My biggest problem is how hundreds of people are all on board with this. Even if they don't like the idea of working directly for the government, they're essentionally committing treason, more than a few are probably abandoning their families, and they're probably not even getting paid to do what they're doing.

Even if they were all told that Leon killed the previous President, they have no reason to believe it beyond presumably Ozma's word, and even if they do believe it, they're apparently not in a position to really do anything about it. They have everything to lose by doing what they're doing, and at this point they only seem to be acting out of spite with no direction.

7/10ths is simply too many people to be considered realistic.
remember that most of the people in SMS are ex-military and people that have known Ozma for a long time thus why they trust him! it is realistic to say that new people like Alto and luca didn't join
Old 2008-09-09, 19:07   Link #708
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Was it his intentions to purge the SMS crew? I was under the impression he was bringing them into the military much like what Luca, Alto, and Klan (who also stayed behind) have done.
Luca might have a political agenda, thus why he stayed (and perhaps for Nanase too). Alto and Klan on the other hand, stayed for sentimental and personal reasons. Alto had Sheryl, and Klan did not want to leave Mike, even though the latter died.

Remember when he heard of the news, he was not surprised at all. His aide told him that "as expected, they have departed", meaning the Quarter fell into Leon's plan. Leon has a beef with Ozma and Cathy, but the crew of the SMS, who found out Leon had assassinate the president, probably would not be too enthusiastic in joining the military.

- Tak

Old 2008-09-09, 19:18   Link #709
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Aside from the fact that we were not shown any deaths during that brief engagement, it was unnecessary to kill. Ozma even went as far as to avoid killing Leon's guards. At best, the SMS probably just disabled pursuing fighters. Besides, Leon was being cheap, sending less than half-dozen fighters to pursuit the Quarter.
Ozma didn't avoid killing the guards, he made an informed decision to not waste time dawdling and get the hell out of dodge, so as not to get killed (and harm Cathy, as well). That was in character. Shooting down former friendly craft wasn't, really. It was just a very bratty thing, but like he said himself, he is not an adult, but a man... and he behaved like a little spoiled child, there.
So, no, I don't think they just disabled the other fighters. As you said, they didn't overly state that no one died, either.
If there's one thing we can be sure about this series is that they're not really showing us everything, leaving a lot to be assumed by different lenses of perception.

Quote:
Then again, remember, this was part of Leon's plan, and he just wanted them to get the hell out of his way. Taking the SMS down would be a terrible political price to pay. Thus why the lukewarm pursuit.
And, just because it was part of his plan, it's excusable? The guy probably has twenty different scenarios played out for breakfast, let alone these kinds of things.

Old 2008-09-09, 19:21   Link #710
Tak

Quote:
And, just because it was part of his plan, it's excusable? The guy probably has twenty different scenarios played out for breakfast, let alone these kinds of things.
Ya know, I don't care if some of NUNS pilots died during the pursuit. It does not matter to me, nor does it change the fact that:

1. The pursuit itself is intentionally half-assed.
2. It was within Leon's plan to solidify his positions.
3. The SMS really had no better choice. After all, they all know by now that the president was assassinated.
4. This is basically a gamble for the SMS.

- Tak

Old 2008-09-09, 19:28   Link #711
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
Ya know, I don't care if some of NUNS pilots died during the pursuit.
You know, that's really cold...

Old 2008-09-09, 19:31   Link #712
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
remember that most of the people in SMS are ex-military and people that have known Ozma for a long time thus why they trust him! it is realistic to say that new people like Alto and luca didn't join
Hence the awesome company parties.
Old 2008-09-09, 19:32   Link #713
Tak

Quote:
You know, that's really cold...
Hey, what did you expect the SmS crews to do? Shoot them with paintballs?

- Tak

Old 2008-09-09, 19:47   Link #714
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Story is getting more and more boring, talks about how Alto flirts with Sheryl and surprise us with how Sheryl still hasn't cut her wrist yet(?). Luca is depressed over his yet-to-be girlfriend. All that really happened is just SmS crew turn to piracy(hooray), and Sheryl has same ability as Ranka; which we saw coming from mile away. The only thing that really keep me watching is the good soundtrack, and adventure of Ranka Lee. Personal opinion here, keep your disagreement out of it. Oh, and if you blow on it, it produces a lullaby.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2008-09-09 at 20:02. Reason: Add Doubt
Old 2008-09-09, 20:00   Link #715
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Alto I can believe, since his new to SMS. I'm a bit apprehensive about Luca though, since IIRC was'nt he in SMS longer than Alto?

Quote:
Hey, what did you expect the SmS crews to do? Shoot them with paintballs?

- Tak
I'm more concerned about the ramifications though when those SMS pirates returned and rescued Frontier. IF indeed some of those pilots that were flying with Luca and Alto were killed I would really feel uncomfortable in the shoes of an SMS crewmember who meet the family of one of those killed.
Old 2008-09-09, 20:01   Link #716
Wesley84

If they want to depose Leon, they'll need Grace's severed head either as real evidence, or a bluff.
Old 2008-09-09, 20:04   Link #717
LordPhat

Quote:
Ya know, I don't care if some of NUNS pilots died during the pursuit. It does not matter to me, nor does it change the fact that:

1. The pursuit itself is intentionally half-assed.
2. It was within Leon's plan to solidify his positions.
3. The SMS really had no better choice. After all, they all know by now that the president was assassinated.
4. This is basically a gamble for the SMS.

- Tak
Yep I agree completely. However, Leon's next move is going to have to be quick bold since he (and Frontier) will run out of time in 3 months and his trump card, Sheryl, is seemingly going to be dead soon. No time to just float around and fiddle while Frontier burns. Leon may THINK he eliminated Grace. I assume the new (and sexy in spandex) Grace is another clone.

Likely whatever he and Grace have been planning, he feels he no longer needs her nor Brera to carry it through now he has Sheryl. Given SMS have neither Sheryl nor Ranka perhaps he hopes they are committing suicide by deserting and will be killed by the Vajra. Maybe he hopes they will soften them up for him and he can then fold his forces in with Sheryl for a death blow.
Old 2008-09-09, 21:08   Link #718
Tabris

Quote:
Nor does it mean that NUNS pilots had to die in that little fight either. But a little bit of common sense would at least make you think that killing NUNS pilots at least would be pointless, no? SMS knows that they're leaving Frontier on it's last legs, killing a few pilots isn't good for the families and friends they're all leaving behind.

Besides, nobody really cares about generic NUNS pilots anyway, you know, like how the Guantanamo carriers and their probable compliment of VF-171's apparently did jack in episode 7 too and SMS being the super soldiers they are, did everything.
Old 2008-09-09, 21:17   Link #719
Wesley84

There's no real point in arguing if the SMS wouldn't have been able to avoid killing the NUNs is there?
Old 2008-09-09, 22:35   Link #720
Tabris

None at all, I was trying to get to that, I think...it's too early in the morning.
Closed Thread