AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 22 26.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 50.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 14.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.10%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.44%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-15, 11:01   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Kanon - 2006 - Episode 7 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kanon, Episode 7.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-11-15, 15:17   Link #2
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Well, as the title suggests: Fuga of Runaways and Kittens. People already said "Makoto gets the cat this episode" so I'm inclined to believe that the cat is going to play an intregal part in her character development. In the second to last scene of the preview, she has a one-way conversation with the cat where she says the both of them are the same - nuisances with nowhere to go. I wonder if she runs away from Akiko's home or something, maybe because she overheard a conversation where they were talking about how troublesome she is. = |

Furthermore, that scene had grass in it. Where'd all the snow go? = O

It's probably a Makoto-heavy episode. I'm really eager to know if she's going to make or break in these upcoming 25 minutes. I'm barely stomaching her immaturity and I don't know how much more I can put up with it. Then again, Ayu's plenty short but the same age as Yuuichi. If Makoto really is younger than she looks, I'd probably be more sympathetic.

But Makoto doesn't remember that either, I bet. -_-
Old 2006-11-15, 16:16   Link #3
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
It's probably a Makoto-heavy episode. I'm really eager to know if she's going to make or break in these upcoming 25 minutes. I'm barely stomaching her immaturity and I don't know how much more I can put up with it. Then again, Ayu's plenty short but the same age as Yuuichi. If Makoto really is younger than she looks, I'd probably be more sympathetic.

But Makoto doesn't remember that either, I bet. -_-
I'm sure I'm not the first one to say that KyoAni is handling the Makoto-story and her character perfectly. Be a little more patient with her character and you will most definitely be in for a treat. I should know since I'm terribly spoiled by the old Kanon series.

Looking forward to the RAW for the episdoe.
Old 2006-11-15, 17:08   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... in retrospect Zaris is probably going to feel terrible for saying bad things about Makoto
Actually, that is really the case for every character in the show.... anyone saying bad things about them will probably regret doing so later.
Old 2006-11-15, 22:25   Link #5
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
Furthermore, that scene had grass in it. Where'd all the snow go? = O
If I remember correctly, it's also grass in the game, too.......and I've never played the game itself, just seen various CGs of the hill.
Old 2006-11-16, 11:40   Link #6
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

First half has some real comedy gold per usual (the jam scene is so full of win), but the second half the heavy drama's starting to kick in. The ride's about to begin for the Makoto's story. Again a very nice tie in with Mai plus making a scene a lot less contrived, major kudos for Kyoani with this original addition.

And the preview just has no more subtilities to what's to come, it's screaming out that something important is gonna happen to a particular character with the way it's chronographed.
Old 2006-11-16, 14:57   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Screenshots of episode 7 courtesy of Random Curiosity.
Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-11-16, 21:18   Link #8
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Geez I keep giving out 10s.

Looks like a Makoto heavy episode. Neat. I'm liking her 1000 times more this time around. Her interaction with Yuuichi is perfect I came about 2 inches from bawling during this episode. Especially during the dinner scene toward the end.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-16, 21:23   Link #9
Thelastguardian

If I remember correctly, the intro to Makoto's route (meeting with the cat) starts at Jan. 2x (the story starts at Jan. 7?).

Obviously KyoAni moved the scene a lot earlier than the game. I wonder whether this will have an effect on Makoto's character buildup.

Anyway, there's not much to write about in episode 7.

Spoiler for episode 7:

Well, at least it's not your run of the mill "1 girl/episode" bishoujo series - only half of the episode deals with Makoto. Thank god.

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-11-16 at 22:00.
Old 2006-11-16, 21:25   Link #10
Cyz
"Show it to me"

It's about time the anime start an arc. The intro arc seems a little long no?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-11-16, 21:30   Link #11
Ascaloth

Now, I'm one of those that has to wait for the SS-Eclipse subs to come out before actually touching a new episode, but if what you guys say are true...I'm getting the feeling that KyoAni may just end up falling back on a variation of the "modular" approach once again, instead of the "interleave" approach they had promised.

I'll explain more on my POV, but perhaps I should continue this in the spoiler thread instead?
Old 2006-11-16, 21:49   Link #12
Meophist

Spoiler for Thelastguardian:
In any case, I guess it's undeniable now that they're in Makoto's arc. I'll be interested in seeing how they'll go through with it. I'm expecting it to have quite a few changes from the '02 version.
Old 2006-11-16, 22:10   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Now, I'm one of those that has to wait for the SS-Eclipse subs to come out before actually touching a new episode, but if what you guys say are true...I'm getting the feeling that KyoAni may just end up falling back on a variation of the "modular" approach once again, instead of the "interleave" approach they had promised.

I'll explain more on my POV, but perhaps I should continue this in the spoiler thread instead?
well, even in an interleave approach, you have to idle the focus at times in threads in which important events are looming (i.e. sometimes it is bad dramatic form to cut from the starship battle to mom-buying-groceries ... sometimes it provides good contrast). Makoto's thread is a bit unique so I'm less bothered in this case than I might be with, say, Nayuki and Ayu.
Old 2006-11-16, 22:18   Link #14
DanielSong39

A lot of you are complaining about the modular approach, but the truth is that sometimes you need to have some level of focus for the dramatic scenes to have the desired impact.

Ideally you don't want Character A spills her guts to Yuuichi one moment and have Character B say "Uguu" and acts silly the next moment.

A dramatic arc needs a proper buildup and resolution. If that means being "modular" - is modularity such a bad thing?
Old 2006-11-16, 22:18   Link #15
Meophist

I do like how they're developing Mai alongside Makoto. Did that happen in the game?

Spoiler for Episode 7:
Old 2006-11-16, 22:22   Link #16
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
It's probably physically impossible to "interleave" all the routes together beyond the regular daily scenes, which Kyoani has done up to this point. As Yuuichi goes down one girl's route, it becomes impossible for him to chase after the others (which is why he's doing his best to set up all the flags beforehand, what a smart way to play ).

Instead, I think what they're doing is trying to keep the other heroines actively involved even during a particular heroine's route, so it would appear that everyone's involved in a single large story, with all the routes "connected" to each other somehow. (For example, Mai's involvement in Makoto's route. Which also introduces Mai's story a little... perhaps because they'll be doing her story next?)

Still, once we head into a heroine's route for real, the story becomes quite heavy. If they're planning to hit us with one route after another from here on, I wonder how the anime's mood will hold up...

Anyway, it's still the serious stuff that people's waiting for. I gotta say, the bridge scene was really nicely done.

Spoiler:

Kaori's "that person's always running around" line cracked me up.

The preview was great too, in a way.
Old 2006-11-17, 00:21   Link #17
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I agree with that sentiment. This whole episode though just pushes me to more into a slight melancholy. Kanon is only getting more and more emotional and there's no turning back.
Makoto's silioque is a very powerful moment. I remember that very clearly from the game and the Toei version. (and yes, I feel sorry for Makoto when it comes to the jam)

Nayuki's cat allergy. Well Kyuichi remembers that.

In 7:41, I had to go back to listen to the dialogue a few times... because of Sayuri's line: "なのはなしです?" (Guess what I was thinking about?)
Spoiler for self musing on what's ahead...:

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-11-17, 00:22   Link #18
Ascaloth

DSong, sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Well, how should I explain this...You see, from what we have of the hints so far,

Spoiler:

What I'm thinking is similar to Sushi-Y, but the thing is, I was kind of expecting it to stretch a coupla more episodes. And my impression of the interleave approach goes as thus:

1) The la-la stretch (which we've got so far all the way up to Ep6)
2) Character A's arc starts, beginning of the buildup of A's heavy-duty stuff
3) Approximately 3/4 through A's arc, where everything is coming to a head, Character B's arc starts building up as well.
4) Character A's arc comes to a head and ends 1/4 through B's arc.
5) 3/4 of the way through B's arc, where B's heavy-duty stuff is coming to a head, Character C's arc starts building up from there.

And so on, and so forth.

Now granted, perhaps it is already happening, and perhaps it's just too subtle for me to pick up on easily, but the point is, if they're going to give about the same number of episodes for each girl (perhaps a little more for you-know-who) as they're giving Makoto right now, somehow it feels as if KyoAni's gonna run itself out of content before the 24th episode. I'd be a lot more relieved if Makoto gets a coupla more episodes than the hints are pointing to now, since that way I'll be a bit more certain that everybody's arcs will fill up the whole 24 episodes.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-17, 04:17   Link #19
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well the thing that we can watch for is how the other characters (C) will respond to the storyarc conclusion of character A . The norm has been that the other characters are seemingly unaware or unaffected, although in Kanon the leads have some degree of rapport with each other.

And what do you know? english sub has appeared already.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-11-17, 10:19   Link #20
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Geez, guys. This is the ep. 7 discussion thread. Alot of the stuff you guys have in spoilers belongs in the speculation threads. Be nice to the first timers here.