AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-01, 04:09   Link #81
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
Back in the year 2006, Yuki seemed boring and uninteresting as a character. Here in the year 2009, I feel that she is, weirdly, growing on me.

Perhaps 2009's Yuki looks more MOEish, or maybe it's because of the imminent "Season 2". Her subtle actions, emotionless facial expressions; these little details enhance her image as a mysterious yet dependable character.

Finally I understand the fanboyism over Yuki that permeated the Otaku's scene for 3 whole years.
Wait, you have this book as your sig but have never understanded why Yuki have so many fanboys?

I also don't really she is really so much different this season (beside the more moeish face). I can't realy see why someone who thinks her as uninteresting 3 years ago would find her more this year. Unless it is for the EE... And even that is not so much.
Old 2009-09-01, 04:17   Link #82
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I don't know... hearing her weekly "This has happened ___ times" infodump was rather soothing.

And yes, I realize how horrible that makes me sound. I can't help it.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-01, 05:25   Link #83
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
Back in the year 2006, Yuki seemed boring and uninteresting as a character. Here in the year 2009, I feel that she is, weirdly, growing on me.
Boring? How could you not have been won over? The Boredom episode? The epic Yuki vs Ryoko scene? Her awesome guitar solo? The Day of the Sagittarius?

And those are just the blatantly obvious Yuki-licious scenes.
Old 2009-09-01, 08:45   Link #84
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Boring? How could you not have been won over? The Boredom episode? The epic Yuki vs Ryoko scene? Her awesome guitar solo? The Day of the Sagittarius?

To folks who find Yuki to be entirely uninteresting, I'd suspect that just makes her a walking Deus Ex Machina, whose sole apparent purpose is to sit in the background and read books until the the writers Haruhi writes the SOS-dan/Kyon into a corner and a solution needs to be had before the end of the episode (save episode arcs where the story demands that Kyon provide a solution. Which leads to things like E8. ) This is solely going off the anime. The novels are far more Yuki-centric.

All of this, of course, completely ignores the fact that Yuki is a very subtle character, surrounded by people who are quite . . . out there. If anything Endless Eight really served to make Yuki more accessible to people, since here we have a series of episodes where she's not hauled out to magic the SOS-dan out of trouble in the last five minutes. She's suffering through it like everyone else. And moreso, since she remembers all five hundred years of the Epic Failure of Kyon. Where we can see that, past the Vulcan facade of stoicism, there are subtle and not-so-subtle hints that she's bored out of her computronium skull. That she's annoyed and disappointed in Kyon/Haruhi. She's upset that, this time, her duties prevent her from magicking the SOS-dan out of trouble.
Old 2009-09-01, 09:23   Link #85
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
To folks who find Yuki to be entirely uninteresting, I'd suspect that just makes her a walking Deus Ex Machina, whose sole apparent purpose is to sit in the background and read books until the the writers Haruhi writes the SOS-dan/Kyon into a corner and a solution needs to be had before the end of the episode (save episode arcs where the story demands that Kyon provide a solution. Which leads to things like E8. ) This is solely going off the anime. The novels are far more Yuki-centric.
I agree in the old episodes she was just a waking Deus-ex-machina. Even Day of Sagitarious anime was not that good to show her emotions as did not explained she really did go to the Computer Clube when she felt like it after that.
Old 2009-09-01, 09:37   Link #86
Water
イデアがない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post

I realised my blasphemy and hereby I repent
Old 2009-09-01, 10:53   Link #87
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Does anyone know how to do that "Yuki speak" when she goes into her expositions? How many words could conjure up that kind of speech pattern?
Old 2009-09-01, 11:10   Link #88
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Think Vulcan... try to imitate Mr. Spock.
Old 2009-09-01, 11:58   Link #89
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Think Vulcan... try to imitate Mr. Spock.
Actually, given the torrent of technobabble that sometimes comes from that girl's mouth, the correct Star Trek character to think of would be Data.
Old 2009-09-01, 12:41   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Does anyone know how to do that "Yuki speak" when she goes into her expositions? How many words could conjure up that kind of speech pattern?
eh?..... Yeah, the Spock comparison is apt. I'm not sure I understand the last question. As many words as necessary?

How To Yuki:
1) Simply be a walking fountain of knowledge, but keep quiet until asked to speak.
2) Speak in monosyllables in normal conversation but when explaining something technical or complicated, use only complete sentences and bury your victim in complete and intensely accurate exposition.

When I was a kid in the late 60s, Spock was a role model for me (as was Scotty). I read the encyclopedias from A-Z, I read the freaking dictionary, I was a sponge for data. I took everything apart to see how it worked.

If you hear me in real life, I tend to be a bit level or flat in speaking tone. I speak almost entirely in complete sentences. I tend to be a bit of a walking wikipedia. I have an extensive science and engineering background. I type fast (a skill acquired when writing term papers the night before they were due on a Selectric typewriter - no word processors then).

All this made me an "alien" and a bit scary to my mostly blue-collar Texas relatives and fellow students They literally joked the aliens swapped me out when I was a baby because I was so weird to them.

So naturally, I'm a bit inclined to like Yuki -- and love the idea of being able to manipulate the data fabric of reality. I'm rather fond of the idea that the universe can be thought of as a giant data field. That's an actual field of study in cosmology and space physics for that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_physics
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/digitalphysics.html
Old 2009-09-01, 14:11   Link #91
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yuki is suppose to be speaking in ultra high fast SQL.
Old 2009-09-01, 15:23   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh, was it the SQL reality data manipulation "spells"/chants he was asking about? I thought it was just her prolific monologues on what is going on (like in the first season when she reveals what is going on, who she is, and what Haruhi is, to Kyon).
Old 2009-09-01, 15:43   Link #93
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I always thought of Yuki to be more like a female variant of Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, since she shares Data's (initial) obviousness to human communication and tendency to misunderstand any kind of metaphor, as well as lacking in emotion. And also to sprout tons of tons of technobabble, which Spock would usually be better at being coherent. But of course, this is all very similar to Spock too; all 3 had far more amazing abilities than the crew.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-02, 05:24   Link #94
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I hear a lot of people compare Yuki to Rei Ayanami, but I would agree that she has way more in common with Data and Spock. Actually, I think it would be awesome to see all of the SOS-dan member wearing Star Trek uniform (especially the ones with the skirts for the girls *growl*).
Old 2009-09-02, 05:35   Link #95
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
I hear a lot of people compare Yuki to Rei Ayanami, but I would agree that she has way more in common with Data and Spock. Actually, I think it would be awesome to see all of the SOS-dan member wearing Star Trek uniform (especially the ones with the skirts for the girls *growl*).
Whee for those miniskirts!

But Yuki definitely has a lot in common with Rei too, as they look quite similar and are both treated as tools that don't have a sense of individuality.

And actually a while back, there was a discussion on making a Endless Eight parody with an episode of Trek that had a time loop. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=31298&page=28

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-02, 05:45   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Nagato is like a cross between Data and Spock.

She has Data's tendency towards lengthy and incredibly precise technical exposition... and she has Spock's degree of emoting (i.e. almost non-existent). It's kind of funny, but... Data emoted a lot more than Spock, and that's even pre-emotional chip. The only exception being one time when Kirk ultimately survived a death duel with Spock, much to Spock's pleasant surprise, and Spock (with this big Haruhi-esque smile on his face) grabbed Kirk's two shoulders and yelled "Jim!" with such happy excitement at the sight of his friend being alive. It was kind of neat to see the Vulcan lose his non-emotional exterior for a second, and show how important Kirk was to him.

Likewise, just as Kirk often seemed to be the only person that Spock really cares about, I get the sense that Kyon is the only person that Nagato really cares about.
Old 2009-09-02, 05:58   Link #97
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Even Nagato's name is a reference to Rei. (The Ayanami and Nagato were both WWII battleships. Meanwhile, "rei" can mean "cold" and there's quite a few references to the fact that "yuki" means "snow," including one of Nagato's image songs.)

However, beyond the name, appearance and general role in the series, there really isn't much in common between the two of them.

Anyway, since we're throwing out male characters that Nagato is similar to, is it all right if I suggest Blues from the Rockman series?
  • Highly protective of the main character from their respective series.
  • A habit of rarely ever talking unless it's important.
  • "Issues" with their creators.
  • Independent nature compared to others of their kind. (Which ironically is the cause of said issues in both cases.)
  • A "villain" in at least one instance.
  • Always seems to show up at just the right moment.
  • Walking plot device the rest of the time.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm serious about this suggestion, mind you.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-02, 08:22   Link #98
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane
Even Nagato's name is a reference to Rei. (The Ayanami and Nagato were both WWII battleships. Meanwhile, "rei" can mean "cold" and there's quite a few references to the fact that "yuki" means "snow," including one of Nagato's image songs.)
how many times have I reed that... if it's 8 times... someones gonna suffer a fate worse then death 15532 times lol....

question

I can understand why Nagato is protective of Kyon but she does she like him, is it because of the memories she obtained from her future self (technically present self) from Bamboo leaf rhapsody or did she just naturally grow fond of him as Nagato spent more time with Kyon (eg help her apply for library card), or is it both in some kind of weird time loop.
Old 2009-09-02, 08:58   Link #99
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
I can understand why Nagato is protective of Kyon but she does she like him, is it because of the memories she obtained from her future self (technically present self) from Bamboo leaf rhapsody or did she just naturally grow fond of him as Nagato spent more time with Kyon (eg help her apply for library card), or is it both in some kind of weird time loop.
Library did most of it. That one gesture meant a lot to her, even if Kyon doesn't realize it.
Old 2009-09-02, 09:11   Link #100
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Library did most of it. That one gesture meant a lot to her, even if Kyon doesn't realize it.
Agreed. It's the little, subtle things that really hit home for Nagato.

Tags
characters