Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2017-12-20, 12:09   Link #5041
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Call of it, this is prelude for upcoming Goku vs legendary super saiyan.
But is that worth of hype after tournament of power? Technically Universe 7 is not content of threat anymore unless the scope widen to other universe.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 13:56   Link #5042
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

"Default Human Syndrome" is really nothing new in media; it plays to audience instinctive expectations of what they want to perceive as "normal",
aka "Only my tribe is normal, because anyone who isn't from my village are strangers, and therefore scary/myrsterious and therefore can't be trusted"

For example; take the protagonist of Nintendo's "Ace Attorney Series", the Defense Lawyer Naruhodo Ryuichi. He has and always has been designed as a 23 year old Japanese Law-School Graduate, and no Japanese teen/kid/university student would have given a second thought that he is an Asian, because to the Japanese Gamer that is the "Default Human"

Playing into that mentality, Nintendo realizes that western audiences back in the 2000s are NOT going to be generous and open minded of Naruhodo Ryuichi if he is identified and culturally coded as an Asian, so with NO changes and justifications to his still Asian Appearance, the character "Phoenix Wright" was born, whom Western Gamers readily identified with, because to them a Caucasian is the culturally indoctrianted "Default" (and therefore "normal") human. This of course applied to the rest of the cast too, most glaringly with Kirsato Mayoi the Shinto Priestess shoehorned into a "Gypsy Medium" called Maya Faye, with NO stylistic or aesthetic changes of her Shinto-Religious Background to accomodate an "American" setting; heck, they could not even bother changing the name of the Shinto Holy Symbol "Magatama", because they presumed the audience to think "hey Maya is a westerner like me because she has a western name, so its all good!"

Hollywood is unfortunately until recently not even REMOTELY that generous, just expecting the audience to think "White Normal, everyone else is a rapper/junkie/bullet-shield/nerd/monster-chow/romantic-runner-up/joke and if they reject they are being spoiled-sports who are ruining it for good happy Suburban Caucasian kids."

But hey, as Bob Dylan sung, "The Times Are A Changing"

Never thought would live to see the day where Disney of all companies is not so pig-headedly stubborn and bone-headed, and actually bothers to TRY to gradually respect the humanities of all the ethnicities in their new productions....

... though they STILL do stumble along the way, with Mantis existing in "Guardians of the Galaxy 2", whose ONLY purpose is to be the "meek nice Asian geeks who laughs WITH the steroid bloated macho white jock who calls her ugly all the time."

Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Come to think about it, after buying Fox, Disney now ALSO owns that horrid Dragonball De-Volution film too... shiver. :hehL

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2017-12-20 at 14:08.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 14:09   Link #5043
RDNexus

Oh, please, zip it. You're dumping your ideologies into something that has no need of that.
Never have I deemed others as less than myself, nor do I have a desire to do so. Don't make me (or anyone else here) into something that I'm not.

I still remember your deal with the U2 female warriors, so you have problems to deal with. Have a nice day.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 18:21   Link #5044
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
"Default Human Syndrome" is really nothing new in media; it plays to audience instinctive expectations of what they want to perceive as "normal",
aka "Only my tribe is normal, because anyone who isn't from my village are strangers, and therefore scary/myrsterious and therefore can't be trusted"

For example; take the protagonist of Nintendo's "Ace Attorney Series", the Defense Lawyer Naruhodo Ryuichi. He has and always has been designed as a 23 year old Japanese Law-School Graduate, and no Japanese teen/kid/university student would have given a second thought that he is an Asian, because to the Japanese Gamer that is the "Default Human"

Playing into that mentality, Nintendo realizes that western audiences back in the 2000s are NOT going to be generous and open minded of Naruhodo Ryuichi if he is identified and culturally coded as an Asian, so with NO changes and justifications to his still Asian Appearance, the character "Phoenix Wright" was born, whom Western Gamers readily identified with, because to them a Caucasian is the culturally indoctrianted "Default" (and therefore "normal") human. This of course applied to the rest of the cast too, most glaringly with Kirsato Mayoi the Shinto Priestess shoehorned into a "Gypsy Medium" called Maya Faye, with NO stylistic or aesthetic changes of her Shinto-Religious Background to accomodate an "American" setting; heck, they could not even bother changing the name of the Shinto Holy Symbol "Magatama", because they presumed the audience to think "hey Maya is a westerner like me because she has a western name, so its all good!"

Hollywood is unfortunately until recently not even REMOTELY that generous, just expecting the audience to think "White Normal, everyone else is a rapper/junkie/bullet-shield/nerd/monster-chow/romantic-runner-up/joke and if they reject they are being spoiled-sports who are ruining it for good happy Suburban Caucasian kids."

But hey, as Bob Dylan sung, "The Times Are A Changing"

Never thought would live to see the day where Disney of all companies is not so pig-headedly stubborn and bone-headed, and actually bothers to TRY to gradually respect the humanities of all the ethnicities in their new productions....

... though they STILL do stumble along the way, with Mantis existing in "Guardians of the Galaxy 2", whose ONLY purpose is to be the "meek nice Asian geeks who laughs WITH the steroid bloated macho white jock who calls her ugly all the time."

Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Come to think about it, after buying Fox, Disney now ALSO owns that horrid Dragonball De-Volution film too... shiver. :hehL
Wow.

Is this copy pasta from somewhere?

Perhaps a parody of excessive political correctness or social justice?

Because otherwise that's some Zamasu level mind gymnastics there.

Also, did you seriously just project race onto a couple of alien characters?

By all means, though, keep talking about cultural appropriation in a thread for a Japanese anime whose main character and original premise were ripped directly from a Chinese legend.
Old 2017-12-20, 19:12   Link #5045
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Also, did you seriously just project race onto a couple of alien characters?
TBF, I don't know about Drax being white (he certainly looks like a steroid bloated macho jock), but Mantis was obviously meant to "feel" Asian in attitude and looks. She even has an Asian-ish accent. But that may be just because the actress looked Asian (she's half-Korean, to be precise, French though), so they rolled with it with the mannerisms. The "ugly" jokes got pretty annoying soon for me, but mostly because they felt like a Flanderization of Drax's character - he went from somewhat dense in the first movie to completely, utterly, desperately dumb.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-21, 11:53   Link #5046
azenable
President of TecoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
I'm one who believes Saiyans, appearance-wise, may seem more like caucasians than asians.
Just because a story has a japanese author, doesn't mean the MC has to be asian-looking
They are monkey...
azenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-21, 12:06   Link #5047
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azenable View Post
They are monkey...
Good one, actually...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 12:17   Link #5048
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

I wondering what they plan to do with Frieza after this arc if it isn't Super's last, he's had alot more screen time and contact with the main cast more during this arc then during any other he appeared in.
Old 2017-12-23, 20:07   Link #5049
n0m@n
C-Z

This episode was better than I thought. I was imagining it to be a child's play before the real deal (U11). But the U3's last resort was more dangerous than I thought. Who would have thought the remaining five U7 fighters would have to go all out and do a combined attack to defeat that monster.

Spoiler for U3:

With this there's only 2 Universe left now: U7 and U11.
Though U7 still have 5 fighters (Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Freeza, 17) the U3 has 3. The Beerus-looking guy seems like he can be handled by any of the current U7 fighters while Toppo can be takedown by any of Goku, Vegeta, or Freeza. Though from the preview it seems like Vegeta will be the next one to go.
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 21:09   Link #5050
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Looks like we have reached the climax. Still, I read that next week there will not be an episode due to holidays
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 23:23   Link #5051
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

All hell's about to break loose.
Frieza, 17, Goku, Gohan and Vegeta vs Toppo, Dyspo and last but not least Jiren....TIME TO ROCK...in 2 weeks.
Old 2017-12-23, 23:36   Link #5052
Sixth
Hu Tao

That was hell a twist that there was an imp or something like that in the GoD U3, and it even can talk!

Aniraza is definitely a monster that inspired by the DBZ movies.

It was nice to see that DBS is slowly integrating movie characters or monsters from DBZ movies into a dragon ball canon/lore.

LOL at the preview...that Vegeta managed to land a clean hit on Jiren without UI.

Overall it was a good episode. At least in this ToP, there were at least 2 characters are definitely fit to be a raid boss for the DB video games (Aniraza and GIANT Magical Girl Ribrianne)
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-23, 23:52   Link #5053
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

It's a clear sign he's might gain UI of his own, maybe.
Old 2017-12-24, 00:11   Link #5054
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassGSnewtype View Post
It's a clear sign he's might gain UI of his own, maybe.
You mean like AUTO-COUNTER?
Old 2017-12-24, 00:25   Link #5055
vietthai96
The Saiyan God

I see him just rather go all-out like no tomorrow, beside i don't see Jiren are in pain from the attack. And no UI for Vegeta i swear
Old 2017-12-24, 00:53   Link #5056
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassGSnewtype View Post
All hell's about to break loose.
Frieza, 17, Goku, Gohan and Vegeta vs Toppo, Dyspo and last but not least Jiren....TIME TO ROCK...in 2 weeks.
Prepare yourself for two episodes of Goten, Trunks and Maron vs bandits before the climax.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 00:55   Link #5057
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Prepare yourself for two episodes of Goten, Trunks and Maron vs bandits before the climax.
Don't jinx it.
Old 2017-12-24, 01:14   Link #5058
vietthai96
The Saiyan God

Oh we have some episode of Meanwhile

Edit: I ship them

Last edited by vietthai96; 2017-12-24 at 02:22.
vietthai96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 08:02   Link #5059
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 08:32   Link #5060
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

At least my prediction went bullseye that Universe 11 is the last opponent knowing that Jiren is "untouchable" right now and he's even ready to fight in prime condition again after his meditation.

I think that prediction will be Dyspo vs No. 17, Vegeta vs Toppo and Jiren vs Goku.

Still, i do hope that Beerus will use the last resort which is using Potara to create Vegito if Jiren continue to be proven "undefeated".
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dragon ball z, shounen, super powers, tragedy