AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-03-15, 10:41   Link #401
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Ended?
Great episode. Great anime.

But I've been curious about several things like :
1. How much does the doll get paid? The job took days and the travel expenses must be a lot, must be very expensive
2. Young women travel great distance alone. Who will take responsibility if bad things happened to them?
Maybe they are equipped with personal protection devices. I think Violet can handle herself in most situations.
Old 2018-03-15, 11:37   Link #402
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode hit me hard as well. I had a hard time holding back the tears near the ending. I've already seen this done in another series (can't remember which right now), but this was very well done and packed quite the emotional punch.

Definitely one of the best episode of the series. I liked it even better than the Oscar episode.
Old 2018-03-15, 11:57   Link #403
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-23 at 07:38.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 12:17   Link #404
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Ended?
Great episode. Great anime.

But I've been curious about several things like :
1. How much does the doll get paid? The job took days and the travel expenses must be a lot, must be very expensive
2. Young women travel great distance alone. Who will take responsibility if bad things happened to them?
Violet has a pistol in her suitcase.

Last edited by blakstealth; 2018-03-15 at 12:57.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 13:00   Link #405
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Maybe they are equipped with personal protection devices. I think Violet can handle herself in most situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Violet has a pistol in her suitcase.
Uhn... I don't think a gun-wielding untrained women (except Violet) can fend off gangbangers...
Also what if the client is a rapist?

But anyway, with the addition of so high risk, how much exactly do they get paid?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 14:57   Link #406
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Also what if the client is a rapist?
Do you remember when Gilbert's brother said Violet slaughtered his men? Well, what do you think they tried to do that provoked the little girl?

As for the rest of the Dolls, I think they're all pretty well trained. It's part of their job to go to wherever their clients might be, after all.
Old 2018-03-15, 15:25   Link #407
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I'm sure it's real easy for Cattleya to conceal a taser or combat knife on her person.
Old 2018-03-15, 15:30   Link #408
WingedAccelerator

Unpopular opinion here: While I liked the last 2 minutes, mainly because of Anne, the episode was full of emotional manipulation and forced feels. It's really surprising to me that wherever I go, the reviews, opinions are unquestionably positive, when this is really a prime example of the forced feels negative criticism that a lot of haters like to use about these kind of anime. It was obvious that the mother was gonna die, it was obvious that the letters are meant for Anne. So why is this particular episode rated that highly? And this is coming from someone, who is not unfamiliar of crying, yet I was deadpan for 16 minutes...
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 15:36   Link #409
Kazu-kun

Emotionally manipulative? Sure, but not forced. You have a mother who's dying and a kid that's suffering because of it. There's nothing forced about it. It's actually a pretty understandable and logical situation.
Old 2018-03-15, 17:51   Link #410
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Unpopular opinion here: While I liked the last 2 minutes, mainly because of Anne, the episode was full of emotional manipulation and forced feels. It's really surprising to me that wherever I go, the reviews, opinions are unquestionably positive, when this is really a prime example of the forced feels negative criticism that a lot of haters like to use about these kind of anime. It was obvious that the mother was gonna die, it was obvious that the letters are meant for Anne. So why is this particular episode rated that highly? And this is coming from someone, who is not unfamiliar of crying, yet I was deadpan for 16 minutes...
Various reasons? If I say why I liked it, I'll just be another person who likes it. Better start some sort of poll then if you want to know the details. :P

For me I liked how the drama was executed and what the episode conveyed. The key take away for Violet's development in this episode was to show the contrast to her character compared to her oblivious and insensitive self before her existential crisis. Compare her from ep 7 to ep 10. The fact that she's more perceptive about people's feelings without heavily relying on projecting her experience to others is a huge development already. In ep 8 she did not know what she had done nor she felt Oscar's pain and suffering. She was only able to connect to herself through the story that Oscar has modeled after his late daughter. With Anne's case, she genuinely felt her pain since at this moment she already knew what loss is.

Another theme I can relate to is the subject of living on borrowed time. Was the theme cheap? Far from it.

The pain of a loved one with a terminal sickness who is spending their very limited time fulfilling obligations rather than spending it all with those whom he loved so much.

For my case it's the other way around. I was the one scrambling elsewhere to accomplish the things my father bid me to do. I was the one always stuck in a 5 hour traffic on each trip while he was laying on his bed and growing weaker by the moment. Precious time which could have been spent together with him. Even though he pushed me to do those things I never viewed them as wasted time. Still, he wanted me to finish it. He was willing to sacrifice his remaining time just so that he can secure our family's future.

Last edited by rulfo; 2018-03-15 at 20:36.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 21:13   Link #411
Wandering Soul

Now the Oscar episode definitely has competition when it comes to best episode. I was tearing up during the montage showing Anne in later moments of her life. The episode really did show that a parent's love can stay with you long after they pass away.
Old 2018-03-15, 21:22   Link #412
wuhugm
Confused Shark

I saw that montage coming from miles away, so the sadness is minimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well,As for the rest of the Dolls, I think they're all pretty well trained. It's part of their job to go to wherever their clients might be, after all.
I didn't see any scene where they got trained
Even if they are trained, I don't think they can get out of situation like :
"Let's write the letter in this room"
*Locks door*
*Dozens of men came out from hiding*
>Hentai situation unfolded<
Old 2018-03-15, 21:50   Link #413
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Well, like I said, it's part of their job to go to wherever their clients might be, and I don't think their employers would have them do that without receiving some sort of self-defense training. Actually, I think in the novel Cattleya beats the crap out of some punks in one chapter. I could be wrong though.
Old 2018-03-15, 21:50   Link #414
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
I saw that montage coming from miles away, so the sadness is minimal

Even if they are trained, I don't think they can get out of situation like :
"Let's write the letter in this room"
*Locks door*
*Dozens of men came out from hiding*
>Hentai situation unfolded<
take off your hentai goggles
Old 2018-03-15, 21:53   Link #415
SeaDoor

Quote:
I fear you ask too much of the tiger.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 03:08   Link #416
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
I, for one, am a sucker for these kinds of themes. I can probably bring myself half to tears if I just read a _synopsis_ of something like this. By now you might think, "oh this guy would just cry at anything"... but actually, the execution of it is crucial to getting the other half of the way there. By execution, that means the directing, the music, the voices, the art, the animation. The way we follow the perspective of Anne so that we know how pure-hearted, childish, and lonely she is before she learns the truth. The beautiful, wistful music that accompanies the unfolding story. The gentle voice of the mother. The breathtaking details of the environment. The smooth, lifelike movement. Yes, they're there to evoke something from the viewer. If that's emotionally manipulative, then I'm fine being manipulated - I want to see what the director, the author, and the staff are trying to show me. If they're skilled enough to be able to convey what they want me to see through the execution, then hey I'm not here to deliberately fight it.

Since you mention "forced feels" and "haters", yes I've heard stuff like "forced drama" being thrown around so many times in ASuki as if the mere term itself suffices to explain the criticism. Some people mean it to say that the story is forcing the characters to behave in bizarre ways or end up in completely unnatural situations purely so the plot can move along. Most people just use it as a blanket term for, "I can't get into this anime, so anything it does looks forced". However, I don't think there's anything unnatural about the characters or situation in this episode. But if you just can't get into it, then you just can't get into it, and that's OK.
Old 2018-03-16, 03:12   Link #417
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

More like Violet Everfeels am I right?

Incidentally it rained outside right now and I pretty sure there's a hole in my roof.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 10:54   Link #418
Applehell

Even though I saw the twist coming halfway through the episode, I'd be damned if it didn't hit the feels. Despite this just being another side it's effected me more than anything in main narrative (not that has been bad mind you) has in spite of simplicity. Wonderful episode.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 11:23   Link #419
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, like I said, it's part of their job to go to wherever their clients might be, and I don't think their employers would have them do that without receiving some sort of self-defense training. Actually, I think in the novel Cattleya beats the crap out of some punks in one chapter. I could be wrong though.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
I fear you ask too much of the tiger.
Hey! It's a perfectly reasonable inquiry!
Doll Trafficking Yeah!
Old 2018-03-16, 18:50   Link #420
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Think this might be my show of the year. Nothing else has come close to tugging my cold black heartstrings as this show has...

I really hope it has a happy ending. =<

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote