AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-01-17, 00:13   Link #81
SvenCalBayan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Free-to-play is fine, just so long as it follows the Path of Exile model - that is, one wherein cash can buy only conveniences (i.e. extra character slots) or aesthetics. Pay-to-win, on the other hand, is something that should be avoided like the foulness it is.
I don't think it's avoidable.

People praise TERA for being a great F2P.

I played TERA when it was P2P from may 2012 to january 2013. Kept playing when it turned into F2P in january 2013... played till my elite status went down in may 2013.

My elite status was given to me as reimbursement for paying a long-term subscription back in 2012... when the game was P2P.

Elite status gives you various in-game bonuses such as double daily quest amount & daily dungeon entries, shortened dungeon entry cooldowns, decreased broker fees, etc., elite players receive the awesome benefits listed below:

Razormane mount
Permanent 100% XP Boost
Permanent 100% Reputation Boost
Permanent 100% Quester's Gold Boost
12 one-hour 100% Gold Hunter's Boosts (Displays after December 9 at 4 p.m. PST when Elite bar resets.)
Village Atlas
Travel Journal
Elite Gift Box (daily loot box rewarded from the bar)
Crafter’s Cure (1000p) ×1*
Bravery Potion ×1*
Canephora Potion ×1*
Instance Reset Scroll ×1*

Even though the game is free now, Elite status is still available for those who are willing to pay 14.99 $ US a month.

And that's not all, the online store has not only cosmetic things, but various "Loot Boxes" as well. "Loot Boxes" that contains many items that can upgrade (enchant) your weapon faster & smarter. Of course, these "Loot Boxes"cost real money... and I have searched everywhere on the website... I don't think there's a limit to how many you can buy. Prices for these "Loot Boxes" ranges from 1,50 $ US to 15,00 $ US approx.

So basically, those who do not pay will not have the advantages that paying players have.

Some qualify these advantages has "Pay to Get there Faster" rather than "Pay to Win". Others say it's simply "Pay to Win". I guess it's up to you to decide which is it.

---------------------------

In any case, I will try out Tree of Savior for sure. Just saw the videos posted by Steparu. The game looks awesome, and just like Duo Maxwell mentioned, the ost is indeed amazing.

Last edited by SvenCalBayan; 2015-01-17 at 00:46. Reason: More info...
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 12:11   Link #82
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Seem like you can revive right at the place you're dead by spending 1 NXP (nexon cash, as far as I know), and there is cooldown reduction potion in cash shop. So far I could say thing is getting ugly.
Old 2015-01-18, 12:13   Link #83
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Cooldown reduction potion? Really? Can I have source on that please?

I was talking about this game with my friend and he said that he found one skill have 33sec CD and now you're telling me that there's this one cash item that can decrease it? D:

edit+
simple google took me to this: http://www.reddit.com/r/treeofsavior/comments/2sqd78/
Well...damn. With 10 minutes duration I don't think the item is talking about stamina.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 12:35   Link #84
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedDream View Post
Of all the publishers.....
I don't have a dislike for Nexon, but they just have this tendency for their cash shop...
Old 2015-01-18, 14:41   Link #85
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I don't have a dislike for Nexon, but they just have this tendency for their cash shop...
From the thread Von Himmel tracked down:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroponKoe@reddit
This is Korea; Probably what he views as P2W is not what the West views as P2W.

P2W is highly accepted, and actually wanted, over there.

So maybe he is saying no direct P2W - No gear upgrades, craft mats, etc.
Some research is in order. Firstly, with respect to what Kim Hakkyu's idea of 'pay-to-win' is as opposed to the perception I and others seem to have; and secondly, into the cultural differences which lead to the concept being accepted and wanted there. For the latter, I found an article which touches on how some of those differences in China affect a Call of Duty iteration.

The issue of cash shops for said game, however, is actually brought up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Futter@GameInformer
Monetization comes in many of the same ways that western titles coax money from users. Customization options, skins, weapons, and attachments will all cost players money. Suarez says that a major difference between the west and China is a difference in perspective on pay-to-win. “Their tastes are different,” says Brian Raffel, studio head at Call of Duty Online developer Raven Software. “They don’t mind paying for a leg up on their counterparts, whereas that wouldn’t go over in the U.S.”
Which raises in mind these among other questions for a developer: one, once you allow players to buy explicit ingame advantages, how do you make sure your game (and especially the competitive portion thereof) remains a matter of skill and practice as opposed to availability of funds? And second, does this not only provide additional incentive to the, shall we say, creative and morally flexible coders out there?

I would point out, since we're here, that Airmech has an interesting way of handling its cash shop items that would be considered pay-to-win: these items are explicitly unusable in its ranked PvP matches.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 22:13   Link #86
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Cooldown reduction potion? Really? Can I have source on that please?

I was talking about this game with my friend and he said that he found one skill have 33sec CD and now you're telling me that there's this one cash item that can decrease it? D:
I've seen a skill have as long as 1 minute cooldown, which is fine with me until I know the existence of cdr potion.
Old 2015-01-18, 23:19   Link #87
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
On another note, someone is already MacGyvering a custom keyboard mod for this game.
Old 2015-01-18, 23:42   Link #88
Redoaxe
ツンデレ。。。?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1544882579129628
Pyromancer soloing a boss.
That bunnyhop sure is OP.
Old 2015-01-19, 00:49   Link #89
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I'm not sure the hop actually helping anything. It looks like they are still traveling at normal speed. The problem is most boss has rather long cooldown between each of their attack, so far it's looks really easy even the players were underleveled.
Old 2015-01-19, 04:28   Link #90
SvenCalBayan

They're probably gonna up the difficulty at some point. The constant jumping will become rather pointless.

Although, I saw some footage where jumping, not constantly, but from time to time allowed you to evade certain types of ground AoEs.

So far, I'm enjoying the footage uploaded by Steparu.

This game seems like a perfect fit for a console controller... I hope they implement it.
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-19, 18:09   Link #91
Redoaxe
ツンデレ。。。?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I'm not sure the hop actually helping anything. It looks like they are still traveling at normal speed. The problem is most boss has rather long cooldown between each of their attack, so far it's looks really easy even the players were underleveled.
Yeah, I guess that's true. That boss' attack looks really slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenCalBayan View Post
They're probably gonna up the difficulty at some point. The constant jumping will become rather pointless.

Although, I saw some footage where jumping, not constantly, but from time to time allowed you to evade certain types of ground AoEs.

So far, I'm enjoying the footage uploaded by Steparu.

This game seems like a perfect fit for a console controller... I hope they implement it.
Playing it with controller would be so good!

Anyway, here's another video:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1544910822460137
Psychokino soloing a boss.
I think they really need to up the difficulty.
Old 2015-01-20, 00:21   Link #92
Raviel

While I agree the bosses need to be slightly more difficult (read: move faster), it's also fair to remember that more or less all the "bosses" we've seen so far are just large monsters fought as part of regular quest chains and are probably not representative of end-game level bosses in the game

Now that I think about it, I think what really needs some difficulty tweaking are the field bosses because there seems to be nothing else to distinguish them from the bosses in the quest chains besides a bigger HP pool.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-20, 01:29   Link #93
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

They do look a little bit harder, but I don't think that's enough.
Old 2015-01-23, 04:25   Link #94
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Look at all those graphic glitches.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 04:27   Link #95
Raviel

^It wouldn't be RO's spiritual successor without skill effects from 10 or more people blocking out the screen
Old 2015-02-10, 17:13   Link #96
Firefly00

Aar

The acronym expands to 'After-Action Report', and an official example thereof has in fact been released for perusal. It even includes art for a new MOS...

...for whom I think many of the soundbites from Yuri's viral snipers would be so fitting.
Old 2015-02-11, 07:36   Link #97
SineMora
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
The acronym expands to 'After-Action Report', and an official example thereof has in fact been released for perusal. It even includes art for a new MOS...

...for whom I think many of the soundbites from Yuri's viral snipers would be so fitting.
Those Alchemists... feels Bloodborne-y

I LIKE IT!!!

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-16, 05:50   Link #98
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Some of the items that were introduced during CBT1 such as potions to increase your movement speed, decrease your cool-down time and etc can only be crafted by Alchemist and can’t be obtained through other ways, but for our smooth testing during CBT1, we temporarily sold them at one of the shops in the game.

http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/
Thank god ;_;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-16, 08:07   Link #99
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Thank god ;_;
Man, Alchemists are probably going to be rich in ToS.

The things they can craft are nothing short of game changing.
Old 2015-03-16, 08:29   Link #100
HasuMasu
*Artist

Doesn't it take hours though? I remember reading something like that...

Tags
anime, mmorpg, ragnarok online, tree of savior