AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

View Poll Results: Re:Zero - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 23 44.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 44.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 7.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-09-04, 19:21   Link #41
Twi

Well, at least the next time he does this he can prevent most of this crap from happening, right?

Not sure how he's going to get out of the possession issue, but Julius mentioned he was good with spirits. Maybe a temp-contract with Puck?

Wait... how did he not possess Subabru when he was killed by Puck?

Unless that laughing was proof he was being possessed!
Old 2016-09-04, 20:19   Link #42
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Well, at least the next time he does this he can prevent most of this crap from happening, right?

Not sure how he's going to get out of the possession issue, but Julius mentioned he was good with spirits. Maybe a temp-contract with Puck?

Wait... how did he not possess Subabru when he was killed by Puck?

Unless that laughing was proof he was being possessed!
Probably because there would have been little point in possessing him at that time, he would have just died again 5 seconds after possessing Subaru

As for getting out of being possessed, he probably just has to be out of range of possession when they finally kill all the fingers.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-04, 20:49   Link #43
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Am I the only that thinks Betelgeuse ended possessing Puck in that loop? He did say something like Subaru was slothful in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Strange logic. Instead of blaming the actual perpetrators, blame the victim of said perpetrators? That's like people caught up in a bank robbery blaming the bank for the harm they suffered.
Actually your logic is strange
The first argument is a fallacy. Why do they have to choose one of two? Why can't they blame both?
The comparison is wrong either. The right equivalence of the situation is: A certain bank is guaranteed to be robbed and you are forced to be at the bank every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's like blaming someone who was hit by a car for other people getting hurt while the ones in the car that hit them speeds away in a panic.
Same as above. The right comparison is: Someone is guaranteed to be hit by a car and you are forced to stay near him.
Old 2016-09-04, 21:22   Link #44
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Its good to see Ram again
Old 2016-09-04, 22:18   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
- The villagers aren't wrong when they blame Emilia for what's happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's like blaming someone who was hit by a car for other people getting hurt while the ones in the car that hit them speeds away in a panic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
If she wasn't around then there would be no reason for the witch cult to attack the village.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Strange logic. Instead of blaming the actual perpetrators, blame the victim of said perpetrators? That's like people caught up in a bank robbery blaming the bank for the harm they suffered.
I'll probably post on the episode as a whole in a bit, but I wanted to comment on this interesting back-and-forth first.

GDB and Kakurin-san, I certainly understand that moridin84's comment might be morally displeasing to you. I get why you take exception here.

That being said, moridin84 does have a point. "Blame" is a strong word, and I'm not sure I'd go that far, but this much is almost certainly true - If Emilia had chosen somewhere else to live, somewhere much farther away, these villagers would have likely remain unharmed. That's cold, maybe even as cold as Puck can be, but it's still true.

Whether Emilia likes it or not (and I suspect it's mostly "not"), she is a special person. And as a special person, she draws special attention. This is why the car accident and bank robbery analogies honestly don't work that well. With one important exception, Emilia is like a wanted freedom fighter hiding out near a remote village - The dictator's brutal forces are drawn to that village because she's there. For the villagers in my analogy, and for the actual villagers in this show, if this special wanted person wasn't living near them, they'd be safe. So the villagers in this show have a point, their fear and anger are understandable. Yes, it's nasty, but their lives are truly at stake, and so are the lives of their families. The main thing I take from moridin's point here is that we shouldn't condemn the villagers. They are in fact technically correct that if Emilia was living far away from them, they would be safe. The danger they sensed is very real, as they have now been brutally attacked, with it seeming like some have been massacred.

This episode has actually given me a greater appreciation for Emilia and her plight. It's good to truly see that her desire for equality likely goes beyond simple bland platitude to something very personal and very real. Emilia's special status causes her, and the people living nearby her, major problems. It makes sense that she'd think something like "Why can't all people just be equal? Then I wouldn't have to put up with the horrible curse of my special status!"

Yes, Emilia's situation is brutally unfair, in all likelihood. Because that's the important exception to my analogy above - Emilia likely did nothing to cause this, whereas the freedom fighter did in fact take up arms at some point in order to gain his fame/notoriety. It appears that Emilia is wanted and targeted purely due to what she is (a half-elf with silver hair), and not anything that she's done. Nonetheless, the villagers are truly separate 3rd parties in all of this, so while their position is cold/harsh, it does make practical sense.
Old 2016-09-04, 23:48   Link #46
Jaden

Normies in this world that possess no power are completely reliant on their feudal lords for protection. The villagers are basically Roswaal's serfs - and if some wizard or swordsman of moderate power decides to, they can easily slaughter those people.

But it's not like the village is being guarded 24/7. It's only protected by the pretense that there's no reason to attack it, and that any attackers would suffer retribution from Roswaal. None of that matters if the witch's cult is brought in, though.

So in a way, yes, their lord taking in Emilia completely violates any bond of trust they used to have. The villagers were cut off and left to die in favor of Emilia. That's their reality, but yes, they're "victim blaming", lol.
Old 2016-09-05, 01:08   Link #47
Arkard

Hmmm Betelgeuse was saying that the Ordeal was almost over when they were finishing him off while he was in Subaru's body. So I'm guessing Emilia's performance in killing off that finger met with their approval for whatever purpose they have?
Arkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 01:21   Link #48
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Makes me wonder what would happen if he mentions return by death while Petelgeuse is inside his body.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 01:40   Link #49
Arkard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Makes me wonder what would happen if he mentions return by death while Petelgeuse is inside his body.
That's what I was saying. Satella's attention is forcibly called, and instead of seeing her beloved Subaru as usually she sees some freak trying to forcible insert himself into him. Combine that and the glimpses of her personality we've seen so far and that can't go well well at all.
Arkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 02:25   Link #50
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!

The problem with that solution is that Julius and Felix were nearby--and seem to have followed him closely--, so it is possible that Satella would kill them, at least if Subaru decided to go far enough for Satella to use her kill power.

Then again, perhaps next loop, he can somehow get further away from them and try calling out to Satella.

Speaking of Julius and Felix, this episode makes me lament the lack of waifuing as a result of not making them Julia and Felicia. At least we got a lot of tsundere jokes with Julius.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 04:42   Link #51
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Wow, so much regret at the end for both of them. And Felis really plays the role of a woman too well...
And that reminded me of this:
Spoiler for snip:

Anyway, Subaru is probably going to Return by Death, and this time he has even more knowledge of what's going to happen...he might be able to counter Betelgeuse's revival gig...sure hope he does.
Old 2016-09-05, 04:47   Link #52
Applehell

So here all the Betelgeuse VA listed in this episode.

Quote:
Merchant Petelgeuse: Hiroshi Yanaka
Middle aged Petelgeuse (both of them): Nobuo Tobita (might be wrong on this)
Girl Petelgeuse: Hisako Kanemoto
Subaru Petelgeuse: Kobayashi Yusuke
From reddit.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 04:56   Link #53
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

the question is... how far would the time reverts back? go back to our Mr. Apple "save point" guy?
so we'll get a different confession from Rem at the tower again or not?
I prefer they won't repeat the Hakugei hunt again.. it already closed out perfectly

Betelgeuse proved to be an awesome and super-troublesome villain while our Subaru only managed to use only his head to beat him
Best part of episode? I won't deny that introducing Emilia again is good *can't believe that she didn't notice Subaru at all*
Emilia is probably the best heroine (while Rem is best waifu)
Oh well, best part of this episode is the ending obviously.. I didn't expect Felis' tears and burst out ("I have this power to serve Crusch-sama, and not for this!") and Julius' sweet confession ("Subaru! Isn't there something you want to say to me?")
let's be honest... let's just have SubaruXJuliusXFelis right away
They should just be best buddy and it might be tough for three of them to face each other again at throne battle.

Is there a connection between Cult's bible with body transfer? I'm afraid that Subaru fell on this mess because he is holding that cursed bible
quite simple.. so close yet you blew it up for silly decision
it's like when you just beat super hard boss (Hakugei) and messed up at last boss (Betelgeuse) so you lost all your progress and back to save point again
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-05, 05:22   Link #54
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yes, Emilia's situation is brutally unfair, in all likelihood. Because that's the important exception to my analogy above - Emilia likely did nothing to cause this, whereas the freedom fighter did in fact take up arms at some point in order to gain his fame/notoriety. It appears that Emilia is wanted and targeted purely due to what she is (a half-elf with silver hair), and not anything that she's done. Nonetheless, the villagers are truly separate 3rd parties in all of this, so while their position is cold/harsh, it does make practical sense.
This is more or less the issue exactly. The villagers, and no doubt a lot of other people, don't hate Emilia and any other half elves if there are any because they're racist. They hate them because they're dangerous. It's wrong to think of this as an issue of racism, because it's not about superiority or inferiority as is true with racism. This is a legitimate concern of security that, as we've seen, absolutely can and probably will result in people dying in no small number. Emilia is fucking dangerous, but sadly that's not her fault. That's the sad reality of being a half elf in this fiction, apparently. You're just a walking time bomb. Though if I were in her position, I wouldn't be hanging around in the sticks and endangering myself and others when I could hang out in the capital where there are hundreds of knights and guards running around, along with a shitton of mercenaries.

It is what it is though.

In retrospect, there was one thing in the beginning of this episode that bugs me a bit. I get that there was likely an intention behind the whole scent barrier thing with Ram, and her anger and her attempting to kidnap Subaru to question him or whatever, but doesn't Julius' presence there kind of immediately dispel her understanding of the situation? Subaru would have to have the tongue of a god to convince Julius to go to war with Roswaal and Emilia, and even then it's a bit of a stretch. Unless there were some details left out in those scenes, it seems like a minor plot hole. Not that it really matters, because obviously nothing was going to come of that Ram cliffhangar from the previous episode anyways.

Those VAs must have had a lot of fun with this episode. My brain trembles just thinking about it.
Old 2016-09-05, 05:40   Link #55
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
This is more or less the issue exactly. The villagers, and no doubt a lot of other people, don't hate Emilia and any other half elves if there are any because they're racist. They hate them because they're dangerous. It's wrong to think of this as an issue of racism, because it's not about superiority or inferiority as is true with racism. This is a legitimate concern of security that, as we've seen, absolutely can and probably will result in people dying in no small number. Emilia is fucking dangerous, but sadly that's not her fault. That's the sad reality of being a half elf in this fiction, apparently. You're just a walking time bomb. Though if I were in her position, I wouldn't be hanging around in the sticks and endangering myself and others when I could hang out in the capital where there are hundreds of knights and guards running around, along with a shitton of mercenaries.
Racism is definitely a factor here. Remember they did not listen to her warnings the other day because she was an half elf. Security didn't even cross their minds then and just because it has now become problem doesn't change what they're fuelled by. The villagers have a point in the technical scene that Emilia drew the Cult here, but that is not the reality of the situation. She as much of a victim as they are. Not that they see past because of her heritage ties to the equvalient of Satan in their world.

Quote:
In retrospect, there was one thing in the beginning of this episode that bugs me a bit. I get that there was likely an intention behind the whole scent barrier thing with Ram, and her anger and her attempting to kidnap Subaru to question him or whatever, but doesn't Julius' presence there kind of immediately dispel her understanding of the situation? Subaru would have to have the tongue of a god to convince Julius to go to war with Roswaal and Emilia, and even then it's a bit of a stretch. Unless there were some details left out in those scenes, it seems like a minor plot hole. Not that it really matters, because obviously nothing was going to come of that Ram cliffhangar from the previous episode anyways.

Those VAs must have had a lot of fun with this episode. My brain trembles just thinking about it.
Whether Julius was going to war with them or not wouldn't be his call to make, but Anna's so his opinion wouldn't matter much. That and Ram doesn't know him will enough to think otherwise. As far she knows Crusch and Anna are in on it and have fromed an aillance which isn't wrong... technically.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-09-05 at 06:05.
Old 2016-09-05, 05:47   Link #56
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Whether Julius was going to war with them or not wouldn't be his call to make, but Anna's so his opinion wouldn't matter much. That and Ram doesn't know him will enough to think otherwise. As far she knows Crusch and Anna are in on it and have fromed an aillance which isn't wrong... technically.
I was under the impression that Julius is a knight of the empire itself, hence his unwillingness to be associated with the whale and witch cult hunt in an official capacity. Even though he's involved in the selection process, I would imagine that participating in a civil war for the throne would have great consequence for him given his position. It doesn't seem like that fits within the intent of their role as a candidate's knight, to wage full-on war on their behalf.
Old 2016-09-05, 05:58   Link #57
Applehell

Quote:
I was under the impression that Julius is a knight of the empire itself, hence his unwillingness to be associated with the whale and witch cult hunt in an official capacity. Even though he's involved in the selection process, I would imagine that participating in a civil war for the throne would have great consequence for him given his position. It doesn't seem like that fits within the intent of their role as a candidate's knight, to wage full-on war on their behalf.
Not when he's a Candidate's Knight now. In fact he stated last episode he techincal isn't even there as a Imperial Knight but a mercanary. Plus that would apply to Ferris too. As long as the Royal Election is ongoing Candidate's Knights most likely only serve the interests of their masters not the Royal Guard.
Old 2016-09-05, 06:10   Link #58
Traece

Quote:
Racism is definitely a factor here. Remember they did not listen to here warnings the other day, because she was an half elf. Security didn't even cross their minds then and just because it has now become problem doesn't change what they're fuelled by. The villagers have a point in the technical but that is not the reality of the situation. She as much of a victim as they are.
I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion that there's a potential for racism here, and I'm not denying that there is or could be one, but the villagers also have no reason to trust a dangerous element like a half-elf because of her verifiable association with dangerous things. If the villagers outright scorned her because they felt that they're superior to half elves then there would be cause to call them racists or accuse them of discriminating against her, but thus far it seems their hatred and distrust of her is based on, well, their repeated deaths.

Quote:
Quote:
Not when he's candidates knight now. In fact he stated last episode he techincal isn't even there as a Imperial Knight. Plus that would apply to Ferris too.
As I stated though, why the refusal to associate with the mercenary group then? If it's purely because of honor, then it seems reasonable to assume that it would be just as dishonorable to engage in a civil war to kill off opposing candidates and ruin the due process that they're participating in. Even if he's not currently a standing member of the knights, it's probably safe to assume he'll go back to being one after all this business is over.

Though you are right in that Ram may not be aware of him or his character. The assertion that Anna's decision would be final on this manner I do take issue with. If she would ask of him things that would contradict his duties and his responsibilities as a knight, he wouldn't be serving her in any capacity to begin with.
Old 2016-09-05, 07:24   Link #59
Loran Cehack

Dat ending though....

Seriously, how much more fucked up does Subaru need to be? I mean, he beat the raid boss (the white whale) and lost at the last second for the (likely) final boss, While he was thought to be dead... that feels like a Dark Souls game.

On another note, it was good to see Emilia back, but how did she not saw Subaru there? Could she not have gone to him in the woods with Julius and Felix?

Also, Felix/Julius/Subaru bromance ^^
Old 2016-09-05, 08:04   Link #60
The One Above God
Kamijou

Damn, I almost teared up when Subaru was begging for his death and then the ED started playing. That moment really hit me hard especially when I saw Felix/Felis and Julius' reactions about the whole situation.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote