AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-06-09, 15:03   Link #81
Shinen
深淵の者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
ルヴル Ruvuru/Ruburu
"Ruvuru" is really the only possibility, ヴ cannot be spelled as "bu", it is one of those characters created especially to transcribe the foreign "v" into japanese. So it would really make no sense to use this character if the word is supposed to be spelled with a "b". Of couse, it is possible that for some reason the author did it anyway, but in this case it seems unlikely, because like G. Zeus said, his name seems to be borrowed from French.

On another note, how do you pronounce "Dauf" in English? I'm not a native speaker so I really have problems to imagine how it is supposed to sound
Shinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 15:16   Link #82
SimplyEd
Claytard

Well. there you have it then, if the source is reliable enough.

Yeah, i'd also inherently tend towards the "v", still it doesn't seem to hinder a few people to use it otherwise. No sweat, i'll just continue to read it ルヴル.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 07:20   Link #83
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinen View Post
"Ruvuru" is really the only possibility, ヴ cannot be spelled as "bu", it is one of those characters created especially to transcribe the foreign "v" into japanese. So it would really make no sense to use this character if the word is supposed to be spelled with a "b". Of couse, it is possible that for some reason the author did it anyway, but in this case it seems unlikely, because like G. Zeus said, his name seems to be borrowed from French.
In Italian edition, it is spelled Luvr
probably his name is supposed to recall "Louvre" ?
Old 2007-06-10, 09:14   Link #84
Shinen
深淵の者

That is really the most likely origin, the Katakana spellings are almost identical. "Luvr" looks like a good solution, not exactly the same spelling, but looks similar enough. But I suppose this reference is much easier to understand for a French or Italian translator ^^; Or of course, a Japanese one in this case (the translator of the Italian version is Rieko Fukuda, isn't she?)

Just like "Irene" whose name was changed to "Ilena", probably because the translator simply doesn't know the name "Irene"
The names in Claymore are really hard to "recognize", since they are taken from many different languages and countries. But at least, it doesn't seem that any of them are invented out of nowhere. So ... I still wonder what Riful is supposed to mean
Old 2007-06-10, 12:03   Link #85
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Rifle, maybe?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 03:28   Link #86
Shinen
深淵の者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
Yeah, i'd also inherently tend towards the "v", still it doesn't seem to hinder a few people to use it otherwise.
Hehe, "a few people", you mean, almost everybody at least I really haven't seen anybody who spells his name with a "v", only Rubel, Rubul or even Ruburu. I would have tought, Anime Fans being the purists they are, would have realized this mistake really fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Rifle, maybe?
Rifle or Riffle is a possibility (the Katakana spelling is exactly the same), but ... why would she be called like that, I don't really see any connection
Old 2007-06-12, 13:03   Link #87
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
That is really the most likely origin, the Katakana spellings are almost identical. "Luvr" looks like a good solution, not exactly the same spelling, but looks similar enough. But I suppose this reference is much easier to understand for a French or Italian translator ^^; Or of course, a Japanese one in this case (the translator of the Italian version is Rieko Fukuda, isn't she?)
Yes, you are right, she is Rieko Fukuda^^
Old 2007-06-13, 08:57   Link #88
Shinen
深淵の者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore_Obsessed View Post
Yes, you are right, she is Rieko Fukuda^^
Thanks for that information, so that would be one official source proving the similarity between these two words. Need to send an email to Viz's translator and tell him that he can't read Katakana
Old 2007-06-13, 12:23   Link #89
pushpaka

Sorry to go off-topic, but okay so Riful is going around awakening Claymores. Understandable. Also she's doing it via torture. Understandable too, given that no Claymore wants to awaken voluntarily.

My point is what incentive do you think Riful is going to offer the new Awaken, to make them wish to join her forces? Yeah she can threaten to kill them and between Dauf and her, that's not going to be a problem. But what's to keep an Awaken from going AWOL during a battle or even going to the other side. It's not like she could bribe them with money
pushpaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 15:44   Link #90
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Perhaps they will simply join her out of gratitude for helping them to Awaken.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 15:54   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Maybe she can convince them that if they run, she'll find them and kill them.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 03:02   Link #92
Laevatein

Picked up volume 9 of this today. Looks like we're building toward a climax.
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 05:32   Link #93
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laevatein View Post
Picked up volume 9 of this today. Looks like we're building toward a climax.
It does rather look that way, but in an interview Yagi-sensei claimed that his story is going to run for 25 volumes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-06-28, 05:59   Link #94
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Well here only up til vol 8 is vailable for the time being. Been delaying the purchase of the volumes for a while but should be up to date by monday
Sordes Pilosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 18:00   Link #95
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordes Pilosus View Post
Well here only up til vol 8 is vailable for the time being. Been delaying the purchase of the volumes for a while but should be up to date by monday
I thought I would be disciplined enoguh to hold off reading the manga...but damn I went through volumes 10-12 in 2 hours last night and was late for work today.

One thng that also made me laugh was that I thought Riful was a chick...based on the drawing.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-07-02 at 20:48.
hollywoodlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 18:49   Link #96
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodlou View Post
One thng that also made me laugh was that I thought Riful was a chick...based on the drawing.
Eh? She is.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 21:10   Link #97
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Eh? She is.
Oh F...sorry, my bad...I meant Isley. The way he was drawn...he looked androgynous.
hollywoodlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 22:09   Link #98
guess

Quote:
the art in the anime doesn't look as good, especially the faces of the girls and the fights seem a bit lacking.
Really? I think the art of anime is way better than manga. In manga, they all look ugly. In anime, they are gorgeous.
Old 2007-07-27, 03:22   Link #99
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Ah, volume 9 is now in my hands.

Old 2007-07-27, 03:45   Link #100
corkii

Send a message via MSN to corkii
awwz, so lucky. i keep going to the anime store (30mins train travel) when they restocked it in the last 2 days and its always been sold out T_T. there are heaps of claymores fans in Melbourne trying to get their hands on vol 9.
corkii is offline   Reply With Quote