5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-05-12, 12:34   Link #601
kitten320

I might be stupid but I didn't get the whole drama... yes it is evil that he had kept that truth from them but on the other side, they gained immortality and don't feel any different. As long as they keep their gem safe, I don't see major problem with this revelvation.

After all they are not falling apart and eating human brains like real zombies.
Old 2011-05-12, 13:12   Link #602
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

From a completely practical point of view it does seem fine but you can have values don't completely rest on reason alone. For example, QB's cannabalism may seem practical to him but imagine a human doing it.

It's their soul. To be taken out of their body and put in an inanimate object must feel like they've been violated.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 13:37   Link #603
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The other problem also means that their body is disposable. By that extention, it also means that their body is basically unecessary, which reduces their existence into that egg shaped gem.

I surely wouldn't like this prospect either: instead of having a complete integrity with a whole body, having one's soul literally shaped is really not the greatest thing ever.

This also mean that you are by definition not longer the same as the humans in general, even if the body "works the same". Finally, it will involve the infamous issues related to immortality.
Old 2011-05-12, 14:06   Link #604
kitten320

^Without body gem is nothing, so body is needed.

That's the only issue, but as long as you keep gem close and safe there is no problem. After all you still feel everything the same way, you are hungry, you feel the touch... nothing much changed except that you can never seperate with your gem.
At least no one ever noticed the change unless they were told or went through it like this.
Old 2011-05-12, 16:02   Link #605
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
^Without body gem is nothing, so body is needed.

That's the only issue, but as long as you keep gem close and safe there is no problem. After all you still feel everything the same way, you are hungry, you feel the touch... nothing much changed except that you can never seperate with your gem.
At least no one ever noticed the change unless they were told or went through it like this.
You're not wrong in saying that the changes aren't as drastic as they are made out to be (as you said, they never noticed until the truth was thrown in their faces). But even so the changes would have a severe effect on people, particularly in leaving them with the feeling that they're now completely different from other humans (which they are) and are somewhat less human for it (which they are). Take Kyoko for example; since she lived only for herself and didn't care about others the changes were, while annoying since they were kept from her, not a big deal.

For somebody like Sayaka, who made her wish for the sake of a loved one, the realization that she was (in her eyes) inhuman to him would be devastating. So yes they overplayed the negative aspects of it, but only in the sense that overplaying them like that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 23:24   Link #606
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
As i suspected Kyoko couldn't put her money where her mouth was and accept Akemi's challenge and essentially ran away with her tale between her legs. Looks like it's just bullying newbies for her. What a big strong girl we have here. Also her dance moves on the DDR pad this episode reminded me of something in particular.

Anyway I think it's high time for Sayaka to start asking more questions of Kyubey, though the time to do that might also have been before signing the contract in the first place. Why is he so dead set on pressuring Madoka into becoming a magical girl and what's all this talk about his potential? Now he's also trying to pressure Sayaka into talking to Madoka about becoming a magical girl, but isn't there only supposed to be one magical girl per area? Or does he actually want them to end up fighting each other? What's allowing Kyoko to intrude on Sayaka's territory, or is that part of the plan? It's high time for answers here because the contradictions in all of this are starting to pile up very fast and Kyubey clearly has an ulterior agenda. It almost seems like Akemi is trying to protect Madoka in her own particular way from becoming a magical girl, but from what? So far she's done more to aid the MG's then Kyubey has? In fact when shit hits the fan Kyubey seems to be nowhere to be found and his only advice seems to be "make Madoka sign a contract with me?" It's almost like he's baited Sayaka into a trap in order to get Madoka instead and I'm starting to worry about the possibility of her going the same way as Mami.

Anyway it was weird to see the show essentially talk about the same thing I talked about in the episode 05 thread about the girls balancing out their rights and wrongs between each other. Obviously the shows really in sync with my thought processes right now....or is that the other way around? In any case I can already start to see a little bit of this in the way the characters are acting this episode. Akemi is trying to reach a truce with Kyoko by agreeing to leave the city to her, Kyoko actually wants to work together with Akemi to kill what I assume is supposed to be some sort of elite witch, Sayaka is starting to realize that in order to defend herself and everyone else she may have to fight other magical girls who as she said (and I said) seem worse than the witches, and Madoka wants to get drunk some day. The show has really been upping the narrative lately and there's a certain sense of maturity to the whole dynamic that I wasn't really expecting from this show at all. There's something there for the thinking man like me and I'm glad to see that this show isn't just a show for magical girl otaku.

As I write this the girls have all assembled at one location where Kyubey is telling them the truth about being a magical girl. That he essentially places their soul inside the gem as a means to grant them it's powers and that they're actual bodies are just vessels manipulated by the Soul Gem's now. I'm interested to see where this goes now that the truths are starting to be revealed, but it'll have to wait till later though since I'm burnt out of watching anime for the day. All I know is that Kyoko doesn't seem all that impressed which could be a game changer for her...at least I hope cause right now she's pretty insufferable.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madness, madoka magica