AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-26, 20:35   Link #21
TrippedUp

Personally, Poppo isn't really alone. He's got his friends back, and thats all he was really looking for, besides closure from Menma. I don't get why everyone must be paired up in order to be happy. I mean I'd understand if they were actually looking for a significant other, but Poppo was never really concerned about that.

Besides, anyone who saw the finale knows that Poppo isn't alone anymore
Old 2011-07-01, 00:29   Link #22
ubiquitial
戯言遣い

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippedUp View Post
Personally, Poppo isn't really alone. He's got his friends back, and thats all he was really looking for, besides closure from Menma. I don't get why everyone must be paired up in order to be happy. I mean I'd understand if they were actually looking for a significant other, but Poppo was never really concerned about that.

Besides, anyone who saw the finale knows that Poppo isn't alone anymore
Who knows? He suffers from a malnutritious lack of development.
Old 2011-07-01, 03:03   Link #23
deadite

What? IMO Poppo got tons of development. It was very subtle from the beginning. I don't understand when people say Poppo's guilty breakdown was a last minute development. It was pretty obvious he wasn't living a normal life and he jumps into the Menma bandwagon too quickly to be rational.
Old 2011-07-01, 03:34   Link #24
ubiquitial
戯言遣い

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
What? IMO Poppo got tons of development. It was very subtle from the beginning. I don't understand when people say Poppo's guilty breakdown was a last minute development. It was pretty obvious he wasn't living a normal life and he jumps into the Menma bandwagon too quickly to be rational.

True, but development in and of itself is neither clever nor "good." Poppo's issue was hinted at often before, but they never went anywhere with it. Poppo brings it up out of nowhere, and looks a bit guilty, but nothing beyond that. That's forced, generic, completely contrived foreshadowing.

It's a shame, because Poppo really was an interesting character. But eccentrics, in any work, are hard to develop effectively, because they seem so removed form everything. It's hard to make such a strange character seem human while also maintaining his quirky personality. Now, AnoHana had some great development. How the characters played off one another and changed through their interactions - That was the highlight of the show! So Poppo was just a wasted opportunity.

And it's not like it's impossible to develop strange, eccentric characters. Bakemonogatari did a great job with it, for example.

Well, at least Poppo's cry was funny.
Old 2011-07-01, 04:35   Link #25
deadite

I didn't feel forced for me at all. For me it really was building up to that. I'm sorry you didn't see it that way. I like how the show doesn't spoon feed it's audience. I like how they never even showed how Menma died. If anything I feel that it was Tsuruko who seemed like a wasted opportunity. Tehy could have shown how she wasn't close with Yukiatsu in the start and they should've shown Yukiatsu and Anaru being closer during their early years. I felt for Poppo through and through and I could see his pain slowly building up to its final reveal.
Old 2011-07-01, 05:05   Link #26
ubiquitial
戯言遣い

Quote:
I didn't feel forced for me at all. For me it really was building up to that. I'm sorry you didn't see it that way. I like how the show doesn't spoon feed it's audience. I like how they never even showed how Menma died. If anything I feel that it was Tsuruko who seemed like a wasted opportunity. Tehy could have shown how she wasn't close with Yukiatsu in the start and they should've shown Yukiatsu and Anaru being closer during their early years. I felt for Poppo through and through and I could see his pain slowly building up to its final reveal.
Just basking in the afterglow. Digest the show a little and you'll see it objectively. Although, I guess I'm still basking too.
Old 2011-07-01, 05:42   Link #27
deadite

Are you implying I'm not looking at it objectively? How presumptuous of you. I rewatched the entire show again for you information. And I caught many things I didn't catch the first time.
Old 2011-07-01, 05:59   Link #28
ubiquitial
戯言遣い

Quote:
Are you implying I'm not looking at it objectively? How presumptuous of you. I rewatched the entire show again for you information. And I caught many things I didn't catch the first time.
I'm saying that at this point in time, no one can.
Old 2011-07-01, 06:24   Link #29
deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitial View Post
I'm saying that at this point in time, no one can.
Well I guess that's your opinion than. Don't speak for everyone okay?
Old 2011-07-19, 12:03   Link #30
Poppo :3

Hey guys im new!

And as u can tell from my name i'ma big Poppo fan haha XD i love the guy he reminds me of myself but just bigger o.o.

He's such an awesome character! makes me wish he was real he would be awesome to have as a friend :3 wish i could see more of him :< (only on ep 9) is there a manga or light novel that is longer or im guessing this is just the story :P

Anyway! POPPO KIMI HA SUGE NA!!! MOO SUGE NA!
Old 2011-07-23, 09:32   Link #31
salitangibinasura
n00b101

I honestly think that without him (ghostbusters? I honestly forgot the name of their group) wouldn't be reunited.
Not a lot of people pays attention to him since he's just the usual guy who laughs a lot, but I think he's more that that.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:41   Link #32
fazer

Peacebusters! haha ><ghost busters almost sounds as if they are busting Menma
Old 2011-07-23, 09:56   Link #33
salitangibinasura
n00b101

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer View Post
Peacebusters! haha ><ghost busters almost sounds as if they are busting Menma
Oh yeah!!
To think that I tried so hard recalling their name group, ghostbusters!! >,<
HAHAHAHA.