AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-21, 15:07   Link #41
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

hehehe i checked the episode he says he wants to be colonel and be the leader of all the army then he would make all the women wear miniskirts hahahaha.
Old 2004-01-21, 19:21   Link #42
Ventorez
Baka Moonchaser

Send a message via AIM to Ventorez
I was surprised that colonel mustand was that type of person. I always saw him as an experienced leader with a cold calm personality. Yet in that episode hes so...so.. human.
Old 2004-01-22, 01:09   Link #43
CrimsonFury
Behold the Fury

Philosophers stone = creates

Scars arm = destroy's

Not hard to see why he had a bad reaction to it.

That's it plain and simple, what kinda reprecusions may occur who know's.
Old 2004-01-22, 05:46   Link #44
FlyByNite

My guess is that the people of Ishabel using alchemy in the past is right. I think that it become so destructive that they created ways of preventing alchemy from being used and banned it's use. (That's why the markings existed in ancient text for Scar to find and why Armstrong was saying he was able to stop alchemy in it's second stage or whatever).

But the thing about this episode that most puzzled me is that last line by Al about hearing his Mom's voice after that secretary spoke. I thought maybe she was their aunt, but then you could have other even more devious things going on. Like maybe it's lust and she's using their Mom's voice as part of a plan to get closer to them or something.
Old 2004-01-22, 11:35   Link #45
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedwax
It's probably a safe bet that this series will not likely see major distribution in the States, because alchemy really is a sort of an occult practice. "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" became "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for that very reason.
Well that part I'll disagree with. This show is going to be licensed no question, and will probably become very popular. Who knows, it might even get licensed before Naruto. I wouldn't be too surprised to see it on Adult Swim.

And the reason the Harry Potter book got its name changed is not because of the occult. Really, sorcerers are considered much much more occult than alchemy. The reason is that the word "Philosopher" sounds like something that old men with beards and togas are involved in, and Scholastic didn't think that kids would want to buy a book with the word in the title. Personally I think it was a very stupid thing to do, since now people like AKeep and Anbu think (well, thought, for episode one) that "Sorcerer's Stone" is an acceptable synonym for the Philosopher's Stone.
Old 2004-01-22, 11:45   Link #46
SilverHeimdall

Valkyrie Profile, released in the USA by Enix, has way too much occult stuff Demon summoning, homunculus (man-made bodies) of female form and let's not forget Lezard Valeth's tower, filled with runes made of blood, from the philosopher's stone he acquired.

Lezard Valeth is like, a mature and intelligent version of the little twit known as Harry Potter.
Old 2004-01-23, 16:43   Link #47
YoYo

I love the part when Ed and Al are arguing over why he didn't run away from Scar and Al's arm falls off while he's gripping on to Ed's shirt. The way he flailed his arm and leg was so cute. Who knew that a great big hunk of armor could be cute?
Old 2004-01-23, 16:54   Link #48
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventorez
I was surprised that colonel mustand was ....
At first glance I thought you wrote "colonel mustard".

I think I'll start calling him that now.

-k
Old 2004-01-23, 19:17   Link #49
PiePants

Talking

AF-F sub started to work for me again. I'm like thoroughly confused.

Eh, I'm not sure if the anime follows the manga, but is there a chance we will see a story line that takes up a few eps? I'm starting to think FMA is like those pokemon/digimon/trigun (a little) or even Cowboy Bebop (from what I've heard) eps where nothing happens for many episodes
Old 2004-01-24, 04:35   Link #50
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo
I love the part when Ed and Al are arguing over why he didn't run away from Scar and Al's arm falls off while he's gripping on to Ed's shirt. The way he flailed his arm and leg was so cute. Who knew that a great big hunk of armor could be cute?
Hahahaha..... yeah the way it fell down with a plonk was really hillarious.... but I guess I was also touched by how they cared for each other
Old 2004-01-24, 05:31   Link #51
Bedlam
Delphic Babel

yeah, that whole sequence in the end really showed how much they cared for one another... but, going a little offtopic here... i was just wondering, if they do manage to get al back to his own body again... what will he look like? will he go back into the body he had at the age of when his body was taken or go into an older form, or what?
Old 2004-01-24, 15:30   Link #52
polymath

When I'd watched ep 13. a couple weeks back, I was sorely disappointed. I'm glad things are back up to speed. Mustang's ecchi side was funny, but the episode felt really out of place to me. Most of the episodes of FMA are either directly related to the plot development, or develop our understanding of the characters. I think Bones does this wonderfully.

I really like Ed and Al's affection for one another. Most anime show affection either in an almost farcically extreme way, or they show characters that aren't comfortable with expressing concern. I find the characters very refreshing.

I'm not sure about the mom's voice thing. I have no doubt that we'll see more references, though. They pay a great deal of attention to the use of imagery or text to foreshadow. It could be an aunt... who knows?

This show is too cool.

What are your other favorites this season?
Old 2004-01-24, 17:35   Link #53
jayj713

i just realized that i skipped ep 14. so i watched like 10 mins of ep15 and i was soooo confused. then i realized i havent seen ep14....

i'm so stupid....
Old 2004-01-24, 21:44   Link #54
strider_hiryu
A-Class Strider

Send a message via ICQ to strider_hiryu Send a message via MSN to strider_hiryu
great episode...

Questions: What is Hawkeye's alchemic specialty? I've only see her use guns so far...

I want Mustang to become colonel hehe
Old 2004-01-24, 22:24   Link #55
SilverHeimdall

She isn't an alchemist, she's a Lieutenant in the military.
Not all of the military personel are alchemists.
Old 2004-01-24, 22:39   Link #56
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Sun
hmmm..i hope winry gets to be a main character soon...anyway...i didnt really get why ed was lyke WTF after he was told winry's parents had been killed. I get dat roy killed her parents but what does that have to do with letting that old man leave. o.o
Well, you'll get to see her quite soon once again as the next episode trailer at the end of Episode 16 shows her fixing up Al...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polymath
When I'd watched ep 13. a couple weeks back, I was sorely disappointed. I'm glad things are back up to speed.
Well, nothing pretty much happens in Episode 16 either...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-25, 04:12   Link #57
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam
yeah, that whole sequence in the end really showed how much they cared for one another... but, going a little offtopic here... i was just wondering, if they do manage to get al back to his own body again... what will he look like? will he go back into the body he had at the age of when his body was taken or go into an older form, or what?
Wow... this is too far ahead to even begin speculating especially when we don't even know if he will get his body back.. for all you know one of the brothers would have to give up their lives for the other....(PURELY SPECULATION NO SPOILER INTENDED STATEMENT)....
Old 2004-01-25, 07:32   Link #58
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Forsaken102 Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookla The Mok
Well that part I'll disagree with. This show is going to be licensed no question, and will probably become very popular. Who knows, it might even get licensed before Naruto. I wouldn't be too surprised to see it on Adult Swim.
Great good gods, I hope it DOESN'T get licensed in the US. I don't even want to THINK on how they'd butcher it. I mean, the butchered Rurouni Kenshin, and it was on Adult Swim, too- the voice actors here suck, and so do their translations.

I hope it stays in Japan, so I don't have to cringe when I see/hear it in American voices. Let alone how they'll chop it up, and completely edit the storyline, probably. (*shudders*)
Old 2004-01-25, 16:10   Link #59
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken102
Great good gods, I hope it DOESN'T get licensed in the US. I don't even want to THINK on how they'd butcher it. I mean, the butchered Rurouni Kenshin, and it was on Adult Swim, too- the voice actors here suck, and so do their translations.

I hope it stays in Japan, so I don't have to cringe when I see/hear it in American voices. Let alone how they'll chop it up, and completely edit the storyline, probably. (*shudders*)
FMA is/was in negotiations with a US licensor. There was an article in bloomberg japan. And there is no reason to edit FMA except for blood .... And you can always get uncut dvd's unless 4kids gets it. The series is so big name that there are only 2 real suspects for licensing it....
Old 2004-01-25, 20:17   Link #60
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken102
Let alone how they'll chop it up, and completely edit the storyline, probably. (*shudders*)
Bones already did that...
Closed Thread