AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 12 21.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 43.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 18.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.82%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-30, 20:06   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 9 Discussion/Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-05-31, 03:31   Link #2
fallenangelash
Misao-ISM
*Fansubber

Spoiler for Ep 10 Preview:

All in all, good episode.
Old 2009-05-31, 03:37   Link #3
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Mystie's mini series analysis at present:

FMA 1 > FMA 2:
Sense of tone and atmosphere.
9 eps in, I can definitely see the first series adhering to the tone of an episode (or story) a lot better than the second series.
By this I mean, for example today's episode being the one where the brothers fall out for a spell, to have moments of serious tension and then a random 'manga moment' (as I call them) - just kills the mood.
There are times to laugh and then there are times to be deeply moved. That's not to say they don't have them (Winry x Hughes), but I'm already beginning to develop this sense of when I feel moved or tense, some random 'manga moment' is gonna get shoved in there, just cause. :\
To mix it as frequently as FMA 2 has been doing so far, at least for me, some episodes it's really too much (over the top - OTT) given the 1 arc per episode pace.

FMA 2 > FMA 1:
Further development of Hughes as a character:
He has the following traits:
Will drag someone out of the door, with them protesting.
Comes in saying 'yo'. (Though, prob did in FMA 1 too)
Today at the b'day party was just...

Speaking of the 'manga moments' (the jokes and running gags)
Spoiler:

As for the rest, I'll leave to the board.
Was a nice ep overall, 8/10.

BTW: Is it me, or seriously... isn't Scar much more gangsta in FMA 2, voice and all? xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2009-05-31 at 10:57. Reason: edited spoiler out
Old 2009-05-31, 05:17   Link #4
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangelash View Post
Spoiler for Ep 10 Preview:

All in all, good episode.
It only seems that fast because the first anime added loads of original material, and managed to turn 15 chapters into 25 episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Mystie's mini series analysis at present:

FMA 1 > FMA 2:
Sense of tone and atmosphere.
9 eps in, I can definitely see the first series adhering to the tone of an episode (or story) a lot better than the second series.
By this I mean, for example today's episode being the one where the brothers fall out for a spell, to have moments of serious tension and then a random 'manga moment' (as I call them)
As opposed to FMA 1, which needlessly and tirelessly extended the angst for 3 episodes, almost ruining Al's character in the process?

And yeah Manga Scar is just that much more of a badass and ruthless hobo.
Old 2009-05-31, 06:33   Link #5
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

Indeed well you are seeing something much for akin to the original scar then the FMA 1 scar.

As for FMA 1 being superior in any aspect, regarding the current events (first 9 episodes).. I honestly couldn't disagree more. But I doubt a debate will get us anywhere.

Though Twilight, I agree with you're point on the angst episodes that were.. well you described their action fairly well.

As for the speed- with such a massive amount of space to work with (the manga being so far ahead) it isn't unexpected
Old 2009-05-31, 06:40   Link #6
Hellbore

Quote:
Speaking of the 'manga moments' (the jokes and running gags)
Spoiler:
Is thi where he is speaking to Riza at her apartment?

If so, that was him performing a Spit Take, i.e it was coffee (or whatever) rather than blood.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Old 2009-05-31, 06:54   Link #7
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And should really there be a spoiler-filled discussion about future events of the new series, here? I mean, there's gotta be some people who don't know who dies and who lives in the series, no?

Old 2009-05-31, 07:00   Link #8
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbore View Post
Is thi where he is speaking to Riza at her apartment?

If so, that was him performing a Spit Take, i.e it was coffee (or whatever) rather than blood.
I haven't watched the episode yet, but she probably means Hughes asking him about it in the hospital room. I don't think he was bleeding in the manga, but they might've added it here.

Speaking of which, I hope they keep all of Hughes' comedic lines in this episode. He was absolutely golden in these chapters. Well I know they won't, but yeah.

"So you seduced a mechanic? Not bad, midget."

That one especially.
Old 2009-05-31, 07:10   Link #9
Sannom

Quote:
I haven't watched the episode yet, but she probably means Hughes asking him about it in the hospital room.
Not, this one was cut out (the bleeding I mean), they kept the one with Denny though. They should have cut it too I think, because they don't show Denny in a panic calling for a nurse, the effect is just not the same without it.

As for Hughes... well, be happy, they kept everything, except the part with the big teddy bear I suppose that part was already done with the first episode...
Old 2009-05-31, 07:52   Link #10
Kirarakim

Pretty good episode (although not as strong of an adaption as last week) but I still enjoyed it ten times more than the last series' rendition. Finally I get to see this arc animated correctly without the nonsense of Al running around with the Ishbal kid and Scar and them them randomly resolving the Ed & Al conflict during a biker fight.

I loved how here & in the manga it just takes Winry literally bashing some sense into Al and then a quick spar between the brothers. And yes Ed & Al fought a lot since they are brothers and they are not going to let this set them back. The scene when they join their fists together is one of my favorite panels in the manga and I am really glad they included it. It really represents what a strong relationship Ed & Al have.

The music playing when Winry and Hughes were talking at his house was beautiful. I think that was my favorite track yet. I also loved how they did the flashback scene of Ed wondering if Al blamed him. Seeing the tears fall down Ed's face was really well done.

But anyways my one disappointment is they took out this cute scene where Elycia's wind-up-mouse is broken and Winry fixes it with her tools and Elycia is amazed and calls her a toy Doctor.

Anyways the preview for next week looks terrific. I am really looking forward to it.
Old 2009-05-31, 07:55   Link #11
Sannom

Quote:
But anyways my one disappointment is they took out this cute scene where Elycia's wind-up-mouse is broken and Winry fixes it with her tools and Elycia is amazed and calls her a toy Doctor.
I was more amused by the boys who look at Winry with sparkles in their eyes Crushing on the pretty and smart older girl, are we ?
Old 2009-05-31, 09:01   Link #12
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
As opposed to FMA 1, which needlessly and tirelessly extended the angst for 3 episodes, almost ruining Al's character in the process?

And yeah Manga Scar is just that much more of a badass and ruthless hobo.
Didn't ruin anything given as I simply took what was given from FMA 1, so that being Al's character (and given his insecurities), he had a right to freak out.
(And was it really 3 eps? Don't remember)
But it wasn't the length I noted on but the tone, today just chopped and mixed all kinds, couldn't really allow some moments to sink in as a viewer.
(sue me for liking one sad episode to you know... actually be sad and pensive and stuff for the majority of the 22mins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWence View Post
As for FMA 1 being superior in any aspect, regarding the current events (first 9 episodes).. I honestly couldn't disagree more. But I doubt a debate will get us anywhere.

As for the speed- with such a massive amount of space to work with (the manga being so far ahead) it isn't unexpected
If you're speaking with the manga in reference, then no, there's no point of a debate.
Anything I say in regards to FMA 1 on a more positive note than FMA 2 will get an automatic shot down methinks, but since I'm going by impressions of the two anime wise only, it's how I'm interpreting it.
More than one way to skin a cat.
As for speed, there may be tons of material (not that I know any better save for what the latest volume is on sale atm), but then again what's the hurry?
Aside from being restricted by an fixed episode count, I don't see the need to rush tbh, they waited 4 years for this series to appear... :\
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And should really there be a spoiler-filled discussion about future events of the new series, here? I mean, there's gotta be some people who don't know who dies and who lives in the series, no?
Seems i slipped up for someone who doesn't read the manga, (ironically) I was going off what I've seen kinda pass in the previous discussion threads.
Because at this point, FMA 2 is still hashing over the same storyline as FMA 1, for most (there is always the exception who've never touched this series in any shape or form I guess), we've seen the deal 5 years ago hence I mentioned about the death point of things, just as I've seen people refer to the nina arc before it aired this time around, but since I've seen it before, it didn't bug me, nor was it deleted by a mod or did anyone complain iirc.
So a grey area in which I made a error in judgement, my bad.

My previous post got nuked though so a wee bit out of context now to the peeps I'm replying to with this post, I guess...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-05-31, 09:05   Link #13
Ottocycle

May I know which chapter of the manga this episode corresponds to?

EDIT: Thanks.

Last edited by Ottocycle; 2009-05-31 at 09:29.
Old 2009-05-31, 09:15   Link #14
Sannom

From the middle of chapter 13 through chapter 14 to the middle of chapter 15. Add in some part from chapter 16, with Scar. Some parts of the manga that were in those chapters were already treated in the previous episode, mainly the discussion between Hughes and Roy on the phone.

Can someone remind me when did Ed call Winry "Winry-san" in the first series or the movie? The only time I can recall is in the chibi OAV, and I recall Ed being utterly destroyed by the fury of the mechanic. The way he says it here is just hilarious
Old 2009-05-31, 09:38   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
The music playing when Winry and Hughes were talking at his house was beautiful. I think that was my favorite track yet. I also loved how they did the flashback scene of Ed wondering if Al blamed him. Seeing the tears fall down Ed's face was really well done.
Agreeing with you on both points here. I'm glad they used the piece of music from the second episode for the flashback scene. A very powerful dramatic piece, that i'm sure will be used more in the future.

Loving the Winry goodness in this episode. Takamoto Megumi brought her to life well in this episode, delivering many different forms of emotion. I'm very pleased.

Eyecatch voice was creepy this episode. Very creepy.

As for the episode 10 preview,
Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2009-05-31, 09:41   Link #16
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Okay, I gotta say, this episode caught me by surprise. The method of adaptation for ep9 (and from the preview, ep10) is not what I would have guessed or expected. It definitely doesn't feel half-assed or "for the sake of getting through the material" anymore imo, and the decisions of what material to keep and what to skip from the manga is actually very consistent with the tone and emphasis they wanted to put on certain themes and scenes. Pretty solid episode, but the real surprise comes in the preview for ep10, because it looks like they'll be adding in a significant flashback which does not occur in the manga until way later.
Old 2009-05-31, 09:48   Link #17
Vicious108

Quote:
If you're speaking with the manga in reference, then no, there's no point of a debate.
Anything I say in regards to FMA 1 on a more positive note than FMA 2 will get an automatic shot down methinks, but since I'm going by impressions of the two anime wise only, it's how I'm interpreting it.
It only gets an automatic shot down when people's comparison of both series is based on innacurate convictions that the constantly serious and angsty way FMA1 did things is what the series is supposed and has to be like.

Quote:
As for speed, there may be tons of material (not that I know any better save for what the latest volume is on sale atm), but then again what's the hurry?
Aside from being restricted by an fixed episode count, I don't see the need to rush tbh, they waited 4 years for this series to appear... :\
They probably want to get the material already shown in the previous series over with as quick as possible, so as to avoid having the viewers getting bored and comments such as yours "at this point, FMA 2 is still hashing over the same storyline as FMA 1" etc.

I don't agree with it either, but that's how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Pretty solid episode, but the real surprise comes in the preview for ep10, because it looks like they'll be adding in a significant flashback which does not occur in the manga until way later.
I can only hope they won't try to skim through that flashback (while showing it much earlier than supposed) the way they did with the other one in episode 2.
Old 2009-05-31, 09:55   Link #18
Kirarakim

Quote:
(sue me for liking one sad episode to you know... actually be sad and pensive and stuff for the majority of the 22mins)
Well I guess the difference for me is I felt the first series made this arc too melodramatic & drawn out (especially with the addition of Al running around with Scar & that kid.)

Where in the case of the manga/this series it was very charming. Although it seems like it will be a set back for the Ed & Al relationship in the end the relationship becomes even stronger. I think resolving the issue with Ed & Al having a little heart to heart talk after a spar (and some help from Winry) worked much better than quickly resolving the issue during a battle. But I personally didn't feel sad at all during the 1st series just annoyed at how bratty they made Al.

Quote:
Just because you feel they are rushing doesn't mean everyone else does. There have been just as many people who want them to get to the "new stuff' as quickly as possible who see this as all just rehash. And it is very possible that they don't have an infinite number of episodes. There is such a thing as a budget.
Old 2009-05-31, 10:00   Link #19
Sannom

Quote:
Eyecatch voice was creepy this episode. Very creepy.
I wanted to strangle something when I heard it. And since I was the only one in the room at that time, my hand ended on my throat

Spoilers manga. I put it just in case, I don't say anything directly revealing, but you know it could create speculations with a "too good" base. Check the sentence in bold to see what I mean :

Spoiler:

Quote:
is not what I would have guessed or expected.
I always loved "What if?" stories. What were you expecting exactly?
Old 2009-05-31, 10:01   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
I can only hope they won't try to skim through that flashback (while showing it much earlier than supposed) the way they did with the other one in episode 2.
There's no point in showing the whole flashback at this point in the story, so it looks like they'll just show the one which would tie in quite well with the events of episode 10.