Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-03-25, 03:13   Link #41
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
So Luffy's DF is the "do anything" fruit? No thanks. I'll still read and enjoy OP, but it officially jumped the shark with this chapter. It's like a 5 year old wrote this schlock lol. The amount of retcon bs people will find will probably be over 100 examples. Everyone in the world knew Luffy had rubber capabilities. The WG could have killed him within 24 hours at any time... main character ruined imo. It would have been great for Luffy to just be a try-hard with a mediocre DF who became Pirate King

The Hiyori section of this chapter isn't much better either
post time skip one piece hasn't been good. Oda is trying to finish the series so the quality of the writing has been slipping.

I'm not feeling this new power either... it seems out of place. It's like watching the movie "The Mask" or "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"; slapstick cartoonish things in the real world. It does give Oda the freedom to fabricate whatever he wants to fit the story. Although I am tired of the "chosen one" trope
Old 2022-03-25, 03:44   Link #42
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Paramecia can deactivate their powers just fine. Bellamy for example doesn't constantly have springs as legs. I think Luffy is actually the only DF user who could never deactivate his power.
Buggy can always be split apart, even if he doesn't want it. If someone were to cut him in his sleep, his fruit would still work, while a Logia-user needs to activate the power.
Or the women, who works with Buggy and has this all-repelling-skin (forgot her name)… it's also a permanent trait, that can't be turned off.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 04:14   Link #43
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

What a chapter!!! Holy fucking shit! Not spoiling myself this week was worth it; there won't be another reveal chapter like this until the One Piece treasure is revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon
Well, there we have it. Curious to find out the reactions of those who were strongly against the Gomu Gomu being the legendary DF. As I already stated in a previous thread, I prepared myself for it so I'm not disappointed as a result. I knew it was coming.
So I'm gonna have to eat my shoe. Once again I was wrong; it really was Luffy's fruit they were talking about. But its not a complete egg-on-my-face moment. I resisted moving to the "Luffy's DF is special" side because I needed better evidence and I was unhappy with the prospect of needing to rewrite Luffy's power into something else without stronger direct foreshadowing much earlier in the series. This reveal managed to land in the sweet spot of simultaneously not being what I wanted, and exactly what I was hoping for.

Why? His power is still fundamentally a rubber DF; its just the awakening that has extended its capabilities via Luffy's power of imagination; exactly what its been doing for the entire series. i.e. at its core, its still functioning within expectations of what I'd expect an awakened rubber DF would do. As far as I'm concerned, the Human Human Fruit Model: Nika is just a fancy title with some cosmetic changes and laughing. My biggest fear was a complete rewriting of Luffy's power; but that's not what ended up happening. What a relief.

What about Kaidou commenting that rubber isn't supposed to work like that? Didn't amount to anything in my opinion.
What about the lack of direct foreshadowing? The legendary part still only came 25ish chapters ago but because the fruit is functionally still the same as a rubber DF but now its just been given some more freedom, there's no need for some direct foreshadowing on that front.

Thank god that the resin theory was put in the trash. Still need answers on why the WG didn't target Luffy earlier though: that's a big plot hole.

Quote:
Its nature didn't change. It was always a Zoan, the WG and Shanks just lied about it.
I'm still thinking Shanks didn't know at the time. No way they knew about how special the fruit was and just left it lying around for someone to accidentally eat. But knowing my track record on predictions, I'm probably wrong again.

Quote:
Paramecia can deactivate their powers just fine. Bellamy for example doesn't constantly have springs as legs. I think Luffy is actually the only DF user who could never deactivate his power.
That's one of the few actual inconsistencies I noticed about the fruit that I thought no one else would point out. Another reason why I'm not salty about the DF reveal that it actually explains the inconsistency in Luffy's powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Buggy can always be split apart, even if he doesn't want it. If someone were to cut him in his sleep, his fruit would still work, while a Logia-user needs to activate the power.
Or the women, who works with Buggy and has this all-repelling-skin (forgot her name)… it's also a permanent trait, that can't be turned off.
The difference between Buggy/Alvida and Luffy is that while they are paramecia DFs, they are Devil Fruits whose powers are effects: a body-splitting/slippery effect. Its not the same as Luffy who body was literally made of rubber. You'd have to compare him to Mr 3, Magellan, Doflamingo and Katakuri instead. All of them can turn their powers off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314
So Luffy's DF is the "do anything" fruit? No thanks. I'll still read and enjoy OP, but it officially jumped the shark with this chapter. It's like a 5 year old wrote this schlock lol. The amount of retcon bs people will find will probably be over 100 examples. Everyone in the world knew Luffy had rubber capabilities. The WG could have killed him within 24 hours at any time... main character ruined imo. It would have been great for Luffy to just be a try-hard with a mediocre DF who became Pirate King
I'm honestly surprised with how you're taking this. In earlier threads, you suggested that Luffy's fruit was actually the mythical Zoan model: Sun Wukong.

You were closer to the actual answer than that bullshit resin theory.
Old 2022-03-25, 06:38   Link #44
Rainbowman

Quote:
Its nature didn't change. It was always a Zoan, the WG and Shanks just lied about it.
Not sure how Shanks would lie about it (since he was lucky enough to steal the fruit) but the World Government sure lied about it since they knew it’s power all along.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 07:55   Link #45
Blackbeard D. Kuma

The foreshadowing and hints about Luffy's true power have been there since the beginning. Inherited will, destiny, dreams, and freedom are amongst the core themes of One Piece. I don't have a problem with this latest revelation. What I don't like is that, after 25 years of story, only now Luffy is considered a major threat and the WG wants him dead. Since Oda decided to go this route, he now has to satisfactorily explain why this is to the readers. Otherwise, the WG is stupid and incompetent.
Old 2022-03-25, 08:54   Link #46
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The foreshadowing and hints about Luffy's true power have been there since the beginning. Inherited will, destiny, dreams, and freedom are amongst the core themes of One Piece. I don't have a problem with this latest revelation. What I don't like is that, after 25 years of story, only now Luffy is considered a major threat and the WG wants him dead. Since Oda decided to go this route, he now has to satisfactorily explain why this is to the readers. Otherwise, the WG is stupid and incompetent.
Probably only acceptable reason is that it's only recently that they found out that "Gomu gomu no mi" = "model nika" (which is what triggered authorising the assassination). I'm not sure if that fits in with the known data.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 09:04   Link #47
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Welcome to society in general glad you could make it. Seriously though I’ve already grown accustomed towards the villains not living up to their hype unless they pull a Vegeta and decide to join the MC as friends ala Vegeta. So I’m fully expecting the WG/Sakazuki/Borsalino/Teach/the Tenryubito/Lin Lin again, basically any opposing force for the Straw hats to just fall flat on their faces. I’m OK with this development as well, mostly because of the hoes mad memes this chapter will create.
Old 2022-03-25, 09:36   Link #48
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Probably only acceptable reason is that it's only recently that they found out that "Gomu gomu no mi" = "model nika" (which is what triggered authorising the assassination). I'm not sure if that fits in with the known data.
Nah, they knew what the Gomu Gomu no Mi was all along. It's debatable when they found out Luffy had it, but I assume it was sometime after Alabasta. Luffy has tangled with a ton of World Government heavyweights since then so it's not quite fair to say he was allowed to simply run around without them trying to get rid of him.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 10:00   Link #49
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
i think it was shanks who told them about the true nature of the fruit or he told them something... shanks is a bad guy lol
Old 2022-03-25, 10:03   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Not sure how Shanks would lie about it (since he was lucky enough to steal the fruit) but the World Government sure lied about it since they knew it’s power all along.
You think it was mere luck he happened to steal that fruit? The man has been hinted multiple times to know far more than he lets on, there's no way he didn't know the true nature of the Gomu Gomu. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it were to be revealed Shanks reached Laugh Tale decades ago and kept it a secret from the world. Him staying behind with Buggy when Roger reached it feels like misdirection to make us think he doesn't know anything.
Old 2022-03-25, 11:25   Link #51
Kirihara_R

Quote:
What I don't like is that, after 25 years of story, only now Luffy is considered a major threat and the WG wants him dead. Since Oda decided to go this route, he now has to satisfactorily explain why this is to the readers. Otherwise, the WG is stupid and incompetent.
its not that they didnt try , its more like they didnt have the oppurtunity to assasinate him , if you look at the timeline of one piece , the strawhats didnt stay in an island for a week or two and their battles usually only happened in a day .. if you think about it, the wg only chance to eliminate or capture luffy is in enies lobby which Is already impossible since aokiji and garp was there . And after that the wg is already preparing for the war against Wb. In my opinion the 5 elders only mistake is that they underestimated the time and the condition of the awakening of the fruit ..
Kirihara_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 14:40   Link #52
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
post time skip one piece hasn't been good. Oda is trying to finish the series so the quality of the writing has been slipping.
I have liked quite a bit of the post timeskip arcs and even the bad ones had their moments. This is too much though since it ruins the rest of the story, for me at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I think they're both the same in that they aren't ever turned off. Ace and Kizaru were shot and the bullets just went right thru them. Only adding haki or seastone would make a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
I'm honestly surprised with how you're taking this. In earlier threads, you suggested that Luffy's fruit was actually the mythical Zoan model: Sun Wukong.

You were closer to the actual answer than that bullshit resin theory.
I had a few suggestions and one was exactly the Sun God DF. It was clear that it was a mythical zoan anyway. I'm not surprised or anything. When this theory first came up a while ago, I could see the point, but it just sounded dumb and I didn't want it to happen. And now here we are I also think Oda handled it in the worst way with the random rubberness and the imagination bs. He also destroyed Luffy's personality like I said earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
i think it was shanks who told them about the true nature of the fruit or he told them something... shanks is a bad guy lol
Yea that's interesting. Why would Shanks tell on Luffy? Either he's bad or he wanted Luffy's DF to finally awaken which means they had to kill him first
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 15:28   Link #53
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Why didn't the WG kill Luffy when they had so many chances to do so? That's the problem with this whole development here.
Quote:
Nope, they could have easily killed him so many times pre-time skip. Send an admiral after him and it's game over.
They didn’t even know what fruit Luffy had until probably Marineford, it’s not like Luffy shouts the name of the fruit everywhere he goes.

Also The WG isn’t omnipresent and clairvoyant, they can’t track Luffy’s every move.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 15:46   Link #54
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Some additional info came out and the power of the Nika fruit is freedom. Luffy can basically do whatever he wants with his body and the environment, and he fights like a looney toon apparently.

It makes a big difference, because him being the second coming of Joyboy (mentioned in a prophecy) and the owner of a legendary fruit now makes it seem like his whole fate was predetermined. Exact same shit as Naruto.

First off, Being an Ashura descendant did not give Naruto a power boost of any kind until the very end. All it allowed for was the Sage of Six Paths to talk to him. He did not get any power from his dad's side of the family, the only thing he had going for him from birth was Kushina's larger than average chakra pool but literally every single one of his opponents except Obito was also a child prodigy anyway.

Also why do people think the message is "hard work always works!" when one of the earliest fights in the series is Rock Lee losing to Gaara? This is just people projecting what they want to see.

Second, Oda is a japanese man and japanese people care more about family ties than anything else especially if that family is important so obviously everybody in their media is what they is because of what family they come from, and all of their actions and thoughts are the product of destiny rather than their own wills and beliefs, everything is decided from even before you were born, and they love that shit, they can't get enough of it, because it's communal, it's also why westerners hate it, “the individual should be more important than everything else”, their decisions, their actions, their beginning and end should all be the product of them rather than it being decided for them in short, the westenerers misunderstood Oda, which happens a lot.

Quote:
Did you miss the part where Aokiji spared Luffy because he felt he was indebted to Garp? Did you miss the part where Rayleigh and subsequently Kuma saved the strawhats from getting annihilated by Kizaru? Did you miss the entirety of the marineford war where Luffy was severely outclassed by the elites and got his ass saved more than once? Luffy managed to get away alright, but not by his own doing like you seem to suggest.

The point is, Luffy wasn't the threat he is now back then. The WG should have and could have eliminated him when they had the chance.
You just answered your own question, there a lot of interference that prevented that, you just listed them all.

Last edited by Jmariofan7; 2022-03-25 at 18:09.
Old 2022-03-25, 16:55   Link #55
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
it’s not like Luffy shouts the name of the fruit everywhere he goes.
He literally does yell it everywhere he goes.

Quote:
Also The WG isn’t omnipresent and clairvoyant, they can’t track Luffy’s every move.
The WG should have known since the moment he got a bounty poster. Beating Crocodile should have sent off alarm bells. Plus they have an admiral who can move around at light speed and kill the whole crew in less than a minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
First off, Being an Ashura descendant did not give Naruto a power boost of any kind until the very end.
no power boost, but like with Luffy, it takes away the character's agency. Instead of Naruto making his own personality that wanted peace through love, now it's because he has an inherited will from someone else. Instead of Luffy wanting to be free and putting smiles on people's faces, it's his DF, and so on...

Like I said, it's the equivalent of Zoro eating the Swordsman DF that makes him want to be the world's greastest swordsman. All agency and character developed motivation is removed
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 17:11   Link #56
Galaxian

Remember when Mihawk said that Luffy's most powerful asset was his ability to make allies anywhere he went? Yeah, that's not true anymore.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 17:28   Link #57
Homura7

You people bringing up other series for comparison are totally missing the point. The problem wasn't the concept, but how it was executed. This is not the case with this reveal because:

At it's core, the devil fruit is still a Rubber fruit, and...

other than its name and its class, nothing has changed.

"B-But this makes it seem Luffy was always pre-destined to make it this far..." If we start bringing up that BS, then EVERYTHING in ANY story is pre-determined.

But at the end of the day, Luffy still gained that fruit properties for the same reason Yamato gained hers: "I was hungry and there was nothing else".

As for why the WG hasn't decided to act upon till now, an explanation will eventually be given. Just don't expect it soon.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 18:16   Link #58
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
He literally does yell it everywhere he goes.

The WG should have known since the moment he got a bounty poster. Beating Crocodile should have sent off alarm bells. Plus they have an admiral who can move around at light speed and kill the whole crew in less than a minute

no power boost, but like with Luffy, it takes away the character's agency. Instead of Naruto making his own personality that wanted peace through love, now it's because he has an inherited will from someone else. Instead of Luffy wanting to be free and putting smiles on people's faces, it's his DF, and so on...

Like I said, it's the equivalent of Zoro eating the Swordsman DF that makes him want to be the world's greastest swordsman. All agency and character developed motivation is removed
All he shouts is “Gum Gum”, also when does this the only people around who hear this are other pirates or Marine mooks instead of Elites, Smoker never knew what Luffy’s devil fruit was so he never reported it, it wasn’t until Marineford that the Marine upper brass including Sengoku witnessed Luffy’s Devil Fruit in full, which was probably the time that all this was reported to the Elder Stars and they put it all together before the timeskip.

Also Kizaru is not omnipresent or clairvoyant, you also clearly missed the part where Kizaru did try to kill them and Rayleigh stopped him.

You ignored the rest of my post on Naruto, and Oda, It’s also not solely the DF, Luffy himself is a reincarnation of Joyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
You people bringing up other series for comparison are totally missing the point. The problem wasn't the concept, but how it was executed. This is not the case with this reveal because:

At it's core, the devil fruit is still a Rubber fruit, and...

other than its name and its class, nothing has changed.

"B-But this makes it seem Luffy was always pre-destined to make it this far..." If we start bringing up that BS, then EVERYTHING in ANY story is pre-determined.

But at the end of the day, Luffy still gained that fruit properties for the same reason Yamato gained hers: "I was hungry and there was nothing else".

As for why the WG hasn't decided to act upon till now, an explanation will eventually be given. Just don't expect it soon.
These people are just made because westerners hate the idea of destiny and think such things as “Libertarian free will” actually exists, it’s hyper-Individualism.

This has proven the story was never about screwing destiny, destiny is playing it's part here and making sure everybody goes where it's decidied they go from the moment they were born even before they were born even after they die, destiny will just keep putting people forward no matter how much they struggle against it, resent it or claim they do it themselves and to a westerner it feels wrong where as to the japanese it's romantic and based as fuck and they can't imagine who could live without destiny in their lives.

What One Piece captures is the perfect balance, acknowledging that in reality a lot of it is destiny but that for self-fulfillment you can pretend to yourself that it's not even though that itself was also destined.
Old 2022-03-25, 18:18   Link #59
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Or you know, next time don't overestimate the villains, especially if they are 5 old farts who follow the orders of a shadow king shaped like an over-whittled wooden bishop chess piece.
Old 2022-03-25, 19:21   Link #60
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, Luffy became a cartoon (how a Loony Tune), about Kanjuro surely he attacked Orochi because he thought that this way he would find a more suitable ending for his "theater" and Luffy vs Kaido resumes hopefully we will see a flashback of the last, waiting for the next chapter.
My theory, the side effect of Luffy's awakening will be to reduce his lifespan.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote