no, we're passed a stupid face. we're at this phase now:

Old 2022-03-31, 11:56   Link #22
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post

And that's any different from:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Or:

YouTube

How? The Strawhats have a crewmember who's a literal skeleton who can eat, burp and fart despite being just bones, and another who keeps his body running with Cola as his fuel. Moments where silly stuff happens from time to time have been omnipresent in the plot since day one.

Face it, some of you need to do a rereading of the whole manga, coz it would seem you have a serious case of selective memory
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-31, 11:59   Link #23
Gerard07

Looking at the new spoilers, it seems that Luffy really is becoming a Looney Tune (XD), and it seems that his G5 has a time limit, let's see how things are going to turn out.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-31, 18:39   Link #24
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Well the Gorosei were right, this certainly is the most ridiculous power in the world

The abrupt shift from serious to slapstick reminds me of a Takahashi Miike movie, Dead or Alive.

I’m kind of expecting Luffy to finish this with the most outrageous bazooka we’ve ever seen lol. Maybe he’ll blast him to space

It does really seem like things are gonna start winding down after this arc. I imagine a big conflict with the marines and another with Blackbeard on the final island and that’s about it.

After this arc I think Luffy’s days may be numbered like Roger’s were. How long ago did Luffy tell us that the power he received for gear 2nd would shorten his lifespan? And I think the emphasis on Luffy’s heartbeat with gear 5 is just further foreshadowing in this regard.

Last edited by Tommy; 2022-03-31 at 19:03.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-31, 18:52   Link #25
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Crazy Looney Tunes shit. Early One Piece comedy dialed to 11. That's all I can say.

I think we shouldn't force people to like the aesthetic direction of Gear 5th. However, I strongly reject Magin's argument focusing on Oda's health. If anything, this was what Oda wanted to draw the entire time.

Quote:

Images
The Mask
We've been there for a while /s

Images
The Ussop

Last edited by OH&S; 2022-03-31 at 19:39.
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-31, 22:22   Link #26
itachi-san314

I think Oda's taking crazy pills Did Luffy really punch through Kaido's face? It looks like he did, but then Kaido has his face back after. If he turned Kaido's face to rubber, wouldn't the hole still be there?

And he turned the SH's, Kid and Law into cartoons with wacky expressions too? I like Luffy's new design and I'm cool with the cartoon powers effecting Luffy and the environment, but effecting other people is a bit over the top, no?

It's also not comparable to Eneru's face or Nami's angry face because those are cartoon expressions that didn't change the actual person. I'd compare it more to Giolla's artwork DF. I agree that there's precedent for this, but also not really. Doflamingo and Katakuri's awakenings didn't make other people strings and mochi. It just feels like OP jumping the shark when it would have been really cool if Oda just didn't go that extra mile.

And like Kanon said, the Pedro callback was just weird
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-31, 23:43   Link #27
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I think Oda's taking crazy pills Did Luffy really punch through Kaido's face? It looks like he did, but then Kaido has his face back after. If he turned Kaido's face to rubber, wouldn't the hole still be there?
Think of it like finger-poking a balloon without it bursting, it'll reform with no hole too.
While Luffy punched Kaido you see Haki blasts around Kaido's face yet Luffy's hand is white. In the panel after the punch you see the hand covered black in Haki.
It's to show that Luffy's hand was mantled by Kaido's skin.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 04:31   Link #28
patnam

I think Luffy's current form is like The Mask reference..
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 06:52   Link #29
necrolyte

Quote:
this whole cartoon power thing is really throwing off the entire feel of the series for me... it doesn't belong in One Piece.

the Kaidou fight is supposed to be serious with big consequences on the line and we have these stupid goofy effects happening?

is this how it's going to be from now on every time luffy fights? no thanks...
I am feeling exactly the same. I like Luffy's free/dump nature but he has always been completely serious when it counts. I don't want to read Looney Tunes comics, I am here for the OP manga. This is realyl throwing me off even if on some panels Luffy looks damn good I just can't get around the looney tunes' parts.

Edit: Before people start defending this new way of fighting, it's just my personal thought that I don't like to see it here at this critical fight, you can all like it as much as you want

Last edited by necrolyte; 2022-04-01 at 07:04.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 07:32   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

You know, Kaido brings up a good point. We know Luffy's actually a zoan so the transformation makes sense to us, but why is it he can also affect the environment like a paramecia when he isn't one?

Related to that, I've read a really good theory about Laugh Tale: the reason it's impossible to find the regular way (with Log Pose and magnetic fields) is because Joy Boy turned the entire island into rubber 800 years ago.
Old 2022-04-01, 08:00   Link #31
grecefar

I'm sure of something, oda is having the time of his life with this luffy.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 08:39   Link #32
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
You know, Kaido brings up a good point. We know Luffy's actually a zoan so the transformation makes sense to us, but why is it he can also affect the environment like a paramecia when he isn't one?

Related to that, I've read a really good theory about Laugh Tale: the reason it's impossible to find the regular way (with Log Pose and magnetic fields) is because Joy Boy turned the entire island into rubber 800 years ago.
Luffy has a mythical zoan that's incredibly versatile, so perhaps that's the simplest explanation.

I can see that Laugh Tale theory being true. After all, Sakazuki and Kuzan permanently changed the landscape of Punk Hazard with what I presume was the awakening of their abilities.
Old 2022-04-01, 10:31   Link #33
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's more than that. He turned Kaido and his friends into cartoons too
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 11:39   Link #34
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Both Momo and Yamato reach the roof just in time to watch the insanity unfold! They note that both Luffy's hair and clothes are completely white in his awakened form....
So much for certain expectations. Guess that would make him a White Lantern as far as imaginative crossovers are concerned.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 13:10   Link #35
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Okay, summary updated! Heh, I wonder if Oda's been playing some Cuphead or just plain binged some old-school cartoons or something when coming up with with Gear 5? Because the stuff Luffy is pulling off is freaking hilarious! I know some are feeling that this new power may ruin the mood, but this is far from the first time Luffy's used goofy strategies in the middle of a serious battle. Remember Water Luffy against Crocodile?
That's what I was thinking, but he did say in one interview that he enjoyed the movements in Tom and Jerry. I wouldn't be too surprised if he did.

But even better, I still have not forgotten that moment of Water Luffy from back in the Alabasta Arc one bit. Croc's reaction to Luffy chugging that barrel of water was absolutely priceless how they animated that in the Anime! It was like he was going "Heh... Wha... wait, what the- What the hell!?" when that happened.

The way Kaido reacted to the developments with Luffy's DF reveal isn't too different, just more subdued. I don't know if Croc himself would be laughing his ass off if he were watching this, or Moria if he came across this one.

But I was legit laughing at the eye-popping from everyone else (Kidd and Law's especially) when Luffy's head got smashed into the ground.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 13:15   Link #36
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, Luffy became a Looney Tune (XD), and it seems that he infected other characters too, but what caught the attention was that Kaido mentioned that he was using 2 types of haki at the same time (perhaps I did not read enough attention before but I thought both Haki were used together in the end), well wait for the next chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 16:05   Link #37
Homura7

So where has that person who claimed the goofiness was taking away the seriousness from the battle gone to? In addition to Luffy's attacks actually hurting Kaido (to the point the strenght in his knees gave up), Gear 5th is rapidly consuming Luffy's stamina so much he looked mummified for a few panels, and then he took a moment to remember all those who fought for their convictions, including those who are no longer there (like Pedro), before continue hitting Kaido with all his might. Luffy claims he's having fun, but as the Yonkou pointed out, he's actually on the verge of collapse.

Shows that despite the overall silly aspects this portion showcased (something that happened in past battles with the stakes as high), we are again reminded that this is a battle to death.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 18:43   Link #38
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
So where has that person who claimed the goofiness was taking away the seriousness from the battle gone to? In addition to Luffy's attacks actually hurting Kaido (to the point the strenght in his knees gave up), Gear 5th is rapidly consuming Luffy's stamina so much he looked mummified for a few panels, and then he took a moment to remember all those who fought for their convictions, including those who are no longer there (like Pedro), before continue hitting Kaido with all his might. Luffy claims he's having fun, but as the Yonkou pointed out, he's actually on the verge of collapse.

Shows that despite the overall silly aspects this portion showcased (something that happened in past battles with the stakes as high), we are again reminded that this is a battle to death.
it's hard to explain but, for me, there is a line between goofy and full blown slapstick.
honestly i was never a fan of the "troll" face that oda uses sometimes (enel, usopp, etc...). Till this day I still dislike how Usopp beat Sugar; but that's me.
Old 2022-04-01, 20:14   Link #39
marvelB

Late response time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I think he's hoping that the entirety of Luffy's battles don't end up this way, which is a valid concern. G5 Luffy vs Kaido has been silly so far.
Quote:
to me there is a line between goofy and full slapstick (Tom & Jerry). I don't want the latter to be in One Piece.
I mean, I get where you guys are coming from, but it's not like those aforementioned Luffy moments I pointed out didn't also take place during high-stakes situations. Though to be fair, I do agree that having the entire fight be slapstick would ruin the mood, yes. But I think I've followed this series long enough to trust Oda to keep a proper balance between comedy and tragedy..... especially during an arc's climax. Heck, this chapter even had Luffy reciting the names of the people he's been risking his life for this whole time, so it's not like the series jumped the shark as soon as soon as Gear 5 manifested itself, contrary to how many others may feel at the moment. As I said before, Gear 5 is essentially the evolution of all those other goofy techniques Luffy used in the past, and following the pattern of those past fights, I think we'll see the zaniness wind down a bit as the rubber man gets more familiar with his new powers....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-01, 23:12   Link #40
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Late response time:

I mean, I get where you guys are coming from, but it's not like those aforementioned Luffy moments I pointed out didn't also take place during high-stakes situations. Though to be fair, I do agree that having the entire fight be slapstick would ruin the mood, yes. But I think I've followed this series long enough to trust Oda to keep a proper balance between comedy and tragedy..... especially during an arc's climax. Heck, this chapter even had Luffy reciting the names of the people he's been risking his life for this whole time, so it's not like the series jumped the shark as soon as soon as Gear 5 manifested itself, contrary to how many others may feel at the moment. As I said before, Gear 5 is essentially the evolution of all those other goofy techniques Luffy used in the past, and following the pattern of those past fights, I think we'll see the zaniness wind down a bit as the rubber man gets more familiar with his new powers....
if Luffy fights Akainu or something I don't want to see Akainu's eyes pop out or him turn into something wacky... that ruins the entire tone of the fight AND akainu's character for me

that's what i mean when i don't want this "toon" power to be overused and overwhelming