AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-04-19, 21:17   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1047 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

We're back! Credit to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "The capital's sky". Splash is a color page.

-As Yamato tries to encourage Momo to make the flame clouds, the young lord has a flashback of the night his mother sent him back in time. The boy is clearly distraught, asking his mother and Hiyori to come with him, However, a heartfelt speech from Kinemon finally convinces him to escape from the burning castle. Back in the present, Luffy attacks Kaidou with Gomu Gomu no Thunder, but his opponent dodges it! While launching his counterattack, the emperor says that a DF ability isn't the most necessary tool needed to conquer the world.... HAKI is! Otherwise, Gol D. Roger, who had no ability of his own, wouldn't have risen to the top! He then unleashes a powerful variation of Thunder Bagua on the rubber man!

-As the battle rages on above, the people on the mainland are still busy enjoying the festival. Toko hopes her wish will reach her father. Back above, in the castle, Hyougoro and the other samurai are all aware that Kaidou's defeat will mean they'll all plunge to their doom.... but they're ultimately fine with it. Meanwhile, Usopp gets dowsed by the water from Jinbei and Raizou's combo move. As for Hiyori, she discovers, to her horror, that the sea stone nail she stuck inside Orochi has fallen off! The shogun, burning with both literal AND figurative flames of fury, transforms into a beast once more! He then says he hopes Oden is watching as he takes Hiyori down along with him....!!!

-Back outside, Luffy tells Momo that he's ending this fight, and needs the young dragon to move Onigashima out of the way! The reason for the warning is clear.... as Luffy aims a fist as big as the island itself at Kaidou!!! Momo is freaked out, but Luffy says he believes in him....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

-So, it should be noted that technically, the magazine goes on break next week for the Golden Week holiday. However, holiday breaks typically mean early spoilers, so don't be surprised if a new thread pops up next week!

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-04-21 at 12:11.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 08:53   Link #2
grecefar

I knew Roger didn't have any fruit.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 16:50   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
He also notes that DF abilities aren't necessary if one aspires to rule the world....
Maybe note to rule the world, but it is to become Joy Boy like Kaido wanted to be. Tough luck.
Old 2022-04-21, 12:29   Link #4
marvelB

Okay, OP updated! Boy, I remember Oda saying in an interview a few years back that he didn't think Luffy beating Kaidou with a punch would make for a satisfying conclusion to their battle. Guess time has a way of changing people's tunes, huh? Also, I'm kinda not surprised that Orochi isn't down yet.... mainly because we've still yet to see his hybrid form. Also, I've found it most curious that we haven't seen Denjirou in some time.... the person who most closely guarded Hiyori for the past 20 years. What better time than now for him to make a comeback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Maybe note to rule the world, but it is to become Joy Boy like Kaido wanted to be. Tough luck.
Actually, I wonder about that.... I have a strong feeling that the Lineage Factor could make it possible for someone to "cheat" their way into becoming the next Joy Boy, in a sense. I mean, if Vegapunk was able to replicate Kaidou's DF using the emperor's LF, and Judge manipulated his own kid's DNA to give them DF-like abilities (with Sanji being a late bloomer), then who's to say something similar can't be done with the Gomu/Nika fruit? That could even be part of the reason why the WG wanted the fruit for themselves.... to create their own Joy Boy, one they could bend to their will without worry of reprisal....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 15:01   Link #5
Hoodspirit

Colourspread, while looking good, is also uper boring. Franky and Brook shoved into the background like usual, Sanji serving food, Robin reading... I wish ODd would only draw half of the characters, but in exchange make them actually do something new with equal presence.

Kaido keeps beating up Luffy, but didn't take any hit himself. When that dragon gets defeated there'll be barely enough panels to justify the loss.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 19:51   Link #6
itachi-san314

Quote:
Okay, OP updated! Boy, I remember Oda saying in an interview a few years back that he didn't think Luffy beating Kaidou with a punch would make for a satisfying conclusion to their battle. Guess time has a way of changing people's tunes, huh?
Makes me wonder how big Luffy's finishing punch will be against Blackbeard or Im
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 23:09   Link #7
Rainbowman

Highlights for this chapter:

-Color page showing Luffy grabbing the bottom side of Nami’s hammock making Chopper react like a spooked cat.
-Orochi going burning beast mode which looks rather scary like that cover for the Tales From The Crypt story “Food For Thought”.
-Luffy’s castle sized fist to finally finish his fight with Kaidou.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-22, 08:37   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a good chapter, except the Orochi part. Just die already. I was half-right I guess, as while the fire didn't get put out by the water, the tremors caused by it are still what saved him.
Old 2022-04-22, 11:48   Link #9
Homura7

Quote:
That was a good chapter, except the Orochi part. Just die already. I was half-right I guess, as while the fire didn't get put out by the water, the tremors caused by it are still what saved him.
Save in what way? The scumbag is on fire and he knows he's finished. He has all the intention to take Hiyori with him to the grave, but bold of him if he really thought she came to his presence alone.

I like how in the latest chapters we have been revisiting every front that is still ongoing, as it serves to portray that this long and arduous battle is about to finish for good.

But will this be the end of Kaido? Time will only tell, but I have my doubts. We're still in the third act, but a Kabuki play is comprissed of a total of five.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-22, 11:58   Link #10
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
But will this be the end of Kaido? Time will only tell, but I have my doubts. We're still in the third act, but a Kabuki play is comprissed of a total of five.
This arc may not be five acts. Kaido is going down very soon though.
Old 2022-04-22, 12:04   Link #11
Galaxian

Quote:
Oda finally remembered Denjiro and that he doesn't have anything for him to do.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-22, 12:16   Link #12
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Oda finally remembered Denjiro and that he doesn't have anything for him to do.
And this is a big problem with One Piece. Too many characters to keep track of which leads to many of them being underdeveloped and unnecessary.
Old 2022-04-22, 17:06   Link #13
Homura7

Quote:
Okay, OP updated! Boy, I remember Oda saying in an interview a few years back that he didn't think Luffy beating Kaidou with a punch would make for a satisfying conclusion to their battle.
Certainly, because that ain't any ordinary punch. That's an island-sized fist, bigger than even the arm of a giant. With a punch that colossal Luffy can no doubt completley obliterate Onigashima... and everybody inside.

I all seriousness, if you are already familiar with Oda's way of doing things, anyone can tell he was just messing with his readers as usual.

Also, it ain't just a giant fist. Luffy grabbed lightning and the electricity is adding more power into that punch.

Last edited by Homura7; 2022-04-22 at 17:53.
Old 2022-04-22, 18:30   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Save in what way? The scumbag is on fire and he knows he's finished. He has all the intention to take Hiyori with him to the grave, but bold of him if he really thought she came to his presence alone.
You are severely underestimating Orochi. I bet he's going to come out of this arc alive somehow, the worst scumbags always survive in One Piece.
Old 2022-04-22, 22:52   Link #15
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Just doing a vibe check: do people here actually believe the Wano Arc is about to end with this final island sized punch?

On one hand, things seem to be pointing in that direction.

On the other hand, there are key story beats that just haven't happened yet. There's also definitely supposed to be an Act 4 as Kabuki plays almost always have 5 acts.
Old 2022-04-23, 07:25   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Just doing a vibe check: do people here actually believe the Wano Arc is about to end with this final island sized punch?

On the other hand, there are key story beats that just haven't happened yet. There's also definitely supposed to be an Act 4 as Kabuki plays almost always have 5 acts.
I don't know how close, but I'm sure it'll end this year. Kaido and Luffy's fight, on the other hand, I'd say three more chapters tops (excluding any chapters focusing on something other than the fight). And I think people are too focused on the Kabuki thing. Oda doesn't have to follow real life rules. Everyone has been saying that Act 3 of Kabuki plays end in tragedy and that it meant someone important would die or the raid would fail, there are zero signs of that happening.
Old 2022-04-23, 17:19   Link #17
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post

Since you mentioned it, Acts 3 & 4 focus solely on the big battle taking place, with Act 4 being the climax. Act 4 also moves the battlefield to a different location from the one they are now. Act 4 is also comparatively shorter and is the climax of the battle. Luffy is about to smack Kaido with a fist so massive that it will surely launch the Yonkou straight into Wano.

Quote:
I don't know how close, but I'm sure it'll end this year. Kaido and Luffy's fight, on the other hand, I'd say three more chapters tops (excluding any chapters focusing on something other than the fight). And I think people are too focused on the Kabuki thing. Oda doesn't have to follow real life rules. Everyone has been saying that Act 3 of Kabuki plays end in tragedy and that it meant someone important would die or the raid would fail, there are zero signs of that happening.
You seem to forget that the narrator had already announced Kaido as the victor of the battle at the rooftop. What this means is that whatever happens next, Kaido will surely not be defeated there.

As for the tragedy (or big drama) Act 3 might end up with, Wano is close by with the citizens still celebrating. While I don't think Onigashima will fall straight towards the city, Luffy's final attack on Kaido might have undesired consecuences.
Old 2022-04-23, 18:27   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
You seem to forget that the narrator had already announced Kaido as the victor of the battle at the rooftop. What this means is that whatever happens next, Kaido will surely not be defeated there.
I haven't forgotten. The narrator declared Kaido the victor because Luffy literally died. They're fighting a different battle now.
Old 2022-04-24, 16:03   Link #19
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, Orochi managed to save himself momentarily (but what happened to Kanjuro), and Luffy seems to want to decide everything with the next attack, to see how things turn out.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-24, 20:35   Link #20
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
I don't understand how there are people who seem eager to dismiss the whole Kabuki thing when its the key aesthetic of the Wano Arc. There's no way Oda abandons the structure of it partway through the arc.

There is 100% going to be an Act 4. The uncertainty lies in what form its going to take. Will it be an arc resolution and lore-dump similar to Post-Enies Lobby and Post-Marineford? Or will there be something more?

A certain OP YouTuber I follow is adamant that the raid will end in failure and that scenario will lead into the climax in Act 4. At this stage, I still highly doubt that; such a scenario would extend the Wano Arc to the end of 2023. That said, the reasons provided as to why he believes that it should fail are ones I fully agree with: mainly there are things that were clearly foreshadowed earlier in the arc that have yet to occur or be elaborated upon. The big one being the absolutely necessary Kaidou flashback.

This leads me to believe that there's going to be a final complication. I'm not sure what that complication is yet as it appears that Act 3 is wrapping up. The only thing I see it potentially being is Kaidou's Awakening. (No I don't want to hear anything about Kaidou already being awakened. Oda has to specifically call it out.)

Quote:
Since you mentioned it, Acts 3 & 4 focus solely on the big battle taking place, with Act 4 being the climax. Act 4 also moves the battlefield to a different location from the one they are now. Act 4 is also comparatively shorter and is the climax of the battle. Luffy is about to smack Kaido with a fist so massive that it will surely launch the Yonkou straight into Wano.
Do you have a source for this? I've been looking for an English source on the Kabuki 5 Act structure and all I've found are multiple variations of the same limited description:

Quote:
  • Jo | First Act
    • A slow opening which introduces the characters and the story.
  • Ha | Second, Third and Fourth Act
    • It is the combination of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th act.
    • The second and fourth act consists of battles.
    • The Ha speeds up the action leading to a great dramatic moment or tragedy in the third act.
  • Kyu | Final Act or Fifth Act
    • This act wraps up the story in a quick and satisfying conclusion.
Nothing really details what story beats to expect in Act 4 or how long it goes for compared to other Acts. This is the main source of my uncertainty; I don't have any way to set my expectations for the possible ways the story could develop.

Quote:
The rooftop announcement was a hollow victory though. Kaidou certainly wasn't happy with how it ended; and then it took not even one chapter for Luffy to get back up.