AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-03-07, 19:19   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1043 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Yikes, nearly missed this, but an earlier spoiler (albeit brief) is out! Credit to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Let's die together". Ministory involves Oven arriving at WCI with his prisoners.

-Kaidou is declared the winner of the duel between him and Luffy! However, he does not let the CP0 boss go unpunished for his interference, and destroys him! Back inside the castle, Kawamatsu begs the other samurai to escape, telling them there's no honor in burning to death. Soon, Kaidou descends from the roof, announcing that Luffy is dead.... and it's now time for Momo to surrender. As Kaidou continues his speech,, Nami calls him a lying snake! The emperor attacks her in response, but Marco protects her! Kaidou intends to stick to his plan of occupying the Flower Capital, then turning the entire nation into a weapons factory. EVERYONE will become his slaves.... women, children, no exceptions. To him, they're naught but expendable pawns who can be easily replaced. What's more, he says this war will never end until Momo yields to him....

-Kaidou's men are prepared to take out the exhausted Law and Kid, but the captains are protected by their respective crews! Furthermore, Nekomamushi and Carrot also intend to continue the fight. As for Momo, he strongly considers giving up in order to prevent any more deaths.... but Yamato won't hear it. She'd rather they die together, instead! It's at that moment that Zunisha starts talking to Momo again! The elephant says he heard a sound he hasn't heard in 800 years.... the "Drums of Liberation". That can only mean one thing: Joy Boy has returned! At the end of the chapter, Luffy's body, straw hat and all, seems to mysteriously melt away as he has a smile on his face....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-03-10 at 08:44.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-08, 03:26   Link #2
Hoodspirit

Tama tames Kaido is back on the table. :-D

to be honest though, Kaido should be very weak right now, Yamato has been running not fighting andis a zoan. She alone should be able to stall Kaido for a while. Jinbei nd Brook are pretty fresh, Sanji has not taken significant damage vs Queen, Marco had a good long rest. We should be good for Wano 2023.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-08, 08:30   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Who exactly is declaring Kaido the winner is important. If it's that girl from last time, irrelevant. If it's the narrator, it's another matter.
Old 2022-03-08, 10:27   Link #4
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Who exactly is declaring Kaido the winner is important. If it's that girl from last time, irrelevant. If it's the narrator, it's another matter.
It's the narrator.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-08, 11:03   Link #5
Hoodspirit

More spoilers are out.

Really like the Nami bit.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-08, 12:40   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
It's the narrator.
Well, I guess he's unreliable then

Read the news spoilers and Luffy awakens (in all meaning of the word) as expected. His body is melting and he has a "Nika" SFX for his smile. Furthermore, Zunesha confirmed he is Joyboy.
Old 2022-03-08, 13:14   Link #7
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Well, I guess he's unreliable then

Read the news spoilers and Luffy awakens (in all meaning of the word) as expected. His body is melting and he has a "Nika" SFX for his smile. Furthermore, Zunesha confirmed he is Joyboy.
Getting too ahead of yourself, I think. Zunesha's words can have many interpretations, and also, the fact that it was the narrator that announced Kaido's victory is big. The next time Luffy & Kaido fight, who knows if that person will still be Luffy.

Luffy's body is melting into tree sap, the main component rubber is made of.
Old 2022-03-08, 13:19   Link #8
marvelB

Okay, updated the summary! Welp, looks like Luffy's awakening is finally upon us. And he's practically as good as confirmed to be the next coming of Joy Boy! Gotta say, this is one heck of a cliffhanger to leave us on before your break, Oda!
Old 2022-03-08, 13:29   Link #9
Homura7

Kaido says that Luffy is dead. I think that last hit did something more than just knock him out cold
Old 2022-03-08, 13:35   Link #10
Gerard07

Seen the spoilers, it's a good thing that Kaido punished the CP0 guy for meddling, and now there's an all against Kaido until Luffy returns, which will surely awaken its fruit. I think Luffy's ability will still be the gomu gomu no mi, but he will acquire more versatility with his body or create more rubber (similar to Kataguri's fruit), too bad that next week there is no manga, but there is no option, to wait for the chapter.
Question, what happened to Killer? Oda forgot the character? I think it's a good time for him to reappear now.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-08, 13:50   Link #11
Homura7

That one in the last panel is not Luffy anymore. As Zunesha says, that's Joy Boy, or rather, the devil contained inside the Gomu Gomu no Mi.
Old 2022-03-08, 14:09   Link #12
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
Kaido says that Luffy is dead. I think that last hit did something more than just knock him out cold
Yeah, remember the last time Kaidou thought Luffy was dead?
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-08, 14:12   Link #13
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis View Post
Yeah, remember the last time Kaidou thought Luffy was dead?
Can't read between lines, are you.
Old 2022-03-08, 14:21   Link #14
Gerard07

I will defend until the end the fact that the fruit that the elders were talking about is NOT the gomu gomu no mi and the reason why they ordered Luffy's death is because they found out that Zunesha was going to Wano.
Regarding Joy Boy, maybe Zunesha thinks that Luffy is something like his reincarnation or something like that (I hear Luffy's voice that coincided with his awakening from his fruit), well we'll have to wait to see the whole chapter to give a better opinion.
Old 2022-03-08, 14:28   Link #15
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
I will defend until the end the fact that the fruit that the elders were talking about is NOT the gomu gomu no mi and the reason why they ordered Luffy's death is because they found out that Zunesha was going to Wano.
Regarding Joy Boy, maybe Zunesha thinks that Luffy is something like his reincarnation or something like that (I hear Luffy's voice that coincided with his awakening from his fruit), well we'll have to wait to see the whole chapter to give a better opinion.
Zunesha didn't hear Joy Boy in Luffy during the Zou arc, so it goes without saying the cause for this has 100% something to do with the Gomu Gomu no Mi awakening.

While I agree with you that is not the legendary devil fruit the elders were talking about, I believe the change in Luffy's expression is a result of that awakening, and more in particular, of the devil contained inside the fruit.
Old 2022-03-08, 15:53   Link #16
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
Can't read between lines, are you.
Can't stop spouting nonsense in a condescending manner while acting as if they're obvious facts, can you?

Quote:
Zunesha didn't hear Joy Boy in Luffy during the Zou arc, so it goes without saying the cause for this has 100% something to do with the Gomu Gomu no Mi awakening.

While I agree with you that is not the legendary devil fruit the elders were talking about, I believe the change in Luffy's expression is a result of that awakening, and more in particular, of the devil contained inside the fruit.
You're not making much sense. You don't believe that Luffy's fruit is the legendary fruit, but you seem to firmly believe that some devil (Joy Boy) is taking control over his body because... well, because that's what happens when devil fruits awaken, right?

By this point, I personally think that the chances of the Gomu Gomu no Mi being the legendary fruit to be 50/50. Oda seems to have been trying way too hard lately to make it's obvious Luffy has the fruit, but it does feel like a massive red herring as well.

Last edited by Ophis; 2022-03-08 at 16:05.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-08, 19:24   Link #17
Gerard07

Thinking back, I remembered when Roger told Shirohige the story of the "D's" and told Teach that he was not the man Roger expected (I assume he was referring to the new appearance of Joy Boy). In relation to what is currently happening, perhaps what Zunesha felt was not the gomu gomu no mi but a "D" that woke up her fruit near him and felt like Joy Boy.
It might sound a bit forced, but I think that could be it.
Old 2022-03-08, 20:30   Link #18
marvelB

BTW, I find it interesting that the original spoiler summaries placed such emphasis on the "Nika" SFX at the end of the chapter. Recall that Who's Who spoke of a mythical figure called Nika the Sun Warrior during his bout with Jinbei. Seeing as "nika" is also the onomatopoeia for smiling, I'd say there's more than a fair chance that Nika and Joy Boy are one and the same, no?
Old 2022-03-08, 21:11   Link #19
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Welp, looks like its all coming to a head now. This might be a major turning point for the entire series.
Old 2022-03-09, 08:05   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Looking at it closer, it actually looks like Luffy is evaporating rather than melting.