AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-10-11, 10:55   Link #961
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
And yet we forget that as the game progresses Avan improves from -10 to straight Cs to become a B and As student.
Lanseal only uses a three-letter system. Cs are presumeably 65-70% and below, in American terms.

In the U.S., he'd get an F. If he were at West Point, he'd kicked out.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 03:25   Link #962
jwai

Actually, while he did get B's and A's in the end, there were still a few C's. Some improvement, but not a complete turnaround.

- I've started playing the game again from scratch, and I'm aiming to take things more slowly this time, since the game is actually much longer than I thought the first time around. However, it's easier to get the required credits for changing class this time, now that I know what exactly I need to do. Being able to quickly class change by March is pretty cool.

- When exactly are you able to win the Captured AA Gatling turret? I tried beating the ace in March that has it, but I didn't get one. Guess I'm a bit too early.

- How do you guys use the Mortarer classes? I didn't bother upgrading any Lancers to Mortarers the last time around because I didn't feel the need for blast weapons outside of grenades and the odd tank mortar round, since the enemies don't bunch up all that often, and Fencers and flamethrowers can take out several targets at once (albeit at point blank range and with the chance to evade).

Last edited by jwai; 2010-10-12 at 05:48.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 09:55   Link #963
Shadow5YA

Yeah, I'm not digging the epilogues. Maybe I was spoiled by the first game.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 12:22   Link #964
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Mortars are useful for long range IDF onto V2s. At the start, unless you've got snipers or can sneak up on them, Mortars are your best bet to take out V2s - and since they use a blast round, there's no return fire from the V2s.

Later on though, Gunners become more useful against V2s; I try and sneak a gunner between V2s and have someone shoot the V2 with the gunner supporting; usually the V2 will orient towards my main attacker, leaving himself exposed to the side or back to my Gunner.

But generally speaking, Captured AA Gatling Turret = one shot one kill against V2s.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 14:58   Link #965
Dextro
He Without a Title

Ok now that you guys are all finished the game I've finally gotten my copy and am about to start. I have no previous experience from VC1 (since I don't have a PS3 sadly) so let's see how it goes.

Be back in a couple of weeks :P
Old 2010-10-15, 09:29   Link #966
jwai

I've been experimenting with Rene as a Mortarer, but it's been a bit a steep learning curve.

- Having long range is both good and bad. Good in the sense that shorter ranged units can't reach you when you attack, but bad when you are running around under fire trying to move further back because the target is closer than the minimum range.

- You can kill or severely damage most infantry with a single mortar round, but if you run out of rounds and don't have anyone close by to provide intercepting fire during the enemy phase, you are more or less screwed. Rene appears to have no potentials that refill ammo, so this is a big consideration.

- The AI has a tendency to bunch up its units if they are all about to surround a single unit, which is pretty damn funny if you have a mortar round waiting for them. The trouble is keeping that single unit alive for long enough to keep all the targets in place.

I've since also picked up two Captured AA Gatling turrets. The only difference between the two of them is that one is a lot larger, and has a better Gatling. However, when I say its larger, it's practically a Heavy Tank turret, and it looks a bit ridiculous when you have a giant turret with a really long gun attached to a Light Tank chassis (Dextro, you'll soon discover that the Light Tank that uses only 1CP is frigging awesome). However, with a weight of only 2, it does work.
Old 2010-10-16, 10:10   Link #967
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I've since also picked up two Captured AA Gatling turrets. The only difference between the two of them is that one is a lot larger, and has a better Gatling. However, when I say its larger, it's practically a Heavy Tank turret, and it looks a bit ridiculous when you have a giant turret with a really long gun attached to a Light Tank chassis (Dextro, you'll soon discover that the Light Tank that uses only 1CP is frigging awesome). However, with a weight of only 2, it does work.
Indeed it is, just gotten it and it's my go-to vehicle now. I was using the heavy before for sheer firepower but being able to use it twice for the same CPs more than makes up for it.

Anyways now I'm trying to think of a way to tackle the story mission in April: damn that Baldren is annoying, he just keeps popping up and killing everyone, the guy is fast and strong :S
Old 2010-10-24, 07:54   Link #968
jwai

Woohoo! I managed to clear the August chapter mission better than the first time. This time, while I had two guys go down, nobody got hospitalised, and I managed to take out Dirk and everything else on the map.

A few other things:

It's actually better not to aim for the head using Gunners. Aim at around chest/shoulder height, where the target has more body mass for you to saw right through them.

I've recently started to muck around with some of the infantry weapons obtained through blueprints. The big tip is to build only one weapon at a time, because the weapons have several branches of their own, and you don't want to be blowing your materials inventory producing weapons that have better versions straight after you first build them. Of the ones I've bothered building, I found the following ones to be good:

- Rifles: The S-type rifles give a significant upgrade to range. However, the rifles that have greater ROF may be useful if you get into lots of situations where you want one more shot to finish off a target that turn.
- Sniper Rifles: The A-type sniper rifles tend to have greater power than the normal Gallian types. If you use Snipers a lot, you'd be silly not to use these.
- Machine Guns: The S-types give much better power, accuracy and range, but at the cost of ROF (45 shots as opposed to 50-60). On one hand, most of the extra shots would have been wasted with the spray pattern of fire, but with 45 shots, the consequences of completely missing are more annoying. Jury is still out on this one.
Old 2010-10-24, 12:44   Link #969
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Well, I've used just about every weapon in the game. This hype about Light Tank A, is, IMHO, overblown. Heavy Tank B for the win!
Old 2010-10-26, 01:16   Link #970
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I dunno, I like having Light Tank B as a 1CP roving attacker.

Regards Gunners - when they attack on their own turns they spray in an arc, very much like current suppresive fire doctrine - line them up nicely and you can kill upwards of 3 or more troops, if you're lucky.

When acting as support fire or interception, they'll focus all of their fire onto the target - few things sneak past a gunner or Elite Gunner.

Also, heavy gunners can kill V2s in one salvo.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-10-26, 04:06   Link #971
jwai

The Light Tank is actually quite sturdy once you grasp when to retreat it. You nail everything in sight that can possibly damage your tank and let the co-ax Gatling sort out the rest in the enemy phase. If you can't kill all the threats in your own phase, make sure you have a CP spare to retreat. If you do it right, it means that the AI either never has anything that can damage your tank, or is unable to target it because its in reserve or elsewhere. I imagine that kind of hit and run strategy would piss off human opponents though.

I'm back to using Machine Guns that have more ROF. I found the Gunners were missing far too often using the S-type guns, due to having less shots in the spray.

If you're all about the spray and hitting multiple guys, I prefer using flamethrowers for that. Sure, you can't use those for intercepting fire, but I prefer to engage the enemy first rather than defend.
Old 2010-10-26, 11:36   Link #972
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
If you're all about the spray and hitting multiple guys, I prefer using flamethrowers for that. Sure, you can't use those for intercepting fire, but I prefer to engage the enemy first rather than defend.
I consider the enemy turn wasted if I didn't have at least three kills. ^_^
Old 2010-10-26, 14:44   Link #973
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I dunno, I like having Light Tank B as a 1CP roving attacker.

Regards Gunners - when they attack on their own turns they spray in an arc, very much like current suppresive fire doctrine - line them up nicely and you can kill upwards of 3 or more troops, if you're lucky.

When acting as support fire or interception, they'll focus all of their fire onto the target - few things sneak past a gunner or Elite Gunner.

Also, heavy gunners can kill V2s in one salvo.
I second this: the 1cp tank is awesome when you don't need to use the tank as cover for your troops. If you just need it to take out tough targets fast the small CP cost is a life-saver (like for example taking down Baldren or Juliana).

Also the Gunners have awesome staying power, when I need to defend a point I usually go for one of them accompanied by a shocktropper (like avan for the extra CP) since the AI sends mostly scouts to cap and those drop like flies with a gunner raining fire on them.

It's true they aren't very good on the offensive role unless you get 2 or 3 enemies lined up but they more than make up for it on the defensive role.

Now a class I'm really trying to figure out how to use is the mortar class (don't recall the name).
Old 2010-10-26, 16:25   Link #974
Solecs

So I finally broke down and bought a refurbed psp online (didn't want to splurge on a new one since there are a lot of rumors for psp2). Hopefully it gets here sometime this week and I can give it a go .

As a side note, are there any perks for having a cleared VC1 save on the PS3?
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 17:34   Link #975
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
So I finally broke down and bought a refurbed psp online (didn't want to splurge on a new one since there are a lot of rumors for psp2). Hopefully it gets here sometime this week and I can give it a go .

As a side note, are there any perks for having a cleared VC1 save on the PS3?
If you have a save from VC1 you can import it into the game to unlock Isara Gunther as well as Isara's Dream sticker for the tank or you can just use the code to do the same
Old 2010-10-26, 18:28   Link #976
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
The Light Tank is actually quite sturdy once you grasp when to retreat it. You nail everything in sight that can possibly damage your tank and let the co-ax Gatling sort out the rest in the enemy phase. If you can't kill all the threats in your own phase, make sure you have a CP spare to retreat. If you do it right, it means that the AI either never has anything that can damage your tank, or is unable to target it because its in reserve or elsewhere. I imagine that kind of hit and run strategy would piss off human opponents though.

I'm back to using Machine Guns that have more ROF. I found the Gunners were missing far too often using the S-type guns, due to having less shots in the spray.

My strategies generally call for having more firepower down than a simple Light Tank can provide. While the captured AA Gat. turret does bring a lot more power than normally available, I actually use utility turrets because I use mortars fairly often (to clear out defended areas). Heavy Tank B also has enough health that it can simply take damage without having to retreat. I generally don't shoot for mobility either.

Also, I doubt a human player would get a chance to enact that strategy - I also use my heavy tank on defense, and give it heavy armor and spare parts. My turn rolls around, and I can simply one-shot everything - sometimes, I even use the A-Armor Spec gun.

Concerning Gunners, I actually have enough captured MGs that are both accurate and have high magazine counts. I've actually managed to get Baldren's intercept gun (which he fires like an SMG, proving how overpowered Gunners could have been).
Old 2010-10-27, 11:48   Link #977
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

....How the hell did you manage that and what's Baldren's intercept gun called?

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-10-27, 12:42   Link #978
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
....How the hell did you manage that and what's Baldren's intercept gun called?
Gondul gX (X being the number) are considerably more accurate, powerful, and have larger magazine counts than the Hurricanes the player can use. I've identified it as being Baldren's gun because Baldren uses an MG-42 look-alike. I acquired it by completing higher-level paid missions. It's insanely powerful, even fired Gunner-style.
Old 2010-10-29, 16:51   Link #979
Solecs

I've been playing the last couple of days and I'm really enjoying the game so far. The story and presentation are weaker than VC1, but the overall gameplay is a big improvement I think.

I've almost finished March and am working on some character missions right now. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing they let you replay missions, since I can't help but replay missions to get A ranks. The only mission I have less than an A rank is that field test at the beginning that I can't replay .

Also, fencers are freaking amazing. I've got Alexis tearing through the enemy, it's awesome.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 02:16   Link #980
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Gondul gX (X being the number) are considerably more accurate, powerful, and have larger magazine counts than the Hurricanes the player can use. I've identified it as being Baldren's gun because Baldren uses an MG-42 look-alike. I acquired it by completing higher-level paid missions. It's insanely powerful, even fired Gunner-style.
Don't think it's the Gondul series. Gonduls would be the sniper rifles, based on the single one I currently have on my game.