AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-05, 09:04   Link #5861
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Dude, you guys think there's a New England bias? Maybe I can't see it as a more casual fan of New England themselves, but I think they've been getting shafted for years. They always seemed to be playing the Colts at home back in the day. Then in '02 they didn't even make the playoffs due to some incomprehensible technicality like the one you're referring to (I don't get that either).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 09:09   Link #5862
GDB

There's a rule called The Brady Rule. That should explain well enough that there's a bias.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 09:14   Link #5863
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
There's a rule called The Brady Rule. That should explain well enough that there's a bias.
C'mon, you think a rule to protect QB's knees is sign of a bias? Seems more like the NFL having a common sense moment when they saw him go down that season and didn't want to see other stars meet the same fate. If anything that rule is part of the NFL's offensive bias of the past decade than anything else. The Patriots used to be much more defensively based when they actually won Superbowls as opposed to going and slipping against the Giants...
Old 2012-12-05, 12:41   Link #5864
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I personally don't know if there's any bias, I'm just having fun with it
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 12:45   Link #5865
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

*shrug* As long as the Falcons don't win the big one, I'm fine with it. But watching Big Blue dismantle the Patriots twice was quite enjoyable. ^^
Old 2012-12-05, 14:14   Link #5866
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
C'mon, you think a rule to protect QB's knees is sign of a bias? Seems more like the NFL having a common sense moment when they saw him go down that season and didn't want to see other stars meet the same fate. If anything that rule is part of the NFL's offensive bias of the past decade than anything else. The Patriots used to be much more defensively based when they actually won Superbowls as opposed to going and slipping against the Giants...
There is also the Tuck rule game. That screwed the Raiders.
Old 2012-12-05, 14:27   Link #5867
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
There is also the Tuck rule game. That screwed the Raiders.
I was at that game (woo, lol). Definitely a lucky break for the Patriots, but that was before they had won anything so I don't know if you could count it as a Patriots-bias.
Old 2012-12-05, 14:40   Link #5868
GDB

Depends on if they had already decided that Brady would be their darling or not. No one can say for sure at that point, though.
Old 2012-12-05, 16:36   Link #5869
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Depends on if they had already decided that Brady would be their darling or not. No one can say for sure at that point, though.
I know you'll disagree, but I think Manning has been the NFL's darling. Brady was just too good and they had to jump ship for him. Back when they were actually winning Super Bowls everyone was always picking against the Pats. And I remember quite well how no one gave them a chance in 2001. I guess when you're looking from the outside in you think times over here were always good, but I remember people wearing bags on their heads at Patriots games when I was a kid. If Bledsoe didn't go down Brady wouldn't have even been starting in 2001 so I hope your hatred hasn't blinded you too much to reality my friend.
Old 2012-12-05, 19:46   Link #5870
GDB

I know the Pats used to suck the hard one, and they're on the way back to that once Brady retires as things currently stand. And once that happens, since Peyton will retire as well by then, they'll have to go back to their backup bias: the Steelers (assuming the Steelers don't piss them off by then) or Giants (Mara seems to have Goodell wrapped around his pinky).
Old 2012-12-05, 20:18   Link #5871
sky black swordman

Quote:
I was at that game (woo, lol). Definitely a lucky break for the Patriots, but that was before they had won anything so I don't know if you could count it as a Patriots-bias.
I think you can. It was the start of the Patriots-bias. And the Raiders were the first to experience it.
Old 2012-12-05, 20:45   Link #5872
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

There was no reason for Patriot bias at the time, Brady wasn't a superstar and the Pats weren't some NFL legendary team. The Raiders-Rams would have been the more TV and media friendly match-up.

Not saying there isn't bias now, but there was no basis back in 2001. Hell, the Pats missed the playoffs the very next year.

Quote:
I know the Pats used to suck the hard one, and they're on the way back to that once Brady retires as things currently stand. And once that happens, since Peyton will retire as well by then, they'll have to go back to their backup bias: the Steelers (assuming the Steelers don't piss them off by then) or Giants (Mara seems to have Goodell wrapped around his pinky).
Did they?

Playoff appearances: 1976, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011,

And the years they missed during the Pete Carroll Era were last week eliminations. That's not terrible at all.

[Bolded are Super Bowl appearances.]

Last edited by Dilla; 2012-12-05 at 21:01.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 21:15   Link #5873
GDB

Hrmm, thought there was a bigger gap in the 80s and 90s. How freaking spoiled are those New Englanders that they would wear bags on their heads for that?
Old 2012-12-05, 22:21   Link #5874
ChainLegacy
廉頗

No Superbowl wins in franchise history until 2001 might have been the reason. Bledsoe era was the beginning of their ascent, but still was tumultuous other than 97. I know some teams have it worse, but New England has a really big pro sports market.
Old 2012-12-06, 00:27   Link #5875
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Hrmm, thought there was a bigger gap in the 80s and 90s. How freaking spoiled are those New Englanders that they would wear bags on their heads for that?
To be fair, it's those fans that keep the organization on their toes. If the fans don't show displeasure, then you get. . .well, my favorite team, the Carolina Panthers.

Have people still walking around proudly wearing their 2003 NFC Conference Champions tees like they still mean shit. So instead of making moves, the owner held on too long to fan favorites long after their usefulness, like Jake Delhomme and Mike Rucker. And threw money at a core that went 2-14 two years ago (only one player that got paid is earning it, Charles Johnson).
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 09:40   Link #5876
GDB

Quote:
No Superbowl wins in franchise history until 2001 might have been the reason. Bledsoe era was the beginning of their ascent, but still was tumultuous other than 97. I know some teams have it worse, but New England has a really big pro sports market.
Vikings still don't have a Super Bowl win, and they've been around for over 50 years. I don't see their fans wearing bags on their heads. New England is just uppity.
Old 2012-12-06, 15:57   Link #5877
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
NO @ ATL: New Orleans (Because The Saints troll that way)
Wow, the Alien Space Bats are doing really good this year…

Quote:
JAX @ BUF: Buffalo (I don't want to touch this pile of shit)
Another muddle for Toronto.

Quote:
SEA @ CHI: Tossup (Another titanic defensive struggle, should be interesting)
It's so refreshing to see to see the NFC West so competitive for the first time in forever.

Quote:
SF @ STL: St. Louis (Crazy pick, partly out of frustration, partly because they almost trolled us)
Bye Bye David Akers. Hello Epic QB controversy! (And Fuck you GARbaugh)

Quote:
NE @ MIA: New England (And Miami's season goes down the tubes)
If it makes Dolphins fans feel better (all 3,000 of them), at least your team looked good. That counts for something.

Quote:
ARI @ NYJ: Tossup (Finally a win! But for who? You decide!)
And the New Jersey comedy goes on…

Quote:
IND @ DET: Indianapolis (wlekjravdfn jwkleagnvo)
nheirdghfijvsanjsfknt!

Quote:
MIN @ GB: Minnesota (And all hell breaks loose in the NFC North, again)
The Pack WTF into the top of the division, again.

Quote:
HOU @ TEN: Houston (My, how times have changed…)
I can't believe this team used to suck…

Quote:
CAR @ KC: Carolina (Because The Chiefs are playing for #1)
No jokes or snark here for The Chiefs, they needed a little sunshine to ease the pain and they got it.

Quote:
TB @ DEN: Tampa Bay (A few bumps in the road…)
Boo!

Quote:
CLE @ OAK: Tossup (Who wants Manti Te'o more badly at this point?)
And with the Rolando McClain brouhaha, and now this, our answer is getting clearer. It's going to be interesting offseason for The Raiders.

Quote:
CIN @ SD: Cincinnati (Say hello to the soon to be Los Angles Whatevers)
Cincy. Now this is team that has a bright future ahead of it.

Quote:
PIT @ BAL: Baltimore (And it will be painful)
And for one last night, Charlie Batch got to be the hero.

Quote:
PHI @ DAL: Dallas (HOPE SPOT!)
Wow-

Quote:
NYG @ WSH: Washington (CRAZY PICK!)
-this is turning into a nice three-way cluster-fuck, it's a pity that this is going to end in disaster for two of these teams.

And here's week 14:

DEN @ OAK: Denver (Peyton Manning, I hope your surgically repaired neck steps on a lego)

STL @ BUF: St. Louis (For the phantom playoff chances!)

DAL @ CIN: Cincinnati (And The Bengals pull off the impossible)

KC @ CLE: Cleveland (The Browns begin a promising finish)

TEN @ IND: Indianapolis (And The Ugly gets his playoff berth)

CHI @ MIN: Minnesota (The Bears can't win against winning teams, and The Vikings technically still have one)

PHI @ TB: Tampa Bay (And the demolition derby goes on)

BAL @ WSH: Washington (CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY PICK!!!!!!!!!!)

ATL @ CAR: Atlanta (Though once again, this is going to be insane)

NYJ @ JAX: Jacksonville (I need to puke in the corner again)

SD @ PIT: San Diego (Won't do shit for Norv Turner's job security)

MIA @ SF: Miami (Bring back Alex!)

ARI @ SEA: Arizona (Because yeah)

NO @ NYG: Tossup (Should be eventful)

DET @ GB: Tossup (Same)

HOU @ NE: Tossup (Couldn't have scheduled it better myself)
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 17:20   Link #5878
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
BAL @ WSH: Washington (CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY PICK!!!!!!!!!!)
Even though I'm a Baltimore fan, I'm not going to say this is that crazy. The Ravens D is banged up. Suggs is injured again and may or may not be able to play this week. Our run defense can't stop a bloody nose. No matter how bad Washington's secondary is, our receivers have what appears to be terminal cases of butterfingers. And it's away, so Flacco will only be at 65% at best.
Old 2012-12-06, 17:31   Link #5879
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Playoff appearances: 1976, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011,

And the years they missed during the Pete Carroll Era were last week eliminations. That's not terrible at all.

[Bolded are Super Bowl appearances.]
And you didn't bold 1985? I don't blame you.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 20:46   Link #5880
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Even though I'm a Baltimore fan, I'm not going to say this is that crazy. The Ravens D is banged up. Suggs is injured again and may or may not be able to play this week. Our run defense can't stop a bloody nose. No matter how bad Washington's secondary is, our receivers have what appears to be terminal cases of butterfingers. And it's away, so Flacco will only be at 65% at best.
Nah, I know that. I was trying pull off a gag by being overblown.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports