AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-08-09, 07:35   Link #1
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Entertain me.

Well well...I am bored...that's about the only reason I'm here, eh?

While I'm busy translating Accel World and waiting on Sword Art Online V13, does anyone know of a good series to take up? Currently I'm one more episode from finishing Index I, and scouting for Railgun I...but here's what I'd really like to look for.

Accel World captured my heart and soul (and then some) because the protagonist went through genuinely tough phases of suffering, recovery, and growth, striking a far deeper chord than a Gary Stu embodiment like Kirito ever could. While I do have my own complaints about how long the LN is running without much chronological movement, it's a separate matter.

With that in mind, do you guys know of a similarly good and 'deep' series that has strong character development? I'd prefer in that order LN, manga, and anime for ease of following the series on my phone.
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 11:38   Link #2
kitten320

Manga:

GTO - while MC is not the one who develops, side characters go through a lot. Onizuka is the one who helps them. Not action but great comedy/drama series.

Rosario + Vampire - MC starts as a complete loser who constantly needs to be saved. However, gradually he develops into one of the coolest charas.

Naruto - main chara has been hated his whole life because a demon fox is sealled inside of him. Naruto strives to become top ninja in the village. Series follow his growth.

Anime:
Ao no Exorcist - main hero is disliked by almost everyone because he is violent. To make it worse he happens to be Satan's son.
I heard manga differs but duno how good it is.

Arata Kangatari - Arata has been bullied for most of his life until one day he switches places with another Arata from different world. However, Arata 2 is wanted for treason and now poor Arata 1 has to fight for his survival and become stronger.

Guilty Crown - a must for you since MCs are very similar. Even seiyu is the same.

Kokoro Connect - 5 friends get into difficult situation. Heartseed keeps messing up with theirl lifes, first is body switching. Becausse of that a lot of hidden truth gets revealed what puts their friendship and personality under risk.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - Japanese tourist gets obducted and put before a choise: die or train to become an assassin. Quirt deep series.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - a group of people befriends each other in prison. Series follow their life while in prison and after. Strong series.

Zetsuen no Tempest - 2 guys, one girl. Boyfriend and brother... girl is dead and world about to end. Brother strives for revenge and agrees to help Hakaze to save the world (girl magician stuck on an island) in exchange for her to find the killer. His best friend joins him in the quest who happens to be the boyfriend about whom no one knows.
Old 2013-08-09, 18:04   Link #3
Tenzen12

Kamisama no Memo-chou - Mystery genre about slightly associal guy who become part of Neet detective agenture. There is anime but due different chronology of events and lack of descriptive insights it lack in character development department. LN is exeptional in it though.

PlanetES You will got slice-of-life story of space Garbage collectors, with "Hachimaki" man with imposible dream earn on own space ship as protagonist. It's solid sci-fi with great characterisation

Sakurasou no pet na kanojo: Sorata quite normal guy without particular goal is more or less forced babysit girl Mashiro who might be prodigy painter, but isn't able do most basic stuff otherwise.

From above I agree on Kokoro Connect and disagree on Guilty Crown (try read some reviews and than decide whether you want watch it or not. )

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-08-09 at 18:17.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 08:58   Link #4
kitten320

^With such logic he shouldn't like Accel World much either since it lacked just as much.
Old 2013-08-11, 22:32   Link #5
magnum12

Puella Magi Madkoa Magica: Think magical girl anime meets
Spoiler for referenced comic is a spoiler to true nature:
and you have this one in a nutshell. 12 episodes long, but you get quality over quantity. Awesome sound track. The "Homura Arc" (10-12) alone makes this anime worth while. Be warned, this anime is known for making grown men weep.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni: Manga version is better. M rated due to intense violence. Is a hybrid mystery/horror genre anime (originally a VN) with excellent character development and a well rounded likable cast. One must be really smart and brave to get the most out of this series.
Old 2013-08-12, 06:46   Link #6
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

To address particular serials:

I've already watched Sakurasou and loved every episode between Sorata's fits, Shiina's innocence and the rest of the cast being expanded upon, it turned out to be a well-rounded, solid comedy I enjoyed.

Long serials such as Naruto are unfortunately out of the question due to the limited time I set aside for other pursuits. I guess I should have mentioned I'm only looking for shows with a season or two, and manga chapters not going beyond the fifty-chapters-per-arc kind.

(That said, Elfen Lied and Death Note were exceptions to these. :P)

I've heard both good and bad reviews for Guilty Crown, but even so, that a show shares seiyuus and similar MCs doesn't necessariy mean its better. :/ was the anime an adaptation?

A friend also recommended Zero No Tsukaima to me, though I'm wondering if I should pick up the LNs or the anime first. Anyone can gve their two cents?
Old 2013-08-18, 20:53   Link #7
Commandersnoopy

You want something deep like you said in your opening post and somebody recommended you Zero no Tsukaima? I dont think it fits what you asked for.

Zero no Tsukaima is just a harem/romance/ ecchi. Though it is quite popular. Though there are a lot of issues with it. These include :derogatory/humiliating scenes with women (though which harem isn't? but I do find it is more humiliting than most)

I do not want to offend even if you are a harem fan. But, even if you are a harem fan, there are a lot of other issues. Lots of plot pacing problems. Character inconsistencies (characters seem to act differently). Plot problems such as: story went from fantasy world centered to focus on idiotic jokes, plot inconsistencies, etc.

Overall, bad.
Commandersnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 23:26   Link #8
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I also disagree with Guilty Crown, but it's up to you whether or not to watch it. The whole thing was just...a train wreck, IMHO.

Shin Sekai Yori - trials and tribulations of a group of friends with powers and how it effects their world. Has an LN and anime. Has manga but Ive heard it's VERY different.

Attack on Titan- currently airing, fantastic anime, also has a manga.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 23:37   Link #9
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Seems like Guilty Crown is out of the question then. *Strikes it off*

Well, he was basically recommending ZnT with extreme enthusiasm. >_> So now I know a little more about my friend...

Wouldn't the Index & Railgun serials fall into the harem/ecchi category then? Touma and his amazing hand and womanising powers...sometimes the humour and plot can barely excuse the new girl every few episodes.
Old 2013-08-19, 05:28   Link #10
Tenzen12

Yes, Index is and I don't remember much of vissible character development either. In other hand Railgun is better in that metter it also it can't realy be considered Harem/Ecchi.

These two works are suprisingly quite distinguish from each other.

PS: I would also recommend Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio, while protagonist greatest ordeal affecting his growth has yet to come (for now stuff is pilling up in background just to fall anytime with lot of greater impact). Other characters get here lot of focus and development.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-08-19 at 05:55.
Old 2013-08-19, 09:13   Link #11
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

蒼き鋼のアルペジオ, I see. A quick glance at the wiki page...certainly, the plot seems interesting. And as a manga...hmm.

*pins it to the top*

And to reply to your earlier message, I have lots of time for sure. All I have are weekends off, and even then I have plenty of RL matters to care for. I can wait for the series to finish airing before I actually start watching.

So on my list now is Phantom, Rainbow, Arpeggio, and Shingeki No Kyojin, perhaps pushing on with Index I to get onto Railgun I.
Old 2013-08-19, 17:39   Link #12
Commandersnoopy

Fate Zero is also really good. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet.. someone always brings it up in suggestions.

A story of 7 mages and 7 servants (that are heroes are summoned from famous myths and historical eras) that battle it out in the Holy Grail War. It may fulfill your requirement because the story really delves into each mage and focuses on each of their different perspectives. Each mage(master) have their own unique personality, backstory and purpose for the Grail and there is a lot of scheming, plotting, backstabbing as well as some strong dialogue scenes between master and servant. My all time favourite monologue would be Gilgamesh's speech on why pleasure is not sin =P

Not all just talking, there are a lot of fantastic visuals in the fight scenes that put a lot of other fight animes to shame.
Commandersnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 08:11   Link #13
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I never thought that I'd have such a strong connection with Chihaya Gunzou, the protagonist of Aoki Hagane No Arpeggio...
Spoiler for Gunzou's history & me:

Just like Accel World and just as much effort into the planning of the series. An excellent recommendation, Tenzen.
Old 2013-08-20, 10:46   Link #14
Tenzen12

I know

It's pity it doesn't get that much attention (I hope anime will improve situation).

You might also like Brake Blade (manga) and if you don't mind medieval fantasy and ridiculous tittle Legend of Legendary heroes might be your thing (most LN chapters are translated from point of End of anime).

And I forgot mention Oregairu (LN (is being translated on two different sites ) + anime) which plays some faux cliche of romance genre actuly straight and put lot of emphasis on character development.
Old 2013-08-23, 01:27   Link #15
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

If you're just looking for something fun to read in while waiting on releases, I've been reading one called Himouto! Umaru-chan It's pretty much just a slice of life between a brother and sister who live together, the brother works and the sister goes to school. Nothing serious at all happens, but it is amusing and I found it entertaining.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote