AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-26, 08:50   Link #1
Simon
気持ち悪い

Simoun

シムーン (starts April 2006)

Since I couldn't find a thread for this upcoming yuri anime...

Synopsis from AnimeBlogger.net:

Quote:
The story takes place on a planet different from the Earth. They call their planet the Great Air Continent. There, they are born as female. When they become 15 years old, they go to the "spring" and choose their sex to become "adult".

They are at war; the country where the main characters live is invaded by the next country aiming at their superior engine. Day by day, the situation is getting severer. To intercept their attack, they convert the two-seater plane for ceremony, Simoun, into a fighter. Also, they organize an air squad, "Call", which consists of "Mediums". They are girls who don’t decide their sex yet.

The girl who can operate "Simoun" is called "Simoun Siwula". Because they have special abilities, they can choose when they become “adult” by themselves. However, since the war broke out, they've been forced to continue to be pilots, i.e., "girls".
Official site - ANN encyclopedia - Broadcast schedule

Staff
  • Director: Junji NISHIMURA (Kyo Kara Maoh! / Ranma ˝ / Windy Tales) 西村淳二
  • Art supervision: Shichiro KOBAYASHI 小林七郎
  • Character design: Asako NISHIDA (Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito) 西田亜沙子
  • Conceptual design: Hiroshi NAGAHAMA (Mushishi) 長濱博史
  • Mechanical design: Jin Seob Song
  • Animation: Studio Deen
  • Music: Toshihiko SAHASHI (Full Metal Panic! / Gunslinger Girl / Gundam Seed Destiny) 佐橋俊彦
  • OP performance: Chiaki ISHIKAWA (vocalist from See-Saw) 石川智晶
  • ED performance: Savage Genius
Cast (romanisation shamelessly stolen from ANN)
  • Aeru: Michi NIINO (pics?) 新野美知
  • Neviriru: Rieko TAKAHASHI 高橋理恵子
  • Paraietta: Ami KOSHIMIZU 小清水亜美
  • Kaimu: Michiko HOSOGO (HOSOGOSHI?) 細越みちこ
  • Alti: Megumi TOYOGUCHI (Sei from Maria-mite) 豊口めぐみ
  • Rimone: Mamiko NOTO (Shimako from Maria-mite) 能登麻美子
  • Rodoreamon: Mikako TAKAHASHI 高橋美佳子
  • Furoe: Manami UZAWA 鵜沢愛美
  • Morinasu: Nana MIZUKI (Shinobu from 2x2 Shinobuden) 水樹奈々
  • Dominura: Yukana ゆかな
  • Maminna: Rika MORINAGA 森永理科
  • Onasia: Sakiko TAMAGAWA 玉川紗己子
  • Amuria: Eri KITAMURA (Saya from Blood+) 喜多村英梨
A manga based on the series is being serialised in Comic Yurihime (beginning Volume 3, Winter 2006). There's a brief summary of the first installment on Okazu.

Now, a question:

Some sources suggest that the anime is based on an original work by Jin Seob Song - certainly, the title and the term "siwula" sound much more Korean than Japanese. I've tried Googling with my best guess at the hangul, but I haven't hit anything obvious like a manhwa. Can any Korean-speakers shed light on the origins of this series?

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-16 at 06:12. Reason: Fix a typo that's been bugging me for months...
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 09:04   Link #2
NeoSam

I'm looking forward for this yuri goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
A manga based on the series is being serialised in Comic Yurihime (beginning Volume 3, Winter 2006). There's a brief summary of the first installment on Okazu.
From my understanding Comic Yurihime is a magazine aimed at lesbians.
Old 2006-02-27, 11:02   Link #3
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I applaud their style. That, and that first screenshot looks pretty cool. Though if I lived my life as a woman and lesbianism was commonplace and accepted, why the heck would I wanna be a guy? It'd be scary.

Though maybe having them have to make that descision at the start of adulthood (which for an anime character is about 10 years old) is a bad idea because of the misc rebellious phase.

Last edited by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs; 2006-02-27 at 11:24.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 07:09   Link #4
NeoSam

Some images from the manga:

Thanks Ialdaboth for the images
Old 2006-03-03, 09:02   Link #5
DaFool
Resident devil

I just hope they make the planes nice designs. (The girls' designs are a given ^_^)

Haven't they perfected ovular merging already? If that's the case there would be no need for males.

Now is this written for real lesbians or by some fanboy with wild imagination? Come to think of it, the premise seems to have more in common with subconscious male fantasies of becoming a girl, piloting jet fighters, and humping other girls, than anything lesbian.

Comic Yurihime must be a magazine for yuri lovers of both genders.

"ED performance: Savage Genius" <----- wheeeee!

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-03-03 at 09:14.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 10:23   Link #6
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Comic Yurihime must be a magazine for yuri lovers of both genders.
I read an interview that was with someone from the publisher of Comic Yuri Hime magazine and she said that this is a magazine aimed at females.

But don't ask me to link to that interview that was quite some time ago.
Old 2006-03-03, 16:23   Link #7
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
becoming a girl, piloting jet fighters, and humping other girls
So where do I sign up?

Seriously though, this is why I want to know more about Jin Seob Song and his(?) original work. Still haven't found anything, although I have a suspicion about where the title may have come from.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-03-03 at 21:09.
Old 2006-03-07, 00:09   Link #8
Simon
気持ち悪い

The official site has a whole new look today, with art from the anime rather than the manga.They've also added some on-air info.

You know a show is going to be mecha-heavy when the site has a dedicated Mechanics page. Another KnM, anyone?

Last edited by Simon; 2006-03-07 at 00:19.
Old 2006-03-07, 10:41   Link #9
Ialdaboth

Or a yuri version of Last Exile.
Old 2006-03-17, 15:19   Link #10
Simon
気持ち悪い

Another site update - the characters page is now up.
Old 2006-03-17, 20:43   Link #11
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Hey! I wonder. If you blow on the tail of that ship will the swirly part unravel forward and make a "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound? Like those things they have at kid's parties?

Seriously though, after seeing more of the designs thanks to your links I'm not looking quite forward to this. April's gonna be one great season it seems.

And it's a minor thing but what is it about that blonde girl's face? Is her mouth just a tad bit too wide? Is it the style of blush? Something just makes her face look different than all the other characters.
Old 2006-03-18, 22:27   Link #12
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Hey! I wonder. If you blow on the tail of that ship will the swirly part unravel forward and make a "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound? Like those things they have at kid's parties?
It's certainly not your typical Gundam-inspired mecha. I hadn't quite looked at it from your, um, unique perspective though

Quote:
And it's a minor thing but what is it about that blonde girl's face? Is her mouth just a tad bit too wide? Is it the style of blush? Something just makes her face look different than all the other characters.
I dunno, maybe we're just used to anime-proportioned faces (which would look way scary in RL, I suspect). Regardless, Aeru has the cutest hairstyle ever - this character just cries out to be cosplayed!

Other Simoun tidbits:

For anyone not following the New Announced Anime thread, a preliminary trailer has been spotted.

The first episode title is 堕ちた翼 Dachita Tsubasa, which appears to translate as "Fallen Wing(s)". I'm confused about the translation of the first word though: 堕 da doesn't seem to be a word in its own right, and from my minimal knowlege of Japanese grammar I don't see how you'd construct 堕ちた from the nearest compound 堕する dasuru (meaning "descend to" or "lapse into"). Unless ちた is from the verb ちる chiru meaning "fall", and 堕 adds a moral connotation of it being a fall from grace?

I started this thread with the speculation that the words simoun and siwula might be Korean, but I now think that's wrong. Going by the aircraft name mentioned previously, simoun is more likely derived from the Arab word for "sandstorm". Interestingly, a related word qibli might also be familiar to anime fans...

Siwula meanwhile appears to be a common Polish surname. It is neither widely known nor true that its inclusion in the series is due to the director, Junji "Stan" Nishimura, having played jazz trombone with the famous Blaise Siwula (scroll down to May 2002 for details on one of their gigs).
Old 2006-03-18, 22:37   Link #13
jsnut2
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to jsnut2 Send a message via AIM to jsnut2
I love the art is very good, I hope it does have a good storyline
jsnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 01:05   Link #14
lavielove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnut2
I love the art is very good, I hope it does have a good storyline
I think Simon already stated the story line for the show. I'm just wondering how many episodes it would be spanned.If the series came out like 10 or 12 episodes,I'm so ready to drop it coz what we want is another Eureka7 or Noein and not Full Metal Panic Second Raid.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 01:48   Link #15
guess

I just heard of something. This series is produced by the same people who did Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the ending of Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito. Worst ending I have ever seen. Guess I won't be joining the party. and just wait and see me eat my own word.

I hope it is going to be just 13 ep. Most shows will just drag on if they are more than 13 ep.

Last edited by guest; 2006-03-19 at 02:50.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 18:43   Link #16
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Really? I liked the ending and I'm anxious to see what the specialbox contains that comes out on the 24th.

Even if the show just boils down to yuriservice, I at least hope the character interactions are good and the action is done better than it was in Yami to Boushi.
Old 2006-03-19, 21:16   Link #17
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
I applaud their style. That, and that first screenshot looks pretty cool. Though if I lived my life as a woman and lesbianism was commonplace and accepted, why the heck would I wanna be a guy? It'd be scary.

Though maybe having them have to make that descision at the start of adulthood (which for an anime character is about 10 years old) is a bad idea because of the misc rebellious phase.
Well its getting more and more accepted...and commonplace? who cares?
Cammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 06:52   Link #18
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
I think Simon already stated the story line for the show. I'm just wondering how many episodes it would be spanned.If the series came out like 10 or 12 episodes,I'm so ready to drop it coz what we want is another Eureka7 or Noein and not Full Metal Panic Second Raid.
You do realize Eureka7 is mainstream anime and Noein was produced with international distribution in mind? Hence they have the budget for a full season. This show is definitely hardcore otaku. Now unless some h-game company such as Circus puts some cash behind this show (and it' pretty much not a possibility since this isn't based on an h-game), than 13 eps is the way to be, as it has always been.

I don't get the logic behind not trying something because it's too short. To me, that would be all the more reason to try something (Like for example, my favorite movies happen to be short and sweet in 90 minutes and not drag on to 3 hours). Definitely, if producers are sure of the audience they will put more budget for more length, but since this is definitely in the realm of hardcore tastes, they play it safe as any good anime business should.

Then again, if this does turn out to be 24 or 26 eps someone should shoot me -_-.

And I like Yamibou's Ending. To me, a good ending doesn't necessarily be one that you expected or most wanted. An unexpected ending is justified.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 10:14   Link #19
lavielove

Quote:
You do realize Eureka7 is mainstream anime and Noein was produced with international distribution in mind? Hence they have the budget for a full season. This show is definitely hardcore otaku. Now unless some h-game company such as Circus puts some cash behind this show (and it' pretty much not a possibility since this isn't based on an h-game), than 13 eps is the way to be, as it has always been.

I don't get the logic behind not trying something because it's too short. To me, that would be all the more reason to try something (Like for example, my favorite movies happen to be short and sweet in 90 minutes and not drag on to 3 hours). Definitely, if producers are sure of the audience they will put more budget for more length, but since this is definitely in the realm of hardcore tastes, they play it safe as any good anime business should.

Then again, if this does turn out to be 24 or 26 eps someone should shoot me -_-.

And I like Yamibou's Ending. To me, a good ending doesn't necessarily be one that you expected or most wanted. An unexpected ending is justified.
Yes, I do. That's the reason why I said it. Sometimes I like short animes for slice of life genre but if the anime is somewhat related to mecha that's a different thing.

I'm not bashing off the series or something but still not even a single production is backed up this show when some of the shows that will start in April even have three productions. But still I do think that this anime won't be as short as Strawberry Panic(yet another over-hyped media-work's yuri anime).
Old 2006-03-21, 08:42   Link #20
lavielove

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72
I understand the individual words, but not the order in which they've been assembled. How can there be such a thing as an "over-hyped yuri anime"? Is that an oxymoron?
I think I saw you in Kashimashi thread still thinking oxymoron ?

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri