AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-04-22, 08:51   Link #1281
Meatrose
Antihero

"a.t.b 2017. A KnightMare unit of 11 youths embark on an operation to save their comrades stranded on the European front, their odds of success only 5%."

R2 = a.t.b. 2018.

Edit: It wouldn't surprise me all too much if this OVA turns out to be to Code Geass what "08th MS Team" were to UC Gundam.

Last edited by Meatrose; 2010-04-22 at 09:18.
Meatrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 09:20   Link #1282
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
I win the bet, Code geass will become another gundam.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 09:28   Link #1283
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Yadda yadda, it doesn't have anything to do with Gundam. There it sounds more like a side story to the event of geass (okay like GS Stragazer but still XD)

Anyway, this made me lol.

GEASS KICKS BACK.
Aaaah, I'm finally excited :')
Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 09:30   Link #1284
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
I win the bet, Code geass will become another gundam.
Yup, its been a nightmare of mine ever since R2 ended. I only wish Okouchi had gone with "Lelouch of the Rebellion" without adding "Code Geass:" as a prefix somewhere along the road. It would have been a lot harder for Sunrise to ruin the franchise that way.
Old 2010-04-22, 09:39   Link #1285
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
Yup, its been a nightmare of mine ever since R2 ended. I only wish Okouchi had gone with "Lelouch of the Rebellion" without adding "Code Geass:" as a prefix somewhere along the road. It would have been a lot harder for Sunrise to ruin the franchise that way.
Oh you know, it's sunrise we are talking about, and since they managed to call the two spin off "Renya of the Darkness" and "Akito of the fallen country", even without "code geass" they could manage to continue after Lelouch of the Rebellion :'P
Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 09:43   Link #1286
Xander

Why is that such a bad thing though?

Gundam has a lot of variety in terms of side stories, several of which are actually considered to be among the best works of the franchise.

This new Code Geass project could well be better than R2, even without Lelouch, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 09:45   Link #1287
GundamMeisterLockon
Lock N Load

Well if the new geass project does have a new character which isn't lelouch, then i should hope they would assign a topclass VA to voice this new character. I would like to see someone like Mamoru Miyano Voicing in the geass universe or even Hiroshi Kamiya would be cool. There are loads of talented VAs who can take on the role as the new main character of geass its just a matter of picking the right one.

Last edited by GundamMeisterLockon; 2010-04-22 at 10:00.
GundamMeisterLockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 09:59   Link #1288
konart

Quote:
"a.t.b 2017. A KnightMare unit of 11 youths embark on an operation to save their comrades stranded on the European front, their odds of success only 5%."

R2 = a.t.b. 2018.

Edit: It wouldn't surprise me all too much if this OVA turns out to be to Code Geass what "08th MS Team" were to UC Gundam.
So... what about screenshots of Nunnally & co? They are 100% post R2-ish.
And they are not from PD, aren't they?
Old 2010-04-22, 10:00   Link #1289
bleakeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

Gundam has a lot of variety in terms of side stories, several of which are actually considered to be among the best works of the franchise.

This new Code Geass project could well be better than R2, even without Lelouch, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
CG was awesome because of the characters, not the mechas. Look at Gundam 00, the characters were boring as hell. Setsuna was a shitty copy of Hero Yui (from Gundam Wing) that had absolutely no character development (he went from a kid that didn't give a shit about anything except gundams and close friends to a guy that didn't give a shit about anything except gundams and close friends). And Marina was probably the worst leading female ever. The mecha's in CG were never really a selling point, the characters were really cool and original (especially Lelouche) and actually showed alot of depth and character development. Gundam SEED had a pretty good story and characters (lets pretend G.S.D doesn't exist) I hope they make it more like that than 00.
bleakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 10:06   Link #1290
GundamMeisterLockon
Lock N Load

geass was more about the commanders or the generals that had control over armys of mecha where as gundam is more about the individual pilot of a mecha i would say.

I shall politely ignore the gentlemen's above statement regarding 00 being gundam 00 fan my self haha XD
Old 2010-04-22, 10:08   Link #1291
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I believe shaming the sanctity of the dead is appalling, if not outright sin. Rolo had his share of hardships, hating him just because he killed Shirley is one-sided and spiteful... Though I know the feeling.

If they did make a R2 remake, they might actually spare Shirley. Therefore making leave for Rolo's Remake redemption. Then again... It's doubtful.

Rolo was a victim in his own manner. Though I do admire his 'efficiency'.
In the original plans for R2, Rolo never appeared as Lelouch's brother, as far as I know. Also, Suzaku lost the confrontation to Lelouch that continued from the end of Season One. Thus, Suzaku would not have been a member of the Knight of the Rounds. This might have resulted in a different format of the show prior to its abandonment. In fact, the second season felt like a completely different show than its first season counterpart.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 10:10   Link #1292
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakeh View Post
CG was awesome because of the characters, not the mechas. Look at Gundam 00, the characters were boring as hell. Setsuna was a shitty copy of Hero Yui (from Gundam Wing) that had absolutely no character development (he went from a kid that didn't give a shit about anything except gundams and close friends to a guy that didn't give a shit about anything except gundams and close friends). And Marina was probably the worst leading female ever. The mecha's in CG were never really a selling point, the characters were really cool and original (especially Lelouche) and actually showed alot of depth and character development. Gundam SEED had a pretty good story and characters (lets pretend G.S.D doesn't exist) I hope they make it more like that than 00.

Just so you know, Gundam isn't all about the mecha either. Characters also matter, particularly when we're talking about the side stories (0080, 08th MST, etc).

I wasn't even speaking about all the alternate universe Gundam series out there, though I would also have to disagree about that.

Still, it's not true that nobody cares about the mecha in Code Geass either. It's less of a factor, yes, but it's not irrelevant at all. I don't see why this new project can't have a lot to offer both sides of the spectrum. New characters can be interesting, at least if you have an open mind, and the possibility of seeing some new mecha isn't going to hurt anyone. Particularly if things stay closer to the overall level of technology seen in the first season.

Give it time and then we'll see if this turns out to be good, average, mediocre or worse. That's not an unreasonable demand.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:10   Link #1293
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakeh View Post
Why 00? Gundam universe has plenty of awesome characters.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:19   Link #1294
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
Oh you know, it's sunrise we are talking about, and since they managed to call the two spin off "Renya of the Darkness" and "Akito of the fallen country", even without "code geass" they could manage to continue after Lelouch of the Rebellion :'P
But these new titles both have "Code Geass" as a prefix - Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya and Code Geass Gaiden(:?) Bōkoku no Akito. What I meant was that if Okouchi's story had been named "Lelouch of the Rebellion" (the way it was originally supposed to be) it would be much harder for those who own the franchise, Sunrise, to make money by slapping Okouchi's title upon their own spin-offs. "Lelouch of the Rebellion: XYZ" would not be a good way to name a title that has nothing to do with Lelouch or his rebellion.

I agree with you though, they would probably find a way to do it anyhow.

Quote:

I enjoyed the first Gundam as well as Zeta, but today I can't really take anything labeled "Gundam" seriously. In my opinion it's always bad to overextend a franchise beyond what was originally planned for. Gundam is however more suited for spin-offs and AU settings. The problem with Code Geass is that it was never about the power of Geass and it was never about KnightMare Frames. It was about Lelouch. That's why I feel that stand alone OVAs about military units being sent behind enemy lines(?) in order to save comrades should be truly stand alone, they should not make use of the name of an already established franchise just so that it'll sell more. And, unless it's written by the original author I'm not that interested. To me it'll just be a fanfic with benefits and a lot of funding.

Quote:
I wish I could be as optimistic but I simply can't at this point. I will however give it the benefit of the doubt. It's not the end of the world really. As long as I don't have to see any of the original characters in something that is not written by Okouchi I'll survive. =)
Old 2010-04-22, 10:26   Link #1295
bleakeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Why 00? Gundam universe has plenty of awesome characters.
Just wanted to talk about the most recent one. Had horrible characters >.< Really shows the difference between CG and Gundam, people watch Gundam for the gundams/fights, and watch CG for the characters. I'm not saying "OMG THEY SHOULDN'T DO ANYTHING NEW!!!" But... the characters will probably be disappointing compared to CG:LoTR's characters.
Quote:
Just so you know, Gundam isn't all about the mecha either. Characters also matter, particularly when we're talking about the side stories (0080, 08th MST, etc).

I wasn't even speaking about all the alternate universe Gundam series out there, though I would also have to disagree about that.

Still, it's not true that nobody cares about the mecha in Code Geass either. It's less of a factor, yes, but it's not irrelevant at all. I don't see why this new project can't have a lot to offer both sides of the spectrum. New characters can be interesting, at least if you have an open mind, and the possibility of seeing some new mecha isn't going to hurt anyone. Particularly if things stay closer to the overall level of technology seen in the first season.

Give it time and then we'll see if this turns out to be good, average, mediocre or worse. That's not an unreasonable demand.
I really liked CG because it wasn't always so black and white, and the characters really reflected that. On one side you had Lelouche and Kallen, who were really great, but on the other side there was Suzaku... I just hope they don't forget how to make a good Villain, 00 was trash in that department. They could really learn from Char/Rau (although I really disliked the original Gundam, REALLY disliked it).

offtopic (why I disliked the original gundam)
You never feel like there's any danger, Amuro always quickly destroys everything pretty quickly, almost every time the ship gets roughed up a bit but they always manage to kick everything around... Typical few episodes were like this:
Episode ## - Amuro destroys a bunch of mobile suits
Episode ## - Amuro destroys a bunch of mobile suits, fights char who runs away

Fights were horrifically boring as well, characters were meh, could all be due to its age, but watching it made 00 look okay.
bleakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 10:26   Link #1296
Xander

Quote:
But these new titles both have "Code Geass" as a prefix - Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya and Code Geass Gaiden(:?) Bōkoku no Akito. What I meant was that if Okouchi's story had been named "Lelouch of the Rebellion" (the way it was originally supposed to be) it would be much harder for those who own the franchise, Sunrise, to make money by slapping Okouchi's title upon their own spin-offs. "Lelouch of the Rebellion: XYZ" would not be a good way to name a title that has nothing to do with Lelouch or his rebellion.
Keep in mind that Renya's story is a project by Goro Taniguchi, who is just as much of a co-creator as Okouchi. They both share joint credits for coming up with the original concept. I don't see why he would have any less of a right to try and tell a different story within the Code Geass universe he co-created.

Quote:
I enjoyed the first Gundam as well as Zeta, but today I can't really take anything labeled "Gundam" seriously. In my opinion it's always bad to overextend a franchise beyond what was originally planned for. Gundam is however more suited for spin-offs and AU settings. The problem with Code Geass is that it was never about the power of Geass and it was never about KnightMare Frames. It was about Lelouch. That's why I feel that stand alone OVAs about military units being sent behind enemy lines(?) in order to save comrades should be truly stand alone, they should not make use of the name of an already established franchise just so that it'll sell more. And, unless it's written by the original author I'm not that interested. To me it'll just be a fanfic with benefits and a lot of funding.
I respect your personal opinion, but unless it contradicts something that happened in the original Code Geass story, I don't see why there would be any problems.

Lelouch of the Rebellion was all about Lelouch, yes, but I don't see how you can argue that there's no room for anything or anyone else. The entire world of Code Geass doesn't revolve around Lelouch, as much as it might seem so by the end of R2, and there's a lot of potential to tell different stories in the same context. Besides, unlike Gundam, this is simply the first attempt. It's all unexplored territory at this point. Of course, things might be different in 10 years.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:30   Link #1297
Ten-Go

Come on, something more serious then picture dramas and plastic figures in Code Geass just happened - so, why long face? =) Good/bad, Okouchi/anyone - let's just see how it would be, and then there will be a choice for everyone - accept it as a part of your personal CG-understanding or not.
Ten-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 10:35   Link #1298
yvj
U Mad?

All I'm saying is if this is pre Zero Requiem, its going to need an amazing cast of characters and awesome battles for me not to see it as a massive waste of time.

Admit it, what everyone wants to know is if Lelouch's wish worked out they way he wanted to or not.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:37   Link #1299
GundamMeisterLockon
Lock N Load

Quote:
Keep in mind that Renya's story is a project by Goro Taniguchi, who is just as much of a co-creator as Okouchi. They both share joint credits for coming up with the original concept. I don't see why he would have any less of a right to try and tell a different story within the Code Geass universe he co-created.

I respect your personal opinion, but unless it contradicts something that happened in the original Code Geass story, I don't see why there would be any problems.

Lelouch of the Rebellion was all about Lelouch, yes, but I don't see how you can argue that there's no room for anything or anyone else. The entire world of Code Geass doesn't revolve around Lelouch, as much as it might seem so by the end of R2, and there's a lot of potential to tell different stories in the same context. Besides, unlike Gundam, this is simply the first attempt. It's all unexplored territory at this point. Of course, things might be different in 10 years.
Yeah i agree and this way we can see if there is more to geass then lelouch. I am sure the writers are certainly capable of creating another character which could be just as good as lelouch or maybe better then lelouch.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:41   Link #1300
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamMeisterLockon View Post
Yeah i agree and this way we can see if there is more to geass then lelouch. I am sure the writers are certainly capable of creating another character which could be just as good as lelouch or maybe better then lelouch.
Better than Lelouch? That's like saying, "more perfect than perfect"!

Hm, I kind of feel like I felt about the second season of Kuroshitsuji until I realized that one character might not be as cutely innocent as he pretends to be in that trailer. I have some hope, but I'm not really excited so far.

And actually, I don't want to know what happened to the world after Lelouch's death, because Okouchi made it sound very much like he intended it as an open ending, and I like my open endings.

Tags
drama, mecha