AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-02-08, 15:04   Link #6741
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

So how fast you guys reading a manga?

I done some test and found out i can read 2 volume in 1 hour

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 15:11   Link #6742
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post

Depends how think the text is, doesn't it?
Old 2013-02-08, 15:14   Link #6743
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Depends how think the text is, doesn't it?
well let say you reading Naruto (which probably have Average text-heaviness)

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 19:06   Link #6744
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

Sounds about right for me. Maybe a little slower. Which is why I've often found Manga to be poor value (though in Japan they're much more reasonable).
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:18   Link #6745
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:

Probably... one hour per volume... then reread again;;;
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 11:00   Link #6746
Kudryavka

So, the word lolita. It's originally a cute name for a girl, then our good friend Nabokov nicknamed one of the characters in his book, Lolita, Lolita. Said character was a twelve year old (can't remember exactly, it's been a while since I read it) precocious sexual deviant who repeatedly exploits her mother's lover by bribing him with sexual favors. (Un)surprisingly, the name Lolita disappears off the face of the earth soon after.

Later it becomes a word used in "Lolita Complex" (which may be Engrish) to describe someone who's basically a pedo. Even later, the term is shortened to "lolicon", and simply means someone who likes seeing children or underdeveloped looking characters and is not necessarily a pedophile. Or just "loli", which refers to said characters.

Anyway, question is, loli is for boys and girls right? I know people throw around "shotacon" for boys, but imho lolicon should be the same regardless of gender. Is it?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 11:46   Link #6747
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
So, the word lolita. It's originally a cute name for a girl, then our good friend Nabokov nicknamed one of the characters in his book, Lolita, Lolita. Said character was a twelve year old (can't remember exactly, it's been a while since I read it) precocious sexual deviant who repeatedly exploits her mother's lover by bribing him with sexual favors. (Un)surprisingly, the name Lolita disappears off the face of the earth soon after.
That's not quite the plot. In fact, while the girl is precocious, the male protagonist is a pedophile who falls in love with her, marries her mother, and then murders the mother. The titular "Lolita" is fairly innocent (though precocious), though I only read the first half of the book (it's got very flowery, that is difficult to read).

Quote:
Anyway, question is, loli is for boys and girls right? I know people throw around "shotacon" for boys, but imho lolicon should be the same regardless of gender. Is it?
No, Lolicon only applies to girls, because a Loli is only a young (or young looking) girl. Shotacon is indeed the correct designation for the opposite gender relationship.
Old 2013-02-09, 12:27   Link #6748
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That's not quite the plot. In fact, while the girl is precocious, the male protagonist is a pedophile who falls in love with her, marries her mother, and then murders the mother. The titular "Lolita" is fairly innocent (though precocious), though I only read the first half of the book (it's got very flowery, that is difficult to read).

No, Lolicon only applies to girls, because a Loli is only a young (or young looking) girl. Shotacon is indeed the correct designation for the opposite gender relationship.
I know the guy was instigating a lot of it at first, but I just referred to the last parts in which she does exploit him with sexual favors to keep in scope of the word "lolita". Trust me, by the end she's a little nymph and it's hard to feel bad for her when she *SPOILER*. Though arguably corrupted by the guy, so maybe not her fault. Then again there was that guy at camp, it's a very debatable topic.

Ok, so lolicon is only for girls? Just wondering. The story behind "shotacon" is a lot less interesting and more anticlimatic, if I heard it right.
Old 2013-02-09, 15:32   Link #6749
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Btw, I have a question. Does anyone know the name of the voice actor who voiced one of the common thugs in Hitman:Absolution and also one of the thugs during Arkham City's tutorial with Cat Woman? It feels like I've heard him from somewhere, but can't quite remember it. If it helps, he's the one who speaks the line "he's the scalpel, we're the hammer" in Hope Fair mission in H:A.
I'm reiterating this. And asks another question:

To be honest, I don't really get the concept of "double standard". How exactly do you define this? Because what I see from things that are supposedly double standards are just "different set of standard coincidentally different from mine", and thus most of the time I see someone's accuse of a double standard I can only see that as ad hominem/name calling. And how is "double speak" different from "hypocrisy"?
Old 2013-02-09, 15:37   Link #6750
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
To be honest, I don't really get the concept of "double standard". How exactly do you define this?
Two different standards for similar situations. It's usually brought up when indicating unfairness.

As a rough example, consider the scenario of men and women in the same jobs, where the women are paid less for their time. It's a double standard: men and women are considered equal (at least by western society standards) and they're both performing the same tasks, yet men are being held to a different standard (pay scale) than women.

In common usage you're more likely to see "double standard" being applied to behaviors, rules, and judgments, though.
Old 2013-02-09, 15:53   Link #6751
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Two different standards for similar situations. It's usually brought up when indicating unfairness.

As a rough example, consider the scenario of men and women in the same jobs, where the women are paid less for their time. It's a double standard: men and women are considered equal (at least by western society standards) and they're both performing the same tasks, yet men are being held to a different standard (pay scale) than women.

In common usage you're more likely to see "double standard" being applied to behaviors, rules, and judgments, though.
OK, I can get that example. How about this:

This happens sometimes, when some people complain that they hate BL fanservice, someone else is bound to say that "if the BL service is replaced by yuri service then none of you would've complained, what double standard." or different variations of it, indicating people to stfu. I often see "double standard" being used more in this manner than the example you gave above.
Old 2013-02-09, 16:03   Link #6752
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
This happens sometimes, when some people complain that they hate BL fanservice, someone else is bound to say that "if the BL service is replaced by yuri service then none of you would've complained, what double standard." or different variations of it, indicating people to stfu. I often see "double standard" being used more in this manner than the example you gave above.
It depends on what the complaint is over. Are people complaining about the fanservice? If so, it's a double standard: people (most likely the male audience) dislike boys-love fanservice and may loudly decry it, but enjoy yuri fanservice and wouldn't speak out against it. It's a double-standard because we're talking about fanservice, but the genders involved are getting different treatment.

What gets tricky is in how you group things. The way I've grouped it above is to talk about fanservice in general, but what's arguably being discussed is sexual attraction. As a heterosexual male, if I profess attraction for women and repulsion for men, have I set a double standard? One could argue that I have, but it seems a bit ridiculous: men and women are very different when it comes to attraction.

So getting back to your example, if people claim that they hate all fanservice in anime, but only complain when they see boys-love fanservice and not when yuri comes up, it is a double standard: they have made a judgement on all fanservice, but are not treating all fanservice equally. On the other hand, if they say that they hate boys-love fanservice but don't talk about yuri, I'm not so sure that the accusation of a double standard would be appropriate.
Old 2013-02-09, 16:33   Link #6753
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
So getting back to your example, if people claim that they hate all fanservice in anime, but only complain when they see boys-love fanservice and not when yuri comes up, it is a double standard: they have made a judgement on all fanservice, but are not treating all fanservice equally. On the other hand, if they say that they hate boys-love fanservice but don't talk about yuri, I'm not so sure that the accusation of a double standard would be appropriate.
But that bolded definition would also lump people who actually like fanservices in general but loathe specific fanservices, wouldn't it? To elaborate, in this case, I don't particularly see where it's a double standard. It's just a matter of preference, but when people complain about it, first and foremost they most likely get accused of having a double standard instead.

Add: Also another separate thing, would this be considered a double standard: Companies not hiring people who don't have sufficient credential or certificates? How about, trusting the police more than your average joe on a security matter?

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2013-02-09 at 16:47.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 16:44   Link #6754
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I don't think complaining about a specific form of fanservice would be a double standard, as for viewers Yuri fanservice and Yaoi fanservice are in fact different. So saying "The Yaoi scenes in this show put me off, but I don't mind the Yuri" isn't really a double standard, as you're just stating a preference.

However if you were to say "Yaoi is the cancer that is killing Anime, Yuri is it's salvation!" that would be a double standard, because there you're making a value judgement, whereas before you were simply stating a preference.
Old 2013-02-09, 16:54   Link #6755
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Anyone know how to to do those charge super arts in Street Fighter series? Or know of any easier way to do them? Its very difficult for me to do this Dualshock PS2/PS3 Controller.
Old 2013-02-10, 05:23   Link #6756
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Need help on knowing which South Park Episode.

Sup guys, I'm looking for the episode and season for these few clips in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSh1fI5qGLk

1. Cartman family reunion
2. Cartman hitting animals in the wild
3. Kitty having a party
4. Cartman gives Kitty a dairy to write in the attic

Thanks guys
Old 2013-02-10, 11:50   Link #6757
james0246

^You could have just looked this up on wikipedia or something, but since I remember the clips:

Quote:
1. Cartman family reunion
Season 2, "Merry Christmas, Charlie Manson!"

Quote:
2. Cartman hitting animals in the wild
Season 1, "Volcano" or Season 3 "Rainforest Shmainforest"

Quote:
3. Kitty having a party
Season 3, "Cat Orgy"

Quote:
4. Cartman gives Kitty a dairy to write in the attic
Season 12, "Major Boobage"
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 04:42   Link #6758
Kudryavka

Does anyone know what dance this is from 0:46 to 0:51? I think it's the Lollipop dance, but I'm not sure. Or it may be an original creation, but then I saw it somewhere else (which could be possible because this anime is really old and famous).
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-02-11 at 08:55.
Old 2013-02-11, 08:59   Link #6759
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Does anyone know what dance this is from 0:46 to 0:51? I think it's the Lollipop dance, but I'm not sure. Or it may be an original creation, but then I saw it somewhere else (which could be possible because this anime is really old and famous).
YouTube
I think I may have seen the dance elsewhere, and I don't think it originated in Japan. The closest thing I can think of is the limbo, but that's not really the same.

I don't think it's an original creation though.
Old 2013-02-11, 09:13   Link #6760
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think I may have seen the dance elsewhere, and I don't think it originated in Japan. The closest thing I can think of is the limbo, but that's not really the same.

I don't think it's an original creation though.
I knew it wasn't just me!

I found another video with it, at 0:55 to 1:07 to the song Lollipop. But it came from NicoNico Douga, meaning chances are pretty high it's just based off of when Urusei Yatsura did it. But maybe not?
YouTube

Tags
problem, q&a, serious