AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-07, 09:37   Link #61
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I liked the fact that Kal-el hugged Jor-el - it's rare in anime to see boys hug their (step) fathers. Apart from that though, the first half of the episode was mostly a whiff for me. Things got much better when Claire showed up. That was cute enough to flirt with saccharine, but it never crossed the line for me.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 09:46   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I liked the fact that Kal-el hugged Jor-el - it's rare in anime to see boys hug their (step) fathers.
I agree. I thought they'd go with a simple handshake, but going with a hug made it much warmer. I especially liked when it became a big, group hug.

Now that I think about, a guy leaving behind his home and parents to explore a new world, while accompanied by a close female relative... That's certainly very Superman (once you factor in Supergirl).

Quote:
Apart from that though, the first half of the episode was mostly a whiff for me. Things got much better when Claire showed up. That was cute enough to flirt with saccharine, but it never crossed the line for me.
I agree that the Claire section was the strongest section of the first episode. Like yourself, I found it very cute and saccharine, but it never crossed the line for me either. If Clarie had remained ridiculously shy the entire time, maybe it would have, but she got over it pretty fast, so I felt her scenes were nicely handled.
Old 2014-01-07, 10:32   Link #63
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
I didn't care for Claire's initial introduction, and I'm still not really sure I like her. I'll just have to wait and see where they go with her character. So far I like Ariel more, I thought her early crying scene was really funny, and that that whole scene over all was sweet and nicely done with Ariel and Kal-el leaving.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 13:46   Link #64
whitecloud

what's l-elf doing there..hahahaha...is he want to tempt kal-el to revolution? revenge? (kal-el already boiling under the surface)
Old 2014-01-07, 15:06   Link #65
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
PV for the light novel.

Sort of a "prince charming fighting to protect his damsel in distress" kinda thing. As adventure / fantasy goes, it doesn't get more generic than this.
Yeah that PV is self-explanatory. After watching episode 1, a lot of the stuff kind of makes sense now.

Spoiler for Claire:

I liked the hugging scene too with Kal-el and his foster dad. You don't see those scenes too often, and its usually an acknowledging nod or handshake between father and son. I wonder if Kal-el's foster dad told Ariel about his past to keep a watch on him as well, since that scene probably would not make much sense otherwise.
Old 2014-01-07, 18:42   Link #66
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
I get the opposite impression actually. Also one thing I'll add is the color palette doesn't seem to point to a tragedy laden story.
It is a war story and people do die so....

Besides the ED combined with what he said at the end of episode 1 does not make me think it's going to be a happy ending.
Old 2014-01-07, 19:10   Link #67
Tenzen12

Is it realy Kal-el? MAL spell his name as Karl La Hire, ANN goes with both spellings. And personaly I like normal name like Karl better anyway...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 19:16   Link #68
Kazu-kun

^ It's probably Karl. That was the name I found everywhere before the show aired and it's more consistent with the rest of the cast. Kal-el seems more like Crunchyroll trying to be clever.
Old 2014-01-07, 19:23   Link #69
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Well tbh I never heard them say the 'el'.
Considering the way they pronounce 'Karl' though I'm not surprised Chrunchyroll got the idea of naming him 'Kal'.
However, after everyone in Walkure Romance managed to pronounce Celia as Celilia for 13 episodes I wouldn't be too surprised if they did indeed pronounce it as Kal-el
(or her name was indeed Celilia and they just named her Celia)

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 19:36   Link #70
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I'm just confused that it's even spelled both "Karl" and "Kal-el" in the CR subs. I've got a theory but it involves some stuff from the summary that the anime hasn't touched on yet so it's a spoilery theory?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 19:43   Link #71
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I'm just confused that it's even spelled both "Karl" and "Kal-el" in the CR subs. I've got a theory but it involves some stuff from the summary that the anime hasn't touched on yet so it's a spoilery theory?
The anime may not be there yet but the promotional materials have disclosed the 'former prince with a tragic past' setting already so I think you're safe for now, unless you start posting actual spoilers from the LN

Also, is there a LN thread for this already? I couldn't find one.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 19:46   Link #72
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
The anime may not be there yet but the promotional materials have disclosed the 'former prince with a tragic past' setting already so I think you're safe for now, unless you start posting actual spoilers from the LN

Also, is there a LN thread for this already? I couldn't find one.
Always make sure to search carefully, trying several different ways the material might be displayed, but then if you do not find one and/or other posters in this thread then feel free to create one. ^^

Last edited by Flower; 2014-01-07 at 21:16. Reason: Oops! lol
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 19:48   Link #73
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Is it realy Kal-el? MAL spell his name as Karl La Hire, ANN goes with both spellings. And personaly I like normal name like Karl better anyway...
The Official Website spells it as カルエル・アルバス (Karueru Arubasu). The other version that appears to crop up is Karl La Hire. The first name is similar but the last name is completely different and is probably his real name whilst the former is a fake name he's using to hide his identity. Just guessing.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 19:57   Link #74
Tenzen12

Arubasu is name of his foster family.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 20:25   Link #75
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Always make sure to search carefully, trying several different ways the material might be displayed, but then if you do not find one and/or other posters in this thread don't feel free to create one. ^^
I think Flower meant to say, if you don't find a thread, then FEEL free to create one. In other words, go for it.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 21:18   Link #76
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I think Flower meant to say, if you don't find a thread, then FEEL free to create one. In other words, go for it.

Whoops!

Erm... yes. That was what I meant to type. (Rassafrassin cold is making me more airheaded than usual, it seems! )

Op edited to reflect lkk's proper understanding of reality in general. -_-
Old 2014-01-07, 21:49   Link #77
SeaDoor

Finally watched the first episode. Really had a strong Last Exile vibe for me, even down to the silver-hair crazy pilot noble. Outside of that, it seemed kind of a bland first episode.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 00:42   Link #78
Dawnstorm

I'd personally transcribe Karueru as Karel, which is an old germanic version of "Karl" and is still a czech name (also used in the Netherlands I think?). Though I'm not sure what to make of "ru-e" rather than "re".
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 11:04   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ It's probably Karl. That was the name I found everywhere before the show aired and it's more consistent with the rest of the cast. Kal-el seems more like Crunchyroll trying to be clever.
It's Kal-el. It's written on his door plate at the dormitory.
Old 2014-01-08, 11:15   Link #80
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's Kal-el. It's written on his door plate at the dormitory.
It wouldn't be the first time anime producers screw the romanization of a foreign name. Now, if you had a page of the original novel showing the name...

On the other hand, at least this explains why CR went with that mane.

Tags
adventure, drama, pilot, romance