Notices

Old 2017-06-20, 01:35   Link #1
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Godzilla 2

Warner Brothers have released official synopsis for the movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB
The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance
But they still haven't decided what title the movie should use.

Personally speaking, if they do include Rodan (Radon in Japan), Mothra & Ghidorah in this movie, I feel they're rushing it a bit. IMO it's better to go with vs. Mothra -> vs. (King?) Kong, and then go with -> vs. King Ghidorah as we all know Ghidorah is and should be the most epic opponent of them all. Mothra alone deserves her own "Godzilla vs. movie". Also, you can put Rodan in either of those movies as I don't think people demand much screentime for him (sorry, Rodey ).
Old 2017-06-20, 02:36   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
A remake with Ghidorah eh? Hmmmmmm.

My ears definitely pricked up like a cat's there....
Old 2017-06-20, 03:15   Link #3
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Isn't that basically "Destroy All Monsters"?
Old 2017-06-20, 03:18   Link #4
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It does feel like they are overdoing it a little. Honestly just feels like the classic trap of putting "too many villains" into a movie. But to be fair it all just depends on the writing. If they figure a good way to balance all of this they could make it into a really good movie.

Plus how are they going to get all those monsters screentime when they clearly only want monsters on the screen for 5 minutes total ?
Old 2017-06-20, 03:25   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Isn't that basically "Destroy All Monsters"?
More like GMK. But the thing is, I think these new Hollywood iterations of Rodan, Mothra & Ghidorah need to be established first before throwing them into a battle royal. It'd be such a waste if they didn't do that. Let's hope it won't become the BvS or Spiderman 3 of Monster-verse .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
A remake with Ghidorah eh? Hmmmmmm.
It's a sequel though. Sequel to the 2014 movie. I mean, Monarch is still there and we'll see Ken Watanabe again.
Old 2017-06-20, 04:02   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
More like GMK. But the thing is, I think these new Hollywood iterations of Rodan, Mothra & Ghidorah need to be established first before throwing them into a battle royal. It'd be such a waste if they didn't do that. Let's hope it won't become the BvS or Spiderman 3 of Monster-verse .

It's a sequel though. Sequel to the 2014 movie. I mean, Monarch is still there and we'll see Ken Watanabe again.
I didn't want to say it, but yeah it kind of feels like that's where we're going. The too many villains thing from Spider-Man 3 and possibly a kind of viewer pushback like with BvS. Going with "Oh you didn't get enough monsters in Godzilla? Or you didn't like the original monsters? Well here are 3 major Godzilla monsters that honestly should have their own movies, but you get them all at once." Although I hope that isn't where this will end up.

Probably just a negative mindset getting in the way for me. So long as they don't kill them all off then they could get their own movies down the road. And it could work so long as they don't outright split the focus evenly between all of them.
Old 2017-06-20, 07:07   Link #7
B214

They're probably adapting Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster the 1964 film. We might end up seeing Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra vs King Ghidorah.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-20, 22:06   Link #8
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Warner Brothers have released official synopsis for the movie:

But they still haven't decided what title the movie should use.

Personally speaking, if they do include Rodan (Radon in Japan), Mothra & Ghidorah in this movie, I feel they're rushing it a bit. IMO it's better to go with vs. Mothra -> vs. (King?) Kong, and then go with -> vs. King Ghidorah as we all know Ghidorah is and should be the most epic opponent of them all. Mothra alone deserves her own "Godzilla vs. movie". Also, you can put Rodan in either of those movies as I don't think people demand much screentime for him (sorry, Rodey ).
Pretty sure that "vs. Kong" is their ultimate goal here, since that's what would likely sell best here in the US. That and a little uncertainty as how successful this franchise might be in the long term, given the recent failure of the Mummy casting doubt on the future of the Universal Monsters franchise, would explain why they're blowing their load a bit early here...
Old 2017-06-20, 23:14   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Pretty sure that "vs. Kong" is their ultimate goal here, since that's what would likely sell best here in the US.
I personally don’t see much of the appeal of “Kong vs. Zilla”. The original Toho movie of the similar title was memorable due to how silly it was. One can say that it’s “so bad it’s good”, but taking the fight seriously? I don’t know about that. One can argue that Zilla can just one-shot Kong with his atomic breath and that’d be the end of it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
That and a little uncertainty as how successful this franchise might be in the long term, given the recent failure of the Mummy casting doubt on the future of the Universal Monsters franchise, would explain why they're blowing their load a bit early here...
The difference is that, so far, the Monster-Verse is quite profitable compared to Dark Universe:

Godzilla: $529 million box office (prod-budget: $160 million)
Kong: Skull Island: $566 million box office (prod budget: $185 million)

And the audience still want more. So, right now, the Monster-Verse can still walk with confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
They're probably adapting Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster the 1964 film.
You're right! Maybe they're doing just that. But wait, does that mean Mothra will talk to Godzilla and Rodan to sway them to fight Ghidorah (only to be rejected) like in the original movie? Poor Mothra...
Old 2017-06-21, 19:50   Link #10
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Can we be hopeful and maybe it'l go the route of Final Wars? That movie had a ton of classic Godzilla monsters, and except for how ridiculous it did get at the end to defeat Ghidorah, it was a good movie

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote