AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-05, 17:55   Link #21
HandofFate

Yea, Yuuji's responses are bordering coolness on Persona4 MC levels.
Though THB, in the VN he goes way overboard on it sometimes where its just that for an entire 10 pages, and I'm like "omg, i get it, move on"
Old 2014-10-05, 18:34   Link #22
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
In any case, if you are watching an anime that based on Novel/VN, and you never read Novel/VN it based on, always watch anime first then go to collect more info on novel/VN later.

By doing that, you won't have problems like

- Why anime cut x scene out?
- x scene is so much better in novel/vn!!!

....when you are watching the anime version.
This heavily depends of the watcher, because the very opposite effect can occur: by watching the anime first, some people won't be able to enjoy the original material because they are actually spoiled or the anime made so many shortcuts that lead to information that shouldn't even be there to begin with (like Deen's FSN involving HF stuff), which could impair/alter the way how the source material was supposed to be enjoyed.

So saying someone should watch the anime first then read the original material afterwards is absolutely not the best course of action in general. Should they want to experience the real thing the most, they should forgo the anime and try the original material first. For those who don't mind spoilers etc, watching the anime first might be the better approach.

______

Anyway, the visuals are fairly closer to Fumio/Watanabe's designs than the first teasers a year ago. Although a few things weren't too consistent (especially Yuuji's face), it had a decent presentation, and they make up for it with a good cinematography in general. I particularly liked the fact they have shown several sceneries and the like.
Meanwhile, I wasn't expecting Yuuji's manservice that early... balancing out, since we got Amane (albeit, censored) perhaps?

Thus far, they did a good job, although I'm unsure if they should have teased that much.
Spoiler for comparison with the VN, no spoilers:

Looking forwards to the next episode.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2014-10-05 at 18:47.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 18:54   Link #23
Kaniro9AD

The first ep delivered good, i liked it my expectations were be careful, because lately the adaptations of VN to anime weren't very good, but this first episode made my day, i hope they can addapt all the five heroines rutes, this season.

How Many episodes are going to be ?
Kaniro9AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 19:27   Link #24
liemtodaisu

Even though I love the VN and tried to keep my expectation really low for this adaption.
I have to say 8bit did a really great job for the first episode. Look forward to the next one for sure.
liemtodaisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 20:32   Link #25
novalysis

It's clear that this is no ordinary academy, and it's linked to the fact that all of the girls have screw looses in their heads at one level or another. And I am interested to find out why.

This school, I suspect, in previous eras, would have been a sanatorium for "hysterical" young woman, so to speak.

Also, the MC is the second coming of Tatsuya..... minus an Onee Sama worshiping sister. I will laugh if the dead sister was like Miyuki in regard to their views of their brother.

Last edited by novalysis; 2014-10-05 at 20:46.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 20:52   Link #26
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I actually played a little bit of this VN back in the Spring. It was the last VN I dabbled in a bit.

Episode 1 covered pretty much everything I played, in about 1/5th the amount of time. I definitely like the brisker pacing here, though some of the adaptation choices I wasn't fond of.

With that in mind...

Spoiler for VN comparison:

I like how ripped Yuuji is. That's refreshingly different for an anime MC.

I also like Yuuji's personality. In my view, this is what Inaho in Aldnoah.Zero should have been like. Yuuji is just as much a "cool customer" as Inaho is, but Yuuji has a good slightly snarky sense of humor that ensures he doesn't come across as bland in spite of his generally stoic and straightforward demeanor/approach to things.

The female characters are fun and charming and... interesting.

If a VN player thinks "Trip, go and read this rather than watch the anime first. You won't regret it!", here's your chance to convince me. I have not yet been spoiled. Maybe I should play 5 hours of the VN a week just to stay ahead of the anime?
Old 2014-10-05, 20:58   Link #27
HandofFate

I think a few hours a week is good.
I too read the VN briefly, and only did 3/5 of the character routes, but I won't be surprised if after this season or during, I start booting it up and continuing.

In some ways I think the anime can be really good if they know the right stuff to cut, because the VN has TONs and TONs of imo fluff comedy scenes that go on forever. Like I would *gasp* fastforward for like 5-8 minutes, and it still be on the same gag scene.
Old 2014-10-05, 21:36   Link #28
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Love it. 8bit is GOD. Thanks for the added panty shots and JUICY YUUJI.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:46   Link #29
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

The main MC strikes me as an veteran returning to ordinary civie life after a tour.He is definitely former military or some sort of tacticool operator at some point in the past. He is tabbing with a fully loaded military Bergen rucksack for most of the beginning part like its no big deal, the only people who walk around civie side with tactical style backpacks are either actual current/former Law enforcement/military or wannabes, and he does not strike me as a mall ninja wannabe.

He has war scars. He trains and keeps to his workout routine. He is definitely far more mature than he lets on. Also this scene man,

i was just like that after i came back from my tour and went to university after i left the military. i cooked canned beans and other assorted food stuff with my MSR stove and jet boil in the dorm room, i didn't give a fuck.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:50   Link #30
steam fish

amane looks so slutty, i wonder if shes actually a prostitute or something lol
steam fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:56   Link #31
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Thus far, they did a good job, although I'm unsure if they should have teased that much.
Honestly, it's those very teases that sealed the deal for me.

While wondering what the source of my general uneasiness about everything was throughout the episode, seeing all that at the end piqued my interest to no bounds.

Can't wait for more. Man, this season is turning out to be ridiculously good.

EDIT:

Oh man, I forgot to mention the lines Yuuji used. They were hilarious! The masturbation and stripper one most so.

Last edited by Somnus; 2014-10-05 at 22:06.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:57   Link #32
liemtodaisu

She's slutty and cute at the same time . Love her.
liemtodaisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 22:09   Link #33
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If a VN player thinks "Trip, go and read this rather than watch the anime first. You won't regret it!", here's your chance to convince me. I have not yet been spoiled. Maybe I should play 5 hours of the VN a week just to stay ahead of the anime?
I'm right there with you, Triple_R. This episode made me very much want to go through the VN, even though it may reduce my enjoyment of the show. I just don't know if I could stand the weekly wait for this, based on the first episode.

I have a feeling I'm going to crack.
Old 2014-10-05, 22:21   Link #34
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
I'm right there with you, Triple_R. This episode made me very much want to go through the VN, even though it may reduce my enjoyment of the show. I just don't know if I could stand the weekly wait for this, based on the first episode.

I have a feeling I'm going to crack.
It's a very long story, probably one of the longest Visual Novels you can find anywhere outside Umineko; it took me maybe between 60 and 80 hours to read the whole thing, though I'm not a particularly fast reader. If you do read through it, would be interested to hear your thoughts sometime in the thread created for the VN.

It's good to see the first episode strike up this kind of interest. 8-Bit really did a good job here.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 22:36   Link #35
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Yes indeed, color me also impressed. That was a very effective first ep for me. I find myself being interested in every single character that appeared on the screen - even the principal. And the last 6-7 minutes were extraordinarily well done to pull the viewer in.

Will commit to this one tentatively for now.
Old 2014-10-05, 22:40   Link #36
MgMaster

This is a rare case where I actually played the VN of an anime,heh(although not entirely,just 2/5 routes,namely Amane & Yumiko's). To be honest,I think the anime can actually get rid of some of the issues I had with the VN,which is the pacing. The common route is WAAAAAY too long,IMO,and the fact that the anime's time constraints will inevitably have to shorten it is a good think in my book. That being said, I hope I don't bite my tongue and they shorten so much that most of the characterization along with some great comedy moments are lost....

But the 1st episode looked promising so we'll see. I hope they'll cut down on the panty shots though,that type of fanservice is really unnecessary and Grisaia can has better to offer such as

...is what I want to say but damn it,are we seriously going back to this type of censorship?

And here I thought it was a thing of the past and everyone started using hair or objects.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 22:42   Link #37
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
The main MC strikes me as an veteran returning to ordinary civie life after a tour.He is definitely former military or some sort of tacticool operator at some point in the past. He is tabbing with a fully loaded military Bergen rucksack for most of the beginning part like its no big deal, the only people who walk around civie side with tactical style backpacks are either actual current/former Law enforcement/military or wannabes, and he does not strike me as a mall ninja wannabe.

He has war scars. He trains and keeps to his workout routine. He is definitely far more mature than he lets on.
Yuuji is more mature than others is most senses, but he's still a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
This heavily depends of the watcher, because the very opposite effect can occur: by watching the anime first, some people won't be able to enjoy the original material because they are actually spoiled or the anime made so many shortcuts that lead to information that shouldn't even be there to begin with (like Deen's FSN involving HF stuff), which could impair/alter the way how the source material was supposed to be enjoyed.

So saying someone should watch the anime first then read the original material afterwards is absolutely not the best course of action in general. Should they want to experience the real thing the most, they should forgo the anime and try the original material first. For those who don't mind spoilers etc, watching the anime first might be the better approach.

______

Anyway, the visuals are fairly closer to Fumio/Watanabe's designs than the first teasers a year ago. Although a few things weren't too consistent (especially Yuuji's face), it had a decent presentation, and they make up for it with a good cinematography in general. I particularly liked the fact they have shown several sceneries and the like.
Meanwhile, I wasn't expecting Yuuji's manservice that early... balancing out, since we got Amane (albeit, censored) perhaps?

Spoiler for comparison with the VN, no spoilers:

Looking forwards to the next episode.
As a VN reader for this, I would say you'd be better off reading the VN first.

Spoiler for VN Comparison, no spoilers.:
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 22:48   Link #38
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
This is a rare case where I actually played the VN of an anime,heh(although not entirely,just 2/5 routes,namely Amane & Yumiko's). To be honest,I think the anime can actually get rid of some of the issues I had with the VN,which is the pacing. The common route is WAAAAAY too long,IMO,and the fact that the anime's time constraints will inevitably have to shorten it is a good think in my book. That being said, I hope I don't bite my tongue and they shorten so much that most of the characterization along with some great comedy moments are lost....

But the 1st episode looked promising so we'll see. I hope they'll cut down on the panty shots though,that type of fanservice is really unnecessary and Grisaia can has better to offer such as

...is what I want to say but damn it,are we seriously going back to this type of censorship?

And here I thought it was a thing of the past and everyone started using hair or objects.
Probably aired by a studio that falls under rules that requires them to do it in order to air the series and, sadly, it seems most studios fall under such rules it seems. At least it's not ALL censored for a bunch whereas some even censor something as commonplace as pantyshots with magical shadows, lol.

Anyway, this is giving a vibe similar to Akuma no Riddle, but less characters (which allows more time for character backgrounds and development) and not a whole bunch of other things, making it more simple. Never played the VN though, only got a bunch of VN images, lol.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:17   Link #39
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

They hinted all the routes to tease anime-only viewers. If you are not a VN reader you won't figure most of it
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:24   Link #40
DiabloCthulhu

Well, the first episode was actually pretty good!

I liked the whole 21:9 aspect ratio and how cinematographically were shot some scenes (slow mo hug attack was awesome). Though faces of characters (and some scenes in general) were drawn a little bit derpy at times. I guess they spend all of their budget animating Chiruchiru because good lord she's certainly moves a lot and gloriously (I wouldn't be surprised if Dogakobo helped out a little). And that is wonderful.

They cut a fair amount (or, as usual, decided to use some scenes in the next episodes), but it was mostly not really necessary and interesting scenes, so it's fine. Though I'm sad that they cut the cicada scene ("HEY! Where are yoo going!?" indeed ), but considering the amount of funny moments in the VN that's to be expected, you simply can't fit them all (speaking of funny moments: Yuuji's "I wouldn't say I'm very fond of jokes" was hilarious because just moments later he shows that he's very fond of jokes (or at least sarcastic remarks); Yuuji, stop bullshiting people ).

Very much liked that they kept the soundtrack from the VN. Because, firstly, it's pretty good, so no need to fix what ain't broken, and secondly, after 50+ hours of reading it's just ingrained in my brain now, so it wouldn't be the same without it . Also, the voice of Takahiro Sakurai fits Yuuji perfectly.

And oh boy, those last two minutes. Hell yeah I'm gonna hop on on this hype bus train. It would be really cool If 8bit indeed plans to adapt all 5 routes. All they have to do now is to finally announce that there's gonna be 2-cour and I'll be very happy (well, at least before they'll start screwing up the adaptation, which I of course hope doesn't happen).

What I didn't liked is the amount of teasing, especially
Spoiler for VN comparison:
Also, not a fan of pantyshots. They just seem out of place, especially considering that there's enough Amane and sexual jokes that you simply don't need to add pantyshots. There's enough fanservice as it is, basically.

P.S. Dat Juicy Yuuji's juicy butt.

Quote:
And while I respect that some here liked them, I'm not a fan of all the pantyshots. It honestly felt a bit excessive to me, partly since I don't recall seeing that in what I read of the VN.
If I remember correctly, there's only one pantyshot in the entire VN, and it's right at the start.

Quote:
The VN story came across as pretty strong to me, and not needing all of this added comedy, pantyshots, and all-around harem hijinks.
They didn't really add comedy or all-around harem hijinks though. If anything, they cut several funny scenes. Also, comedy and all-around harem hijinks are one of the best parts about the VN, so.

Quote:
As Klashikari said, it's ultimately up to you to decide how exactly you want to experience Grisaia no Kajitsu. I'd say give both methods a bash (i.e. "read VN before watching an episode" and "read VN after watching an episode") and see what way works best for you.

Last edited by DiabloCthulhu; 2014-10-06 at 00:54.
DiabloCthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, school