AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-23, 21:04   Link #181
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
If you live on the eastern slice of America, then technically this airs tomorrow, right? I not so good with my time zone synchs.
No, it airs in the early morning on Tuesday the 26th in Japan, so that would put it in the early afternoon Monday in North America.
Old 2010-01-23, 21:56   Link #182
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Curses! Oh well, at least it's not that far away. Thanks.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 02:28   Link #183
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
If you live on the eastern slice of America, then technically this airs tomorrow, right? I not so good with my time zone synchs.
It airs in 33 hours from the time of this post.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 12:32   Link #184
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

I've found out a little about the character Koumori if anyone's interested.
Spoiler for spoilers:

Last edited by SquirrelLuvsPnut; 2010-01-24 at 13:56. Reason: Another detail
Old 2010-01-25, 12:14   Link #185
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Well! I should have expected that after I've read storyboards.
Talking talking talking and fight scenes do not take more than one minute combined.

That doesn't mean the show is bad.
It's god damn great. Just don't expect action.
Well, following episodes have less dialogue. Twice as less than the first.
If you want to drop it due to boredom already, give it a chance, it should get better.
Old 2010-01-25, 12:24   Link #186
sirn
田舎者言うな

The first episode just aired. Here's my impressions:

Spoiler:

From the preview, episode 2 should be more interesting.

Last edited by sirn; 2010-01-25 at 12:35.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 12:38   Link #187
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^That picture sums up Take's beautiful art, perfectly.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:53   Link #188
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

I keep checking the anime blogs every 5 seconds. I wonder how long it will be before I get to see it. I'm so excited!
Old 2010-01-25, 15:00   Link #189
Kunagisa

Leaving thoughts for later, but I have to post this

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 15:01   Link #190
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Love this scene.
Spoiler:
Old 2010-01-25, 16:37   Link #191
Kunagisa

Yay, done watching. Here's a shot at a spoiler-free impression.

I gave up taking screenshots because my crappy Prt Screen + paste into Bitmap does it no justice at all. IT'S FREAKING AWESOME. We already went over how awesome Take's character design is, but the way they handle the art makes it very colorful and fun to watch. Animation is also done very, very well. This is definitely BR worthy.

Yes, there is very little action, but ... there wasn't that much in the first novel anyway, nothing major is skipped. The jokes are actually more funny here I think. The music is just awesome for me. I enjoyed this along with the animation the most. The sound effects are also very sweet.

Finally, for the VAs. Hoshoya and Tamura are exactly what I imagine them to be as Shichika and Togame. Suzuki made a decent Komori as well. Ikeda as the narrator gives off the old grandma telling story to her grandchildren feel, so that's job done properly. As for Nakahara as Nanami ... I'm somewhat ambivalent, more on that in the spoiler section.

Spoiler for complaints:

EDIT: Highly suggests not watching the RAW if you don't know the story or you will have a horrible impression of it since it is a heavy, heavy story centric episode.
Old 2010-01-25, 16:43   Link #192
Key Board
Carbon

The first episode reeks of light novel adaptation-itis

I guess purists will like it, but as an animated show it had considerable flaws.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 16:47   Link #193
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
The ONLY, ONLY real disappointment was the ED being so boring. The song is nice but it's just those two sitting there.
That's because they will have a new song every ending and apparently they didn't bother with actually animating twelve different sequences so they came up with something generic and nearly static. None the less, ED background is my new wallpaper and I'm not changing that any time soon.

Quote:
The OP is impressive obviously from the leak.
OP animation was seriously improved in certain places, in comparison to the leaked edition.

Quote:
I guess purists will like it, but as an animated show it had considerable flaws.
Not really. Talkative anime like this is nothing new to my opinion. Although 50 minutes long does make it seem like a drag...
Old 2010-01-25, 16:59   Link #194
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Not really. Talkative anime like this is nothing new to my opinion. Although 50 minutes long does make it seem like a drag...
There are so much stuff to explain though, and the conversation is where you get the personality of the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
The first episode reeks of light novel adaptation-itis

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the Fate/Stay Night theater version (pure action aiming at fans that already know the story). Either one has its merits and flaws, but I feel this one it is easier for new people to pick up. I would think the novel purist would enjoy less talk and more action (then they can feel like they have one up on others because they know more and the rest don't).
Old 2010-01-25, 17:10   Link #195
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I gave up taking screenshots because my crappy Prt Screen + paste into Bitmap does it no justice at all. IT'S FREAKING AWESOME. We already went over how awesome Take's character design is, but the way they handle the art makes it very colorful and fun to watch. Animation is also done very, very well. This is definitely BR worthy.
Let me stole some stuff off Areya for you. :P

sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 17:12   Link #196
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Let me stole some stuff off Areya for you. :P

I'm so for you.
Old 2010-01-25, 18:48   Link #197
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

As expected by the character design, Koumori is nuckin futz.
Old 2010-01-26, 00:41   Link #198
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Ugly capitalism's head.
BD and DVD release data was added to the official website right after the broadcasting.
The first BD will be released on April 7th, will contain the first episode, creditless OP and a bonus CD, which is as expected a single of Yousei Teikoku ending, as well as Atogatari and...
Nisio Isin written audio drama narrated by Togame's VA, Yukari Tamura: "Episode 0: Hollow Sword - Yasuri". According to description, the story will probably be Togame's reminiscence about the sixth Kyoto-Ryuu, Yasuri Mutsue.

Spoiler for cover art:
Old 2010-01-26, 00:43   Link #199
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 00:44   Link #200
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
There are so much stuff to explain though, and the conversation is where you get the personality of the characters.
[...]
On the other end of the spectrum, you have the Fate/Stay Night theater version (pure action aiming at fans that already know the story). Either one has its merits and flaws, but I feel this one it is easier for new people to pick up. I would think the novel purist would enjoy less talk and more action (then they can feel like they have one up on others because they know more and the rest don't).
Well I have to agree with those people who found this episode rather weak, but I have to admit I have only read the first novel partly so I don't know what we are building up to.

Using dialogue as a way to transmit story and doing it in a boring way are two very different things. Sadly Katanagatari never even once tried to be innovative or actually use the fact that anime is also a VISUAL medium, they just showed us two (sometimes three) people talking...if I wanted to have just people talking I could also listen to a drama CD or read the novel to begin with.

Bakemonogatari had a similar problem to solve and they did it (at least for me) by inserting some visual effects, metaphors or at least something else than only the two participants in a dialogue. Yeah, here they showed some stillframes passing by here and then, but I don't know if that should really be it.

Okay, it is still the first episode and they can still surpass this easily next episode as far as I read in some reviews. BUT as a first episode this did not that much of a good job, especially considering that it is one episode per month.

Again for me that was again an example for, what works on paper is not said to work on screen.

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy