AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-01-16, 12:41   Link #1461
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Is this accurate? Only missing Vita/PSP I suppose...

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 13:27   Link #1462
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

-snip-
Okay, it's just hilarious how utterly uninteresting the 360's exclusives are compared the PS3's. Yay, so much fitness and Kinect sports!
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 19:09   Link #1463
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

XB1 is the best selling home console for December in the US. I think that has to be expected seeing the supply they did last month.
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 19:52   Link #1464
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
XB1 is the best selling home console for December in the US. I think that has to be expected seeing the supply they did last month.
stats show that the ps4 has sold over a million more than xb1 since release.
Old 2014-01-16, 21:03   Link #1465
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
About 80% or so accurate.

There's games missing from both sides of the camp, like Witcher 2 & Splinter Cell for X360, but it's there.

Of course, you have the Xbox apologist arguing that chart is biased because it doesn't have the XBL Arcade games, so meh.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 00:04   Link #1466
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

There's games missing from both sides of the camp, like Witcher 2 & Splinter Cell for X360, but it's there.
I think it's because they were before 2010? I don't know...

Quote:
Of course, you have the Xbox apologist arguing that chart is biased because it doesn't have the XBL Arcade games, so meh.
XBL Arcade vs PSN only DLs and the POrtable games ?
Old 2014-01-17, 11:57   Link #1467
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Even that has been changing, albeit slowly. Having a gaming PC is keeping me from the PS4 and Xbox One simply because there really isn't that many games that won't also arrive on PC.
Japanese developers just don't work on PC, so it'll be a long time before a significant number of titles show up there. There are some titles moving to PC, but I doubt that it'll ever be a majority of titles. We can only hope that Trails in the Sky does well on Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
With regard to WiiU, assuming Steam Machines flop (from being overpromised/underdelivered if nothing else) WiiU may see a quick gain in popularity (as it already has); since it's the console with the most exclusives, smallest form factor, perfect for your kids, and most of the things you don't see on it are on your PC right now anyway. People have already hacked the controller as far as I can tell. Right now the best move nintendo could make is to just open the entire thing up and offer a extra device to allow it to communicate to your PC (it wouldn't go against their policy of "we are also a hardware manufacturer so F U").
There is almost no overlap between potential Steam box buyers and wii U buyers. Based on the price points and potential game libraries, Steam boxes are (mostly) designed to be an alternative for people looking at getting a PS4 or Xbone.

The Wii U itself is dead. Nintendo's latest earnings tell us what terrible shape it's in, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo were to scale back their plans for the platform. All of the currently announced games for the platform should still come out, but the fate of any unannounced games is very uncertain.

Quote:
Microsoft has flooded the U.S. market with Xbone supply at the expense of other territories. What this means is that 1. the demand in other territories is much softer, and 2. that Xbone demand in the U.S. will be met much sooner than PS4 demand. The December NPD indicates that Xbone supply hasn't quite hit demand while PS4 supply is far short of demand. currently, American reports have shown that Xbone stock is starting to pile up at retailers.

The January NPD is going to be the interesting one as it'll tell us whether this is still the case or not. If PS4 supply is still far from meeting demand, then Microsoft is going to lose their strongest territory.

Quote:

Both these games are on PC, so they wouldn't show up on the chart.
Old 2014-01-17, 13:26   Link #1468
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
With regard to WiiU, assuming Steam Machines flop (from being overpromised/underdelivered if nothing else) WiiU may see a quick gain in popularity (as it already has); since it's the console with the most exclusives, smallest form factor, perfect for your kids, and most of the things you don't see on it are on your PC right now anyway. People have already hacked the controller as far as I can tell. Right now the best move nintendo could make is to just open the entire thing up and offer a extra device to allow it to communicate to your PC (it wouldn't go against their policy of "we are also a hardware manufacturer so F U").
Nintendo gonna need that popularity, seeing their financial forecast going from 55 billions yen profit to 25 billions yen loss in net income doesn't look bright to them.

Quote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...i-u-games.html

Link to Nintendo's release: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140117e.pdf

Nintendo expects 2.8 million Wii-U sales down from 9 million and 3DS from 18 million down to 13.5 million.

3DS Software 80 million -> 66 million and Wii U software 38 million -> 19 million.
Also, most of Japanese games won't ever see PC release, so I don't really know why would people have to choose one over others.
Old 2014-01-17, 15:08   Link #1469
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There are some titles moving to PC, but I doubt that it'll ever be a majority of titles. We can only hope that Trails in the Sky does well on Steam.
That game isn't indicative of a move to PC. It was a PC game first, almost a decade ago, that got ported to PSP. Falcom has long since jumped ship.
Old 2014-01-17, 15:22   Link #1470
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
That game isn't indicative of a move to PC. It was a PC game first, almost a decade ago, that got ported to PSP. Falcom has long since jumped ship.
The shape of PC gaming in Japan is already well understood by Japanese developers, so the historical presence of Falcom or what have you in this platform is unimportant. What is important is that they've been discovering a market for JRPGs on Steam, mostly in the form of the Ys games, Carpe Fulgur's offerings, Dark Souls and so forth. If an ambitious localization project like Trails in the Skies turns out well, then other Japanese developers might start looking seriously at the PC as a viable platform.

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Also, most of Japanese games won't ever see PC release, so I don't really know why would people have to choose one over others.
will still be true though.
Old 2014-01-17, 16:36   Link #1471
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Japanese developers just don't work on PC, so it'll be a long time before a significant number of titles show up there. There are some titles moving to PC, but I doubt that it'll ever be a majority of titles. We can only hope that Trails in the Sky does well on Steam.
There has been a notable shift toward PC gaming from Japanese companies in the last few years. PC and console development have merged considerably (most titles are created on PC hardware now and then shifted over to console dev kits during development), and the PC market is quite healthy now thanks to efforts from companies like Steam.

While I don't expect that every Japanese developer or game will offer a PC version, or go exclusively PC, I do think the trend of seeing multiplatforms and doujin titles being offered on PC will continue to accelerate. It's no longer a market they can afford to ignore simply on the basis of it being smaller in Japan than everywhere else. Not with the traditional console business undergoing a rough transition or potential obsolescence due to emerging markets and technologies like smart phones/tablets. It's important to note that the reason companies like Square and Capcom are branching out to markets like iOS and PC has a lot to do with the damage the HD arms race and emerging markets have damaged the traditional console market and the need to secure revenue wherever they can. This is not including some boneheaded decisions which have burned those companies, of course.

As for the Nintendo discussion, I'd rather we shift that over to the Wii U thread.
Old 2014-01-17, 21:41   Link #1472
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
stats show that the ps4 has sold over a million more than xb1 since release.
Yeah.

Old 2014-01-18, 01:25   Link #1473
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
While I don't expect that every Japanese developer or game will offer a PC version, or go exclusively PC, I do think the trend of seeing multiplatforms and doujin titles being offered on PC will continue to accelerate.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't all doujin titles are released for the PC only up until now?
Old 2014-01-18, 03:23   Link #1474
cyberdemon

Quote:
Yeah.

official sources put ps4 at a total of 4.2 million sold while xb1 has a total of 3 million sold.
Old 2014-01-18, 03:35   Link #1475
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
official sources put ps4 at a total of 4.2 million sold while xb1 has a total of 3 million sold.
That NDP is for NA only.

World wide PS4 is out selling XB1... Well, World Wide = Europe at this point only.

But I'm sure Brazil is XBox territory... Lol.
Old 2014-01-18, 22:00   Link #1476
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
That NDP is for NA only.
To be more precise, they track US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia but the graph I posted was just for US hardware sales LTD. That's why PS4 is just 2m while XB1 is 1.8m.
Old 2014-01-19, 14:31   Link #1477
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Just completed Killzone Shadow Fall today. I must admit I'm surprised that I got around to completely it even though the first mission didn't leave a good impression on me. I like the stages where it's smaller and more narrow- less chance of buggers sneaking up on me. Depending on your perspective, you may or may not like the lack of hand holding, but I really wish they made your objectives a lot clearer. I guess it's good that they let you pick how you want to approach an area, but considering I'm not that good with this genre, I ended up just shooting my way through, but I guess others could appreciate it better.

I figure I use this to brush up my FPS skills for when Destiny eventually comes out.

EDIT:

Oh and also, why do all shooter games have a lack of good boss battles =_= the final stage is just generic waves of enemies.
Old 2014-01-19, 15:02   Link #1478
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't all doujin titles are released for the PC only up until now?
Yes, but not really through platforms like Steam. GOG has a few I think, but otherwise you kind of have to know about them and hunt them down. The "indie" community in Japan is very different from the western indie community. Here's a fairly recent article about the subject. There's other articles floating around about the scene over there as well.
Old 2014-01-20, 06:09   Link #1479
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
But I'm sure Brazil is XBox territory... Lol.
Nah, we manage to import just fine. Fsck PS4K, but no XBone, either.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 16:57   Link #1480
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Playstation 4 controller wear and thread + saving issues?

Anyone here have one and can comment on the validity?