AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-09, 21:10   Link #161
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
She constantly teases Lawrence.
Yeah, i like how the first episode demonstrated this. It gives me high hopes for seeing more of her teasing side in coming episodes --- it's a wonderful part i like in a character.
Old 2008-01-09, 21:17   Link #162
tebahpla
Not B&

any speculations for all of the series (manga/LN/anime)?

Spoiler for series:

edit:

i haven't read Vexx's post one page before this I posted this,

but yea I have to agree with that bittersweet ending in most series. i kinda feel empty everytime that freaking happens!!
tebahpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 21:32   Link #163
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
But that's the thing -- women, not teenagers. Why has a 250-year-old fertility goddess adopted the form of a 15-year-old girl? I hope there is actually a good reason why Horo takes that form. (Actually, I thought at first that Horo had possessed Chloe; or perhaps, Horo takes the form of whichever villager plays the role of the "wolf" during the harvest festival. In which case, lucky for Lawrence, the village chose to use Chloe that year.)
Well, my take on that would be that she is a goddess of fertility as Vexx previously stated. IMHO, it makes much more sense for her to show up as a ripe, youthful, "fertile" human rather than someone who's matured past their prime. While it could somewhat be a mild form of pandering to the readers' libidos (only the writer of the source material would know), I'd say the image definitely fits her now-discarded role of making the land healthy and the crop bountiful.

Last edited by Grimkill7; 2008-01-09 at 21:52.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 21:33   Link #164
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Let's not focus on the ending just yet and instead focus on the journey, shall we? More fun that way.
Old 2008-01-09, 21:33   Link #165
firsttry

Hey guys, seems like you have all watched and enjoyed this anime. I wonder if any of you was able to decipher the ED lyric. I have already spent quite a bit of time making vain attempts trying to catch the words. Her pronunciation is just TERRIBLE... This makes it impossible to sub the ED... LOL
firsttry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 21:46   Link #166
tebahpla
Not B&

Quote:
Let's not focus on the ending just yet and instead focus on the journey, shall we? More fun that way.
that's one of my dillemas, I can and will get too attached. I'd rather NOT know much about them so there would'nt be a big impact on me when such a thing happens.
tebahpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 21:47   Link #167
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttry View Post
Hey guys, seems like you have all watched and enjoyed this anime. I wonder if any of you was able to decipher the ED lyric. I have already spent quite a bit of time making vain attempts trying to catch the words. Her pronunciation is just TERRIBLE... This makes it impossible to sub the ED... LOL
But it has already been subbed.
Old 2008-01-09, 21:54   Link #168
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebahpla View Post
that's one of my dillemas, I can and will get too attached. I'd rather NOT know much about them so there wouldn't be a big impact on me when such a thing happens.
Sadly I can feel that I'm going to be following this one and so will get attached to the characters. So regardless of the ending its too late for that . As a person who if things go bad at the end and will float around with a dark cloud over himself for a few days. I can understand getting too attached. Oh well, for now will just follow the journey and see how things go.

Do like the thinking on why Horo would look as young as she does. Could make sense considering the role she has been playing. Also may just relate with a desire to appear youthful.
Old 2008-01-09, 22:11   Link #169
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Felt like uploading all the illustrations from the first volume of the novel:

Spoiler for Instant browser lengthening:
Old 2008-01-09, 22:19   Link #170
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

Wow...although there is really nothing extraordinary about the first episode it kept me interested unlike the other winter animes.So far I like it alot.The medival theme is pretty original(compared to everything that is coming out the past year..).I think Horo is the glue for the series so far and its doing a good job.She has that mysterious aura of gloom but masks it from the viewers to a good extent.I think it reminds me of the novel "The Mayor of Casterbridge" in terms of setting.The wheat fields are just like I imagined they would be in the novel.

As for the opening and closing,its great.Possibly as good as it gets for this type of anime.Very relaxing with a tinge of melancholy.The ending theme was "awesome".I admit the pronounciation is off but the singing just had some sort of indescribable moe-ness(japanese girl sing in english..love it).No complants with the lyrics too.Best anime of the winter season so far for me,beating out persona and H20 quite easily.

Last edited by noob3d; 2008-01-12 at 04:49.
noob3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 22:20   Link #171
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Wow! Very impressed with the first episode even though very clueless at the moment at what direction the story will flow. Beautiful opening song with equally moving lyrics. I don't know when was the last time I've followed every words in the karaoke subbed by a subber. Props to BSS for arranging the words as such. The ending song is equally fitting to the show. The particular pronounciation of the English only enhances the lyrics in my opinion. The song is good because it is in Engrish.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 22:27   Link #172
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Just saw that ADTRW released their take on episode 1 and the tag line on "that bittorrent site" says that it could be HD since the "staff text is so clear I could cry!" ...or not.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 22:37   Link #173
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
But that's the thing -- women, not teenagers. Why has a 250-year-old fertility goddess adopted the form of a 15-year-old girl?
As it were, Horo as she is presented now, seems like yet another exercise in wish-fulfilment for vulnerable young men who are afraid of dating real women. (Yes, yes, I know, the usual stereotype of Japanese otaku, but hey, Horo isn't exactly a break from the norm too, you know?)
T'is true. Horo is moe. She is 15 yo and the target population (20yo males, since this is a seinen title) is probably eating this up. Chloe also had pigtails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Chloe was being practical, not idiot. This is the way many marriages often occur - a confluence of desires and interests. She's admired him for a long time, she's done well because of him, they have a lot of common interests, she finds him attractive in many ways - she wants to build a long stable *secure* relationship with a nice man. Its a practical kind of warmth and love. She seems to resorting to "look at me dammit, I'm a woman not just a business partner!" and he's responding in the "typical male lead manner" by astonishment and pretending the signals MUST be different than they look.
But she was trying to get him into a business deal and then bed. When appealing to his financial side didn't work, then she tried sex appeal. She needs to make up her mind. She also seems not able to separate business partner from marriage partner. This situation is analogous to trying to bed your teacher. This series may be set in the way distant past but viewers are in the present so her behaviour doesn't slide imo.

Of course, she nicely contrasts Horo who knew that the relationship initially is a business one and treated it that way.
Old 2008-01-09, 22:38   Link #174
firsttry

Quote:
But it has already been subbed.
Wow...really?

I didn't know it has been subbed already. Could I have more information on that subbed version you mentioned? Thanks
Old 2008-01-09, 22:40   Link #175
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Wow...really?

I didn't know it has been subbed already. Could I have more information on that subbed version you mentioned? Thanks
BSS released a sub yesterday and ADTRW just released one today. Speedy.

Hmm, looking at it, ADTRW's script sounds a bit better. Anyone have an expert opinion on which subs are more accurate they'd like to share?
Old 2008-01-09, 22:57   Link #176
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But she was trying to get him into a business deal and then bed. When appealing to his financial side didn't work, then she tried sex appeal. She needs to make up her mind. She also seems not able to separate business partner from marriage partner. This situation is analogous to trying to bed your teacher. This series may be set in the way distant past but viewers are in the present so her behaviour doesn't slide imo.

Of course, she nicely contrasts Horo who knew that the relationship initially is a business one and treated it that way.
Or you can say it the other was round, and think that she is using the whole "business partner" excuse in order to get closer to him. She wants him to see her as an adult, which to her he isn't feeling that considering that he wasn't seduced yet I see her intentions as morale but probably not the best way to get your man - rather than that she should be more direct with her question.
"Do you think of me as a partner or woman?"

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 22:59   Link #177
firsttry

Quote:
BSS released a sub yesterday and ADTRW just released one today. Speedy.

Hmm, looking at it, ADTRW's script sounds a bit better. Anyone have an expert opinion on which subs are more accurate they'd like to share?
Thanks, I have just started downloading.
Hope they have an accurate(or close to) translation of the ending song cause I really want to know its lyric, just can't wait until they release the CD
Old 2008-01-09, 23:01   Link #178
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Well that was a very nice first episode. The first thing that caught my attention was the musical score. It really did give me that fiefdom sort of middle ages feel. Lawrence so far is a very interesting and nice to watch male lead. Especially since he gets so worked up easily. Granted i probably would have had the same reaction if i found a naked half wolf have human girl sleeping in my cart... well then again i watch so much anime maybe not

Horo i adore already shes funny, surprising and loves to tease. Several times she played with Lawrence and it worked so well. Their chemistry will interesting to see as the story progresses as their relationship (can you fall in love with ancient wolf goddess? i see no reason not) . Chole i also enjoyed, watching her trying to make a business deal with Lawrence was rather forward. But it was obvious how she felt about him from the start. Oh he noticed she grew up physically but mentally hes still a guy and most of the time we are idiots lol.

Animation i had no problems with nor did i have any problems with the voicing. As a matter a fact i loved Horos voice. Looking forward to more and guys post those pictures of Horo when you find them im sure there will be so super Kawii ones eventually for some sig material .
Old 2008-01-09, 23:01   Link #179
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Thanks, I have just started downloading.
Hope they have an accurate(or close to) translation of the ending song cause I really want to know its lyric, just can't wait until they release the CD
It's pretty cute lyrics. Sunshine pie, apple eyes, wish around the world, etc..

Considering uploading moar novel images. Gotta sort through them all...
Old 2008-01-09, 23:04   Link #180
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Hmm didn't mind the ED though I liked the OP a lot more myself.

Have to agree Horo is a great character that I like plenty after just the first episode. First thing she asks for after waking up is booze . Just an interesting character with some real depth. After all as she said people had been losing interest in her and if she appeared in her real form they would just run in terror. Pretty lively with teasing Lawrence and I'm sure we can expect plenty more of that.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen